Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ****

Today Ray T has given us a puzzle that is somewhat on the easy side. If you usually find his puzzles too hard, then give this one a go.

1a    Second couple hugging little darling (7)
{ SWEETIE } – put S(econd) and a word meaning to couple or fasten around a Scottish word for small to get this little darling

5a    Cover up leak (7)
{ SECRETE } – a double definition – to cover up or conceal and to leak or ooze

9a    It’s not a radio broadcast, love (9)
{ ADORATION } – it’s an anagram (broadcast) of NOT A RADIO that results in a word meaning love or devotion

10a    Lincoln popularly tackling American exploitation (5)
{ ABUSE } – put how President Lincoln was popularly known around (tackling) a two-letter abbreviation for American to get this exploitation

11a    Spades and bucket turned over for games (5)
{ MEETS } – a charade of S(pades) and a verb meaning to bucket with rain is reversed (turned over) to get these games or events

12a    Bright tail of parrot fish catching glint (9)
{ TWINKLING } – a word meaning bright or sparkling is created by putting T (tail of parro T ) and Crosswordland’s favourite fish around (catching) a glint or flicker

13a    Spend penny with one small drink consumed (9)
{ DISSIPATE } – a word meaning to send or squander is a charade of the abbreviation for an old penny, I (one), S(mall), a verb meaning to drink and a word meaning consumed

16a    Pity the woman embracing a male (5)
{ SHAME } – a word meaning pity or disappointment is derived by putting the female pronoun around A (from the clue) and M(ale)

17a    Stop giving cold comfort (5)
{ CEASE } – a word meaning to stop is a charade of C(old) and comfort or peace

18a    Battery trouble in main road (9)
{ ARTILLERY } – to get this battery of heavy guns put a trouble inside a main road or channel of communication

20a    Short stories one’s acted out (9)
{ ANECDOTES } – these short stories come from an anagram (out) of ONE’S ACTED

23a    Raises chickens? (5)
{ COCKS } – a double definition – raises or tilts up and male chickens

25a    Walk around lake house? (5)
{ PLACE } – put a word meaning to walk slowly and with a measured tread around L(ake) to get a house or building

26a    Undoing corset, I…I’m getting sexual interest! (9)
{ EROTICISM } – an anagram (undoing) of CORSET I I’M gives a word meaning sexual interest or desire

27a    Got up and got ready? (7)
{ DRESSED } – a double definition – put clothes on in the morning and prepared, as in prepared a crab ready for eating

28a    Smuggled bag comprising loot (7)
{ RANSACK } – a verb meaning smuggled is followed by a bag to get a verb meaning to loot

1d           Overacted after start of show’s put on (7)
{ SHAMMED } – put a verb meaning overacted after S (start of S how) to get a word meaning put on or pretended

2d           Call up first woman receiving fine (5)
{ EVOKE } – to get a word meaning to call up or awaken memories put Adam’s partner around a word meaning fine or all right

3d           Partner is getting changed to come out (9)
{ TRANSPIRE } – an anagram (getting changed) of PARTNER IS gives a word meaning to come out or become known

4d           Work turned up by English author (5)
{ ELIOT } – reverse (turned up, as this is a down clue) a word meaning work after (by) E(nglish) to get the author of Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats

5d           In dissent, I mentioned opinion (9)
{ SENTIMENT } – hidden inside the middle three words of the clue is an opinion or thought

6d           Shatter cold frame (5)
{ CRACK } – a word meaning to shatter or break is a charade of C(old) and a frame or shelf

7d           Explain clue with detail endlessly broken down (9)
{ ELUCIDATE } – a word meaning to explain is an anagram (broken down) of CLUE with DETAI(L) without its final letter endlessly )

8d           Record by Queen, gone, missing old centrepiece (7)
{ EPERGNE } – an Extended Play record is followed by HM The Queen and G(O)NE without the O (missing Old) to get a branched ornamental centrepiece for a table

14d         Impasse with tired wife (9)
{ STALEMATE } – this impasse, often encountered in chess, is a charade of synonyms for tired and mate

15d         A policy initially, terrible hatred consuming one (9)
{ APARTHEID } – in this all-in-one clue A (from the clue) with P ( P olicy initially) and an anagram (terrible) of HATRED placed around (consuming) I (one) gives a policy of segregation and separate development, especially as formerly practised in South Africa

16d         Department carrying the French range (9)
{ SELECTION } – put a department around the French definite article to get a range or assortment

17d         Man on exercise dead sore (7)
{ CHAPPED } – a charade of a colloquial word for a man, Physical Exercise and D(ead) gives a word meaning sore, as in sore lips

19d         Talk about a quiet maiden’s veil (7)
{ YASHMAK } – put a word meaning persistent talk around A and an exhortation to keep quiet to get a double veil worn by some Muslim women in public

21d         Doctor’s holding for example, remains (5)
{ DREGS } – put the abbreviation of doctor and the S from ‘S around (holding) the abbreviation of “for example” in Latin to get these remains

22d         Clubs in ‘tart search’ (5)
{ SCOUR } – put C(lubs) inside a word meaning tart or sharp tp get a verb meaning to search

24d         Porcelain from French, in alabaster (5)
{ CHINA } – this porcelain is hidden inside the last three words of the clue

It’s time to go back to assembling the wardrobes – nearly finished!.

