Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ***

An enjoyable (especially 8d) crossword this morning however it was over before I finished drinking my first cup of tea.

Highlight the space between the curly brackets to see the answer.

1. Keep changing dialect (7)
{CITADEL} – An anagram (changing) of DIALECT is also a stronghold.

5. Folds as credit falls slightly (7)
{CREASES} – CR (credit) and a word meaning to lessen produces the sort of fold made by pressing or wrinkling.

9. State not fancied by many (5)
{REALM} – The definition is state (territory or kingdom). You need a word that means occurring in fact or actuality and then add M (Roman numeral for a 1,000).

10. Tender feeling from foe — in fact that’s odd (9)
{AFFECTION} – An anagram (that’s odd) of FOE IN FACT.

11. Divine, the French crew’s accommodation (10)
{FORECASTLE} – A word that means to estimate or calculate in advance (for example the weather) is followed by LE (the French) is a part of a ship at the bow where the crew is quartered.

12. Engagement that keeps me quiet (4)
{MESH} – This is the sort of engagement associated with gears coming together. ME and an interjection used to urge silence.

14. An end of greed perhaps? Paradise! (6,2,4)
{GARDEN OF EDEN} – An anagram (perhaps) of AN END OF GREED.

18. Money to be spent like water? (6,6)
{LIQUID ASSETS} – cash (or valuables that are easily convertible into cash).

21. Split the rent (4)
{TEAR} – Double definition, to go at full speed and another word for a rip.

22. Disturbed night? A rest would be smashing! (10)
{SHATTERING} – An anagram (disturbed) of NIGHT A REST.

25. Always go for this type of growth? (9)
{EVERGREEN} – A charade of a word that means at all times, plus a colour used to signify go is a word that means to be perennially fresh is also foliage that lasts all year.

26. A hunter that’s very highly placed (5)
{ORION} – Is a constellation that contains the stars Betelgeuse and Rigel.

27. Staff of office? (7)
{TYPISTS} – Not sceptre, but people who operate typewriters.

28. Business returns, thanks to college (7)
{TAKINGS} – TA (thanks) and the “***** College of Our Lady and St. Nicholas in Cambridge”.

1. Artist enters restaurant for a bottle (6)
{CARAFE} – RA (artist) is placed inside a small informal restaurant is a container used to serve water or wine.

2. Eat out on badly run vessel (3,3)
{TEA URN} – An anagram (out) of EAT and (badly) RUN.

3. Comrade is disturbed with nervous reaction from American party (10)
{DEMOCRATIC} – An anagram (is disturbed) of COMRADE is followed by a spasmodic muscular movement for a word that is relating to, or characteristic of an American political party.

4. Charges youngsters nothing to go in (5)
{LOADS} – A word that means charging a firearm with ammunition is constructed from a group of young men with O (nothing) placed inside.

5. Belt buckles worn by men (9)
{CUFFLINKS} – A blow or slap with the open hand (belt) plus a collection of fastenings could at a stretch be converted into fastenings for shirt sleeves.

6. A head seen among teachers (4)
{EACH} – A single person for example can be found inside the word t(each)ers.

7. Posts include gratuity and wages (8)
{STIPENDS} – Place another word for a small sum of money given to someone for performing a service inside (include) a word that means conveys to get another word for fixed and regular payments.

8. Familiar name for a tanner (8)
{SUNSHINE} – Not sixpence (my initial thought). This tanner shines during the day normally. (Well it does in France at the moment but not so much in the UK.) Is also a light-hearted or ironic term of address.

13. Out of trouble, sailing past Holland (3,3,4)
{OFF THE HOOK} –A phrase that can mean free from blame, could also describe sailing past a particular place in western Holland.

15. These lads may turn out to be immortal (9)
{DEATHLESS} – An anagram (may turn out) of THESE LADS.

16. Give abuse to patients’ outing? (3-5)
{ILL-TREAT} – To behave cruelly or harshly towards something, could also describe taking sick people out to somewhere that they would appreciate.

