Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

Not one of my favourite puzzles. In my opinion, answers like 30a don’t really belong on the back page.

5a    What a lazy setter may resort to (6)
{KENNEL} – a cryptic definition of where a dog might sleep

8a    A half of Pernod and vermouth provided drink (8)
{APERITIF} – a charade of A from the clue, the first half of PER(nod), the short name for IT(alian vermouth) and a two-letter word meaning provided gives this alcoholic drink taken before a meal

9a    Smallest particle visible in any dissection (7)
{ANATOMY} – put the smallest particle inside ANY to get the science of the physical structure of an animal or plant learned by dissection

10a    First-class oil used for garlic mayonnaise (5)
{AIOLI} – the two-letter abbreviation for first-class followed by an anagram (used) of OIL gives a garlic-flavoured
mayonnaise that came up in a recent Micawber Toughie

11a    Found a woozy bliss following electric shock treatment (9)
{ESTABLISH} – a word meaning to found or create is created by putting A from the clue and how someone might say bliss if they were drunk after the abbreviation of Electric shock treatment

13a    Dunces’ stream the customary form for rugby forwards? (8)
{THICKSET} – split the answer as (5,3) and it might be the dunces stream in a school, but it is actually an adjective that could describe a typical rugby forward

14a    Ocelot’s first and second target is a raptor (6)
{OSPREY} – a charade of the initial letter (first) of Ocelot, S(econd) and a target, perhaps of the bird in the answer, gives this raptor

17a & 19a    Peruse missing article by premier in tabloid (3,3)
{RED TOP} – drop the A (indefinite article) from a verb meaning to peruse then add a word meaning premier or foremost to get a collective name for the Sun, Mirror and Star

19a    See 17a

20a    A ‘kosher’ ratatouille’s ingredients generating a list of corrections (6)
{ERRATA} – hidden inside the clue (ingredients) is a list of corrections

23a    Rest during fighting (8)
{INACTION} – this word meaning rest or passivity is a charade of a a two-letter word meaning during followed by fighting

26a    Wok legend cooked for acquaintance (9)
{KNOWLEDGE} – an anagram (cooked) of WOK LEGEND gives a word meaning acquaintance or familiarity

28a    George Raft’s Colombo a match for petty quarrels (5)
{SPATS} – the nickname of the character played by George Raft in the classic film Some Like it Hot also means quarrels or disagreements

29a    More than half of vivisections performed in regular clothes (7)
{CIVVIES} – an anagram (performed) of more than half of VIVISEC(tions) gives regular clothes as opposed to uniform

30a    Street musician’s extraordinary charisma drawing one in as sun comes out (8)
{MARIACHI} – I had to look up this traditional Mexican strolling musician which is an anagram (extraordinary) of CHARI(S)MA with I (one) added (drawing one in) and S(un) removed (comes out)

31a    Craving designer T-shirt (6)
{THIRST} – this craving is an anagram (designer) of T-SHIRT

1d           Before noon accountant is duty-bound to be free (6)
{VACANT} – put a Chartered Accountant in front of N(oon) and then insert into (bound) a sales tax to get a word meaning free or unoccupied

2d           Semi-nude model without turnover of work that’s money in the bank (7)
{DEPOSIT} – start with the second half (semi) of (nu)DE and a verb meaning to model or pose then put this around  (without) a musical work reversed (turnover) and the result is money in the bank

3d           Small white wine cocktail in San Tropez starts a fashion (9)
{MINISKIRT} – a synonym for small is followed by a white wine cocktail (one that is suffixed by royale when champagne is used) inside the iniotial letters (start) of San Tropez

4d           Misinformation about red fruit (6)
{LICHEE} – put misinformation or untruth around a famous left-wing rebel to get one of several alternative spellings of this small rounded fruit

5d           Abandon anorak and go for jumper (8)
{KANGAROO} – an anagram (abandon) of ANORAK and GO gives this jumping marsupial

6d           Oddly least pain that comes up is to do with birth (5)
{NATAL} – take the odd letters of the second and third words in the clue and reverse them (comes up, in a down clue) to get an adjective meaning to do with birth

7d           Caught hem needs repair (8)
{ENMESHED} – this word meaning caught or trapped is an anagram (repair) OF HEM NEEDS

12d         Pen with a lot of style (3)
{STY} – this pen or enclosure is formed from most of the letters of STY(LE)

