DT 26708 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26708 (Hints)

Today is a special celebration

25 years ago Cephas had his first Daily Telegraph crossword puzzle published

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

1a           Impose legal constraint on nuisance with past (4,4)
A two-word phrase meaning to impose a legal restraint on, especially not to disturb the peace, is a charade of a nuisance or problem with past or finished

11a         Amount spent is better with no pence (6)
To get this amount spent drop the middle P(ence) from a verb meaning to better or defeat

18a         Speculate in article where you’ll see love grow (8)
This word meaning to speculate or postulate is a charade of the definite article, O (love / a score of zero in tennis) and a verb meaning to grow

26a         The woman’s timeless song embraces English inborn character (8)
Put the feminine possessive pronoun and a simple song without one of the Ts (Time-less) around (embraces) E(nglish) to get this inborn character

1d           One is expected to stand on one’s own two feet (5)
A cryptic definition of the type of animal that has only two feet

4d           Rushing rant, girl thought, requires another approach (8,7)
The reason this phrase meaning rushing looks like an anagram (requires another approach) of RANT GIRL THOUGHT is because it is!  Don’t go looking for it in Chambers though.

7d           Thames-side spot offering watery old booze, one hears (9)
This Thames-side spot, famous for its association with the sealing of Magna Carta, if split (5,4) is a charade of an adjective meaning watery and what sounds like some old booze produced by fermenting honey and water

22d         Cracked like half the code (5)
This adjective meaning cracked or crazy could mean like one of the two symbols used in the Morse code (not the dash, the other one!)

More hints and tips will appear here soon.

The Crossword Club opens at 10.00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {mind} + {Jerome} + (business} = {mind your own business}

1. Prolixic
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hearty congratulations to Peter on an amazing milestone.

There is an interview with Peter here:

Many thanks to our setter for a cracking crossword today and to BD for the hints.

2. Weekend wanda
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Enjoyable morning solving this and I did not know it was an anniversary. Right level of complexity and variety. Kicked myself on 1 a as I was looking for something Latin! Did not much like 22d as not sure about significance of last two letters. Ditto 9a for same reason. Across liked 11,12,13 18,20. Down liked too many to list. Was barking up the wrong tree with 4d. Second word easy. Got the answer for 16d but don’t know why. Thank you and congratulations Cephas. Some old favourites there!

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

16d Kay left upmarket Japanese dish (7)
      An anagram of (new recipe for) UPMAR(K)ET without the K (Kay left) gives a Japanese dish of seafood or vegetables deep-fried in batter

• spindrift
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Which strangely enough is what we ate last night for supper & delicious it was too accompanied by sweet chili dipping sauce!

• Weekend wanda
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Thanks for the explanation. Had got the answer but missed the anagram. Also stupidly I got 9a but was fixed on the five letter word for land. Now all crystal clear!

3. Dickiedot
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Jolly good stuff, thanks Cephas, congratulations on 25th Anniversary and BD for hints which were needed, took ages to get started but once on a roll…………………….

4. Franny
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Yes, congratulations to Cephas for his Silver Crosswords Anniversary. And thanks for yet another highly enjoyable puzzle. I had no great problems with it, particularly liked 12a and 7d — but on the Quickie I spent far too much time trying to find an author with a K in the middle of his name. I think it was the way it was printed on Clued Up.

I also enjoyed the interview, but please what is the Nuclear Rabbit (4, 7) ?
    :-)

• Prolixic
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Fast breeder

• Franny
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Thanks — I would never have worked that one out.

• mary
          Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

nor me, not sure I understand it either!

• Prolixic
            Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

A fast breeder is a type of nuclear reactor and a description of a rabbit.

• mary
              Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

thanks prolixic :-)

Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Have just read the interview with Cephas in the “Weekend” bit of the paper – I didn’t understand his favourite clue either – if that had come up as a clue in the crossword I wouldn’t have got it.

5. spindrift
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Slow start, steady through the middle & fairly hurtled down the final furlong. Over far too quickly as the actress said to the bishop.
    Congratulations Cephas on a signifiant milestone. Here’s to to another 25 years of Saturday morning treats. Thanks to BD as well for the hints but not required by this solver today. Now I’ll have to wait until lunchtime for the NTSPP while I crack on with the domestic chores.