17. Settle, or prepare for a fight (6,2)
{SQUARE UP} – A phrase that means to settle a bill or debt, could also describe two fighters setting themselves up for a brawl.

19. Make things fast with a cogwheel (6)
{PINION} – Double definition, a word that means to bind a person’s arms is also a small cogwheel that engages or is engaged by a larger cogwheel or a rack.

20. They don’t mind their own business (6)
{AGENTS} – People who are empowered to act for or represent others.

23. Belief unchanged on reflection (5)
{TENET} – An opinion or principle held as being true is also a palindrome.

24. Agnes loses heart and grows old (4)
{AGES} – Simply remove the N from Agnes.

The Quick crossword pun: {river} + {berate} = {reverberate}

1. Wozza
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink

No crossword in the iPad again today! If anyone can send a copy I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

W

Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

PDF sent.

• Colmce
        Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Another beleaguered iPad user, what a useless shower they are.
        Would be grateful for a PDF as well.

• Libellule
          Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Sent.

2. Collywobbles
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

What a nice crossword but, like Libellule, it was over rather quickly. Also liked 8d. Now, how can I fill the rest of the day before the Tour?

Many thanks to the setter and Dave although I did sail through this one fairly easily

3. Scrabo
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

As i managed to finish so early for once do like me and go on a little tour of your own. That will give your day a real sense of achievement.

• Collywobbles
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

You mean, on my bike Scrabo. There’s a lot of hills round here

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

round here too! however next week we go back to Barmouth and this time I am taking my bike (haven’t ridden it for at least 10 years!) as it is so flat there

• Scrabo
        Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Every hill has a downside though. Plenty of hills here too but I think it’s good for me!

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Very good Scrabo :-)

4. toadson
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Enjoyable .. esp 11a, 8d and 16d. Thanks to all involved today.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Nice crossword rather spoilt by poor clues in the top right. 5d, 6d and to some extent 8d leave a vague feeling of disatification esp 5d. Although perhaps obvious I did like 18a. Many thx to Libellule for the explanations to clues for which I had an answer but didnt fully understand. Off now to see the Olympic torch pass through a nearby village.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Hi Brian and well done again, I liked 8d thought it was clever & though it took me ages to see 6d I thought it was a good clue

• Peter
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Just got back from seeing the Olympic torch in Stoke Mandeville. Where were you, Brian.
      definitely a 1.5 star/3 star for me. I didn’t like the top right hand corner but enjoyed 16 down.

6. mary
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle and thanks for hints, though not needing them today, a lovely crossword from Rufus once again last two in were 16d and 27a, favourite clue 24d, I love these type of clues, for 19d I took it as ‘make things fast’ = ‘pin on’ with ‘a’ = i – one inside, but obviously not :-) although the result is the same, I’m glad it was fairly easy today as I have a headache (not self inflicted) and toothache!!!

• Collywobbles
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Good morning Mary, sorry to hear about your aches and pains. Agreed on 8d but I also thought that 2d was clever. I didn’t realise it was Rufus who is one of my favourites. I’m off out on my bike now, as recommended by Scrabo, prior to sitting down to the Tour

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

enjoy collywobs :-)

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Poor you – hope the headache and toothache get better soon.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath :-)

7. Colmce
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Apart from 6d really enjoyed this puzzle, always good to do a puzzle with no outside help or electric aids.

Thanks Libelulle for review and to Rufus for puzzle.

