Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

Warm and sunny south of the Loire today, and we have normal standard Rufus fare to enjoy as well.

You can see the answer if you highlight the space between the curly brackets.

1. Shrewd fielder, a high flier (10)
{FLYCATCHER} – A bird that feeds on insects while airborne could also possibly be a sharp slip fielder.

9. Turn to abuse storyteller (4)
{LIAR} – Reverse (turn) a word that means to express objections or criticisms in bitter or abusive language to get someone who tells fibs.

10. Swirling in and out in flood (10)
{INUNDATION} – An anagram (swirling) of IN AND OUT IN.

11. Possibly deduce it’s extracted (6)
{EDUCED} – Another anagram (possibly) this time of DEDUCE. It’s a fairly obvious anagram though, only one letter needs to be moved.

12. Tried to get well? (7)
{DRILLED} – How you might try and find an oil well.

15. Fast food eaten without hesitation in German port (7)
{HAMBURG} – Remove ER from Wimpy’s favourite dish to get the second largest city in Germany.

16. Wild party with many a man of music (5)
{RAVEL} – Add L (many, Roman numeral for 50) to an all-night dance party to get a French composer famous for Bolero.

17. Place it in South-East (4)
{SITE} – Place IT in SE.

18. He makes rings round road races (4)
{OTTO} – A mans name is formed from putting OO (rings) around TT (Isle of Man road races).

19. A song from little Sarah in the afternoon (5)
{PSALM} – Place a diminutive form of Sarah inside PM to get a sacred song

21. Play Ted reviewed with expertise (7)
{ADEPTLY} – An anagram (reviewed) of PLAY TED.

22. Dreams of working without a life of slavery (7)
{SERFDOM} – An anagram (working) of DREAMS OF with the A removed (without).

24. I’d start to inveigh against unusually coy stupidity (6)
{IDIOCY} – ID, the first (start) letter of inveigh and an anagram (unusually) of COY.

27. The first man to take over (7,3)
{OPENING BAT} – The first player to take his guard in the first over at cricket is known as this.

28. Three students seen around university in break (4)
{LULL} – The definition is break or a short period of calm. L = Student, U = University.

29. Landing area and stairs to decorate (6,4)
{FLIGHT DECK} – The sort of landing area you might find on an aircraft carrier could also be a set of stairs that need to be adorned.

2. Family business (4)
{LINE} – Double definition, ancestry or lineage or ones trade or occupation.

3. Scrub cooker top and clean out (6)
{CANCEL} – Take the first (top) letter of cooker and add an anagram (out) of CLEAN to get a word that means to revoke or annul.

4. A paid informer (7)
{TEACHER} – A person whose occupation is to educate others.

5. Show that may need cutting? (4)
{HAIR} – A show that was also a “hippie” rock musical, could also be the reason why you are visiting a barbers.

6. Restoration novel in authentic setting (7)
{RENEWAL} – Put a three-letter word for never used, inside a four-letter word for true or actual to get the act of restoring something.

7. Sound edict possibly ignored (10)
{DISCOUNTED} – An anagram (possibly) of SOUND EDICT.

8. Two who marry become one (10)
{BRIDEGROOM} – Another word for a man who is about to marry can also be two words for a man and a woman about to marry, if you see what I mean.

12. Dish liable to be made without proper dressing (10)
{DISHABILLE} – An anagram of (to be made) DISH LIABLE is the state of being carelessly or partially dressed. I am more familiar with the other spelling.

13. Where soldiers serve, bull may be found there (2,3,5)
{IN THE FIELD} – Where you might find an uncastrated male cow. Is it me or is army bull short for bulls***.

14. Female conveyed by old song cycle (5)
{DAISY} – He couldn’t afford a carriage so he married her on a tandem instead.

15. He’s holding a pound to get remedies (5)
{HEALS} – Put A L (livre – pound) inside (holding) HES.

19. A decisive game or performance cancelled (4-3)
{PLAY-OFF} – A game used to determine a championship.for example could also describe what happens if a performance by the RSC isn’t taking place.

20. Oratorio is a new production in network (7)
{MESSIAH} – An oratorio by Handel is constructed from a word for a net with an anagram (new) of ISA inside.

23. Fine at first, then harsh and cold (6)
{FRIGID} – Take the first letter (at first) of fine then add a word for strict or severe to create a word that means extremely cold.

25. Specialist store sounds capital (4)
{DELI} – This store sounds like the capital of India.

26. It’s obtainable from capital chemists (4)
{TALC} – A fine grained mineral can be found hidden between the two words of capital and chemists.

The Quick crossword pun: {warren} + {peace} = {War and Peace}

1. Wozza
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

A curates egg for me. All straightforward stuff and some good clues e.g. 10 but some duff ones too – e.g. 11 and 4d which was ambiguous – could have also been trainer in my opinion. 2*/2*.

thanks to both.

W

• Libellule
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

My first thought re. 4d was traitor, suitably corrected when I got 12a.

• mary
        Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

me too Libelulle, I actually wrote in traitor

• Roger
          Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Mary…is that a Bassett Hound? Do you have any? My favourite dog.

A very easy one this morning and finished in record time of around ** minutes or so…certainly not even enough time to finish my second espresso!

• Prolixic
            Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Roger,

I have edited your solving time. The convention is that we don’t mention them as it can discourage other solvers.

• Jeremy
              Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Didn’t discourage me at all – I just assumed he has a one hour round trip to Starbucks for each espresso…

• mary
            Posted July 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Roger, yes that is a Bassett Hound, I have two dogs, sisters, who are half Bassett, their mother was a Bassett Hound abd their Father A Cocker Spaniel, so we call them Spanetts! :-)

• Wozza
        Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Yes I had that too at one stage.

• Susie
          Posted July 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Me too! I also didn’t know whether it was trainer or teacher – could be either.

• Silveroak
            Posted July 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I hate it when the answer to a clue is either teacher or trainer because you don’t know until you fill in the xword and DT tells you it is wrong. There needs to be a word that crosses either the “c” or the “h”.

2. Collywobbles
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Blimey Libellule that was quick. Also sunny here in the Languedoc and heating up nicely

• Libellule
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Collywobbles,
      Was up bright and early :-)

Posted July 2, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Great puzzle containing what for me is the most brilliant clue of all time in 27a.
    Excellent start to the week.

• Libellule
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Last seen in the Guardian – Cryptic – Nov 20, 2006

• Wozza
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I agree with you that 27 is good but beyond that please don’t be offended if I suggest we must be alter egos as I almost always have the diametrically different view of your enjoyment of a puzzle to mine. Isn’t it good we don’t all think the same.

Best

W

• Brian
        Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Be a shame if we were all the same, variety is the spice etc. btw I take it that you are therefore a fan of my nemesis?

• Wozza
          Posted July 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

4. mary
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle, from a dull wet West Wales, what’s new!?
    Agree with the two star today, although there were a few words I didn’t know and a few clues that took me a while to work out, favourite clues today 28a, I really liked that one and 27a, yes I know it’s a cricket one but I thought it was clever, even when I got the answer I had to look at it again to make sure, a nice crossword from Rufus to get me back into the mode, I find it really hard to concentrate on crosswords when I’m away so I haven’t done any for the last week, good to be back :-D

• mary
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Sorry, thanks for hints LIbelulle, although didn’t need them today, always good to read through them :-)

• Brian
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Welcome back Mary, you were much missed. How was the break

• mary
        Posted July 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian and thanks :-) , I meant to be around today, but one of my sons convinced me to upgrade to an iphone4 and I have spent all day on my computer trying to ‘sync’ it, which it has now eventually done, because our internet here is so slow, I couldn’t do anything else online!!!

• mary
          Posted July 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

The break was great, the weather iffy but we managed two walks each day much to dogs delight

5. andy
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Libelulle in 22a you need to remove the “a” from DREAMSOF to get the anagram

• Libellule
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

andy,
      Fixed, thanks for that.