The Quick crossword pun { posture } + { mostly } = { posthumously }

1. Posted June 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I certainly found this on the easier side of RayT’s puzzles (my online solving time was increased by a longish phone call and a cryptic ‘error 0′ when trying to submit.
    Some highly amusing clues plus some super definitions, 26a and 9a being examples thereof. Thanks to Ray and to BD.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

With this new-fangled posting I keep forgetting to click the email notification!

• Qix
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I had errors trying to submit both this and the Toughie; I think that someone forgot to wind up the clockwork computers they use at the site.

• bakesi
          Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

it has taken me 10 minutes to submit my entry today….I’m use to a few hiccups but this is ridiculous so I’m glad to read it’s not just me!

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I had problems too – it took nearly as long to submit as to do…. I really think the hamsters need some more food.

Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

An enjoyable, gentle puzzle from RayT. Favourite clue, the all-in-one 15d.
    Thanks to RayT, and to BD for the review.

3. Skempie
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

very enjoyable puzzle today – goes to disprove my theory from yesterday that the crosswords are getting easier as the week progresses, but overall not too difficult. Some very fine clues including 5A, 11A and 2D and I would love my favourite to be 18A (very, very nice clue) but I have to say that in fact my favourite is 26A just because.

4. Seemore
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Great, all done again with no probs, so thank you to Ray for an enjoyable morning queuing in banks and building societies. I did solve Ray’s rather cheeky 26a while in one of said queues, so the rest of them must have been wondering why this mad woman was grinning like a looney at the crossword…….by the by, being non techno minded – can anyone tell me how I can change my little picture. The old man may wish that I would shut up sometimes, but I have never (and never intend to) worn a monocle!

• Jezza
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

To change your avatar, I believe you need a WordPress account – see FAQ at top of the page.

• Seemore
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Thanks Jezza…so that’s what it’s called! I will give it a go.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Or you can open an account at gravatar.com and register your email address there – it’s a bit easier.

• Skempie
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I tried that, but my image didn’t come through (am trying it again just to see), the image I have at the moment seems to have come through from my Facebook profile.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

If you are using your facebook account, clicking on your name would take you to your facebook page.

BD

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Likewise for Twitter!

5. mary
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Morning Dave, yes I agree one of Ray Ts easier puzzles but still a 2/3* for me I’m afraid, didn’t like some of the clue constructs much, but a nice no of anagrams to help find a way into the puzzle, no fav clue today I’m afraid :-) Thanks for the review

6. Prolixic
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword – had plenty of time to solve this waiting for non-existent trains into Waterloo this morning. A combination of a lorry shedding its load and a fatality further down the line conspired to keep me on the station for nearly an hour. Also managed to finish the Toughie by Shamus by the time I staggered into the office very late.

Favourite clues were 15d and 26a. Thanks to Ray T for the crossword and to Big D for the review. No thanks to South West Trains!

7. Qix
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

The easiest Ray T for quite a while. I bet he had a lot of fun writing the clues for this one!

I’d defy even Barrie not to enjoy this.

8. Roland
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Yes, very straightforward but enjoyable nonetheless. No particular problem or favourite. Thanks to Ray T and BD.

9. Digby
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Might not have spotted this as a Ray T had it not been for the single-word clues in the Quickie, and the splendid 26a and 22d. Maybe he was having pity on our CC and JOOCC members when he compiled this one? TVM to him and BD

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Digby, the Queen clue at 8d ought to be a giveaway too!

• Digby
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Ah yes – was Ray T in the band, or just a Groupie?

• David Baudains
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

are you rds?

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog David

• Digby
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Certainly am, Wings! Big Dave – would you send DB my email details please? We were in the Fleet Air Arm together. Perhaps you should start a Reunion Club on the blog!?

10. Mike in Amble
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Not sure if I’m doing this correctly but here goes..I liked this puzzle from Ray T. Some amusing moments.. esp. 14d. :) 8d was last in but my Chambers convinced me I had the right word. It’s good to learn new words. Thanks setter and BD

11. Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I am getting better at spotting setters – either that or because it was a cheeky Ray T, it was very obvious today. Great fun. Not to difficult but lots of smiles.

The Shamus Toughie is worth a go too.

Is anyone else suffering from squashed avatar syndrome below this box under this new system? My flowers are fine at home but at work they are squashed to a thin coloured line! I think it must be different versions of Internet Explorer or some other technological pecularity.

• Roland
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

My avatar seems remarkably robust Sue. I don’t know if it’s relevant but I ‘m using Firefox.

• Skempie
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Seems OK through Chrome too. One handy thing about the avatar below is that if you right-click it and select ‘open in another tab’ you can find out where it is stored (ie gravater).

12. joe9tee
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

The week seems to get easier, so maybe I will solve a Friday one for a change, without resorting to tips. Satisfying whilst not over challenging.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Your comment had to be moderated because you changed the spelling of your handle. Either should work from now on.

