Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment *

If you want your weekly fix of Ray T then don’t look here, go and do the Toughie instead!  The musical and sporting references suggest the possible setter, but for me this gimmick has worn very thin and I didn’t enjoy this puzzle at all.

1a    Sailors following course they may traverse quickly (5,5)
{EPSOM SALTS} – put some sailors after a Surrey racecourse to get medicine for the constipated

6a    Square retro hairstyle cut short (4)
{SNUB} – S(quare) is followed by the reversal (retro) of a hairstyle to give a verb meaning to cut short

10a    One getting into difficulties later! (5)
{ADIOS} – put I (one) inside some difficulties to get an interjection meaning later or cheerio

11a    Engineer protecting missing good vintage cycle part (6-3)
{COTTER-PIN} – an anagram (engineer) of PROTECTIN(G) without (missing) G(ood) gives a piece of metal used to fasten two parts of a mechanism together

12a    Given time and light initially stormy Med becomes green (7)
{EMERALD} – put a period of time and the initial letter of Light inside an anagram (stormy) of MED to get a green gemstone

13a    Short skirts are archaic, that’s it! (7)
{MARTINI} – put a word meaning short when applied to a skirt around (skirts) the ald (archaic) word for are to get It(alian) vermouth – I didn’t like this on two counts: a) mini only means short when used in context b) It needs to be capitalised if it is to represent Italian vermouth

14a    Knockabout Lee Evans recast with dismissal of a very minor character who catches the eye (5-7)
{SCENE-STEALER} – an anagram (Knockabout) of LEE E(VA)NS RECAST without (dismissal of) A and V(ery) gives a minor character who catches the eye – the A and V are not dropped in the specified order

18a    Useless having English fellows replaced by Swiss hotshot academic (12)
{INTELLECTUAL} – start with a word meaning useless and then replace E(nglish), F and F (fellows) with the surname of a famous Swiss crossbow expert to get an academic

21a    All over the place it’s trendy to eat ragout regularly (7)
{CHAOTIC} – a word meaning all over the place is created when an adjective meaning trendy is placed around (to eat) the even (regularly) letters of rAgOuT

23a    Rate rib roast a snack? (7)
{RAREBIT} – an anagram (roast) of RATE RIB gives a Welsh snack

24a    Rome loudly dismissed as a hotchpotch? (9)
{POTPOURRI} – a hostile term for the Church of Rome sounds a bit like (loudly dismissed) a hotchpotch – unless I’ve missed something (and if I have I’m sure you will let me know) this kind of homophone is better suited to the Quick crossword pun

25a    Battle-axe (5)
{SCRAP} – a double definition – verbs meaning to battle or fight and to axe or cancel

26a    Misinterpret natural elements in volcano (4)
{ETNA} – hidden inside (elements in) the first two words is the volcano to which setters have to resort when they have boxed themselves into a corner!

27a    Control attempt by sci-fi writer to incorporate a new chapter (10)
{GOVERNANCE} – to get this control start with a two-letter word for an attempt and then add a French writer of science fiction into which A, N(ew) and C(hapter) are inserted

1d           Finish with title taken by the Spanish (6)
{ENAMEL} – a vitrified coating fired onto a metal or other surface is created by inserting a title inside the Spanish definite article

2d           Nameless transgressor covering up hard evidence of fight (6)
{SHINER} – drop an N (nameless) from a transgressor and then insert (covering up) H(ard) to get the evidence of a fight

3d           Turn of card forecast slip-up (14)
{MISCALCULATION} – this looks like an anagram clue, but actually it’s a reversal of the kind of card found in a mobile phone followed by a forecast to get a slip-up

4d           A County Council garden getting church approval (9)
{ACCEDENCE} – a charade of A from the clue, the abbreviation of County Council, Adam and Eve’s garden and the Church of England gives this approval

5d           Symbol some came to tolerate in hindsight (5)
{TOTEM} – this symbol is hidden (some) and reversed (in hindsight) inside the clue

7d           Wedding ceremony — groom plans it around mid-January (8)
{NUPTIALS} – this wedding ceremony is derived from an anagram (groom) of PLANS IT around the middle letter of JanUary

