Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

This week it’s the turn of our mystery setter. Let us know your opinion of the puzzle in a comment.
If you want to see an answer slide your cursor through the space between the brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

1a  Signora upset after loss of one garment (6)
{SARONG} – remove the I (loss of one) from S(i)GNORA and an anagram (upset) of what’s left will produce a garment.

5a  Small missile making a loud sound (8)
{STRIDENT} – an adjective meaning loud and harsh is made from S(mall) and one of our submarine-based nuclear missiles.

9a  What judge should always be, as a precaution (4,2,4)
{JUST IN CASE} – a phrase meaning as a precaution could literally be a description of what a fair-minded judge is.

10a  Every fruit doesn’t need peeling initially (4)
{EACH} – remove the initial P(eeling) from a fruit to leave an adjective meaning every.

11a  Tries once more, by end of stage, to practise (8)
{REHEARSE} – what our fair-minded judge from 9a does if a trial collapses and has to be re-started is followed by the last letter (end) of (stag)E to make a verb meaning to practise.

12a  Something that infuriates communist newspaper (3,3)
{RED RAG} – something that traditionally is supposed to infuriate a bull could also be a tabloid newspaper with communist sympathies.

13a  Plan best left forgotten (4)
{IDEA} – start with an adjective meaning best or perfect and remove the L (left forgotten) to leave a plan.

15a  Chief one in group points out joint (8)
{FLAGSHIP} – a word derived from the navy, where it means the chief vessel in a fleet, has come to mean the most important amongst a number of things (often used to describe a government’s principal policy). It’s a charade of a verb meaning points out or marks for attention and a joint in the body.

18a  Do tests on ferret (8)
{RESEARCH} – a verb meaning to carry out tests is constructed from a preposition meaning on or concerning followed by a verb meaning to rummage or ferret.

19a  Port, unopened, settled (4)
{OVER} – a port in the South-East of England loses its first letter (unopened).

21a  Harm one married couple (6)
{IMPAIR} – a verb meaning to harm is built from I (one), M(arried) and a couple.

23a  A Parisian lad’s first to confront horrid criminal (8)
{UNLAWFUL} – the definition is criminal, as an adjective. It’s a charade of an indefinite article in Paris (i.e. French), the first letter of L(ad) and a synonym for horrid.

25a  My turn — be quiet (4)
{GOSH} – this is one of those interjections expressing surprise, such as my!, cor! or lummy! Start with a turn, in a board game for example, and add an injunction to keep quiet.

26a  Pieces of advice given by escorts about crocodile (10)
{GUIDELINES} – crocodile here is a procession of schoolchildren. Put a synonym for escorts around it to make pieces of advice.

27a  Nurse got boiled fish (8)
{STURGEON} – an anagram (boiled) of NURSE GOT.

28a  Hear about side with it (6)
{TRENDY} – the definition is “with it”. Put a verb meaning to hear (it’s that fair-minded judge again) around one of the sides in a football ground, say.

Down Clues

2d  A stroke to the offside, over point, is shrewd (5)
{ACUTE} – start with A then add a cricket stroke to the offside of the wicket (we had the “square” variety of this stroke in the Saturday puzzle a couple of weeks ago). Finally add one of the cardinal points of the compass to make an adjective meaning shrewd or perceptive.

3d  Looking for a sexual partner, taken home frustrated (2,3,4)
{ON THE MAKE} – an informal phrase meaning looking for a sexual partner is an anagram (frustrated) of TAKEN HOME. An amusing choice of anagram indicator!

4d  Information on tax for upper classes (6)
{GENTRY} – the upper-classes (but not as far up as the nobility) is a slang term for information followed by (on, in a down clue) a verb meaning to tax or impose demands on.

5d  Annual assessment by Relate? (5,2,3,5)
{STATE OF THE UNION} – this is a formal annual speech by the US president to a joint session of Congress, normally delivered in January. Cryptically it could also be how a counsellor at Relate assesses the marriage of a couple seeking advice on their relationship.

6d  Baker’s product condemned by reader (8)
{RYEBREAD} – somewhat to my surprise Chambers does have this product as a single word though other dictionaries show it as (3,5). It’s an anagram (condemned) of BY READER.

7d  Great fear about being caught by father (5)
{DREAD} – put a preposition meaning about or concerning inside (caught by) a familiar word for father.