• Prolixic
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

That’s a little bit spooky!

• spindrift
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Sorry Prolixic but I must be in “thick” mode. What is spooky?

• spindrift
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It is a bit isn’t it….

6. toadson
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Liked this one. 5d was new to me, and took a while to see 4d. I presume the first two letters of 25a are to do with markings on a map or something similar?

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

They are to do with the US railway that came up the other day!

• toadson
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Thanks Dave.

Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Congratulations to Cephas achieving a memorable landmark. Seemed tough at first today but gradually came together with some brilliant clues such as 17d and 11a, not sure I understood the relevance of the aquatic animal and coming gently into land in 9a or what the last three letters of 8a has to do worth continental but i am sure both are logical just not obvious to me. Thx to BD for the hint for 4d for a less than obvious phrase.

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

8a Support the Continental drive (6)
      Combine a support with the Spanish definite article (the in a Continental language) to get a word meaning to drive or thrust

9a Slowcoach gently coming into land (8)
      This slowcoach is created by putting the musical notation for gently or softly into some land

• Brian
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Thx BD, I get 8a, dead clever I thought and as I suspected obvious when explained. However, still not convinced I have the right answer to 9a, I have a ***** ******* ****** similar to a ********, I can see the first 5 letters mean land or earth and the letter for softly but why the last two or have I got the answer totally wrong?

Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

It’s not a 5-letter word for land that you need but a 7-letter word.

• Addicted
          Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Brian, take the single letter for musical notation out and the whole of the other 7 letters means a stretch of land.

8. mary
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ah, morning Dave thanks for the explaination of 9a, I was looking at the first five letters for land and couldn’t make out where the last three had come from! I found this tough today and am still not convinced I have the right answer to one across and 3d! fav clue 22d, some new words for me, 5d, 17d, and 3d if I have it right! at least a 3* today IMHO some ‘iffy’ readings as in 2d, thanks for hints today Dave, I really needed them to get going, because after getting 19d I was stuck for a while, congratulations to Cephas, what an achievement :-) good luck everyone from a warmish, dryish, sunnyish West Wakes, just as well our boiler is being changed today!!

• Collywobbles
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Congratulations to Cephas for setting such enjoyable puzzles.
      Like you, Mary, I am struggling today but perseverance is necessary. I agree, this has to be 3*

• mary
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Perservation is better collywobs :-)

• mary
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Turns out 3d is not a new word at all, I just had it wrong! not unusual for me :-)

9. Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Hearty congratulations and many thanks to Peter on his 25th Anniversary. This probably means that I have solved more of his puzzles than anyone else. This one was very enjoyable too with a few hanging out at the end which made me think. Favourites probably 5d and 14d.

Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Congratulations to Peter on what is an excellent day for having anniversaries of any sort – well I might be biased! I did wonder how many people are like me and will have solved most of the Cephas puzzles over the last 25 years.

I found today’s offering slightly trickier than usual – seemed to take ages but relatively speaking turned out not much longer than my usual Saturday time.

• Prolixic
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I understand from usually reliable sources that Peter’s first crossword appeared in the Daily Telegraph on CrypticSue’s 10th (ahem) birthday.

Many happy returns to Sue :)

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Aaaw! Hippy Bathday Sue!. Jam is excellent by the way!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the good wishes and jam-related compliments. We have so much jam still to get through you may get a jar at the next London gathering, and the one after that and….

Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

You are too kind…. sadly I wasn’t a child prodigy when it came to crossword solving (or anything else come to that).. I just like to think that I might be 35 :)

Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

And happy birthday from me too – lovely to meet you a couple of weeks ago – so you’re a Scorpio … ?

• jezza
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday :)

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday Sue!

11. Carrie
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Congratulations Cephas, you must be very proud at such an achievement. Thank you BD for hints and tips.

Seemed to solve by completing corners in a counter clockwise direction, SW, SE, NE then NW which l found the most difficult but on reflection I’m not sure why. Over analysing perhaps.

Favourite clues were 14d and 17d which seem somewhat tongue in cheek.

12. Sheepdog
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Phew, dunnit, I found that tough, of course it doesn’t help when I put the wrong letter in one of the squares!