8. Collywobbles
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Can somebody advise me on the Toughie. I havn’t done it before but I am increasingly getting spare time after solving the Cryptic more quickly.
    Is it harder that the Cryptic? Is it the same sort of clues? Where can I find it on the website?
    Help would be appreciated

I’ve found it on the website but todays’ has not been printed yet so I presume that it is published later

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Hi collywobs as far as I’m concerned toughies are what they say a lot harder, personally I’ve tried a few but find I dont have the time to spend on them that I would need to give to it, it’s worth a shot and sue normally says if it’s worth a try for us lesser solvers, if you find it too tough try doing the across clues with the hints, if they are up and then try doing the down clues without or vice versa, either way give them a shot you may enjoy it

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

by the way that was a quick bike ride :-D

• Collywobbles
          Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Thanks for your advice Mary. I havn’t gone yet because it is Lunch time here but I will be off in 30 minutes or so. I’ll have a look at the Toughie but, as you say, it might be too tough for me at the moment

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

The toughie review is usually later appearing than the normal cryptic

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Especially today when there isn’t a Toughie! :D

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Hee hee yes I forgot!

• Collywobbles
              Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Why is there not one today?

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Not sure collywobs there just isn’t on a Monday

• Collywobbles
                  Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Is it on every other day Mary?

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri

• Collywobbles
                      Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Tks Mary, I’m off now, honestly

• Collywobbles
          Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Tks Mary, I’m off now to emulate the Tour before I settle down to watch it

• Brian
        Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Excellent advice, will give that a go. I must admit that the toughie always overfaces me as we used to say when I was eventing. Hope your toothache improves, it is one of the worst pains to have not the least because you know it will mean paying a visit to that purveyor of pain and debt, THE DENTIST.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

As you can see Brian, there isn’t a toughie on a Monday, just Tues to Fri inc.
          Hoping to avoid the dentist this time, I dare say I’ll know soon, maybe ate too many chocs yesterday!

• Patsyann
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

You won’t find a toughie to-day – they are only Tuesday, Wed, Thurs and Friday. Difficulty levels are changeable, depending on who the settter is. Some days I can’t even get started, most days I manage about three quarters and on much rarer occasions I finish it with a bit of help!

• Libellule
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

You could always have a go at Rufus in the Guardian. The crosswords are available free on their website:

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks Libelulle might do that later

• Libellule
          Posted July 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Mary,
          Got a little spare time to take a look. Its on a par with a normal Monday DT Rufus (**/***) imho.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

thnks Libelulle i’ve just printed it off

Posted July 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Libelulle, I really enjoyed it,slightly different but I can’t really say why :-D

• Collywobbles
        Posted July 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Libellule, I’ll give it a go

9. BigBoab
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Thanks Rufus for an enjoyable if extremely untaxing crossword, thanks also to Libellule for the review.

10. John
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Just downloaded the iPad edition specifically to do the cryptic crossword and it’s not there. I see from other posts this is a regular problem? What’s the beef?

Can I get a copy on the iPad or must I use a PDF?

• Colmce
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

It’s happened twice in the last week, and I think twice more in the last six months so not terribly regular but v irritating when it does occur.
      The latest omissions seem to have been precipitated by migration to Newsstand.

Still if all else fails there’s always the Grauniad.

11. Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Excellent puzzle today – Made a change using a pen and paper. many Thanks again Gazza -I Pad edition :(

Thought 8d was going to be first but ended up being last in and my favourite clue. * and **** from me.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I agree with the 1* for difficulty – I probably did this one more quickly than I’ve ever done a crossword. 26a and 19 and 20d were my last ones. Don’t suppose it matters at all but I didn’t think of the Cambridge college with 28a – thought of London, mainly because one of our daughters was there.
    I liked 18 and 22a and 13d. Best 8d.
    Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Yet another day of the grey miseries here! Garden full of frogs!!

• Libellule
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Kath,
      Its was the Cambridge one I thought of, so I used it in the hint. Had a friend who went there a number of years ago. However I suspect that Rufus was referring to the college in London as per your comment.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks – it doesn’t really matter, does it. They’re both colleges. You thought of one because of your associations with it and I thought of the other (or another – am sure there are more) because of mine.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I obviously wasn’t in the Rufus zone today as this one took me longer than usual (which isn’t that long but…) I did like 8d. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule too.

As well as Rufus in the Graun, why not give their Quiptic a go. It is by the lovely Arachne today and is a bit trickier than the usual Quiptic which are crosswords designed for those new to cryptic crossword solving.