15d         Tramp’s wearing outfit that wouldn’t have looked out of place in the Apollo (9)
{SPACESUIT} – put a verb meaning tramp or march together with the ‘S from the clue inside an outfit to get another outfit, this time one that was used in the Apollo missions – I complained the other day about words in the clue that didn’t match the way they were used in the wordplay – here “tramp” is a noun in the clue and a verb in the wordplay

16d         Wag is somewhat akin to comedian? (8)
{BRANDISH} – a word meaning to wag or shake could mean akin or similar to the real comedienne Jo or the allegedly funny Russell

18d         Land right in the middle of green with meanest shot (8)
{EASEMENT} – a right attaching to a piece of land entitling its owner to exercise some right over adjacent land owned by another person is derived from the middle letter of grEen followed by an anagram (shot) of MEANEST

21d         Something very difficult in 12? (3)
{PIG} – something that is very difficult is also one of the occupants of 12 down

22d         France changing rule for popular subsidy (7)
{FINANCE} – start with FRANCE and then change R(ule) for a word meaning popular to get this subsidy or funding

24d         Sailor depressed by Birmingham’s centre gets delicious drink (6)
{NECTAR} – put this three-letter word for a sailor after (depressed by, in a down clue) Birmingham’s National Exhibition centre to get a delicious drink

25d         Monster is seen swimming (6)
{NESSIE} – this mythical Scottish monster is an anagram (swimming) of IS SEEN

27d         Review a verifiable case for change (5)
{WAVER} – hidden inside (case) the first three words of the clue is a word meaning to change or vacillate

The only high spot for me was being reminded of Some Like it Hot!

The Quick crossword pun: {Esk} + {ape} + {claws} = {escape clause}

1. beangrinder
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I thought this was a good challenge, quite tough. I had heard of 30a and worked backwards. A few easy anagrams to help along the way. Thanks as ever.

2. Wayne
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

First; I enjoyed the pun in the quickie, which is more than I can say for the Xword. No outstanding clues for me and thought 21d was “iffy” closely followed by 30a. 3* for Difficulty and 1* for Enjoyment. Certainly not my favourite Xword ever. Thanx to Compiler and to BD for (half) his Review.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I agree with the rating for difficulty and enjoyment. No particular favourites today, but no real complaints either.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this and thought that there were some clever clues, but it did put up quite a fight – for a while I thought that I was never going to be able to finish it. At least a 3* if not a 4* for difficulty for me today. The ones that gave the most trouble were 11, 13 and 28a and 3, 4, 16 and 18d. The clues I really like include 8a and 5, 7, 15 and 24d. With thanks to the setter and BD.
    VERY cold here – first day of having to wear multiple layers so feeling a bit like a stuffed earwig! :sad:

• mary
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

that conjures up an interesting picture Kath, cold here too but warm enough at mo to be sitting here with the patio doors open for dogs to go in and out :-)

Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Definitely not warm enough to sit with kitchen door open – and now it looks as if it might rain. Going for dog walk soon then some digging in the garden.

• Nora
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I thought I was never going to get going, but then things started falling into place and I enjoyed it in the end. 30a is my new word for today, but I don’t think I’m likely to be able to use it very often.

Stuffed earwig? I’m trying to picture you, but can’t quite manage it.

5. Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Can’t say I really enjoyed this today and am still waiting for the Down’s to check on a couple of very iffy answers.

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

As I thought, 16D does not work for me at all especially due to the lack of comedians in BD’s clue. As far as I am concerned, one is a self centred, egotistical unfunny person who seems to delight at people squirming when they use crude language and the other is a female self centred, egotistical unfunny person who seems to delight at people squirming when they use crude language. I have to hear either of them tell a joke or recount a funny story that does not involve swearing or bodily functions.

6. Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

According to my father, yesterday’s toughie was easier.

7. mary
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Funnily enough I quite enjoyed this one today, a few ‘iffy’ clues maybe but on the whole enjoyable I thought, a 3* for me, fav clue 23a, thanks for hints Dave even though didn’t need tham today, as a matter of interest why do you think 30a doesn’t really belong in a back page crossword?

8. Jan
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Had to resort to Mr Google for George Raft ( a bit even before my time) but even he couldn’t get me the musician even though I’d got the anagram letters right totally new to me. Couple made me smile like 11a and 16d.

• Addicted
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I actually worked out the relevant letters but then had to resort to my electronic friend for the “anagram solver”! Totally new word for me – thought it a bit “toughie” for a back-pager! Did finally finish without hints, but found it quite hard going.

