Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

There’s nothing too difficult in today’s puzzle but nothing that really stands out either. How did it grab you?
If you want to see an answer just highlight the space between the curly brackets under the relevant clue.

Across Clues

7a  Music maker in a third-party relationship? (8)
{TRIANGLE} – a basic musical instrument also describes an eternal relationship involving a couple and a third party.

9a  Weak sun has radiance (6)
{SLIGHT} – S(un) is followed by a synonym for radiance.

10a  Silence is felt awkwardly (6)
{STIFLE} – a verb meaning to silence or suppress is an anagram (awkwardly) of IS FELT.

11a  Dealing with fish food? The reverse (8)
{TACKLING} – the definition here is dealing with. We want a charade, not of fish and food, but of the reverse, i.e. food followed by a fish.

12a  Varied comments circulating quotes (8,6)
{INVERTED COMMAS} – an anagram (circulating) of VARIED COMMENTS produces quotation marks. This is very nearly an all-in-one but as it stands the whole clue doesn’t really mean the answer. I think that the addition of a small punctuation mark, making it Varied comments’ circulating quotes might have done the trick – what do you think?

15a  Addict starts to undergo self-elected rehabilitation (4)
{USER} – a term for a drug addict is formed from the initial letters (starts to) of the last part of the clue.

17a  Draft line for monotonous speech (5)
{DRAWL} – a verb meaning to draft or sketch out is followed by L(ine). It’s a bit sloppy to include in the clue a word which is the answer to an intersecting clue.

19a  Regularly took only spade? (4)
{TOOL} – regular letters from ‘took only’ produce something of which spade is an example.

20a  Book transfer of yearly revenue (6,8)
{ANNUAL TURNOVER} – this is accountant-speak for the total gross income of a company during its financial year. It’s a charade of a book published every year and a phrasal verb (4,4) meaning to transfer (ownership of an enterprise, for example) to someone else.

23a  Explain prisoner’s right (8)
{CONSTRUE} – a verb meaning to explain or interpret comes from a slang word for a prisoner, the ‘S from the clue and a synonym for right or correct.

25a  At full speed, completely exhausted (3,3)
{ALL OUT} – double definition.

27a  Article on poems — they may be electrifyingly positive (6)
{ANODES} – an indefinite article is followed by poems to make positively charged conductors. If this were a down clue the use of “on” would be fine but in an across clue it seems to be the wrong way round.

28a  Green banana put in ground by amateur at home (8)
{PLANTAIN} – a green banana which is cooked as a vegetable in some tropical countries is formed from a verb meaning to put in the ground (with the expectation of growth) followed by A(mateur) and the usual Crosswordland word for at home.

Down Clues

1d  Tenacity of Greek with sex appeal! (4)
{GRIT} – a word meaning tenacity or backbone is formed from the abbreviation for Greek followed by an informal word for sex appeal.

2d  Woodpecker’s very loud in university surroundings (6)
{YAFFLE} – I didn’t know this word for a green woodpecker but we obviously needed a 4-letter university and there aren’t many (at least not many well-known ones) so it wasn’t too tricky. Put the musical abbreviation for fortissimo (very loud) inside one of the Ivy League universities in the US.

3d  Violently tend to cause damage (4)
{DENT} – to cause damage (as a result of a prang, possibly) is an anagram (violently) of TEND.

4d  A little tipsy chorister having behavioural problems (6)
{PSYCHO} – hidden (a little) in the clue is an abbreviated adjective used to describe someone exhibiting abnormal or violent social behaviour.

5d  Plot maid concocted as go-between (8)
{DIPLOMAT} – an anagram (concocted) of PLOT MAID gives someone who acts as a go-between at a governmental level.

6d  Flower’s quality to represent diamond — that’s fake (10)
{RHINESTONE} – string together a major European river (flower), the ‘S from the clue and a synonym for quality or style to make an imitation diamond.

8d  Acknowledged tense Earl to be consumed by lust (7)
{GREETED} – the abbreviations for T(ense) and E(arl) are contained in (consumed by) a sin involving excessive desire (lust) to make a verb meaning acknowledged or hailed.

13d  Snoop and snitch, roughly (4,6)
{NOSE AROUND} – a phrasal verb meaning to snoop is a charade of the part of the body for which snitch is a slang term and a synonym for roughly or approximately.

14d  Doctor behind in payment (5)
{DRAFT} – a written order for the payment of money is an abbreviation of doctor followed by a word meaning at the rear (behind) in a ship or aircraft.

16d  Possibly residing on edge of combat zone (8)
{RINGSIDE} – an anagram (possibly) of RESIDING gives the position of the most expensive seats at a boxing match.

18d  Woman accepts new account somewhere in Cyprus (7)
{LARNACA} – put a woman’s name (think of the character played by Julie Christie in Dr Zhivago) around (accepts) N(ew) and the abbreviation for account to make the name of a city and tourist resort on the south coast of Cyprus.

21d  A vote cast to the other side (6)
{ACROSS} – a preposition meaning to the other side is also (1,5) a mark made to cast a vote.

22d  With cry of pain, cancelled services for young birds (6)
{OWLETS} – put together an exclamation of pain and services on the tennis courts which are neither valid nor a fault but have to be retaken (cancelled).

24d  Watch found in ladies’ pyjamas (4)
{ESPY} – a verb to watch may be found in the clue.

26d  A French-Italian is one (4)
{UNIT} – a French indefinite article and the abbreviation for Italian combine to form a single entity (one).

The clues I liked best were 13d and 22d. Let us know what took your fancy.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {YOU} + {NIGHT} + {TED} = {UNITED}

1. Mike in Amble
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I didn’t really like this one to start with but as the dawn came on the last half dozenI or so then I realised that I had been nicely teased. Fav. clues 12a and 6d. As a keen twitcher I had come across 2d before but it wasn’t helping me with the NW. Thanks setter and Gazza. Great H & T inserts today!! :D

• andy
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Not a twitcher myself, just remembered watching Bagpuss when younger!

Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I did not find anything tricky in this one today. I got the answer to 2d straight away (perhaps from watching Bagpuss as a child!).
    Thanks to setter, and to Gazza for the review.
    Not sure why my location is showing as Fampoux, as Marseille is a few hundred miles away from there, unless I am connecting through a proxy server.

3. Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Nothing too difficult, just a regular cryptic, solved before I finished my early morning cuppa. I liked 2d because we’re blessed with them in our new garden. My thanks also.

4. Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Agree with Gazza here, not too difficult but not a lot stands out either. Nice to see 12A and 2D making an appearance. Probably my favourite clue today is 22D as the missus and I adopted one whilst on honeymoon (its called Ridcully – how many of you know where that name comes from?)

• Prolixic
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Arch-Chancellor of the Unseen University in Ankh Morpork

• Lostboy
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Nice one Skempie……. never shy to mention The Disc, eh?
      Anyway, a bit busy, so Mustrum. :-)

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

The Disc deserves to mentioned as often as possible. Don’t forget – The Turtle Moves.

5. Prolixic
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

About one and a half stops to solve this one. Bagpuss helped with 2d and favourite clues were 4d and 22d. Thanks to our mysteron for a non-too difficult crossword and to Gazza for the review.

6. mary
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Afternoon Gazza, I agree with you today :-) , I quite enjoyed it but don’t have a favourite clue really, ah well back to being builders mate now that I’ve done the crossword and all the housework, a womans work is never done!!

Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Always nice to have a cryptic where one can think of Bagpuss, thank you Mystery Setter. Nothing too difficult but enjoyable. Thanks to Gazza too.

Am awaiting the ‘other’ review with interest as Beam and I are definitely not on the same wavelength today.

• Prolixic
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

You’re off-beam then?

Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Very slightly askew :)

8. AlisonS
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I agree with most of the comments so far – nothing too tricky, but I did like 2d for reminding me of Bagpuss and 22d, which made me smile, as did the pic, so thanks Gazza.

Must re-read Pratchett – it’s been far too long… :-)

9. Lostboy
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

My only disappointment today was Gazza’s picture for 2d, and as we all thought of the same thing, here’s a link for anyone who wants a quick reminder…..

Featuring also my favourite Rodent/ Instrument pun.

Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Sadly (or perhaps not) I’ve never watched Bagpuss so was totally unaware of the carved wooden book-end connection :D

• Lostboy
        Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Never watched……..?!
        I am sad for you Gazza…….

If you have 53 seconds spare, ty this (SFW), lol, featuring Prof. Yaffle AND the Mice off the Marvellous Mechanical “Mouse Organ” (geddit.)

• mary
        Posted August 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I never watched it either :-)

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Must admit that I’ve never really watched Bagpuss (although I do know about Professor Yaffle), I much preferred Oliver’s previous works, Noggin the Nog and Ivor the Engine (some wonderful clips of these on Youtube if you look for them)

• Drcross
        Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

It was the Clangers for me…..the Soup Dragon and the Iron Chicken – fantastic!!

10. Little Dave
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

All done – liked this one and particularly like those pyjamas above.

11. AtH1900
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Ah, Mr Yaffle. I hear Bagpuss might be making a comeback. If it does, can the Magic Roundabout be far behind? Boinnnnng!

Only got to look at this very recently after an exhausting day taking our older (five year-old) Granddaughter to the NHM. The Blue Whale was her favourite, the T-Rex her least liked. I thought it could have been scarier … like last week’s Cryptics could have been. :)

Posted August 2, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Not too difficult but needed the hint for 6d – total mental block – not surprising having spent four hours in OPD with my Mum this morning – all a bit mind numbing. :sad: I’ve never watched Bagpuss and neither am I a “birder” but I knew the other name for a woodpecker, probably from previous crosswords – we also have lots of them in our garden. Before I looked at the hints and comments I had a very quick whizz through all the answers and decided that the only one that Gazza could make anything of for a picture clue was 24d!! I liked 4, 13 and 22d best today. With thanks to whoever made this one up and to Gazza. Hot, sticky and cloudy with an occasional burst of torrential rain in Oxford.

13. Nick
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Agreed with the majority – quite easy today – but I did enjoy it. Some nice gentle teasing from the setter…

Thanks to the setter and Gazza for the review.

Nick

14. pommers
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Fairly straightforward and no real stand-out clues so a little bland IMHO. However, pommette and I did quite enjoy it over a pre-prandial in the local so thanks to the setter and Gazza (nice piccies).

15. Drcross
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

I started this in the bottom right and then got totally stuck till I used the blog for 7a & then it all thanfully fell into place. I loved 21 & 22d.

16. TimCypher
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Heh, I’ll add mine to the chorus of voices who also appreciated the Bagpuss-connection. When I saw ‘woodpecker’ and a double-f inferred from the clue, I smiled thinking…’surely not?!’ :)
    All good stuff!