14. Senf
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for another gentle start to the week. Got this one done last night before Inspector Lewis had solved the case on PBS. Favourites were 5d and 18a. Now, I have plenty of time to concentrate on the second MPP.

15. Derek
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Pleasant puzzle from Rufus.

Faves : 11a, 14a, 18a, 26a, 5d, 8d, 13d & 19d.

Weather in the Var is magnificent!

Greetings to all!

• Franco
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Nice move, Derek!

We should all move further South at this time of year – especially – this year!

What’s on the Menu Tonight?

16. beaver
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Gentle start suitable for a monday, even Andy Murray could have served this one up!-too cruel anywhere- to quote a scottish play’

17. William Geddes
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

One and a bit on the blacksheepometer today but would have been less than one if not for a couple of rum clues – 9A and 20D

Altogether a bit of a curate’s egg.

I really didn’t like 8D and part of this was because I’d written ‘sixpence’ in for that and also ‘head’ for 6D.

27A, 21A, 26A, and 24D all either ho hum or unenjoyable I’m sorry to say. So the Man from Del Monte he say 1*/1*

18. Wozza
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Well at least I got a reply from The Telegraph today – see below!

Thank you for contacting The Telegraph.

We are aware that the cryptic crossword is unavailable globally in today’s Telegraph for iPad edition. This is now an established issue affecting all users.

Please be assured; the absence of the puzzle today is under urgent investigation with our editorial/technical teams who are working imminently towards correcting this.

We’d greatly appreciate your patience whilst we address the problem and we apologise for any inconvenience this causes you. As soon as we have an update, we will of course let you know.

Should you require any further assistance in the interim, please do not hesitate to contact us on [email protected]

• Wozza
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

BTW there was (inevitably) no reference to my request for a credit or compensation for the recent problems.

• Franco
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Oh! No! Not Again!

I’m a paper buyer! :grin:

Not yet another 2-3 weeks/months of complaints!

Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

But how would you feel Franco if due to some fault or error the puzzle was left out of the paper for a couple of months

Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

particularly if you were buying the paper just for the crossword :-)

• Franco
          Posted July 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Very disgruntled! I would insist on the DT giving my money back!

(But, apparently, they DonT listen!!)

Good Luck! Folks!!

Posted July 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

:-D

• Wozza
              Posted July 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

and another email from them – it get’s worse…

Dear Sir/Madam,

As you will no doubt be aware, an email communication was sent to you from this Telegraph account this afternoon at approximately 4.20pm with regards to the Telegraph for iPad.

Please be advised that this email was sent to 160 Telegraph readers simultaneously, in order to acknowledge and confirm reports that the Cryptic crossword has been omitted from today’s edition.

Regrettably, the recipients email addresses were erroneously populated in the “To” field, rather than the “Bcc” field, resulting in the email addresses being visible to each recipient. I can confirm this was a human error.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this oversight and rest assured that we are taking steps to ensure this does not occur again. Should you require any further assistance, or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Colmce
                Posted July 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Yes when I got that one I sent a pretty dusty response, bunch of incompetents.

• Attila Thehun
                Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

I’m rather tempted to write to the ICO. [Where’s that ‘evil grin’ smiley?]

• pommers
                  Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Try this one :-

Angry smiley face

• Attila Thehun
                    Posted July 10, 2012 at 7:12 am | Permalink

I’m indebted to you. Thankfully, there is a Cryptic this morning.

• Attila Thehun
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

“This is now an established issue affecting all users.”

Worrying, that! An “established issue” suggests it will continue.

“… working imminently towards correcting this.”

So not actually working on correcting it at the time the email was sent.

Or maybe a copy of Chambers is needed!

