Hints and tips by pommers

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Hola from the Vega Baja.  Well I can’t believe it but this week it’s a year since my “Baptism of Fire” as a blogger – 2 March 2011! Where has the time gone? I’ve really enjoyed doing all the reviews and I thank you all for the nice comments that you’ve made. I hope you’ve found my efforts useful.

Over the year Jay has consistently supplied us with excellent puzzles and this one is no exception. The only problem is that sometimes they’re a bit thin on photo opportunities – not this time though!

The clues I like most are in blue and the answers can be seen by highlighting the space between the curly brackets. Please leave a comment telling us what you thought. You can also add your assessment by selecting from one to five stars at the bottom of the post.

1a           Old-fashioned drunk, say, outside holding forelock (7)
{SQUIFFY} – To get this slightly old-fashioned term for drunk or tipsy you need to take SY (SaY outside) and insert (holding) a word for a forelock, beloved of Teddy Boys. My grandmother used to say she was this after her second glass of sherry!

5a           Makes changes to repairs on article (6)
{AMENDS} – The definition here is makes changes to. You need a word for repairs placed after (on) an indefinite article.

9a           Averse to change between sides in volte-face (8)
{REVERSAL} – An anagram (to change) of AVERSE placed between abbreviations for two sides gives another word for a volte-face.

11a         Officer a lot of wardens ignore (6)
{ENSIGN} –A low ranking officer is hidden in (a lot of) wardens ignore

12a         Arrest made by head of security in front of tent (4)
{STOP} – A word meaning arrest or cease is made up of S (head of Security) followed by a circus tent.

13a         Bad experiences getting right names wrong (10)
{NIGHTMARES} – These bad experiences are an anagram (wrong) of RIGHT NAMES.

14a         Anticipating long life, star played around (12)
{FORESTALLING} – Another anagram (played around) this time of LONG LIFE STAR gives a word for anticipating.

17a         Parts of computers showing maternal love in poets? (12)
{MOTHERBOARDS} – These are the main parts of your computer. Take your maternal parent and follow with some poets with O (love) inserted.

21a         Enter middle age in a state of unconsciousness, facing bankruptcy (5,5)
{GOING UNDER} –The definition is facing bankruptcy. Start with a phrase meaning to enter (2,2), follow with G (middle aGe) and then a word meaning in a state of unconsciousness, from an anaesthetic perhaps, and split that lot (5,5).   This whole clue could also be a description of me!

22a         Speaking lines, actors might need them (4)
{CUES} – ‘Speaking’ in this clue is a homophone indicator.  What actors might need if they’ve forgotten their lines sounds like (speaking) some lines of people waiting to be served.   I’m not usually keen on homophone clues but this one works!

23a         Nearly closed inside — better count takings (4,2)
{CASH UP} – Take a word for closed and remove the last letter (nearly) and place what’s left inside a word meaning to do better than. Split the result (4,2) and you get a phrase for count takings as a shopkeeper does at the end of the day.

24a         Harness expensive-sounding beast (8)
{REINDEER} – This beast is a charade of a piece of harness and a word sounding like another word for expensive

25a         Expand in elaborate detail (6)
{DILATE} – A word for expand, as the pupil of your eye might, is an anagram (elaborate) of DETAIL.

26a         Volunteers in a cottage in France cause trouble (7)
{AGITATE} – To get this word meaning cause trouble or stir up you need A (from the clue) followed by a French holiday cottage with the usual volunteer soldiers inserted.

2d           Search one working for the answer to this! (8)
{QUESTION} – A search followed by I (one) and a word for working, as in not off, gives something that requires an answer.

3d           Single container must cover end of wage freeze (3,2)
{ICE UP} – Take I (single), a container from which you might drink tea and insert E (end of wagE) and split the result (3,2) to get a phrase meaning to freeze.

4d           Angle on profit from such fabric (7)
{FISHNET} – A word for angle, with a rod and line perhaps, followed by profit after expenses gives a type of see-through fabric.   And an opportunity for a gratuitous photo!