8d  Fruit drink that’s delicious in the East (9)
{NECTARINE} – a delicious drink that is so good that it’s the favourite of the gods is followed by IN and E(ast) to make a fruit.

14d  Very attractive man met abroad at sea (9)
{DREAMBOAT} – This is an anagram (at sea) of MET ABROAD. It means a very attractive man and it’s only been around since the 1950s. Its use probably started with the release of a film with this name in which Clifton Webb played a conservative professor-type whose students discovered that he was at one time a romantic leading man in the silent films. Girls in the audience were apparently quite taken with him, which led to the name being applied to any very attractive man. Here’s a picture of Clifton Webb so that ladies can judge for themselves:

16d  Beautiful princess whose twin’s ugly (4,5)
{SNOW WHITE} – this beautiful fairy tale princess is an anagram (ugly) of WHOSE TWIN.

17d  Put off supporting scoundrel (8)
{PROROGUE} – this verb means to put off (it’s often used to suspend the deliberations of a council or parliament). It’s a charade of a preposition meaning supporting or in favour of followed by a synonym for scoundrel.

20d  Patron’s legal right to appear in court (6)
{CLIENT} – a word meaning a legal right over a piece of property goes inside (to appear in) the abbreviation of court.

22d  Detest gaudy bar small house installed (5)
{ABHOR} – put the abbreviation (small) of house inside (installed) an anagram (gaudy) of BAR to make a verb meaning to detest.

24d  Knock over revolting object (2-3)
{UP-END} – a verb meaning to knock over is a charade of an adverb meaning rebelling or in revolt and an object or goal.

I liked 26a and 4d today, but my favourite clue (because it made me laugh) was 3d. Let us know what you liked in a comment.
The pun in today’s Quickie is {TRAY} + {SURREY} = {TRACERY}.

1. Nubian
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

15a had me going for a while and took longer than all the clues put together, almost. I feel very embarrassed being ex Royal Navy I should have got it earlier.
    Never mind, a good Tuesday puzzle, thanks to Gazza and the Mysteron

Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

A pleasant enough puzzle, with nothing too contentious.
    No particular favourite for me; thanks to setter, and to gazza for the notes.

3. pommers
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one and agree 2* apart from 15a which was my last in. A real D’oh moment when the penny dropped!
    I take it that this isn’t a Rufus as it isn’t a pangram?
    I think favourite is 3 down as it’s a quite well concealed anagram. Always thought 6d was two words (3,5) but no doubt it’s in Chambers as one.
    Anyway thanks to the setter and Gazza.

• Jezza
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:12 am | Permalink

15a was my last one in too.

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

The setter who produces a lot of pangrammatic puzzles is Shamus, not Rufus.

• pommers
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Of course.and I haven’t been on the wine yet!
        Had Rufus on the brain because of your birthday greeting at the top of the page! Many happy returns to him.

Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I think you mean Shamus. As you say it’s not a pangram and he now seems to be on a fortnightly schedule, so I don’t think it’s one of his. Doubtless he’ll let us know if I’m wrong!

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

We can never be 100% certain unless the setter owns up!

• Shamus
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I can confirm that it’s NOT one of mine. Although happy to be known as a purveyor of pangrams, I’m not always pangrammatic!

4. MIKEINAMBLE
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Enjoyed very much today’s cryptic. Watching the cricket at the same time though does nothing for my powers of concentration. Got there in the end though. 6d held me up because I got a crazy notion of breadery into my head.

5. Werm
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I know everybody found yesterday on the easy side but I found it quite tricky. This on the other hand I found very easy. Horses for courses. I liked 9a and 16d. Thanks to mystery setter, Gazza for the review and the lovely hint for 1a ;-)

6. Roland
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Many thanks Gazza and mystery setter for today’s puzzle. All OK today but I had to look up the answer to 17d to confirm, as I’d never heard of the word before.

7. Nestorius
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

A pleasant diversion during morning coffee. Nothing overly difficult today.
    Last in was 15a.

Some neat wordpay. 9a and 5d brought broad smiles to my face.
    17d was previously unknown to me but it just couldn’t be anything else so I did not even bother to look it up.

Enjoyment: ****, diff: *1/2 (one-and-a-half star)

Thanks to X and Gazza!