19. The Buffer
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Another gentle start to the week, very enjoyable. Thanks Libellule and Rufus.
    Academic point, I suppose, and it doesn’t appear to have misled anyone but, 11a is not crew accommodation. It is the upper deck area of a ship, forward of the bridge up to the bow. It accommodates two capstans, normally and the cables (large chains) which retain the anchors in their hawses. Immediately below this area is the cable locker, and below that lies the heads,(toilets and washrooms on one side, with the cell, ((naughty corner)) on the other). Oh, and you might find a large revolving weapon just abaft the capstans.Just thought you’d like to know.

• Hrothgar
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Yes, I thought that.
      And it’s normally abbreviated to” Fo’c’sle”
      And I think it’s where on-board prisoners are chained up.
      Elegant crossword, as ever, easily within my time but/except pondered too long over 8d, Duh!
      Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

• Attila Thehun
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Well, Chambers has it as the “quarters of the crew” … in the iPad edition, at least.

20. Addicted
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Managed that one quite quickly for a change, even though I actualy DID enter “sixpence” for 8d!! That threw me for a while, but got there eventually. Still don’t really understand 9a despite the hints?? Am I just being thick? But thanks Libellule and setter.

• Libellule
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

As per 15×2
      Definition: STATE, not fancied REAL (not imagined) + M (1000 Roman Numeral) (many).
      Simples :-)

21. Rufus
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

With your user name being the Buffer, it is extremely likely that you know your ships.
    However, I first went to sea in the RN at age 16, in 1949, after training at the notorious HMS Ganges – when the lash was still in use. When I became a killick (Leading Seaman) at 17 I was put in charge of the forecastle mess. We were surrounded, as you mention, by the cable lockers and when we went to sea at night, were awoken by the noise of the anchor cables, especially when the cable came to the “Bitter End” (the derivation of that phrase).
    I am reminded of the old joke of the Boatswain’s Mate (known in the RN as the Buffer) coming across a rating obviously wanting to make a visit to the heads (the lavatories), dancing around and grimacing. “Well, why don’t you go” he asked. “I can’t, Buffs” was the reply ” It’s Stand-Easy”.
    When I was 22 and flying as a Lieutenant in the Fleet Air Arm, I had the luxury of a cabin at the other end of the ship, on the stern, under the flight deck, where it was much worse, with aircraft landing every few seconds directly overhead at busy times.

• Franco
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

That’s the longest Rufus clue I’ve ever seen! Many thanks for all the shorter ones!

• Attila Thehun
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

A colleague was engaged in an investigation (on behalf of HM, rather than the RB) on Ark Royal. He was spotted in the wardroom with his feet on the table and was remonstrated with in terms of, “You wouldn’t do that at home, would you?”. He allegedly replied, “Well I don’t have aeroplanes taking off from my roof, either!”. He wasn’t a Navy man.

22. Little Dave
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I thought this was going to be easy peasy but was not to be for me! Failed to get 16d, 19d and 21a. Otherwise okay but disappointed not to finish it. DOH!

23. The Buffer
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Well fancy that, Rufus turning out to be a fellow former Ganges boy! 1960 vintage myself of Blake Division and corporal punishment was still in use, known as “cuts”. I made Killick at 19 and was drafted to South Queensferry, after Middle East and S. American service, aboard a Minesweeper as The Buffer; yes, and it still sticks. I too was selected for Wardroom training when the Service decided that suitable candidates should be sought from below decks. I opted for a safer bet and qualified in commercial insurance in civvy street. The pension’s better!
    Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.

• Hrothgar
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Many thanks indeed, Rufus.
      It is a pleasure to stand corrected.

24. Marian
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Goodness you are all so clever – I look forward to a Monday , as it is the only day I stand any chance of doing anything whatsoever – and certainly not by the end of my first cup of tea !!
    The rest of the week remains a mystery – although with the aid of Big Dave I am trying to learn what on earth these clues are all about – thanks and keep up the good work

• Posted July 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Marian

You too should keep up the good work!

• Franco
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Marian…..most of us are not clever at all! Try coffee!

