Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

Top quality stuff from the Monday Maestro. Lots of nice clues to choose as possible favourites, but 28a gets the vote from Gazza and I today.

If you cannot work out the answer from the hint, please highlight the space between the curly brackets.

1. Trying to procure foreign currency in great volume (11)
{TROUBLESOME} – A word that means difficult to deal with, consists of TOME (a great volume) with Russian currency placed inside.

9. Ocean silt may be stranded here (9)
{COASTLINE} – An anagram (may be) of OCEAN SILT for the sort of land adjacent to the sea, where you are likely see silt deposited.

10. Concentrate on the film? (5)
{FOCUS} – A word for the concentrating one’s attention, is also used to describe adjusting a lens, for example to produce a clear image.

11. Peephole for a viewer to lease (6)
{EYELET} – Definition is peephole, take EYE (a viewer) and add another word for lease or rent.

12. To be conspicuous, don’t sit inside (5,3)
{STAND OUT} – The opposite of sitting inside would make you conspicuous.

13. Start to show to advantage (3,3)
{SET OFF} – A double definition, cause to occur, or accentuate or distinguish something.

15. To put at risk on purpose is a sin (8)
{ENDANGER} – END (purpose) is then followed by a synonym for one of the seven deadly sins to give a word that means to expose to harm.

18. Comb manufacturer (5,3)
{HONEY BEE} – The sort of comb that might be found in a hive.

19. Remarks we’re not supposed to hear as edge comes into it (6)
{ASIDES} – The sort of remarks that are stage whispers, can be created by putting another word for an edge inside AS.

21. Cat given alternative to din after midnight (8)
{TOMORROW} – The day after today, TOM (cat), a two letter word for alternative, and then another word for an uproar.

23. One member bearing harm (6)
{IMPAIR} – I (one), followed by the abbreviation for a Member of Parliament, and a word that describes your personal manner or bearing.

26. After accident, had no motor-cycle? (5)
{HONDA} – An anagram (accident) of HAD NO.

27. Bill I need changing can’t be changed (9)
{INDELIBLE} – Another anagram (changing) of BILL I NEED is something that is impossible to remove or wash away.

28. Why not have power, too? (5,2,4)
{MIGHT AS WELL} – This raised a wry smile. A phrase that indicates that it is probably better to do something than not to do it, could also be applied to someone else who could take charge.

1. Watches teachers marking correctly? (7)
{TICKERS} – Another word for clocks, is also the symbol that a teacher would put inside your exercise book if you got something correct.

2. Like an egg — veto a pie (5)
{OVATE} – An anagram (pie) of VETO A.

3. A stroke or a comma, maybe (9)
{BUTTERFLY} – A swimming stroke, is also a species of the order Lepidoptera.

4. Truss up about ten and depart (4)
{EXIT} – Another word for to leave, can be made from a word meaning to truss reversed (up), around X (Roman numeral for ten).

5. Nuance obvious to an individual (8)
{OVERTONE} – A word meaning open to view or observable is then followed by ONE (an individual). Definition, nuance.

6. Delicate and charming female trapped by rising river (5)
{ELFIN} – Place F (female) inside a reversed (rising) Egyptian river.

7. Is it after five or later he calls? (7)
{VISITOR} – IS IT is placed after V (Roman numeral for five) and then OR.

8. Creation, say, of sudden and natural occurrence (3,2,3)
{ACT OF GOD} – The first two chapters of the Book of Genesis are also this.

14. Dwelling for the people, in principle (8)
{TENEMENT} – Put MEN (the people) inside another word for a belief or opinion to give an apartment building.

16. Sees lambs going round in flocks together (9)
{ASSEMBLES} – An anagram (going round) of SEES LAMBS.

17. Getting fit (8)
{BECOMING} – Is also a word that can mean pleasing or attractive.

18. Woodcutter is buried in peace (7)
{HATCHET} – The sort of tool you might stick in the ground if you wanted to stop arguing.

