Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ***/****Enjoyment ****

Thursdays without Ray T can sometimes be very dull, but not today. We have an excellent replacement which I really enjoyed. I have been persuaded by Crypticsue to increase my original difficulty rating, so I’ll be interested to know what you think!

7a    Create something different with cold celery soup (7)
{RECYCLE} – a verb meaning to create something different from previously used material is an anagram (soup) of C(old) CELERY

8a    In the Arctic a ‘rib’ ought to be carved reindeer (7)
{CARIBOU} – hidden (to be carved?) inside the clue is a type of North American reindeer

10a    Cheaply produced lace? (10)
{SHOESTRING} – cheap items can be described as produced on this – it’s also a lace to fasten footwear

11a    Limit of flying leap (4)
{PALE} – to go beyond this is intolerable or exceeding a limit – it’s an anagram (flying)of LEAP

12a    Aura of change embracing sleeveless dress (8)
{PRESENCE} – this aura is created by putting the small change in your pocket around a sleeveless (d)RES(s)

14a and 15a    ‘Road To Hell’ — with Rea a gig’s nicely raw (6,11)
{SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY} – this road is a cleverly worked anagram (to hell with) of REA A GIG’S NICELY RAW – for those who don’t know, “Road to Hell” is a track by Chris Rea that many think suitably describes the M25 (which is not the type of road in the answer!)

15a    See 14a

19a    Car breaker? (6)
{ROLLER} – a double definition – a slang name for a make of posh car or a breaker loved by surfers

20a    Odd-jobber’s hinges tip and many back-to-front (8)
{HANDYMAN} – this odd-jobber is a charade of H (Hinges tip), AND and MANY with its last letter moved to the front (back-to-front)

22a    Sit-in starts to disrupt every mundane operation (4)
{DEMO} – this sit-in protest comes from the initial letters of (starts to) the last four words in the clue

23a    Ghastly new craft from stem to stern (10)
{LENGTHWAYS} – an anagram (craft) of GHASTLY NEW gives a word meaning from stem to stern

25a    Former wife hacks organ? (7)
{EXPRESS} – a charade of a former wife and hacks or journalists collectively gives the name of a newspaper (organ)

Thanks to Qix for pointing out the surface reading!

26a    Condemn navy involvement in botched rescue (7)
{CENSURE} – a word meaning to condemn or reprehend is created by putting N(avy) inside an anagram (botched) of RESCUE

1d    Desire hot instead of cold 7 soup (7)
{LECHERY} – to get this lustful desire you need an anagram (soup) of the answer to 7 across after H(ot) replaces a C(old) – the anagram indicator as well as the answer were borrowed from 7 across!

2d    Purchaser announced for cowshed (4)
{BYRE} – a word that sounds like (announced) a purchaser is actually a cowshed

3d    Gorge on nearly all of end product of wheat (6)
{GLUTEN} – a charade of a verb meaning to gorge or overfeed and nearly all of EN(d) gives a nitrogenous part of the flour of wheat

4d    Magnanimous spirit of Samaritans’ opening report (8)
{LARGESSE} – this magnanimous spirit sounds like (report) a description of the first letter (opening) of Samaritans

5d    Pharmacy’s daily record with entry for ‘shilling quills’ (10)
{DISPENSARY} – another name for a pharmacy is created by putting a daily record of events around (with entry) S(hilling) and quills, as in writing implements

6d    Lowly Dr Batty devoted to this life and its enjoyments (7)
{WORLDLY} – an anagram (batty) of LOWLY DR gives an adjective meaning devoted to this life and its enjoyments

9d    Futuristic transport came back in a new version of the Mini (4,7)
{TIME MACHINE} – a futuristic transport that is the subject of a science-fiction novel by HG Wells is derived by reversing (back) CAME inside an anagram (new version) of THE MINI

13d    One or two maybe are late (5,5)
{SMALL HOURS} – one or two refer to times after midnight that are late for some and early for others!