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I agree with Franco – it’s coffee that you need! This is a wonderful “place”. I have learnt so much in the last couple of years – everyone is lovely, helpful and completely non-judgemental. You have no worries about ever being made to feel stupid – just ask and someone always replies, usually within minutes. Good luck, and keep going. :smile:

Posted July 10, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Three years ago I was just like you, now through lots of perservation and with the help of this blog I find with a little help I finish the crossword everyday, however I do not drink tea or coffee and even if I did it would take me at least half a dozen cups!!!
      The first puzze I ever finished without any help (there haven’t been that many) was on a Monday, Mondays have remained my favourite day and Rufus my favourite setter :-)

Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Libellule for the review & hints. Found it all ok except 8d, needed the hint. Favourite was 11a.

26. Attila Thehun
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly p***ed-off this morning, when I discovered – only when settled in my seat on the train – that the Cryptic was missing yet again from the iPad edition. Once seems like carelessness, twice in a few days looks more like stupidity. I do think they’re using the same programmers as a certain High Street bank. As I subscribed specifically to do the crossword – for the news I receive a daily digest – I think an extension to the subscription is in order. Mind you, I’m still waiting for a reply to three separate emails of complaint.

A renowned newspaper done down by the modern disease of apathy. No doubt, Hutber’s Law at work, as I said the other day … and he was a Telegraph man.

27. Captain Duff
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, some clever clues. Last in and probably my favourite was 8d. */****. Many thanks to Rufus & Libelulle

28. Ainsley
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Bring me sunshine bring me loads
    It’s been ages since it showed
    in this liquid and evergreen realm

29. andy
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

thanks Rufus and Libellule,for helping me through today, Been a horrible weekend, RIP Thabo. And as for the drunk driver who smashed him into a wall, I have nothing but contempt.

Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Oh no – poor you, poor Thabo – the hero of the moment a few months ago. I’m nearly in tears. I’m SO sorry. Re-phrase that – I AM in tears. :sad:

• andy
        Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you Kath, much appreciated thoughts for my boy and what he did for me. Cynthia and Cuthbert a bit lost at the mo, I might be for a bit.

• pommers
      Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

SHIT!

Not much else to say, my thoughts are with you.

• Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Andy – I really don’t know what to say.
      He was so brilliant when he saved you on the canal towpath.
      Have a hug from me and give one to both Cynthia and Cuthbert too – you’re right, they’ll be missing him as much as you are.

30. pommers
    Posted July 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I was going to comment on the puzzle but after hearing abouit Thabo I now can’t see it as that important – it’s only a puzzle. A dog that saves your life is something else.

31. Rufus
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Hi Buffer! After the Nozzer’s (new joiners) at Ganges, I joined Hawke division but, playing football for the ship against the local Borstal (true!), I spent time in hospital at Chatham before resuming in the same division as you , Blake. Went to sea in 1949. Changed to flying 1952, left RN 1963. Started setting for Birmingham Post, so next year will be my 50th as a professional compiler.
    Hope you enjoyed the Navy as I did – I only joined to see the world! And I did.

32. The Buffer
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Rufus. Sorry to be so late in replying; in retirement I still try to put in a decent day’s work. At the moment I am carving walking stick heads – crooks with Acorns, Thistles etc. So, we were serving at the same time since I didn’t leave the service until 1966, being discharged early, courtesy of Haslar. After Ganges came Vernon, Monkton, Lion (South American tour ’62), Dolphin, Eskimo (Middle East ’63) and Wasperton (Buffer). I took my Killicks’ exam (part of it) on Ark Royal.
    It was a stroke of luck, really, being still young enough to start a new living. I went into commercial insurance, qualified and finished, eventually, as Branch Manager.
    Nice to swap notes, and I wasn’t querying your clue;so please take no offence; I just happen to think of the Fo’c’stle as a deck. Have you seen the photographs of Ganges on the ‘Net recently? Oh dear!! The Association has an interesting site.
    Yes, I saw the world; not many RN personnel get to come through the Panama Canal.