13. mary
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Hee, hee, just seen the error of my ways for 1a,how stupid am I!! I put a three letter word for past inside a slang word for nuisance and ended up with the last word correct but the 2nd letter of the first word wrong!! How really really stupid!! Duh!

• Franny
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

It can happen so easily — never mind! :-)

• mary
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I knew you’d understand Franny! :-D

14. Rod Ash
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Good morning all. Thanks BD for the comments on 25a as I didn’t understand the railway reference despite being relaxed with the answer. No great favourites today 26a, 2d and 5d are clever. Congrats to Cephas

15. njm
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Just about the right level of difficulty for me. Liked 12a, 18a and 7d best. Thanks to Big Dave for explaining 9a, where I had also been wondering where the last three letters came after the latin word for land! Congrats to the setter on his silver anniversary.

16. Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

A slow start for me but once I got going reasonably straightforward. Cogratulations to Cephas on his silver, quite an achievement.

17. Sarah F
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Electricity been off all morning so just getting started==looks to be fun and enjoyable. Lovely day here in Edinburgh.

Congrats to Cephas and thanks for all your puzzles, also for the hints.

Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Cephas for an enjoyable crossword today, and a round of applause for your 25th anniversary.
    Thanks to BD for the hints.

19. toadson
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Incidentally, for how many was 14d in the ‘quickie’ a new word?

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

It’s an old crossword stalwart – well worth remembering!

• toadson
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I’ll try!

• Addicted
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Me!! Had to look it up as thought I’d gone horribly wrong. Nice not to be alone!

20. Caravaggio
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I feel obliged to apologise for arriving late for Cephas’s anniversary party and, like gnomethang and crypticsue, I’ve probably completed [and submitted] more of his puzzles than any other compiler – and I’ve still to get any sort of a mention on a Monday morning! Long may you continue, Cephas, and thank you for the enjoyment which you’ve given all of us over the years.

21. Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to Cephas from me too, one of the nice guys in the Crossword world.

• mary
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

are there nasty ones tilsit?

Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Don’t get him started ! :)

• mary
          Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

really??? :-)

Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Now I’m curious about the less than nice guys in the “Crossword World”!

22. Addicted
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to Cephas – I wonder how many times I’ve cursed him over the years?! But not to-day – thought it a most enjoyable puzzle and was pleased to finish it without hints in about 3 separate attempts 5a took me a while until I got 5d and the penny suddenly dropped with a clang. Loved 7d.

23. Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Congrats to Peter from me too!
    This was a splendid puzzle to celebrate with. Not too hard but it certainly raised a few smiles and gave a airing to some old favourites!
    Lots of good clues but 17d has to favourite.
    Thanks to BD for the hints.

24. mary
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Come on Wales!

25. Nora
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

This was my most enjoyable crossword for ages. The north west corner had me scratching my head for the while, but I got there once the penny dropped on 1a. For once I don’t think there were any clues I couldn’t unravel – everything made perfect sense, which is surely the mark of an excellent puzzle.

26. Collywobbles
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Can somebody help with 25a. I don’t get the US railway connection

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Have a look at the video for 4 down in Toughie 658

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD &CS

• Collywobbles
          Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

It also helps for me to spell 16d correctly. Doh!

• Rod Ash
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Great video – bolsters today’s learning…interesting to know if closure opinions would be different today in NY

Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

It has been in cryptics a lot lately. It’s the abbreviated term for an American railway.

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

The Loop in Chicago is a good example.

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Aha! My alter ego!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Surely there can’t be two of you? :)

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I have a better looking and more successful twin brother but, alas, I must confess to at least three ways to log into this page!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I am now trying to work out which of the other names on this site are you! Think I’lll give up and go and have another piece of delicious pear and chocolate marble cake. Good to see that no-one needs the naughty corner today, as I am definitely not sharing the cake with anyone.

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

You misunderstand – I usually am gnomethang but hit the ‘facebook’ log in. I have a Twitter option too insert your own joke!
                  I have no interest in being anonymous!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I didn’t really misunderstand honest, I just had fun working out who you might be if you weren’t always Gnomethang if you see what I mean.