16d    Rail absurdly against son getting into bizarre country ways (8)
{RURALISM} – put an anagram (absurdly) of RAIL together with S(on) inside (getting into) a word meaning bizarre to get these country ways or lifestyle

17d    Strike triumphant expression during ‘Peace on Earth’ (7)
{POLEAXE} – a word meaning to strike or knock down is created by putting a triumphant expression uttered by a matador inside the Latin for peace and then adding E(arth)

18d    Grease protects any rope (7)
{LANYARD} – put this grease or clarified fat around (protects) ANY to get a short rope used as a fastening (or a cord for hanging a knife, whistle, etc. around the neck)

21d    Get Man U missing a shot with cheeky trick (6)
{NUTMEG} – an anagram (shot) of GET M(A)N U without (missing) the A gives a cheeky trick in which a football is kicked through the legs of an opposing player

24d    Free from impurities? What’s the odds? (4)
{WASH} – a word meaning to free from impurities comes from the odd letters of WhAt’S tHe

More like this, please!

The Quick crossword pun: (myrrh} + {fizz} + {lore} = (Murphy’s Law}

1. boltonbabs
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Really struggled with this one. For some reason just could not get 10a.

2. Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I would have given it 4 stars – I think I solved the Toughie faster. Very good puzzle that I had to work hard to get into and even harder to finish, even then buying a couple of letters for the 19a/13d finish (then kicking myself suitably!.
    Thanks to the setter and BD.

3. Skempie
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I was almost panicking today – after first run through,a came together although 17D gave me a fair bit of difficulty (required another cup of coffee for this one). Thoroughly enjoyed 7A, 14/15A, 25A, 1D, 9D, 18D, 24D and my favourite was 13D.

The weather continues fine in Zummerzet which means more gardening :( ho hum.

4. Qix
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle, with some excellent and creative clueing.

I think that 4 stars for difficulty would be too harsh, but 4 for enjoyment might also be a little harsh.

Among many good clues, my favourite was 25A; ouch!

5. Prolixic
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Definately a **** for me. This was tougher than today’s Warbler Toughie with more complex wordplay that you would normally find in the Toughie series. Is our setter a refugee from there?

All very enjoyable and creative. Favourite clue was 25a.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve found this one really hard – hugely relieved when I saw that it was at least verging on 4* for difficulty. I was completely defeated by 17d – couldn’t even think of a word that would fit let alone one that would fit with the clue as well – not helped by having made 19a ‘dealer’ even though I was pretty sure it wasn’t. Also started off by making 13d ‘early hours’ – oh dear – perhaps not my finest crossword day (me, not the crossword!) I didn’t know the football meaning of 21d. Having said all that I enjoyed the struggle!! I particularly liked the 7a/1d tangle and also 14/15a, and 25a, 4d (needed the hint to understand why) 6d and 16d.
    With thanks to the mystery setter and to Big Dave for the, yet again, very much needed explanations.

• Addicted
      Posted April 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath – I did exactly the same for 19a – also needed BD for quite a lot of hints and explanations! Must say, I loved 4d – I got it but couldn’t think why – one of those “doh” moments, I believe they are known on the blog? This one put me back in my box having managed to get to Thursday without any hints!!! Such is the way of the DT Xword week. Also agree on 21d – got the answer and then had to do a search for the explanation. But then, afraid I’m not into football – as far as I’m concerned, 21d is a spice! Didn’t particularly like 16d. But did like 10a. Also relieved when I saw the difficulty rating!

Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Great (?) minds obviously think alike – agree with everything! :smile:

• Lostboy
      Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I just could NOT get 17D.
      I tried to re solve 25a about 5 times, even though I’d got it right!

More proof of Lostboy’s first law of Physics- there is always one clue I can’t solve.

7. Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle by our mystery setter, though the Chris rea clue does drop a subtle hint!

If you are at a loose end, another enjoyable puzzle today in the Guardian by a friend of mine. His debut puzzle!

Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Definitely at the tougher end of cryptic and thanks to BD for his handy hint earlier this morning. It is one of those crosswords that when you look at it later you aren’t really sure why you struggled. Thanks to the mystery setter for the brain training and to BD for the hints.