8d           Dreadful bind, getting a taste for illegal activity (8)
{BANDITRY} – start with an anagram (dreadful) of BIND around (getting) A and then add a taste or test to get this illegal activity

9d           Beatle hero Ringo’s ‘gear’ — swinging! (6,8)
{GEORGE HARRISON} – this member of the Beatles is an anagram (swinging) of HERO RINGO’S GEAR

15d         Gloomy Act 1 set in stable (9)
{SATURNINE} – this adjective meaning gloomy is created by putting an act on stage and I inside an adjective meaning stable or sound in mind

16d         ‘East London Eye’ is epic Emin creation (5,3)
{MINCE PIE} – when will setters learn that Cockney (East London) slang drops the rhyming word? Stairs are apples not apples and pears, face is boat not boat race … – this eye is an anagram (creation) of EPIC EMIN

17d         Selection from orchestra — it engenders distress (8)
{STRAITEN} – hidden inside (selection from) the clue is a verb meaning to distress

19d         Borneo’s overthrown king (6)
{OBERON} – an anagram (overthrown) of BORNEO gives the King of the Fairies in A Midsummer Night’s Dream

20d         Plain sailing primarily with Bolt closing on back-to-back records (6)
{STEPPE} – this dry, grassy, generally treeless, and uncultivated plain is contrived from the initial letter of Sailing, the final letter of bolT and two Extended Play records, one of them being reversed (back-to-back)

22d         Something unusual about United with Ferdinand at back (5)
{CURIO} – this unusual item is a charade of the single-letter Latin term for about, U(nited) and the first name of a Manchester United defender who has seen better days

Here’s looking forward to Giovanni tomorrow!

The Quick crossword pun: {yell} + {owe} + {brie} + {crowed} = {Yellow Brick Road}

1. Wayne
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable for me today, taxed the few brain cells I have left. Thought the ‘pun’ in the Quickie was excellent also. Thanx to Compiler and BD for the review.

2. Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

A few stretched me a bit but got there eventually. An enjoyable interlude. Thanks to BD for the review.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

This took me a while to get going, and then a steady plod through.
    My last in was 24a, where I get the definition, but the homophone……….?!
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Very hard today but have managed all but one (1d). Lots of nice anagrams to get you started but then some rather complex clues. My personals favs were 16d and 14a but then I am a fan of phrases. Still not quite there with 24a what has it to do with Rome? Also does 2d mean to remove a n from sinner? Overall enjoyable but thx to BD for the hints and explanations.

• Jezza
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Re 2d – Yes; Nameless requires you to take away one of the N’s from sinner.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

My take on 24a is that it’s a tooth-sucking homophone of Popery.

• eXternal
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

me too, but it’s such a streeeeettttch

• Weekend wanda
          Posted February 10, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Not with the proper pronunciation

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Chambers doesn’t give the pronunciation of popery, but from the ODE

popery /ˈpəʊp(ə)ri/

potpourri /pəʊˈpʊəri, -ˈri:, pɒtˈpʊəri/

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

That’s why Ian Paisley doesn’t like dried herbs. :-) Today’s took me longer than normal, an OK sort of puzzle but only just.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

I may be being dim but I don’t understand how Ian Paisley or dried herbs got in there ..

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Dried herbs/flowers = potpourri = popery = what Ian Paisley don’t like :smile:

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Oh – thanks – me being dim YET again!! Oh dear – there seem to have been lots of “oh dears” today!! :sad: AND it’s snowing like hell in Oxford.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

If you did most of the Beam today you can’t be that dim! Enjoyable but not easy IMHO!

Not a cloud in the sky here but very cold by Spanish standards (only 3C according to Alicante airport weather station) and houses here don’t have carpets and central heating so it feels a lot colder!

From mid-Jan to early March pommette and I retreat to the kitchen which is the easiest room to keep warm, which is where we are now.

Never mind – soon be Spring :smile:

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Hi Brian,
      Have you tried the toughie?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

This is another “joke” that is well past it’s sell-by date. Next time I will delete your comment.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I believe that a sense of humour is quite important, even when doing crosswords.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Saying the same thing every time is not funny, it’s boring.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I don’t agree with your analysis of ‘boring’ V ‘humour’

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Boring to the point of tedious. Give your gob a rest son or find some new material which almost approaches humorous.