9. Collywobbles
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I seem to be getting through on line OK now. Does this mean that the problems have been fixed? Does anybody know

• Collywobbles
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

If they have, Phil will not have to send through pdfs’ now

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I spent 90 minutes trying to submit this puzzle, then gave up and went to bed! The site is definitely not yet fixed, but does seem to run better than it did a few weeks ago.

• Collywobbles
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I’ve got straight on to it for the past 3 days. I think that they should tell us when it is fixed to save all the extra trouble. They are a shower whomever they are

• Silveroak
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I find I am unable to get onto the site until 7 or 8pm UK time so it is not fixed from my perspective. Also problems with it getting stuck when I try to submit. I think they should be entered in the Guinness Book of Records for longest time a web site was down:)

• mary
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

don’t know Collywobs, I’m sticking with Dave for now :-)

• Collywobbles
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

All youv’e got to do is try it Mary

• Franco
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

20th October 2011 @ 16:05 – the DT’s pdf files on their home page are still yesterday’s puzzles. How is it possible that BD can provide the latest puzzles before the DT?

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Probably because I have better control over what happens on this website than the Puzzles Editor does on his. Believe you me, I wouldn’t want to be updating the Telegraph Puzzles site.

• Franco
              Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Hope you didn’t lose too much sleep last night! Noticed that there was a bit of a delay in publishing today’s puzzles! Zzzzzzzzzzz!

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Someone forgot to send them to me until after I went to bed! I wasted quite a while trying to access the puzzles on the Telegraph Puzzles site so that I could create my own pdfs, and finally gave up the fight.

• Franco
                  Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I always thought that running this blog was a lot harder than it seems. Many Thanks to BD & Team! (Beginning to sound like Kath in her effusive praise)

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

When I took over the blogging of the back-page puzzles from James Cary he accurately described the job as a “self-imposed responsibilty”.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Franco – are you mocking me? I just think that this is such a fantastic blog – see, you’ve set me off again!! :grin:

• Franco
                      Posted October 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Kath, – not mocking you at all – I hope that you are not offended. But, you are always so enthusiastic about this site!

(Must admit that I don’t know the meaning of “effusive”) :smile:

Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I am on the side of the grumpy people today – it took me about three times longer than my ‘normal’ to get to the end of it and I didn’t enjoy myself much either. Like Beangrinder, I had heard of the musicians and worked backwards to sort out the wordplay. Thanks to the Mysteron and to BD too.

The Toughie lives up to its name – took me ages but did help to sitting in the back row at a large and long meeting pass by!

• Jezza
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I’m glad the Toughie took you a while – I thought I was being particularly dense today! :)

• andy
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I’ve given up on the other one, cannot get it at all. First time for months and months. 3/4 done and no further despite cogitation. Hmmpphh

Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I recommend going to a two hour meeting, and sitting in the back row so that I could do the crossword surreptitiously, worked wonders for my cogitation:D

• andy
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I tried taking it to the Doctors to do in the waiting room awaiting a post-dog bite Tetanus jab, still stared blankly at the SE corner. Some days you can, some days you can’t!!

11. Roland
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

No real issues with today’s offering except I had to look up 30a for confirmation. Agree with 2* for difficulty and enjoyment. Thanks to setter and to BD.

12. spindrift
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

30 a was one of the first clues I got – remembering it from a film early in Antonio Banderas’s career.

13. Gari
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Only 1 problem today & that was with 4d, I always thought it had a Y in it. :D

Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

So did I but it’s an alternative spelling – think we’ve probably had both before but I still had to look it up to check – a bit like muesli – always have to check that one too. :smile:

• Gari
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath
        I also found another spelling of it ending in ” *itchi” which I summise is derived from the Latin name for it, ah well 4 days of peace now I’ve just dropped the other half off at Dover docks, she’s off to Paris for 4 days with her sister which means no interrupted solving sessions and even better I can stay in the garage tinkering with my motorbikes till whatever time I feel like. :D

14. Collywobbles
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I agree with BD, I don’t know who the setter is but I found that I did not understand a lot of the clues and I do feel that, as a result, it deserves more than 2*’s

15. Warren
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

A 3* difficulty at least for me. Finished just within the upper end of my personal acceptable time parameters but was pleased to do so as it felt pretty tough. I have a particular loathing for clues which are anagrams of part of a word such as 29a. If you can’t find an appropriate anagram (unless with a clear steer to miss 1 or 2 specific letters out) then find another way to clue it!