The “other puzzle” is a much more friendly beast and very entertaining. The Guardian puzzle by Tilsit’s friend is very good too, although you will need to search your memory banks for the themed answers!!

9. Digby
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Can’t agree with the 4* Difficulty Brigade. I found all the clues just gettable without resort to hints, which indicates 3* for me. Shading 4* for Enjoyment, with 1d / 7a, 4d and 6d particularly pleasurable. With thanks to The Gaffer and Ray T’s stand-in. Also enjoyed the Quickie-link.

10. BigBoab
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Super crossword, favourite clue was 13d. Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

11. Roland
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Wow! that was a struggle. Eventually managed to complete it without hints though.
    Favourite clues are many but must include 10a, 12a, 14/15a, 4d, 5d, 13d, and 17d.
    Once I finally figured out the Chris Rea anagram, the rest started to fall in to place. Thanks to the setter and to BD.

12. CS
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

far too obscure

Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Took a little while to get into, but enjoyable. I’d never heard of the definition in 21d, nor was it in my dictionary, although it had to be the answer.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

From Chambers:

Nutmeg – To pass or kick the ball through the legs of (an opposing player)

• Jezza
        Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I must get around to buying Chambers, although I might wait for the next edition.

• Franco
          Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

When players from Barcelona and Real Madrid are “nutmegged”, they seem to fall to ground, roll over a few times and then hold their heads in agony as if they have been “poleaxed”.

14. jaycat
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Oh- a little too difficult for me today would never have got some without hints…thanks to BD and setter

15. pommers
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Back in Spain at last where the weather has improved. The last 2 weeks it’s been better in the UK so I think we chose the right fortnight to visit friends and aged parents.
    Going by solving time this must be a 4* for me but very enjoyable as the pennies eventually dropped. Many clues worthy of a Toughie IMO!
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints which I was on the verge of resorting to.

16. JB
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Another day when the Toughie was easier. 21d was a stinker. Got it but didn’t know why. Who complained about cricket terms? Football is even more of a closed book!

17. Franco
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle today! Unlike others I found it easy to get started, but then I stalled and needed the hints and tips for the last 3 for me – 10a, 4d and 13d which became my favourites!

Liked the Quickie Pun! Also liked “To Hell – with…” as an anagram indicator! Qix’s comment on 25a – too painful!

Are you sure it’s not Ray T – apart from a few clues that don’t have single word solutions? Is it “insider-information”?

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

The “insider information” is found in the Quick crossword. Only once has a Ray T Quick crossword had a clue of more than one word and I’m sure that was a result of editorial meddling.

A few of todays quick clues:

Aromatic resin (5)
      Rousing bugle-call (8)
      Women’s headgear (9)
      Venomous snake (3)
      Explain the meaning of (9)
      Long-standing family servant (8)
      Cut short (4)
      White wine (8)
      Wading bird (5)
      Turn over (4)
      Define precisely (8)
      Eagle’s nest (5)
      Unsophisticated musical improvisation (4)

Enough said!

• Franco
        Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you! A bit confused by one-word clues and one-word answers! :oops:

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

You get mainly one-word answers in both puzzles as well, but it’s the clues in the Quick crossword that are the big giveaway, which is why I always do the Quick puzzle first on a Thursday.

18. pommette
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Home again! Nice to get a good night’s sleep in my own bed.
    As pommers said, were on the verge of looking at the hints when we finally got 13d & 17d.
    Got the anagram for 14a and 15a but could not spot the indicator! Think I might just have to go and get the CD out!
    Don’t think the brain is functioning properly (been poorly – nasty tooth ancess – why is it I always have tooth problems when away from my dentist?).
    Thanks to the mysteron and BD

19. Pete
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I must have been on the right wavelength for this one. I agree that it required a bit more thought than some but certainly not a 4* offering. I would give it 4* for enjoyment though.
    Many thanks to the setter for this one and Big Dave for the hints which I am very pleased to say were not required.

20. lizwhiz1
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Started so well.. but the bottom half was impossible without your help! So many thanks! would definiitely never have got 17d!