6d           Developing remit as experts (7)
{MAESTRI} – These experts are an anagram (developing) of REMIT AS.

7d           Cast gains a lot from dreams of home (9)
{NOSTALGIA} – These dreams of home, or of the past, are an anagram (cast) of GAINS A LOT.   This stuff isn’t what it used to be!

8d           Slumped, unhappy eating scrambled egg (6)
{SAGGED} – Take a word for unhappy (3) and insert (eating) an anagram (scrambled) of EGG to get a word meaning slumped or drooped.

10d         Support a hospital — finally bid cash (5,6)
{LEGAL TENDER} – The definition is cash, as in “banknotes or coins which by law must be accepted  as payment of a debt” (thanks BRB!). Start with one of the usual supports and follow with A (from the clue) and then L (hospitaL finally) and finish with another word for bid or offer.  That’s another one that’s more difficult to explain than it was to solve!

15d         The writer’s back — crazy, pinching hotel cheese! (9)
{EMMENTHAL} – Take how the writer of this crossword might refer to himself (2) and reverse it (back) and follow with a colloquial term for crazy with H(otel) inserted to get this sort of Swiss cheese with large holes.

16d         Supporter present for victory in Europe in period before Christmas (8)
{ADHERENT} – A Jay trademark clue! To get this supporter you need to take the period leading up to Christmas and swap the VE for a word meaning present, in the sense of in this place (present for Victory in Europe).

18d         Announce correct time, welcoming parliamentarian (7)
{TRUMPET} – A word meaning to announce loudly is made up of a word for correct followed by T(ime) with the usual parliamentarian inserted (welcoming).

19d         Mad dog could be! (7)
{BARKING} – Double definition. A slang term for mad is also something that a dog might be doing, especially if it’s mad!  I seem to remember a conversation on the blog recently about this term – a small town in Essex!

20d         Chicken or fish (flipping uncooked inside!) (6)
{COWARD} – This is a person who is chicken.  Take a popular chip-shop fish and insert (inside) a word meaning uncooked but backwards (flipping).

22d         Panic a detective arresting soldier in training (5)
{CADET} – This soldier in training is hidden in (arresting) panic a detective.

As usual there’s lots of good stuff in this but my favourites are 2d and 19d – how about you?

The Quick crossword pun: {hoarse} + {tray} + {leer} = {Australia}

1. Hrothgar
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Thanks Jay and Pommers.
    Great graphics, especially 4D.
    Yet another quick 600 points for the online submission.
    The cheese is normally spelt without the H.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Hi Hrothgar

That’s what I thought about the cheese but both spellings are in the BRB.

2. Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

As it’s my first birthday as a blogger I couldn’t resist this one:-

Birthday cake candle

• Brian
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Happy blog birthday, thx for all your help and btw loved the gratuitous pic! Sorry Ladies!

• Roland
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Happy Blogging Birthday Pommers :) I just thought I’d mention that since you’ve started using smileys from this sherv.net site, I get an “unauthorized URL detected” warning keep coming up on my screen from my internet security provider, and it won’t allow your smileys to be viewed. Do we know that sherv.net is a safe site?

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

No reason to suspect otherwise and the firewall and protection on this netbook was installed by pommette, and she’s absolutely paranoid about security – worked on the systems side of Barclays Bank’s on-line banking system!

• Roland
          Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

OK thanks – good enough for me!

• Heno
          Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Well done Pommers some great reviews and hints, I’m amazed that a year has passed already, keep up the good work !

• Franny
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I add my bloggersday good wishes, always enjoy your contributions, and love the emoticons! And the pictures.

3. Prolixic
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Happy Blogtastic Birthday!

This was a delightful Jay crossword. In typical Jay fashion, the across clues yielded little fruit but the downs compensated and my initial impression that this would be a stinker was proved false by coming in nicely as a two stopper.

Thanks to Jay for the treat and to Pommers for the review.

Anyone tempted to look at Osmosis in the Toughie will find it fiendish but fun.

As it is 29 Feb, you may enjoy an excellent themed crossword by Anarche in the Independent.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Agree about the Toughie – splendid stuff but aren’t its17d and 16d in this one a bit of a coincidence?

Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Yes a 2 star EXCEPT for 16 d which was so tough. Thx to Pommers for the explanation and answer which I would not have seen in a month of Sundays! Apart from that a very pleasent experience with some clever clues – 17a and 15d.

5. SpikeyMikey
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I found this very tricky today! Really made my brain hurt :-) very enjoyable though.

6. Roland
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle, too quickly solved though. All 3 puzzles so far this week have been 2* or less IMO. Thanks to Jay and to Pommers.

7. Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Straightforward puzzle today. The spelling of 15d was a new one on me but no real problems. Favourites were 17a & 16d. Thanks to Jay & Pommers, Happy anniversary, may we see many more.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and Pommers for the review & hints. Found this straightforward with some really good clues. Favourites were 1a & 16d. Still cloudy in central London, but had some Sun yesterday afternoon.

9. Colmce
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay.
    Pommers thanks for the hints and tips, I completed this without help, but appreciate the explanations of 2d,15d,16d which I didn’t get directly from clues.

Thrown a bit by shpelling of 15d.

Auxiliary observation, I notice nobody publishes time for solving. It would be handy for me to have some sort of benchmark that I can measure my progress against.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Posting solving times is a no-no on this site as many people find them discouraging. If you want I can email you my times that give the various star ratings.

• Colmce
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Yes please, that would be helpful.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

You have mail!

• Colmce
            Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Have read mail, many thanks.

• Pookie
              Posted March 1, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Times would be useful for me too

• Mark
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Well this might encourage you took as it took me over two hours, but I still loved every min
      Yes that 120 of them!

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mark

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Mark and welcome from me too.

A couple of hours might well have been my time 3 or 4 years ago. It’s amazing what practice, this blog and the discipline of doing the reviews does for your solving skill. I was a lot quicker today!

10. Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Happy Blogging Birthday Pommers!!! Great puzzle – started off thinking i couldn’t do it at all and then slowly slowly it all came together – to me that’s the sign of a good one! thanks to all.

11. Jackie
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one today, although I got stuck on the NW corner for a while. Favourite clues 1a and 16d. I am now back in the Middle East,and for some reason (??!) your graphics for 4d and comment 2 have been blocked. I can only imagine what they must be! Thanks for Jay and Pommers for review and hints.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Not surprised 4d was blocked as it’s a lady in a fishnet bodystocking! Why comment 2 was blocked I’ve no idea – it’s simply an smiley blowing out a candle on a birthday cake!

• Roland
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Might be the same problem I referred to above Pommers! I can’t view them either.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Shame you can’t see 4d Roland – it’s very tasteful :lol:

• Roland
            Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Sorry Pommers, I can see the 4d image and agree – very tastefu!. What I can’t see is the emoticon in comment 2, as per my comment about internet security above.

• Nora
              Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

It seems only the men find the illustration of 4d tasteful. Not I. It’s a shame to spoil an excellent crossword with something so tacky.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

While expecting the obvious picture opportunity would not have been missed, I do think a fishnet clad leg would have sufficed in this instance.

• Jackie
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I suspected as much for 4d. Comment 2 – well, perhaps it will appear later – these things sometimes do.

12. Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle today. All pretty straight forward. Was looking forward to checking I had 4d correct as soon as I finished. Predictable but not disappointing. Thanks for a good puzzle, review and hints.

13. Captain Lethargy
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Liked this one today. Nice and straightforward with just enough to make you think. Loved the photo clues. Particularly liked 21a and 16d. Thanks to Jay and to Pommers.

14. Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one though I worried about 10d – kept trying to fit in an H somewhere!!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

… so did I!

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

That was my first thought too :oops:

15. Franny
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

A lovely puzzle this morning, though I needed a bit of help to finish. I made life difficult for myself by putting in ‘overseat’ for 9a (an anagram of ‘averse to’. It seemed to fit the clue vaguely) but managed to correct myself eventually. I’d never heard of 17a, but then I’m not technologically inclined, and I was puzzled by 16d — not sure I like four letters replacing two. My favourites were 1 and 22a and 2 and 19d. Many thanks to Jay and to Pommers for the entertaining explanations. :-)

16. christine taby
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

where is the quick crossword pun today

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Hi Christine and welcome to the blog. We hope to hear from you again now you’ve broken the ice :grin:

Quickie pun now there – it’s added by BD rather than me.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Christine changed her alias from tabbycat!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Happy Blogbirthday Pommers. This was a 2* difficulty as far as GETTING the answers but so many of them took me a long time to unravel the WHY bit that I think I would give it 3* – maybe I’m just a bit on the slow side today! I really enjoyed it. I’ve never heard of 17a but the clue was very clear. Too many good ones to write them all down so just a couple – 19d and 1a. Reminds me of Dorothy Parker (I think)

“I love a Martini,
    One at the most,
    Two I’m under the table,
    And three I’m under the host!”

Do hope that I’ve got that right(ish)!

With thanks to Jay and Pommers – I love all the new “faces”!

• Lord Luvvaduck
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

The version I know is:
      I wish I could drink like a lady,
      I can take one, or two at the most,
      three and I’m under the table,
      and four I’m under the host.
      Thanks to Jay and congratulations to Pommers

• Silveroak
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I love this site it is so-o-o educational:)

18. Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

On a completely unrelated matter, does anyone know a way of printing the crossword from the Independant web site? I seem to remember someone on 225 once said it was possible.

• Prolixic
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

You have mail.

19. Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Congrats Pommers – here’s to the next 52 weeks.

Fun but not overly taxing puzzle today, top left held me up the longest (but not too long) until the hairstyle popped into my head (been a while since I had enough hair to worry about styling it).
    Contrary to others, I’ve always spelled 15D with an H, but not with a double M, Oh well, we all live and learn.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

BTW, great picture for 4D, love the flowers, bet they cost a fortune.

20. Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

1.5* difficulty, 3* fun, thank you Jay. Thank you to Pommers too for his anniversary blog.

Anyone looking at the fun fiendish Toughie today should start on the right hand side. I had all of that in and only one on the left for quite a while.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink
    • Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

The same message is also displayed on our Home Page, with the opportunity to comment.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t when I posted my comment :)

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

That’s because Rufus didn’t send it to me until after 1:00pm!

22. Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Off out soon and won’t be back home until tomorrow afternoon. Don’t know if I’ll be able to get on-line later but if not see y’all Friday. I’m sure others will be around if anyone needs a bit more help.

Thanks for the nice ‘birthday’ comments and here’s to the next year! :grin:

• mary
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Sorry I missed you today pommers, happy blogging birthday, can’t believe it’s a year, well done :-D

23. Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Well done Pommers, happy birthday and thanks for all the hints. Do you have the phone number of 4d

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

No, her number is ex-directory, sorry.

24. BigBoab
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

many thanks to Jay for a very enjoyable crossword and to Pommers for an excellent review. Congratulations Pommers on your 1st birthday and for your choice of picture clues.

25. Dickiedot
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Congrats on your 1st Birthday Pommers, here’s to lots more.

26. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Not too taxing again today. Some nice clues e.g 15d, 20d, but too many anagrams IMHO */***

27. mary
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one today, I’m with Franny on 16d seems unfair to remove two letters and replace with 4, lots of favourites today :-)

• Hrothgar
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

It’s your ‘unfair’ which makes it so clever.
      Can’t see how to put a smiley up.

• mary
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Hrothgar look at top of page under FAQ scroll down list until you come to emoticons :-) seemples

Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Sorry Mary – you beat me to it!! :smile:

• mary
            Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

You think we’d have something better to do wouldn’t you :roll: off to cinema soon to see The New Marigold Hotel, it’s supposed to be really good

Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

How to do the “faces” is all in the FAQ section at the top. The smiley one :smile: is colon smile colon (no spaces).

• Hrothgar
          Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary and Kath :-)

28. Ian
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this – prob 4* as several clues made me laugh. Faves 22a, 15, 19, 20d. Thanks to all

29. Ian
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

On another note, can someone confirm the answer to 21a in the quickie? I’m thinking ‘sexy’, as this makes a pangram for me. Yet ‘ sexy’ doesn’t quite fit the clue to my mind … ?

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

You are right – it’s all in how you read the clue. It’s not an exciting desire but the quality of exciting desire.

• Ian
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, not convinced, but thanks Dave. Great pun though!

• Franco
          Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Today’s Quick Crossword.

If the pun contains more than 2 words, the paper version usually puts all the clues involved in italics. No italics today – so I went for “Coarse” + “Tray” = “Corsetry. But I’m most probably wrong!

Corsets! How do you add a picture to a comment? :wink:

• Ian
            Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I thought the same at first. Not sure what caused me to spot hoarse + tray + leer, and then not sure what prompted the Australia moment! Saying it out loud often helps, but only when you can be sure you’re alone!

30. beaver
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Going for**/ ****,easy to get the solutions,harder to work out why-very enjoyable today ,was on his wave lenght- must be the hangover.
    PS-loved the fishnets and the stocking filler.

31. St. George
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

All the very best Pommers, thanks for your continued assistance, heaven knows I need it. Managed today though, unassisted hurrah!

• pommette
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Congrats St. George. I have only ever done one Jay one my own and I had a huge celebration

32. wbgeddes
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

This was a 2 and a half pints of Black Sheep puzzle today for me. Last one is was 22A.

Lots of cute clues and a nice variety of clue types too. I’m not sure I’d agree 4D was actually a fabric per se (Flannel was my first guess which errooneously gave me 1A and then 2D) but I’m willing to forget this given the proper and fair pictorial addition to the clue. Could I really have looked forward to a pictorial clue for Flannel?

33. Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Well, I managed to get on-line but I’m sat on the path outside a friends apartment (he’s in the UK but fortunately has left his router turned on :smile: ) so I’m not staying long!

4d seems to have got one or two of you a bit ‘hot under the collar’! :grin: Thought it might so perhaps I ought to change it to the net full of fish – or perhaps not!

I’ll try to get back later if it doesn’t get to cold here.

34. Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Well done and thanks Pommers for both reaching the year and for your excellent blogs (including this one). Great stuff again from Jay – thanks to you to.

35. Annidrum
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I always enjoy Jay’s puzzles and this was no exception although I got really vexed with 16d as I could see what the answer was from the checking letters but couldn’t see how I was going to get VE in!! Thanks for the explanation Pommers and happy blogbirthday! :smile:

36. Derek
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

1. Congrats to Pommers!
    2. Another enjoyable puzzle – not very taxing.

Faves : 12a, 17a, 21a, 26a, 4d, 15d, 16d & 20d.

3. re 4d – it is not in CCD under “fabric” and in BRB it is given as a type of weaving rather than a fabric.

Pommers – your photo for 4d suggests that she is ready for another sort of weaving!

37. Franco
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Well done, pommers! You always provide a very amusing and a very informative blog!

Also, many thanks to Jay!

• Franco
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

38. Steve_the_beard
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday!
    Another excellent job by Jay too.

Favourites: 16D, and the picture for 4D ;-)

39. A young David Gower
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I had maîtres down for 6d. Isn’t it used to denote a senior – and, by implication, expert – employee?

Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

…. the only minor problem is that it completely screws up the rest of that corner, but I can see what you mean!! :smile:

40. Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

May I add my belated good wishes Pommers (not forgetting that Pomette has helped out a little too!!). Jay always seems to provide you with plenty of provocative pictorial possibilities, and he hasn’t let you down this time!!

• pommette
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Not helped him for a while Digby as he has now worked out how to do it on his own :smile:

41. Little Dave
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Highly enjoyable and a lovely image for 4d.

42. Grumpy Andrew
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle, very nicely pitched. 1a and 22a had me foxed but that’s no complaint. Thanks to the setter and as ever this great site.

43. Posted February 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Well done Pommers – I would like to think that Jay might have given you that slam dunk for 4d knowing it was your anniversary. Anyway, it was a more than balanced review with three fine male specimens for the ladies, if you count the reindeer. All very entertaining with thanks to P & J.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

What is a “slam dunk”? Do hope that it’s not one of those things that I wish I’d never asked!!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Forget that – just looked it up! :smile: It’s a completely new expression to me!

• Silveroak
        Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Frequently used expression in the US. Americans love to use any expressions that come from their favorite sports, basketball, football and baseball. Thanks for the hints Pommers and Happy Anniversary. I am full of admiration for all the bloggers who are working against a deadline to solve some difficult puzzles sometimes. I found the puzzle today challenging, in a good way, but needed your explanations for 1a, 12a and 16d even though I got the answers!

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I also thought he might have given me the ‘slam dunk’ but also thought he might be taking the mickey out of his blogger with 21a :lol:

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

But 21a might have been an opportunity to show a picture of the Titanic for your nautical side.

Kath – yes sorry, a slam dunk is an easy but usually spectacular shot particularly in basketball. I lived in Chicago for quite a while and saw a guy called Michael Jordan make many of them. Maybe it will appear in a DT crossword some time and then we can refer back to this blog……

44. Addicted
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed to-day’s though didn’t have a lot of time at it, due to being out all day and just settling down to get stuck in when a visitor arrived – however, managed to solve apart from 22a & d, for which I needed hints – thanks Pommers! And many happy returns, I really enjoy your hints, explanations and illustrations! Can I just say that I think “solving times” are, actually, a pain in the ****!!! The joy of the Xword, to me, is being able to have a quick look over breakfast, another mullover at lunch time and then looking forward to maybe finishing it in the evening. Doesn’t matter how long it takes providing you enjoy it. My Dad used to start it with his morning coffee and then deliberately put it down so he had something to look forward to over his afternoon tea. Come on people – stop watching the clock – just enjoy it!! Thanks to Jay and Pommers (again).

• Heno
      Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Well said Addicted, forget the clock, people.

• Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

The pommers only ever times himself on the days he has to blog. The rest of the time we sit and do the back page puzzle together over lunch. Me trying to solve, him blogging for me when I get stuck! Very instructive.

Some days we have to leave it for a while and come back later after a big of cogitation and perservation!

I agree – forget how long it takes. Just enjoy!

45. pommette
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Oh I so remember 12 months ago !!! There was the pommers having a minor (or was it major?) panic about
    1) whether he could even solve the crossword
    2) whether he could then write a decent blog.

He did it, worried about whether it was ok and then it got published – so no going back!

I have actually enjoyed the last 12 months too as it has taught me so much about how to solve cryptic clues. And I’ve met lots of lovely people here on BDs blog!

Happy blogtastic birthday pommers!

• Posted March 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Points 1 and 2 seem rather familiar!
      Thanks again to you both and have a fun holiday!

• Posted March 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Thankyou gnomey

Point 1 isn’t so much of a worry nowadays (famous last words!) but point 2 always is! Don’t know why I continue to do it :grin: Actually I do know, it’s lot of fun because it gives you two different views of the puzzle – one as an normal solver (to get the answers) but then another when you have to write the blog and prove you really understand the setter’s intentions – and hopefully it helps a load of people who are still learning the art of cryptics..

46. Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

You may have noticed from the rash of posts from pommette that we’ve now got the dongle working! Orange must have put a new mast up somewhere around here :grin:

Thanks again to everyone – I’m off duty next week as I’m off to the Costa del Sol for a week’s holiday.

PS – solving times – who cares? Certainly not me!

47. Franco
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

St David’s Day Tomorrow – Dydd Gŵyl Dewi.

48. Audrey
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Hi first time on here, learned so much from the hints and getting better. Thanks Dave

Posted March 1, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Hi Audrey – welcome to the blog.

49. TimCypher
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Enjoyable stuff from Jay here!
    16d took a while for me to twig what was going on…the answer was clear, but I didn’t know why. Big d’oh where the penny finally dropped, and that’s exactly how it should be.
    So that was my fave clue, but I also liked 12a, 17a, 22a (another big d’oh as I realised the clue type) and 19d.
    Thumbs up from me! :)