• joe9tee
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I have now set up a wp account hence the change off handle as Joe90 was already taken. Hope this works now and also includes my avatar.

13. Roland
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I just read the hints B.Dave and I had a slightly different interpretation of 12a. I read it as T followed by a single word meaning “fish catching”. Same result of course, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

If that were the case, Roland then GLINT would be superfluous to the clue. I considered it myself for a moment.

• Roland
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Yes, of course you’re right – or it could be repetition of the meaning since GLINT and BRIGHT could both mean the answer given. Thanks Gnomey (if I can call you that!)

14. Xerses
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks to BD and to ray T I’m in the majority here thinking this was definitely gentle for a Thursday, 26a 15d and 22d were my favourites

15. upthecreek
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to RayT for another great puzzle. I really enjoy his clues and I have a giggle all the way through. Too many good clues to pick one out. Thanks also BD for the help in logging in.

16. BigBoab
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to RayT and BD, a fairly straightforward but quite enjoyable puzzle today.

17. Drongo
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Another 5 stars for enjoyment today! Liked 26a and 22d had a good chuckle!

18. pommers
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Well I think it’s been a pretty good week so far! I’ve enjoyed all 4 and am looking forward to tomorrow’s Giovanni !
    This was definately on the easy side for a RayT and with 5 nine letter anagrams, plus a shorter one, it easily yielded a whole load of checkers. 8d was a new word for me but fairly obvious from the clue – pommette had heard of it so I didn’t need the dictionary!
    Many thanks to RayT and BD.

19. Franny
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

A very good puzzle today. I find I enjoy Ray T’s offerings more each time — and I used to find him impossible! Lots of excellent, smile-raising clues, though my feminist hackles rose a little at 14d. I spent some time puzzling over 8d trying to fit an ‘l’ (old centrepiece) somewhere, but got there in the end. Favourites were 15 and 19d, but my winner today is 26a. Will there be a picture? So, many thanks to Ray T and to Big Dave. I’m awaiting the explanation for 22d, which was last in.
    :-)

• Jezza
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

22d – C(lubs) goes inside a synonym for ‘tart’, as in bitter, to give a word meaning ‘search’

• Digby
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Franny, The answer is a word for a search (you also do it to saucepans!). C(lubs) inside a word a word for a lemony kind of taste.

Posted June 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Great crossword, as always from Ray T – I always look forward to, and especially like, his “rude” clues!! :grin: No prizes going to anyone for spotting the clue today. I liked 1, 18 and 23a and 1, 6, 8 and 14d. Best of all 26a. Thanks to Ray T and BD.

Posted June 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

PS Think that I must be particularly dim today – can’t do 16d in quickie – not terribly sure about 17a so maybe that’s the problem.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

You’ve got mail!

I’ve emailed you with the answers

Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks all – no wonder I couldn’t do 16d (quickie) – had 17a as “internal” – KNEW there was something wrong somewhere! :oops:

• Digby
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Kath, The crossing letter is “G” if I’ve got it right.

• AlisonS
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I was having the same blind spot, so thank you for the letter Digby – got them now! :-)

22. Spindrift
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

As it seemed to be the order of the day to change one’s avatar I thought it would be only polite to do so…. thanks to BD for the link . Now on with the more pressing business of the day the crossword itself!

Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks to BD & Ray T, a very entertaining puzzle. Must agree with He’s assessment that it was quite easy for a Ray T. Favourite clues were 8d and 26 across. Got stuck on 13a even though I was only 2 letters short, having got the fishy end, didn’t suss wink was a synonym for glint. Still enjoyed it though.

24. AtH1900
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

8d required a check in the dictionary to confirm the answer. 11a was a ‘duh’ moment once the ‘rain’ meaning of ‘buckets’ was triggered by looking out at a downpour. Something of a DI Barnaby moment!

• mary
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave although my comments get posted on the blog, they remain in the comment box, any known reason for this, anybody else?

• mary
        Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Now just to prove me wrong the last one didn’t!

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Mary its happening to me too – gee isn’t this a wonderful new feature.

Posted June 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

This happened to me too, Mary, the first day of this “new-fangled stuff” and then it stopped but did it again today.

Posted June 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

… and it’s just done it again – had to delete what I wrote a few minutes ago to write this. Is someone trying to tell me something or am I either being dim or doing something wrong? :smile:

25. AlisonS
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Pleasant little puzzle today – thanks Ray. I’d never heard of 8d, but worked it out after first taking the middle of old away from ‘late’ and then realising I had no definition left! Also couldn’t work out why 11a was what it was, so thanks for the hint BD. I also thought 12a meant glint, but couldn’t work out what wink had to do with parrot – apart from that, it worked! And 14d made me smile.

I didn’t get time to post yesterday, but I just wanted to say, Pommers, how much I enjoyed yesterday’s review – loved your asides! :-)

(This reply box is doing very strange things with my text – hope it comes out alright!)

• pommers
      Posted June 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you AlisonS – one aims to please (and it’s me again next week).

%d bloggers like this: