ST 2565 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2565 (Hints)

Hints and tips from Big Dave

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Friday, 10th December.

1a    Supporters having no right to become such addicts (6)
Take a word meaning supporters or allies, drop the R(having no right) to get these addicts or fanatics

17a    One depends on current supply as source of rock (8,6)
This instrument depends on a supply of current to play rock music

26a    Character fault one’s shown in mile race (8)
A character fault is constructed buy putting I (one) between M(ile) and a race

27a    Queen accepting European vote as constructive addition (6)
Put an eighteenth-century queen around (accepting) E(uropean) and a mark made to register a vote to get a constructive addition to a building

1d    Informative response not going beyond characters in first eleven (8)
An informative response is made up of letters in the range A-K – is there more to this? I looked at not giving the ball to a forward, but can’t quite fit it in

5d    What can be included repeatedly at OU? (5,9)
An all-in-one clue where an anagram (what can be) of INCLUDED AT AT (repeatedly at) OU is described by the whole clue

20d    It can be got from tree, primarily medicinal (6)
This healing ointment is a charade of a tree that produces very light wood and M (primarily Medicinal) and is described by the whole clue

22d    Missing British spy chief at Pentagon, say (5)
A word meaning missing or taken away, when split (1,2,2), could be James Bond’s boss visiting the Pentagon

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Judging by emails from my fellow Advanced CC members and the odd comment about today’s puzzle on yesterday’s page, I might be in the minority today as apart from one and a half clues, I didn’t struggle with this lovely Sunday puzzle. Like BD I was slightly confused by 1d and had a problem with 4a as I was trying to fit two ‘diamonds’ in the answer.

Thank you Virgilius for the lovely crossword which (sorry people) I completed in the usual quick time for a Sunday puzzle. Thanks to BD for the hints too.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

You must be a genius Sue :) I found it really hard today

2. gnomethang
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I can’t get past your explanation for 1d, BD – perhaps not the greatest of clues. Otherwise. Very enjoyable puzzle.
    Thanks to BD and Virgilius.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

with you Gnomey, never heard that for a fanatic or addict!

• Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

That’s 1a Mary, not 1d!

For 1a – look at the second crossword blog in the sidebar widget – it’s that kind of addict.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

oops! ok thanks for all your help :0

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I see it :)

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

A real 4* ‘toughie* for me today, had loads of help, electronic, books, brother, BD, once it was finished it left me wondering why it had taken so long! Tough but clever IMHO not an easy one for CC today!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Fav clue 7d, completely missed the anagram indicator in 5d!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I think 1d is just as you say Dave, not going beyond the ketter K!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

In 1d the second word alone is the answer, so why would we need the first word, if you get my meaning?

• Upthecreek
        Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

What’s the problem? There are only 39,916,800 combinations of A-K.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Now how did you work that one out?? :)

• Upthecreek
            Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Factorial 11

• Peter
              Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

A LOT more than 11 factorial. What about repeated letters? (as in the actual answer)

• Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Peter

118 = 214,358,881

• Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

If they were different letters it would be 11!/(11-8)! = 6,652,800

3. Upthecreek
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

A most enjoyable puzzle today. Fav by far was 4 as it took me ages before i f- sorry worked it out. Loved 14 and 17 and most of the others as well. Come on Mary – what about SSP – it happened in Buxton!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

SSP Buxton, what am I missing here?

• Upthecreek
        Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Snow stopped play. Put it in your cricketing terms. It may come up one day.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Stored for future use!

4. David R
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I seemed to make heavy weather of this. It took a long time to get going but once I had a reasonable number of crossing letters it all fell into place.
    Guessed 1d and didn’t even pick up on the first eleven characters bit and it took me longer to understand 4a than it did to finish the crossword. A definite A-ha moment.
    Overall really enjoyable, though I would say harder than usual.

5. Pommers
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Must be having an off day because I found this quite a bit trickier than recent Sundays! Now the answers are in I wonder what was tricky about it – too much wine yesterday?!
    Still, got there in the end so thanks for a good puzzle Virgilius.
    I,too, cannot see anything else for 1d.

6. mary
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

In 1d, informative could be the definition, response could be the first half of the answer, not going beyond could be the second part, i.e. behind/**** , characters in first eleven means not beyond K ……….. maybe?

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I know, sometimes I am just plain stupid :)

Posted December 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

any football on the telly, think I’ll go and see, ‘laters’ :) !