*** **** ***

• mary
                    Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I really do think collywobbles was only meaning to be funny, no harm intended, why is everyone taking it so seriously, Brian’s not

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Either BD redacted your comment or you’ve not got the bottle to say what you mean!

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

The former – now leave it there.

• Brian
              Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Thx, I’ve decided to just ignore him.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Just keep going, Brian. I don’t think that collywobbles meant any harm. What I CAN’T understand is how, if you’ve managed the rest of this quite difficult crossword, you COULDN’T do 1d – I thought it was one of the easiest clues. Isn’t it strange what different people find impossible? :smile:

• Wayne
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Re: 1d. Put a title inside spanish for ‘the’ which gives you a type of finish. Hope that’s ok BD.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

That’s fine – especially as this is not a prize puzzle!

5. eXternal
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Haven’t enjoyed a puzzle so much in ages. Yes, there are some dodgy bits and I agree with Dave that 13a is one of them, but I really enjoyed working out the challenging clues. Definitely not one for beginners, I would say. My fave was the far clue down in the SW corner, can’t remember the number.

6. Jackie
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I didn’t enjoy this at all, I couldn’t really get going, and although I got the answers, some of them were more guess work than anything else, and a couple totally lacked the ‘why factor’. The Swiss in 18a for example?

• Jackie
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Sorry, I’ve just re-read the hints, get it now!

Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’m REALLY struggling with this one – just can’t get going at all. :sad: Haven’t looked at hints yet – thought I’d see what the general opinion was. Back later.

8. Mike in Amble
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Just did not enjoy this puzzle. Struggled with the quickie as well. Not my day. :(

9. Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Can’t say I really enjoyed today’s offering – some very iffy answers IMHO. Not being an engineer, I had no idea what 11A could be (although it was fairly obvious from the anagram), the few times I’ve had to deal with them, they’ve always been referred to as a split pin. Although the answer to 3D is obvious from the checking letters, I can see no connection to the clue apart from the ‘slip up’ part. I thought 24A was extremely iffy, if it is a homophone, then it is a very poor one indeed. In 1A the word ‘traverse’ has no relevance to the clue whatsoever.

Having said all that, I quite enjoyed 9D.

Bright and sunny here but COLD! On the plus side, I’ve been sent a coupon for a free carrot cake from my local Co-op (or I could have a chocolate cake, mmmm decisions, decisions).

• Wayne
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Turn of card relates to the card in your mobile phone (reversed), then word for forecast.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I didn’t like this clue because the answer is just a bad forecast. Good charades use totally different meanings from that in the answer.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

1a Traverse quickly = go through you like a dose of …

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

but traverse means ‘go across’

Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

The BRB says “to cross; to pass through, across or over; …”.

• Wayne
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Chambers gives traverse as ‘go across’ or ‘go through’ something quickly.

• Wayne
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Oops, not ‘quickly’, quickly probably relates to the actions you have to take :-)

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

phew, don’t think I’d fancy crossing the North Face of the Eiger quickly. But then I don’t really fancy crossing the North Face of the Eiger at all.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Go for both types of cake, Skempie – an article in today’s paper says that apparently research has just decided that if we eat cake with a full breakfast, we are more likely to lose weight and stay trim.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Sounds bizarre – I’ll tell pommette!

The article wasn’t written by a certain Mr Kipling by any chance? :lol:

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

In the end, I plumped for the chocolate cake as the carrot cake had walnuts in and Mrs Skempie’s allergic to them – thoughtful or what?

• Annidrum
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that snippet of information CS. Just what I’ve been waiting to hear all my life and most importantly now that Mr. A has started baking the most yummy cakes and being the good wife that I am I have to help him eat them otherwise he would be left to eat the whole cake by himself and that would be most unhealthy for him. :smile:

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

NO! Sorry, didn’t mean to shout… but to use the term “cotter pin” to refer to a “split pin” is American, not English.

As others have said, they’re not used on modern bicycles, but I remember as a 12-year-old having to ask my Dad to get his mate to use a lathe on my new cotter pins, as they were too thick a wedge for the hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotter has some lovely photos!

