Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

An enjoyable but not over taxing Rufus crossword to start the week.

Highlight the space between the curly brackets to reveal the answer.

1. I am apt to be cheeky (11)
{IMPERTINENT} – IM (I am) followed by a word that means relating to the matter at hand or relevant.

9. Holiday with one’s bride, darling Cynthia! (9)
{HONEYMOON} – A trip or holiday taken by a newly married couple is made up from an informal word for sweetheart and then what Artemis was a goddess of.
(Cynthia was another name for the Greek goddess Artemis, who was sometimes called “Cynthia” because, according to legend, the goddess was born on Mount Cynthus).

10. A period return to, say, Wembley (5)
{ARENA} – Wembley is an example. AN and a period of time considered as being distinctive is reversed (return).

11. Don’t forget to come again (6)
{RECALL} – A word that means to remember or to recollect could mean to go and visit someone again.

12. Full complement of vigour (8)
{STRENGTH} – Double definition. A sufficient number of soldiers for example, or the state or quality of being physically capable.

13. Bird gets morsel — a choice one (6)
{TITBIT} – A small bird (great, blue, coal etc) and a small portion of something.

15. Benevolence of sort shown by head (8)
{KINDNESS} – A word that describes a category or type is then followed by a four letter word for a cape or headland.

18. Leaves about ten to play around in musical groups (8)
{QUINTETS} – Put a word that means departs around an anagram (to play around) of TEN to get groups of five singers or players.

19. Tramp meets toff — without love they rarely do this (6)
{HOBNOB} – A word for a tramp (of US origin) has its final O removed (without love), now add a slang term for a person of wealth or social standing to get a word that means to associate familiarly.

21. Marriage makes a nice change after all (8)
{ALLIANCE} – ALL and an anagram (change) of A NICE.

23. Terrible, but not initially loud, stream of abuse (6)
{EARFUL} – To solve this you need a word that indicates anxiety or terror. Then remove the first (initial) letter F (loud) to leave another word that describes a scolding or reprimand.

26. Singer gets awkward note right (5)
{TENOR} – An anagram (awkward) of NOTE followed by R (right).

27. Lots are involved in education (9)
{AUCTIONED} – An anagram (involved) of EDUCATION. The lots in this clue refer to things that you might find at a particular type of sale.

28. Let Jack be seen to supply a military presence (4,3,4)
{SHOW THE FLAG} – Jack in this case is a cloth symbol.

1. To succeed, it must follow her in first (7)
{INHERIT} – Place IT after IN and HER.

2. Police constable held up in a state of terror (5)
{PANIC} – But the abbreviation for a Police Constable around a reversed (held up) IN A to get a sudden overpowering feeling of anxiety.

3. Normality restored in money-making organisation (5,4)
{ROYAL MINT} – An anagram (restored) of NORMALITY is a manufacturer of money based at Llantrisant in Wales.

4. A club with lofty aims (4)
{IRON} – A type of golf club.

5. Nobel Prize winner for Nineties engineering (8)
{EINSTEIN} – An anagram (engineering) of NINETIES.

6. Wagon overturned on eastern trail (5)
{TRACE} – Reverse (overturned) a four letter word for a heavy open wagon usually having two wheels and drawn by an animal and then add an E (eastern) to get a word that can describe a mark or other sign.

7. In study group he doesn’t share the views of others (7)
{CLASHES} – Put HE inside a word for a group of students to get another word that could describe what happens when groups or people come into conflict or opposition with each other.

8. Writer is about to approve a colour (3-5)
{PEA-GREEN} – Put PEN (writer) around a word that means to come to an understanding to get the colour of a boat described by Edward Lear.

14. Flight path for early aircraft (8)
{TRIPLANE} – Split (4,4) A journey. A narrow country road. To get an aircraft with three vertically-stacked wings.

16. Do some fishing, but keep in touch (4,1,4)
{DROP A LINE} – A phrase that describes communication by writing could also describe what you might do if you went fishing.