• Collywobbles
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I totally agree. I’m not going to bother to finish it and that’s going to spoil my day. Do we know who the setter is?

16. BigBoab
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Not bad, not good, fairly average in fact. Thanks to the setter and to BD.

17. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Not much happiness at the stately home today. Finished reasonably quickly but ended up feeling grumpy rather than satisfied. Guessed 28 early on but still fail, having looked at Big Dave’s hints, to understand what Colombo has to do with it. If the answer is that that was the name, as opposed to nickname, of Raft’s character, I am not impressed. Agree entirely with Warren about part anagrams.

18. Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

How odd. Haven’t had time to tackle the puzzle itself, but just reading through Across clues & answers (thus no opinion on Downs as yet) but… surfaces of 103a & 26a are a tad clunky but all of the others feel very nicely constructed to me – a good balance of starters and challengers for a late-in-the-week offering. Might be 2-3 stars for difficulty, but easily 4-5 for enjoyment.
    I know what the problem is. BD is turning you all into expert solvers! I mean that entirely as a compliment; this blog is giving you all such a good grounding in how to solve clues that you are, without realising it, raising your expectations in terms of what clues should do to entertain.
    Without naming names, there are regulars here who, by their own admission, could be called novice solvers only a year or so ago, but who are now writing top flight clues on DIY COW. That forum is doubtless part of the training, but I think this blog may be playing an even greater role.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it’s a getting on the solver’s wavelength thing – I am an experienced solver ( 41 years) and today’s back pager took me three times as long as those on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday did.

• Nora
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I think wavelength does help, but practice and guidance from the blog are what have really made me a better solver. I used to think I could never solve a RayT, as I wasn’t on his wavelength, but as I now have a better understanding of how clues are constructed, he holds no fear any more (well, perhaps just a little bit).

I only have the odd REALLY bad day nowadays (like Tuesday)!

• mary
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I think Tuesday was a bad day for a lot of us Nora, so it is not just you :-)

• Nora
            Posted October 21, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I noticed that. One of the reasons I love the blog is the reassurance that I’m not alone!

• mary
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I agree Nora Ray T and Giovanni were names to strike dread, now however they are mostly ‘tacklable’ with a little ‘perservation’ :-)

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

If you want an example of the master at work, have a look at today’s Toughie by Elkamere (aka Anax). Even if you can’t finish it, read Bufo’s explanations of the clues.

• mary
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I agree Anax, without this blog I would not be anywhere near solving these puzzles, having accidentally come across it just over 2 years ago when I first started doing cryptic crosswords, it has been invaluable to me, Dave and his band of helpers have been extraordinarily patient, welcoming and helpful, as well as most others taking part, I would be totally lost without it, I have also been ‘having a go’ on COW and found that forum also helps in understanding of cryptic clues, what more could I ask! only that I wish I still didn’t need my books etc. so often :-( A huge ‘Thank you’ to Dave and his merry band :-)

• andy
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Ditto absolutely everything you say Mary, except i’m in the one year not two year club.

• Scrabo
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

In the same boat here. Started doing the crossword about a year and a half ago and would probably have abandoned the idea if I hadn’t found this site. So i too have learned so much from all the solvers…..not enough to solve today’s crossword though which I found difficult to say the least. So thanks to Big Dave and the team. I’ve struggled long enough with this and will now check out the hints.

• Silveroak
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I have some old DT Cryptic Crossword books with puzzles from 50 years ago and, except for anagrams, the way the clues are written has changed considerably. I think they have become harder.

• Franco
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Anax, I’m with you (in the minority) on today’s puzzle. Lots of really good surface readings – 26a & 3d for example – very entertaining!

A few minor quibbles – 28a = GK and 16d should have been comedienne (if I’ve got the right comedian?)

• mary
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I think it must be Russell, Franco :-)

• Franco
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Mary, I’ve never considered him to be a comedian – more like an irritation! But, we all have our own likes and dislikes! Just like today’s puzzle which I thought was really clever and enjoyable!

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Apparently some people think that Russell is funny – I think that there is a big gap between humour and rudeness.