8. Wayne
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Managed todays without needing to resort to Hints etc. Got held up in bottom right corner for a while but once 26a solved things moved on nicely. Best clues for me were 15a, 26a and 2d.
    Thanks to Mystery Setter and to Gazza.

9. Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

All fine over here with some amusing clues (as picked out by gazza).
    Thanks to him and to the mystery setter.

10. Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Good puzzle today. SW corner had me stumped for ages until the answer to 26a popped into my head. 19a Took a fair bit of thing about as well.

11. Pete
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Pleasant start to the week, nothing very taxing or to make the blog last the remainder of the day!
    19A my last one in and once the penny drops you are left wondering why.
    Thanks to setter and to Gazza for the hints.

12. Jimbo
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s puzzle. 25a beat me tho and never heard of 17d but confirmed right answer with dictionary. Thanks to compiler and Gazza.

13. Geoff
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Much more than a 2* for me, but got there in the end, though not, alas, without some help from the electronic friends. Good puzzle, hard work, but worth the effort. Have to agree with Gazza on 3d. Also expected 6d to be two words, or hyphenated.

Thanks to setter and Gazza.

Posted February 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

2* for me but I did enjoy the whole solving process with several clues making me smile. Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

I enjoyed the Toughie too – there are a few headscratchers but give it a go.

• Qix
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Agreed about the Toughie.

Mostly very straightforward, but I spent half the time on just three clues, one of which was a new term for me.

Well worth a try for Toughie-phobes.

15. toadson
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Had an an unexpected day off today, so had time to do the crossword. 3 star for me, I think. 15a was also the last one in for me – the clue seems almost too long? And I must confess that I couldn’t do 25a without the hint. See now that ‘my’ is an exclamation. Why do these four letter clues often seem disproportionately difficult? Or maybe they don’t to everybody else? …

• toadson
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Maybe the answer is the limited amount of construction possible?

16. Qix
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

★ – difficulty
    ★★★★ – enjoyment

I liked this one, and enjoyed the smooth reading of 2D.

Thanks to Mr/s X and Gazza.

17. TrickyDicky
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

2 days off and I’m struggling! Not a bad puzzle, some nice clues but my brain wasn’t on the right track for a few of these.

18. Upthecreek
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

We all seemed to be in the same boat with 15a. It was my last and also my favourite. Other good ones were 1 [ it obviously inspired Gazza] 5d 9 18 23 and 26. I think 27 was in one of last week’s also. Congratulations to setter, whoever he or she is. Could do with a harder test so on to the Toughie.

19. BigBoab
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Pleasant if untaxing crossword, thanks to themysteron and to Gazza for the lovely picture and review. Toughie is slightly harder but not much, good though.

20. mary
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Firstly Happy birthday Rufus, was it yesterday?? Late today, started early but had lots to do and got back to it this pm, not a crossword I enjoyed and thought a 3* for me today! no fav clue but quite a few I din’t like, had to have your help for one or two Gazza plus electronic friends! that’ll teach me to go off half way, just can’t get back into it then! Thanks for hints Gazza :)

• mary
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

sorry there was one clue I really like today and that was 25a, as for 28a I didn’t think sides and ends were the same thing although Chambers does give it as a synonym, the Cop end in Anfield is not the side of the ground , it is as the name suggests the end?? and fancy that I got 2d without realising cricket was involved at all :)

• Geoff
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I didn’t like 25a until I read Gazza’s hint.

• Upthecreek
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Re 2d I am impressed! Have you put it in your little book?

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Mary

If Rufus’s birthday was yesterday, why would I put the banner up today, his 79th birthday?

Last year we had a Rufus puzzle on his birthday, but that won’t happen again for a few years.

• mary
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Its just that I opened yesterdays page first today and there was the banner I thought I had missed it!

21. Addicted
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s very much, some clever clues, partic liked 5d. Needed the actual answer for 17d – not a word I’m familiar with either, and needed hints for a couple of others. Thought 28a a tad contrived? All in all not too much head-scratching! Thanks to setter and Gazza.

22. AlisonS
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle and, as yesterday, agreed with the rating. 15a had me scratching my head for far too long as I assumed the definition was just the first word, but at least I wasn’t the only one.
    I liked 9, 25 & 27a, but particularly 26a: I was wondering what on earth a line had to do with a crocodile and then light dawned – made me smile. :)
    Thanks to setter and to Gazza.