6. Collywobbles
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Well done Rufus, another good one. Particularly liked 10a and 1a. Thanks also to Libelulles’ hints which were most valuable from time to time

Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

All fairly straightforward I thought and, for me, done quickly until I got to my last two – 1a and 4d. SO stupid – they took longer than the rest of the crossword – I think my brain has either got wet rot or gone rusty from all the rain!
    I have only seen 12d with an “E” as the second letter but I know that they are both in BRB – I’ve looked! I nearly put “freedom” for 22a which would have made things a bit interesting in bottom right corner – yes, I know it’s an anagram but just looked at it very quickly.
    I liked 10, 16 and 24a and 5, 8 and 12d.
    Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Wet and miserable again (or, perhaps, still would be a better way of putting it). :sad: But off to see Vincent and Flavia tangoing tonight. :smile:

• mary
      Posted July 2, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Brilliant Kath, enjoy :-)

Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule for the review. Last one in for me today was 12d.

Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

My dad always used to say 12d as “Dish…” so I had no problems with that one. Thanks to Rufus once again for a nice gentle start to the week. Thanks to Libellule too – I wish it was warm and sunny in Kent – the sun keeps trying but hte black clouds seem to be winning.

10. Senf
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for a nice gentle start to the week * or **/**** for me; I expect that my euphoria will not last very long when I get to see tomorrow’s puzzle. I finished this one last night even before settling down to watch the young DC Endeavour Morse solve his first murder case on PBS. I only had to check 11a (in ask.com) as I had not come across it before. Favourites were 1a and 27a – good cricketing connotations.

11. Captain Duff
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I thought this was quite straightforward today, quite a few easy clues and of course some head scratchers – just finished my coffee before the crossword. No clue particularly stands our for me so a **/*** from me. Many thanks to Rufus & Libellule. Spain looked very impressive last night – I wonder what they would have done to England!

12. Posted July 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

All very good today */*** from me 12d a new word but easy to work out. 1a and 27a best clues. regds to all.

13. BigBoab
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Usual Rufus fare this morning and none the worse for it, thanks to him and to Libellule.

14. Franco
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant start to the week from Rufus! I really liked 27a.

(Pigeons, Beware! Rufus, the hawk, is back at SW19)

15. beaver
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

A cheery little number to start the week **/*** all agreed,knew the french word for 12a, the ‘english’-two spellings -version was in my dictionary so must be in the language-you learn something every day.
    Roger must have gone to a little cafe in Beaumaris which i made the mistake of visiting for his espresso- he would’nt have even started the crossword yet!

16. nubian
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Found it difficult today, musn’t have my thinking hat on.
    Thanks to Libiellule and Rufus

Posted July 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus & to Libellule for the review & hints. Nice start to the week, no real problems with this. Started with 3d, finished with 4d. Favourite was 22a, didn’t notice that it was an anagram straight away. Cold and dull in Central London, please let Summer start before It’s too late :-(

18. Derek
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

The usual nice start to the week from Rufus!

Faves : 1a, 12a, 27a, 29a, 4d, 8d, 14d & 20d.

Shall do tomorrow’s aloft on the flight to The Var.

My son says it is hot in Provence.

19. Peter
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Greetings from the moist Chilterns.
    Couldn’t start the crossword until this afternoon, another wet game of golf first. Crossword much better then the golf, at least I finished the crossword!
    Good Rufus fare for Monday. Not too difficult, except for top left hand corner.
    Thanks to all

20. The Buffer
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed 8d; can’t recall having seen that clue before, although the definition has cropped up from time to time. Thanks Libellule and Rufus for a pleasant start to the week.
    Stopped raining now in W Cumbria and starting to brighten up.

21. Posted July 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Lucky you Libelulle it’s been bucketing down in Chamonix! I found today’s slightlier easier than normal for Rufus but thoroughly enjoyable.

22. Little Dave
    Posted July 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Gentle start to the week and done without too much angst. 25d crops up qute a lot as an answer. I originally put “firm” in for 2d – the Krays called themselves this I believe?

23. Ainsley