10. eXternal
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Just as an aside to 13a, Dave. Do you or anyone else know the reason why false capitalisation is generally OK but not false lower case?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Presumably because almost any word can be capitalised, but some proper nouns can’t be given in lower case. I’m not a fan of fake capitalisation, but it is endemic.

• eXternal
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I was rather hoping second letter false capitalisation might catch on

Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

It is over four hours since I solved this one and to be honest I can’t remember much about it except that my favourite Beatle was included and that it took me a 3.5* back page solving time. Thanks to the setter and BD too.

Those of you missing Mr T will be delighted to find him in the middle of the paper. A very enjoyable Toughie. If you need further entertainment after that, I highly recommend the cheeky Paul in the Guardian.

• Jezza
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I’ll second your endorsement for the Toughie; just finished it – excellent!

12. beaver
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks dave for the’ popery’ explanation to 24a, wanted to put staple for 20d -until i saw the light,the rest was plain sailing-now for the toughie-bet Harry uses his accountant.

13. Wozza
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Too hard for me today, needed clues with 4 of them. But overall I quite enjoyed it. 16d was my favourite and brought a smile to my face. Good luck to all still working on it.

14. Captain Lethargy
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed todays crossword. Yes there were some suspect clues/ definitions but overall it was fine. The crossword is meant to stretch us, and it would be boring if we sailed through every day. Thanks to BD for hints and the setter.

• mary
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Every other day would do me nicely Captain :-)

Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

:sad:
    Definitely not my day! What a battle! I finally ended up with two clues that I just couldn’t do – 10a, all I could think of that would fit was “alias” – and 11a, missed the anagram indicator completely and I’ve never heard of it anyway. I also had loads of answers that I didn’t understand – 13 and 24a and 3d. Oh dear!!! Having said all that I wouldn’t know where to begin with setting a crossword and there were quite a few clues that I liked – 6 and 18a and 2, 4, 7 and 22d. With thanks to the setter and to BD for the much needed hints and explanations.
    Do I dare to have a look at the toughie or is that really pushing my luck a bit too far?

• Jezza
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath – definitely look at the Toughie. It’s very good!

• Mike in Amble
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

It’s much more satisfying than the cryptic and definitely satisfying. Good luck :)

• Mike in Amble
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

sorry…. soluble ….I meant to say

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Soluble? It dissolves in water?

Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Try the downs in the Toughie first, Kath, and see how you get on. It is a toughie but my handwriting is quite neat which I always take as an indication of how much of a struggle I had :)

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Yes Kath, give it a go! I think it’s the first Beam Toughie I’ve ever completed without any aids at all, not even a dictionary! :grin:

Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza, CS and pommers – I need all the encouragement I can get, especially today!! About to go for arctic afternoon dog walk and then will have a look at the toughie when the hands have thawed enough to be able to type!

16. Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Thought this puzzle went from the sublime to the ridiculous with just about everything in-between, 20d – sublime, 24a – ridiculous!

Pommette and I did our usual quick run through the across clues and got just ONE :sad: but we got 9 of the downs and then it all just sort of fell into place!

I quite liked the accuracy of the definition in 11a as “vintage cycle part”. I know cotter pins as the pin that was used to hold the pedal on a bike but modern bike’s have a different fixing mechanism so the cotter pin is an old/vintage part!

Pommette legged us up for a while on 24a by insisting that I had the answer wrong because it’s hyphenated :oops:.

Favourites 11a, 18a and 20d.

Thanks to the mysteron and Big Dave.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It is indeed hyphenated in some dictionaries but not in the BRB (which you might get for next Christmas perhaps!).

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I live in hope but I have a birthday before then you never know! It’s not hyphenated in the Collins on-line dictionary either.

• Jezza
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I see that amazon deliver to Spain (for less than a fiver – I think).

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza. I hadn’t spotted that so I’ll have a look. It’s certainly too big and heavy to bring back when you’re travelling hand luggage and have only 10kg weight allowance.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Not only that – the price on Amazon is usually much cheaper than that in bookshops.

• Weekend wanda
                Posted February 10, 2012 at 7:18 am | Permalink

We bought 3 (slightly old editions) for £2 each from a remaindershop

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

The Chambers Dictionary, 12th Edition (Thumb Indexed) is £31.13 from Play.com & they will deliver to Spain

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Had a look and it’s £21.20 but if I add the crossword dictionary to make the order value over £25 it looks like free delivery even to Spain. Now where did I put my English credit card?

Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

The crossword dictionary is well worth having too.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

It’s as good as Mrs B’s if not better as the sections are not only laid out alphabetically (as you would expect!) but the words are enumerated (if that’s the right word)

• Annidrum
                  Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I like the crossword one ,a Christmas present, and it was very much used to-day.

17. mary
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Afternoon Dave, late today, things to do this morning! completed most with out help but got well and truly stuck on the top, I worked a lot of the clues out backwards today! no favourites and lots of question marks, disliked 1a, 6a 11a also 24a, a 3 to 4 star for me today, maybe it’s because I was doing it wrong time of day :-( thanks for blog Dave, off to read it now, wouldn’t have completed top without your help

18. Addicted
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Hated it! Only triumphs were solving 9d and 14a. Thanks for hints BD or would still have a very blank puzzle. Are the general public really supposed to know the name of a famous Swiss crossbow expert?? Uuurrrggghhh! Look forward to tomorrow!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I would have thought that William Tell was reasonably well-known!

• mary
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

yes, but a cotter pin! what has vintage got to do with it?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Back in the day when I used to build my own bikes it was quite common to take a lump hammer to a recalcitrant cotter pin. I think cycle technology may have moved on hence the vintage reference.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – See my post #16

• mary
            Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks pommers & spindrift

• Addicted
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

So I just showed my ignorance! Can’t say I realised he was Swiss – anyway, the clue says “hotshot” – I might have made an educated guess if it had said “crossbow”!! Still, my comment stirred up a lot of blogging!

Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Surely William Tell is the ONLY Swiss crossbow expert!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Trying to name five famous Swiss people is like trying to name five famous Belgians!

Orson Welles put it best – “Five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.” Then the Swiss very nicely pointed out that they’ve never made any cuckoo clocks.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Tried to think of 5 famous Swiss people. Came up with Roger Federer and that’s about it.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

William Tell, Sigmund Freud, Roger Federer and that’s about it, there’s probably a few skiers that I know by name but not nationality (5 famous Belgians is almost a doddle compared to the Swiss).

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Forgot about Sigmund – well, we’re up to 3!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

What about Toby Le Rone?

Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Le Corbusier, Ursula Andress, Carl Jung?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

How could I have forgotten the middle one? Must be getting senile!

• Tilly
              Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Freud was born in Friborg in what was then Galicia and part of the Austrian empire, so he doesn’t qualify. But you could always have Ursula Andress instead …………… :-D

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Ursula Andress – Another name we used to spoonerise when we were kids…

• Barry
            Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Pommers, you have left out that other great Swiss tennis player Martina Hingis, who is often referred to as the Swiss Miss.
            I would think that your good wife would not be impressed that you had forgotten this lady!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Hey Barry, I managed to forget Ursula Andress and I’m afraid the ‘Swis Miss’ didn’t stand a chance! :grin:

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Hey Pommers – how about Ernesto Bertarelli – winner of the Americas Cup?

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hi zofbak

Always thought he was Italian but I just tried him in Wiki and they lisy his nationality as Swiss/Italian so I guess he counts as a half!

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t he the Italian Captain on Allo Allo ?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Belgium was only invented so that we could have a war with France at a neutral ground.

• Brian
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

My old boss used to say that Switzerland was the land of woodwork bears and won’t work clocks.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

:grin:

19. Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed this and had a few to think about at the end – I agree with BD and eXternal about 13a. Thanks to the setter and to BD – Hardly looked at the Toughie – I will save the enjoyment for this evening

20. Posted February 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Not a great crossword, but not bad. Thought 9d one of the most unadventurous clues for ages.

• eXternal
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

especially when you realise Beatle is the definition. Doesn’t take too much to work that out!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Read the clue, looked at the enumeration, wrote in the answer – then pommette checked the anagram fodder! Not the best clue in the world but not ridiculous – somewhere in between. See my post #16 :smile:

21. Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

In my view the cream of today’s back page clues was the Quickie pun – Wizard !!