• mary
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I’m with you all the way Dave, I really do not like him

• andy
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I was glad you put “allegedly” in the hint.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Lots of things in the last few comments to reply to.
      1. I agree with Anax about today’s crossword and about how much this blog has contributed to crossword solving ability and understanding for lots of people.
      2. I also agree with Mary’s comment.
      3. Really don’t like Russell Brand either.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Too tough for me I’m afraid, at least a 4 star for difficulty for me.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Big Dave & the setter. I didn’t like it at all. Probably because I couldn’t do it. I thought some of the content very obscure, Never heard of 18 or 30,or Kir in 3. I was surprised was only 2* for difficulty. Needed 16 hints to complete, and had to look up 7 of those. Better luck tomorrow.
    Has something changed on the site ? I haven’t been able to add a comment via my Android Smartphone for the last 2 days, but it works ok on my PC.

• Warren
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Working on Android for me.

• Heno
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks Warren, it’s strange. It worked almost every time except for the last two days.

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

The posting of comments is controlled by the WordPress software, not by me!

• Heno
            Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave, I just wanted to check wether something had changed on the site. It’s probably one of those things that’s impossible to track down> I’ll try again tomorrow via Android.

21. Derek
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Didn’t enjoy this puzzle very much.
    Faves : 8a, 9a, 14a, 30a, 3d, 7d, 15d & 25d.

Re 14a, the only specimens I ever saw wild were in Yellowstone – magnificent birds.

Central heating came on yesterday and today – first time since earlier this year so the summer is now behind us in NL.
    Had to put on my Noorse sokken (Norwegian socks) this morning – brrr!

Left-over roast chicken tonight – the wine is never left over!!!

Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Saw the 14a’s in Scotland in, I think, 1976 – Skye probably – when there was only a couple of breeding pairs in the whole of the UK. I could be wrong on all those facts but, if I am, I’m quite sure someone will tell me!! :smile:

22. Wayne
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

The Ratings give 2 stars (below average) . Don’t recall seeing such a poor rating before, perhaps Big Dave could check/comment.

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I think it means that the silent majority enjoyed it as little as I did. Not a “bad” puzzle, just one that lacked sparkle. The only other setter who regularly achieves low ratings is a certain Toughie setter!

23. piglet
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed it. 30a didn’t phase me. Just listen to some Tom Lehrer.

Tough but fair.

• Franco
      Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Tom Lehrer? Never heard of him, …or maybe I have …in a DT crossword ….quite recently – DT 26565 …Oedipus Rex.

Tom Lehrer – In Old Mexico

• Franco
        Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

And the first few lines of the lyrics:-

When it’s fiesta time in Guadalajara
        Then I long to be back once again in old Mexico
        Where we lived for today, never giving a thought to tomara
        To the strumming of guitars in a hundred grubby bars
        I would whisper, “Te amo”

The mariachis would serenade
        And they would not shut up till they were paid
        We ate, we drank, and we were merry
        And we got typhoid and dysentery

Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

That’s cheerful!!

24. Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

mumble mumble, seen better. Dave, you have the patience of a saint and the insight of a mystic. You are rearing a group of cynical experts in cruciverbalism which can only be a good thing.

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

It certainly keeps the setters on their toes!

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Exactly what I was thinking, it still bugs me that the mystery setters don’t have the decency to reveal who they are, especially when we are happy to criticize and praise them in equal measure on the blog.

• Franco
          Posted October 20, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

“All setters are equal, but some setters are more equal than others.”

25. Alan
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Big Dave, I have noticed that the Telegraph site is improving in terms of being able to get on and print (which is all I do), however there must be a strong possibility that this improvement is due to the reduction in demand as a result of the publishing of the crosswords on this site? My point being, please don’t stop this service until we are absolutely certain the problem is resolved. Just out of interest, do you have any indications of how many people are accessing the crossword via your site!
    Thanks again to Phil McNeil and yourself.

• Posted October 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I’ll publish them for as long as they are sent to me. You want to try getting on to the site in the early hours of the morning (or should I say you don’t want to try!).

26. Timcypher
    Posted October 21, 2011 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Ewwwwww, didn’t go much on this…
    From the outset, it was clear that this was going to be a tougher one, but, for me, ended up more a raw deal. I really didn’t care for some of the clues (eg ‘abandon’ as an anagram indicator, ‘IT’ as an abbreviation for vermouth, never heard of George Raft or the Mexican musician, and is an atom really the smallest particle, and is anatomy now dissection?)
    Too iffy for me, so I actually gave up on it, rather than endure further frustration with the obliqueness of it all.
    First one star I’ve ever given :(

Posted October 21, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

You obviously never had a granny who used to drink Gin and It. :)

• Timcypher
        Posted October 21, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Haha, I must call her and see if that’s her tipple! She’s never been a big drinker, mind… ;)