17. Cat’s coat poorly clipped (8)
{STACCATO} – An anagram (poorly) of CATS COAT.

18. Mercy? Not half! (7)
{QUARTER} – Not half but a fourth.

20. Sort of clip that’s found at the end of a lead (7)
{BULLDOG} – A type of short haired dog is also a clip that has metal jaws.

22. Through which Hamlet drove home his point (5)
{ARRAS} – What Polonius was hiding behind when Hamlet stabbed him

24. The latest thing in ties? (5)
{FINAL} – The ultimate cup tie.

25. National tax (4)
{SCOT} – Somebody from the north of Britain, or a middle English word for tax usually only found in crosswords.

The Quick crossword pun: {locum} + {ocean} = {locomotion}

1. Ben & Sally
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

We’re sure it’s a typing error, but the answer for 28 across doesn’t work! A four-letter word meaning “put on display” fits, though. We really enjoyed this puzzle.

Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Ben & Sally – welcome to the blog.
      Sorry about the delay in getting your comment moderated. Future comments should appear without delay.

2. Digby
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Where has the sun gone?
    At least we have a nice Rufus to brighten up the day.
    18d gave me a bit of a d’oh moment.
    Merci Libellule

3. andy
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Libellule, the answer you’ve quoted for 28a is 3,3,4, the clue is 4,3,4 in the paper version

• Libellule
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Andy,
      My error sorry, fixed now.

4. AnnB
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Good Start to week Pleasant CW.Sun Still blazing down in Northumberland. cannot last!!

5. Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Another scorcher in Lancashire. Too hot to stay inside… too sunny to read the I-pad outside.. You can’t win.

Another solid Monday puzzle with no real stand out clues. I agree with the ** and *** ratings. Last in was 7d for me. Read the clue correctly but took a little while for the study group penny to drop.

Many thanks to all

• Libellule
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Interesting – 7d was the last one in for me too.

Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

And me!

• Patsyann
          Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

me too!

• gnomethang
            Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Ditto!

• Weekend Wanda
              Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

And me! I was fixed on set for the group!

Posted May 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

My first thought for 7d was TEACHER, i.e. someone who faces the pupils and therefore is looking in the opposite direction to them.

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I’m with you – I considered TEACHER at first too.

Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Not my last – just couldn’t do it! Needed the hint! :sad:

• Heno
          Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

And me

• andy
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

is it too late to join the 7d club?

6. spindrift
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Another beautiful day in West Bridgford. Just waiting for the cricket to start again at TB. Weather forecast to start breaking up tomorrow with thunder showers predicted for Wednesday. Guess whose on holiday next week? Staying in Windowsill Bay this year for a change so we’re guaranteed first class accommodation , good food, plenty to drink and good company as long as the MIL doesn’t invite herself to stay.

Thanks to R & to L.

Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

For me a real curates egg. Some nice clues such as 9a, 8d and 28a and some I really didn’t like such as 7d and 19a (horrible American word).
    For me **/*

8. Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Not getting on at all well with this one. Have put it to one side and finished the prize crossword in record time.
    Today I will be mostly watching England beat the West Indies whilst making Samosas. Gotta love bank holidays :-)

• spindrift
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

If you are sending this from next week please can you tell us what the weather is like so we can plan our own bank holidays?

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

If it’s anything like the weather in Chamonix make the most of the beautiful morning and prepare for a big thunder storm in the afternoon!

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Doh! That reminds me the washing is in the garden!

• spindrift
            Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Now I come to check my dates (and having failed to make contact with a client in Germany!) I now realize it is a public holiday in some parts of Europe. Ours in the UK has been moved because Betty Windsor & Phil the Greek are having a bit of a do next weekend.

• Weekend Wanda
              Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

If we had had our usual Spring Bank holiday it would have coincided this year with Europe which still celebrates Whit. I wish we did if only to ensure a better spread of holidays. There’s 7 weeks between Easter and Whit which is just about right as we have May day in between. Here endeth the lesson

9. njm
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Gentle start to the week. I was held up a little in the SE corner and didn’t know enough about Hamlet to be certain I had the right solution for 22d (my last in). 2*/3* based on time taken.