23. Cali
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Have just found “Big Dave” and it’s a great help. Needed hint for 17d and 26a. Chuckled when looking at hint for 1a – that’s a very very tiny 1a!!

Posted February 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Cali – welcome to the blog.

24. Spindrift
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Mrs S wears a sarong on holiday but never like the image for 1a – more’s the pity!

• pommers
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Pommette also!

• mary
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Pommers what have you done to yourself? I liked you just the way you were
        :-D

• pommers
          Posted February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary
          Glad to see someone is still awake, I was beginning to get lonely here!

Got myself a WordPress account (well, pommette did) so I can have any avatar l like now. ‘Slowpoke Rodrigues’ from the Speedy Gonzales cartoons seems about right for me – ‘The Slowest mouse in all Mexico!’
          You must have seen it on my occasional post on DIYCOW.

25. Prolixic
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword from Tuesday’s Mysteron. Like many 15a was the last in. Trying different imaginary breaks to separate the wordplay from the definition finally paid off!

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

26. Ainsley
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Hi all – a bit early fir me I know. Finished and just needed hint to confirm 28a – I also was confused with sides and ends. I must ask for opinions on 3d – never heard of this phrase in this context – ** *** pull but not ****? surely this is in a money context? Has anyone used this phrase in this context? When I thought I had the right answer early on it gave the reading of the clue a decidedly dodgy flavour so I knew it must be wrong.

Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Ainsley,
      On the make can mean:
      a) bent upon making great profits; greedy of gain.
      b) seeking higher social status or a higher employment position.
      c) seeking a sexual partner; looking for sexual adventure.

• Ainsley
        Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza but have you used or heard it used in c)?

Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

No. It seems to mean exactly the same as “on the pull” which is much more common.
          One of the slang meanings of “make” as a transitive verb, is, according to Chambers, “To persuade (especially a woman) to have sexual intercourse with one”.

• Ainsley
            Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks again Gazza. I just feel the obscurity of the definition(albeit technically correct) spoilt the clue. Enjoyed it generally though.

• Zofbak
              Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Agree with you Ainsley – even though it could only be “make” from the anagram I could not bring myself to put it in for some time. Thought 25a was a neat little clue. The cricketing accuracy in 2d was also nice – had me thinking about wagon wheels and Bumble.

One for Gazza: is it unusual to have the reverse meanings in the same puzzle – as in try and hear in 11a and 28a?

Thanks to setter for most enjoyable romp and Gazza for nice commentary.

• Ainsley
                Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Zofbak. I liked 2d as well.

• Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I don’t have a problem with ‘On the make’. Maybe it’s a northern term but it’s certainly one I’ve heard many times before. I thought it a cleverly disguised anagram but I was a bit on the slow side this morning. As Gazza siad, ‘frustrated’ was a nicely disguised anagram indicator in the overall wording of the clue!

• Zofbak
                  Posted February 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Yes, nice use of “frustrated” certainly compensated for my hesitancy in filling in “make”.

Being from Liverpool, I definitely remember being “on the pull” but often with the same ending as the clue…..

Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Yes it is unusual. I hadn’t really twigged that it was an exact reversal, though I did notice that several clues related to “the judging” (as Peter Cook called it).

• Zofbak
                  Posted February 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I don’t recall seeing it very often. Continuing the judging theme, I give your 1a hint a 10 by the way.

• pommers
                    Posted February 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

See earlier comment . . . Pommette wears a sarong occasioanly but doesn’t look like that! More’s the pity.

• pommers
                  Posted February 22, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

These pesky setters like their ‘mind games’!

27. Derek
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Not a difficult puzzle this Tuesday.
    I can’t say that there are particularly good clues for me as I solved it quickly and then went back to dousing my left eye with medical drops after cataract removal therefrom. It is not going as well as my right eye although I can see well from it – it is very bloodshot.

• Ainsley
      Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Hope matters improve Derek

28. Drcross
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

A bit more difficult than yesterday -I liked 9 a a lot. I too have never heard of 17 d but it was the only answer that made sense.
    Nice to be able to exercise my little grey cells over something over than work again!

29. Collywobbles
    Posted February 23, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Have you got the telephone number of 1a Gazza?