21. Chris
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Finally a crossword in the last 3 weeks where we’ve heard of all the words apart from one. My girlfriend didn’t know what a nutmeg was but I soon showed her.

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Chris – the surplus “i” in your email address caused you to require moderation.

22. AnnB
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Excellent . Although took break to do some baking now all Ok & my hubby just loved the Chris Rea track one of his favs ! Think he’s watched the video 3times now.
    thanks to all

23. Anncantab
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Found this quite difficult, and still don’t really understand the wordplay for 25a : is a newspaper known as an organ ? Also had no idea that 21a was anything to do with football.
    Loved 11a, remembering beyond the pale in Dublin.

Thanks for the hints which were certainly necessary to finish today.

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

From Chambers
      Organ – A means of communicating information or opinions, eg a newspaper

Nice to see your avatar has returned!

24. Anncantab
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the explanation, yes, I was glad to see it rather than the very unflattering picture recently.

25. paolors
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Excellent crossword, right up there with the Thursday master. tough but all the better for that. prob 4* for me but got there. favourites were 10 12 23a and 1 5 9 and 13d and a few others.

26. Shrike1313
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

No Mary today? I imagine her camping outside Westminster…
    Very impressed with the wordplay today – 9d was a good example. Many thanks to the setter and to BD for the clues

27. Derek
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

A jolly good and somewhat harder crossword from Ray T – many thanks. I solved it in spasms as was watching the snooker at The Crucible.
    I liked the 7a & 1d clues also 10a, 12a, the 14a/15a combo, 23a, 25a, 3d, 4d, 9d & 21d.

Solved yesterday’s cryptic as well (yesterday) but did not comment as was occupied seeing The Wizard knock out The Rocket!

Tomorrow it will be difficult to concentrate on The Don’s fare as must see the Royal Wedding and keep up with the boys on the baize.

Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Derek,
      Do you think we’ll get a themed puzzle tomorrow (wedding not snooker!) ?
      By the way, today’s is not one of Ray T’s.

• Qix
        Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I hope for a non-themed puzzle, but fear that I may be disappointed. Probably more than once.

• Qix
          Posted April 29, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

• Qix
            Posted April 29, 2011 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Twice.

• Derek
      Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

1. Correction – I see it is a mystery setter not Ray T!
      2. Thanks BD for the Chris Rea music “Road to Hell” – just played it.

28. Ainsley
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Too difficult

Posted April 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Dare I ask who will be glued to the ‘box’ all day tomorrow – who will definitely NOT be – and, finally, who will watch bits of ‘it’ while doing other things, perhaps even the crossword? I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I’m in the third category. My husband will be working all day so we (myself and the four legged hairy one) are going to join friends for a late breakfast and will probably start watching at about 10.30am for a couple of hours or so. Hope that everyone has a good day.

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Mrs BD will be watching, so I will have to leave the room to avoid it!

• Qix
        Posted April 29, 2011 at 12:02 am | Permalink

It’s at times like this when the test card is sorely missed.

Never mind, I believe that there’s a repeat of “mushroom with a hint of beige” on The Paint-Drying Channel.

• Libellule
      Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

The TV will be firmly switched off at chez Libellule. We have some friends coming over to see us. They escaped from the UK to France for the week just to avoid the Royal Wedding :-)

• Jezza
      Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I can sit through anything if suitably anaesthetised :)

• Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

I have managed to secuse a round of golf at the eleventh hour (actually for 9:48) so will manage to avoid the majority.

• mary
        Posted April 29, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I will be doing the crossword may take a peek just to see the dress :-)

Posted April 29, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I am watching – my excuse is that my husband’s niece is in the congregation so I have got to spot her!!

30. Ainsley
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Definitely not me – anything but!

31. mary
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Did finish this yesterday eventually with lots of perservating and help, can’t say I disliked it we have had worse, I actually preferred it to Wednesdays! put ‘banger’ at 19a at first even though I knew it wasn’t quite right! so SW corner last in!! How does ‘nutmeg’ come to mean that I wonder!! mind boggles :-)