22. Annidrum
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Definitely a 3 if not 4* for me to-day but perservated (when is that word going to make it into the dictionary?) and got there in the end but not without some help. I actually thought 1a was a good clue and made me smile but as for 24a I could not figure out why it was what it was until I read BD’s explanation.I couldn’t figure out 13a either. But on the whole I enjoyed the challenge of it.

23. Derek
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Didn’t enjoy solving this one.
    Only one I liked was18a.
    Started on it very late after getting my hair cut in readiness for going to the second restaurant in the top 100 in NL on Saturday to celebrate my son-in-law’s birthday anniversary.
    Weather here still very cold. Hairdresser said that there is yet no OK for the elfstedentocht in Friesland. It was mentioned in the DT as a possibility after 15 years’ no-go!
    Looking forward to Giovanni’s puzzle tomorrow.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Derek

What’s on the menu tonight? We’re having good old English corned beef hash with pickled red cabbage and a bottle of local Alicante wine followed by strawberries. :smile:

Ordering Chambers from Amazon and I see they have ‘The Haggis’ in stock at only £3 so I’ll stick a copy on the order.

• Weekend wanda
        Posted February 10, 2012 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Not Argentian?

• andy
      Posted February 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Hope Saturday goes well Derek, how was the chinon? Not tried it before but have in the last hour been told I really should partake……

24. jdr
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Ground it out with the aid of Chamber’s Wordfinder. Some nice clues and some dreadful ones. Is there really a plural for ADO ? I would like to see a sentence that uses “ados” – many ados about nothing sounds really clumsy.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Hmmm – hadn’t thought about the plural of “ado” – do I now have an excuse for that one being one of the ones that I could not make any sense of at all? :smile:

• Posted February 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Is the past participle of ADO ADID ?

25. Posted February 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Big Red Book ordered :grin: (also The Haggis).

They say it should arrive on Monday but I’ll believe that when I see it!

Once it arrives there’ll be no stopping me :grin:

26. Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

A big yawn on this one, tedious. Where’s the fun?

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

1a was a good start in my book.

• andy
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

ditto. And at risk of BD wrath I rather liked 13a, remembering the advertisements. But I take on board the comments. Thanks to setter and BD.
        It has been snowing since 16:00 here in peterborough (north cambs in uk for usa and canadian readers) and lethal on pavements, be careful everyone

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Ah! – Its the special rain that freezes when it hits the floor apparently! Regarding the 13a, there are many setters (one of whom you have met) who would say “What’s wrong with that?!”. Take care up there – its OK down here!

• andy
            Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Ooh, which setter could that be I wonder..(not).

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

You’re allowed to disagree! I just put down my own thoughts as I write the review.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I didn’t understand 13a until I read the hint although it was fairly obvious what it had to be – particularly after I decided that 8d wasn’t “burglary”!! Oh dear!! I couldn’t see why 8d should be that apart from it being an illegal activity and it fitted!
          Snowing here in Oxford and has been since about 7.00pm – it’s falling on ground that has been frozen for a while – should make tomorrow morning “interesting”! Be careful and stay safe and warm everyone.

27. Steve_the_beard
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

OK, my rant about cotter pins is over…

I found this a right stinker! At lunchtime I only had twenty minutes to spare, which got me a whole EIGHT answers!

I really liked 1A, 11A, 18A and 2D… and hated 10A (how can “ado” have a plural?).

Thanks to setter and Big Dave, who must have been very annoyed if he didn’t give us a nice picture for 13a :-)

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Think you’re right about BD – he’s not given us any pictures art all ! :sad:

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it!

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

:lol:

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Well I DID give you a link to some nice pictures of cotter pins :-)

Posted February 10, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the review & hints. Hated this one, didn’t like 24& 18a, totally incomprehensible.

29. TimCypher
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

A few words/terms I’d not heard of before (1a, 11a and 15d), but this was do-able with a bit of guesswork.
    No stand-out clues – bit devoid of any sparkle on the whole…all a bit of a humdrum puzzle.

30. Mary C
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

So I am in NZ and get this in the Dominion Post a month after you people. But I really look forward to my daily crossword and although I am not very proficient I generally get at least half to 2 thirds. But this was no fun and very demeaning to achieve so little just because the compiler wanted to be too clever. Who was it crafted for?

• Posted March 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mary

I’m afraid the bad news for you is that there is another like this one in the pipeline!