27. Collywobbles
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I’ve got 21a but I don’t understand why. Can anyone help. That will be my last one when I put it away

Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Put a G in front of your answer

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS, now I can sleep tonight

28. Derek
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to Peter Chamberlain on his milestone achievement!

A very enjoyable puzzle!
    Faves : 9a, 12a, 21a, 28a, 1d, 3d, 7d, 14d & 22d.

Very interesting clues containing subtle cues!!

29. Roger
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I admit that I found this one way outside my competence. Even with the hints, I am struggling. Ah well…there’s always tomorrow’s!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword today – may I add my congratulations on the milestone of setting these addictive little brutes!
    Been gardening ALL day apart from two dog walks. Decided that I wouldn’t let myself look at the crossword until it was too dark to carry on – came in, had shower and promised myself that I would then sit down with the crossword – unfortunately, by then, had put so much hand cream on that I couldn’t hold the pen! Had to wait for it to sink in!!
    To begin with I really thought that I couldn’t do this one – wasn’t sure if it was a difficult crossword or just me being totally out of routine – normally do them in the mornings. Did left hand side without too many problems and then everything else fell into place and I ended up having finished it all too quickly – absolutely not bragging – just being honest.
    Lots of great clues probably too many to mention them all – perhaps 14 and 22d.
    With thanks and more congratulations to Cephas and, as always, thanks to Big Dave.
    Supper now, and wine and watch the dancing. Hooray!

31. Posted November 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Had the nerve to go and watch the England v Spain game on Spanish TV in the local bar! Didn’t gloat, well, not much!
    Well done Wales too.

32. TimCypher
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Oh cripes, this is well difficult for a Saturday crossword! I’ve only got 8 answers, and I’m totally stuck – just thought I’d pop in to look at the hints so see if that gives me something to progress with (which I think it has!)
    Gratifying to see that others have found it on the tricky side too!
    On with the slog…

• TimCypher
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Phew! Finally finished this…
      Wasn’t familiar with 1a and 9a used in those contexts…and the abbreviation for ‘theologian’ used in 6d was a new one on me too!
      But, yes, a tough, but fairly clued offering – I very much liked 17d, big smile as the penny dropped.
      Maximum respect to Cephas for reaching your milestone, and also to Big D for those hints, which I very much needed this week! :)

33. Franco
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Wow! First crossword in 1986!!

I had always thought that the most significant event of that year was the Maradona “Hand of God” incident. Wrong again!

Nice Crossword Today – I really thought that for once I was going to be able to just read all the clues and “pencil” them in. I had a very good start, but, alas, came to a shuddering halt in the NW corner. Thanks to Cephas!

Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

The most significant event in 1986 was the birth of No 2 son, who although not a good sleeper, did allow me time to solve the first Cephas crossword and many after that.

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

My mum says I was a very good sleeper as a baby and it’s a skill I have never lost!

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

1986? Changed job, moved house and bought first boat. No time for crosswords.
      Not a lot happened really!

34. Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I’m beginning to wonder whether Cephas has played a little joke on us! Having just looked at the puzzle again I realise that a lot of these clues are ‘ringing bells’ with me. At the time he started the Saturday puzzle was the only one I ever got a look at so . . .
    Could it be that Cephas has trawled his archives and employed clues that he’s used before over the last 25 years? Neat trick if he has!

• Franco
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Indeed, some look very familiar – apart from the ones that I found difficult!

• TimCypher
      Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Ahhhhhhh, so this is a bit of a greatest hits package?
      Fair play to him – I’d say he’s earned the right to spot of self-indulgence! 8)

• Posted November 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Don’t really know Tim – the thought only just occurred to me and is probably completely ‘off the wall’, but it would be a fitting way to celebrate 25 years of setting IMHO.
        Perhaps Cephas will enlighten us!

35. Little Dave
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to Cephas – 25 years and going strong. Well done. Got into this late as last night I was at Ronnie Scotts which was a great evening. This puzzle was nicely balanced in terms of difficulty 3d being particularly clever. A few give-aways but 17d made me smile. Thanks for the review and everyone else for the interesting comments.

Posted November 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Cephas and Big Dave, very good puzzle, thought Iwas struggling, then all fell into place. Last in 25, favourite 26.

• Heno
      Posted November 13, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Sorry, congrats to Cephas on his 25 years, brilliant!