10. Franny
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Greetings from sunny Switzerland — though I’m told it won’t last. No great problems with this one today. I took a long time finding 1a as I was sure there was an anagram somewhere, and didn’t get the top half of 8d. Several clues amused me, especially 9a and 18d. Thanks to Rufus and merci Libellule. :-)

Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

It is lovely and sunny in East Kent too, with lovely blue sky and I have a day off :) Happy Birthday to Mary even if she won’t be around to read this.

Apart from the aforementioned hold up with 7d, this was a lovely straightforward crossword just right for solving in a chair in the garden. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule too.

12. Jill Besterman
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I rattled through this puzzle in grand style until I came to a sudden stop with 8d, which took me ages to work out. Otherwise an enjoyable lunchtime activity!

Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

My minor hold up today was the 18a/18d clues. Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

• Pookie
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I’m with you – just couldnt see either of these without the hints and struggled with 18d even wiht the hint!

14. Posted May 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

2nd time lucky. After the penny dropped on 9a they all dropped in nicely. Hadn’t heard if 17d but it was an obvious anagram. Shame as apart from that it would have been my 3rd completed puzzle without hints this week. Think I have finally cracked it :)

Posted May 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

It appears that I’m the only one to find this quite difficult for a Monday!
    There were lots of clues that I enjoyed but I needed the hints for the first word of 28a, 7 and 22d. I didn’t know that meaning of 18d and don’t quite see why 4d has lofty aims.
    Favourites include 1, 9 and 19a and 17 and 20.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Still very hot and sunny in Oxford – more to do in garden.

• Jezza
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath

The ‘lofty aims’ refers to the height you would get in golf using an iron.

Posted May 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza – golf is one of the many things that I’m a bit hazy about! :smile:

16. beaver
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Yes **/*** seems about right for a non too taxing start to the week, found se corner trickier than the rest with 27a the last in-was’nt remotely looking for an anagram- saw the answer then looked for the wordplay, which is’nt as it should be, nevermind onwards and upwards.

17. Small Dave
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Yes, 7d was a strange one. Very easy once you have it, but was my last one. Think it’s because “doesn’t share the views of others” is a pretty weak definition of the word. As an ex language teacher ashamed to say had no idea of 22d as I’ve never read or seen Hamlet. Favourite was 19a. A very succinct and economical clue.

18. Hrothgar
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Just bought an I-Pad. It seems I would need to pay £9.99 per month subscription to the DT to get the crosswords on it, in spite of being an online member £30 pa, already.
    is this right?
    Lovely puzzle, many thanks Rufus and Libellule.

• Prolixic
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Yes – because the main puzzles site requires Flash which Apple does not support.

There is an app that gives access to the back page and quick crosswords but not the Toughie if you are a puzzles subscriber along with the indy crosswords. See http://www.standalone.com

• Hrothgar
        Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Many thanks, Prolixic, of course, I would need that flash thingy.
        My DOH moment. :)

• Hrothgar
        Posted May 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

This is driving me nuts!
        I downloaded the App. and have anicon of two black and two white squares.
        How do I get to the DT cryptic?
        If I sign in to it it still doesn’t allow me to get the actual crossword.
        If I touch the I-Pad icon, all I get is some starter crossword.
        I find the I Pad very confusing.
        Many thanks.

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I use the Crossword app by Standalone on my iPhone – It costs about £6 but you can enter your telegraph subscription details and then download the crossword from there. It works really well.

You need to go to the settings which is the cog button. From there you can “Select Puzzle Providers” and then look for premium providers.

Good luck!

• Prolixic
          Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I do not have my IPad to hand at the moment but when I do I will send some instructions.

• Prolixic
            Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

1. The app starts if the Select Puzzle box is not open, tap on the puzzle icon on bottom left of the screen.

2. From the select puzzle box, click on the cog icon (bottom right of box).

3. From the box that opens, tap on “Select puzzle providers”

4. In the “Premium Providers” section tap on the “Edit subscription arrow”

5. Enter your Telegraph Puzzles User ID and password and tap on validate info.

6. Keep clicking back to get to the Select Puzzles box. Your selected crosswords should load everyday.! If they don’t, use the left hand icon (circle with arrowhead to load. Puzzles for previous days can be downloaded using the + icon and following the on-screen instructions.