Posted December 5, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I always find Sunday crosswords harder than the other days, except perhaps Fridays, but for the third time in a row I have at least finished it so am quite pleased. Didn’t understand 1d and to begin with had the wrong four letters at the beginning which made 10a tricky but sorted that out. Also missed the anagram indicator at 5d. Not quite sure that I understand 12a – I think that what I’ve got has to be right but can’t make sense of the first four letters – does it really mean “profit”? Am probably being a bit dim, again! Liked 4, 13,14, and 17a and 3, 8, 9, 15, 18 and 19d – I’m running on again! Actually really enjoyed the whole crossword. Thanks to Virgilius and Big Dave.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

1st 4 letters 12a Kath is a sunonym for profit, personally I would have put an s in it!!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

even a synonym!

• Upthecreek
          Posted December 5, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Not another football question!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

How did football get in here?

8. Nubian
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Well that was a Sunday special, I almost lost the will to live. Had to go into the big city with Mrs N for lunch,Caeser salad with anchovies,I hate anchovies! its like eating lumps of salt. Anyway 12a was in a toughie last week I think, and the rest seemed to fight all the way to the finishing line.
    The Toon got beat 3-1, dinner was not enjoyable and I’m under stoppage of Brandy. I’m sure there is a bottle of blue sapphire kicking about somewhere. I wish the snow would go away as times are now becoming desperate. I am turning into a Royal Naval Officer, is there any Angostura darling ?
    Thanks to Virgilius and Big Dave

Posted December 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

12a was in yesterday’s prize puzzle!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

same answer, different clue :)

9. Digby
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Finally got round to this after a delighful weekend in Kent. I assume that I have plumbed the depths and worked out 4a correctly, but I can’t for the life of me see why. Anyway, thanks for the hints, banter and to our Sunday Setter.

• Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Split the answer as a charade = 1,2,4,1

Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Sorry BD – you beat me to it! And while I’m still in front of the computer I STILL don’t get 12a even after Mary’s help. I know that we had this one yesterday but I can’t understand the first four letters being synonymous with ‘profit’.

• Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

If you plumb the depths of Chambers you will find:

boot2
          transitive verb
          To give profit or advantage to

noun (obsolete)
          Advantage
          Profit
          Any reparation or compensation paid (OE law)
          Booty (Shakespeare)

Posted December 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Digby – re 4a – yes, you have plumbed the depths! First letter is the usual one letter abbreviation for ‘feminine’, the next six letters mean ‘in’ ie not out – easier to split it into 2 and 4 – and the last letter is the usual abbreviation for ‘diamonds’.

• Digby
        Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Aha!!! Thanks BD & Kath. I can now turn to the BBQ with an uncluttered mind!

Posted December 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

BBQ – in this weather? You must be having a laugh!

• Upthecreek
            Posted December 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Cricket again!

• Digby
            Posted December 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Not at all Kath. The BBQ operates year round here – we never use the oven for cooking meat. Even the Christmas turkey is roasted thereon! Tonight it a speciality I came across in Canada – a chicken with a beer can full of wine & herbs where you would normally put the stuffing. Try it – well worth the effort!!

10. Claire
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Found this really tricky today – can anyone help me with 15d (which I think I have but don’t know why) and 25a which I made up but don’t think is a word!) Thanks

Posted December 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

15d Support, putting in time for Conservative followers (9)
      Start with a verb meaning to support and put in T(ime) in place of C(onservative) to end up with a word meaning followers.

Posted December 5, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

25a Final stage appearance as Shakespearean villian grabbing maiden (5)
      Start with the villian of Shakespeare’s Othello and insert (grabbing) M(aiden) to get the final stage of an insect’s development.

11. Claire
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza – both right but totally bemused as to why! – now I can rest in peace :-)

12. Qix
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this puzzle. Can’t think of any other explanation for 1D than that suggested above, and it seems like a fairly weak clue. Didn’t detract too much from the overall experience though. Some nice clues today.

13. Derek
    Posted December 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Tackled this today after a very enjoyable Sinter Klaas weekend with my daughter and family with two visits to Amsterdam.
    A lot of good clues : I liked 12a, 14a, 17a, 27a, 1d, 8d, 9d, 15d, 18d & 20d.

A slight thaw here in NL – but not 100% yet.