• pommers
              Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Phew! Glad I have a Windows XP netbook :grin:

• Hrothgar
              Posted May 29, 2012 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Very many thanks indeed, Prolixic and ChamRider.
              Got it now!
              I-Pads are a whole new World.

19. gnomethang
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I have just sent Crypticsue a text to get herself out of the garden – The good Lord has just decided to fill all the reservoirs in Kent in 10 minutes flat!.
    Nice puzzle from Rufus today – thanks to him and to Libellule and a Happy Birthday to Mary (wherever she is!)

Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Still nice here but am going now to get the garden chairs into the shed. Thanks for the warning.

• Franco
        Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

But …the weatherman says clear today….

No sign of a storm here on the NE Essex Coast – first paddle of the year – North Sea still a bit cold!

I can never finish a Rufus puzzle. Today I failed on 22d. (Ps. I fared even worse on the Guardian Rufus)

• gnomethang
          Posted May 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Thank goodness it isn’t raining men!

Posted May 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

To answer you both – the rain didn’t arrive here – looking at the weather forecast, I think it went from Gnomey to Essex, but having seen the local news I am glad it didn’t arrive here!!

I found the Guardian Rufus trickier than this one today too.

• andy
      Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

We had a few claps of thunder and a five minute shower, towns around us had an absolute deluge. Oh the Peterborough microclimate. Muggy as heck at the moment

• pommers
        Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Hot and sunny here! E-ducking in progress :grin:

• Franco
          Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

I suppose someone has to ask…..or is it too obvious….what’s E-ducking?

Aah! I now have 15 minutes to think about it! The clock is ticking….

• gnomethang
            Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I figure it’s just like ducking the on-coming blows in real life – but doiing it on-line. As in E-missions, E-Commerce and the like.

• andy
              Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Yup, you’ve got it, I send an e-punch and Pommers e-ducks!

Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Since we seem to be talking about the weather we had lots of rumbling around here this afternoon – I thought “Oh good – really need some rain and it might rescue me from the hour long watering round with watering cans” – then realised that it wasn’t thunder after all – it was the recycling lorries emptying the bins!!
      Still hot and clear in Oxford.

20. Weekend Wanda
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Favourites 1 19 and 27a and 8 and 17d. Sometimes wonder why some puzzles are so much easier to solve than others. Some giveaways in this eg 9a for which the answer is clear even if you have never heard of Cynthia. When I was struggling with 7d I wondered whether the compiler had his name in there. Many thanks – great fun.

21. BigBoab
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for the usual enjoyable and untaxing start to the crossword week and thanks to Libellule for the review.

22. andy
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

18d made me chuckle, many thanks to L and R

23. pommers
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Apart from the Hamlet bit it was a fun puzzle. Needed a bit of research to bottom that one- don’t know Shakespeare that much :grin:

Many thanks to Libellule and Rufus – or the other way round if you prefer!

24. Derek
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Another pleasant start to the week from Rufus.

Faves : 19a, 23a, 27a, 3d, 8d & 20d.

Another magnificent summery day but rain is forecast for Thursday & Friday.

25. Mark
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Am I wrong or was 28a in a Guardian crossword from last year?

• Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mark

Rufus does re-use his clues and if it was him in the Guardian he could probably tell you exactly when it was there!

• andy
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Guardian 25365, 8d. July 4 2012

26. After 10 pm
    Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one – not too taxing but one or two clues had me head-scratching. Like many others, 7d was my last one in. Thank you very much Libellule for the explanation to 9a.

I seem to remember it was an old schoolboy joke that Hamlet stabbed Polonius through the 22d?

Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus & to Libellule for the review and hints. Quite enjoyed this one, did the top half in no time. Then the brain went, & I needed 5 hints to complete. Favourite was 20d. Still scorching in Central London. Fridge engineer due tomorrow, hope he can fix it.