20. A ruler’s affected, living in a dream world (7)
{SURREAL} – An anagram (affected) of A RULERS is an odd dream like quality, characterised by Salvador Dali.

22. True capital of Moroccan kingdom (5)
{REALM} – No it’s not Rabat. Another word for true is followed by M (capital of Morrocan) for a territory over which a sovereign rules

24. Walk like a doctor in drink? (5)
{AMBLE} – The abbreviation for Bachelor of Medicine is put inside another word for beer is also a leisurely stroll.

25. Rise in current is correct (4)
{TIDE} – Reverse the periodic variation in sea level, to get a word that means to prepare something for publication.

1. Prolixic
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Not the most difficult Rufus today but a delight to solve. All over far too quickly but at least there is an equally enjoyable puzzle from him in the Guardian today to prolong the pleasure. Many thanks to Rufus for the entertainment and to Libellule for the review.

2. gnomethang
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I would agree with the above from Prolixic, Libellule and gazza. I’ll take a squizz at the Guardian later on.
    Thanks to Libellule and to Rufus

• mary
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

welcome home bet you wish you were still there :-

3. Dickiedot
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this today but as you say Prolixic all over far too quickly, liked 7d and 28a Thanks Rufus and Libellule

4. mary
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Another lovely crossword from Rufus, have I mentioned ‘once or twice’ that he is my favourite setter :-D lots of clues I liked today, agree with 28a, also liked 18a, 26a and simple though it might be my favourite today wa 18d, a nice one for any of the CC trying for a day out! Off to search out a washing machine the other has finally given up and been relegated to the garage!

• mary
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Sorry forgot to say good morning Libelulle and thanks for the review, I had to check one out with you17d, though its what I thought I don’t really like this one, sorry Rufus :)

Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Good luck with the washing machine hunt – quiet here again today.

• mary
        Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

thanks Kath, sorted, arriving Weds hopefully :)

Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Another nice puzzle to start the week. Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

6. Nubian
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Still suffering from the weekend excesses so I found this a struggle, 1a just seemed to be a string of words that meant nothing to me so I am grateful for the blog.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

• mary
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Nubian, what did you do at the weekend :-) !

• Nubian
        Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the late reply Mary, Mrs N wanted silver place mats for Christmas so she must be obeyed. I have been in every shop in Newcastle. Anyway we entertained a couple of friends on Sat night that we last saw in France and they came laden with gifts, one of which was a bottle of Courvoisier. We dined on pink grapefriut and feta, followed by sambocca with new potatoes and haricot vert and a couple of bottles of Sancerre. Mrs N provided her speciality ‘thomas’s flan’ which went down a treat along with a selection of cheeses and a full bodied claret. It was at this point in the evening that things became a little blurred and cognac was mentioned. I am told after the dancing and ‘good nights’ I dutifully cleaned my teeth and went to bed. I don’t know what all the fuss is about but Mrs N has demanded total subserviance and so I know my place.
        I hope your washing machine arrives.

• mary
          Posted November 16, 2010 at 9:21 am | Permalink

love it (the story not the washing machine!) :)

7. AnnB
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Yes agree really nice ,CW today Thanks to all

8. brendam
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

A good fun puzzle! lots of favourites but 18a and 3d the best. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule

9. raphael nonsenso
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

A good start to the week 18a was the best clue

10. pommers
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Very pleasant crossword, even if not too taxing. Just about right for a Monday. Thanks Rufus.
    Unfortunately I haven’t the time for the Grauniad Rufus this morning, maybe this evening. The Quiptic, by Arachne, is pretty good today if you fancy a change, and the fifteen squared blog is by Big Dave!.
    Thanks for the blog Libellule.

11. David R
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle and the Grauniad is a good one too. Must be my quickest ever ‘Rufus Monday’ double solve, sad to say, again all over too quickly.

Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

No problems today once I’d sorted out 13a – started by getting it right but that made 3d look like an unlikely word so changed the second three letter word to ‘out’ – then changed it back again! Lots of very enjoyable clues – 1, 18, 21 and 28a and 3, 7, and 18d. Very cold and hoggy first thing this morning but sunny now although still cold. Off for dog walk soon. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

PS No pigs in the garden – that was meant to be foggy!! Oh dear! :oops:

Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Just had a quick look at the ‘baby’ crossword – I like the first two linked clues.

• Digby
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I thought that you didn’t like cricketing terms Kath!

Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I don’t but I CAN cope with some of the better known ones.!

15. Mr Tub
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

A nice start to the week: I agree with Libellule about 28a, but I did like 7d as well.

16. Digby
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

The usual smooth, slick and seamless puzzle from Rufus – thanks to him & to M’sieur L for the review.

17. Beangrinder
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

In agreement with the others..a lovely solve today. 18d my favourite. Can someone tell me why pie is the anagram indicator in 2d please?

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Pie is a printing term for a confused mix of type.

• Beangrinder
        Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you. Never come across this in cryptics before. Not easy to even find reference to it on internet. I live and learn.

• Upthecreek
          Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Would have thought that Beangrinder would have known about pies!

Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard of that – have learnt something today.

• Nubian
          Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

There used to be a pub in Newcastle near the ‘Evening Chronicle’ offices called ‘The Printer’s Pie’

18. BigBoab
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule, nice easy start to the week and very enjoyable.

Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable Monday puzzle from Rufus today, thank you. Lots of good clues so hard to pick a favourite but I did like 21a and 28a especially. Thanks to Libellule for the review.

20. mary
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Where are Lea and Franny?? anybody ‘seen’ them??

• Franny
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I’m here, Mary. Was interrupted in mid-comment by a friend wanting help with a long translation, so I’ve been off for a while. I hope you’re feeling better about the mouth and that your new washing machine works wonders — when it arrives.
      :-)

• mary
        Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Hello Franny thought you’d got lost somewhere with Lea, mouth is ok thanks until the new work starts but I can’t get a decent note out of my flute at the moment! Isn’t it strange how we depend so much on machines now, I didn’t even have a washing machine when I got married in 1971!

• Lea
          Posted November 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Mary – I will be late around tomorrow as well as am going to venture out and going to get a bit of pampering in – going for a pedicure. Still can’t bend so need someone to look after my feet!!!!

• mary
            Posted November 16, 2010 at 9:22 am | Permalink

really good idea, enjoy :)

• Lea
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve been missing today Mary – sorry – haven’t even downloaded the puzzlre but think I will now as everyone enjoyed it so much. Had physio and did some chores (which always take longer than they should) so haven’t had a chance.

Glad to hear you got your washing machine sorted out. When I came to the UK in 1970 my machine criteria were a washing machine AND a tumble drier. We had them at home and couldn’t see why I couldn’t have them here. Luckily my husband agreed so I got them.

21. Franny
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

This made a very agreeable start to a grey, wet Monday, though I’m kicking myself for being so slow to get 18a, which stopped me finishing for some time. But thanks, Rufus, for such a good puzzle, and to Libellule for the hints. I agree that 28a was the best clue, but the one that made me laugh was 26a.
    :-)

22. Collywobbles
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle once I broke into it, particularly liked 14d

23. Michael
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

My favourites were 18a, 28a and 18d

24. Upthecreek
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Hope Mary’swashing machine arrives on Wed and more importantly, and I speak from experience, that it fits. Nice workout today with some great clues. Favs 18d 21 26 28.

• mary
      Posted November 16, 2010 at 9:28 am | Permalink

yes, as an afterthought, upthecreek, that’s exactly where I’ll be if it doesn’t!! I was assured by the boy in the shop that it would?????

• Upthecreek
        Posted November 16, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

So was I!!!!

• mary
          Posted November 16, 2010 at 10:34 am | Permalink

watch this space!

25. Posted November 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

A nice pleasant start to the week.

26. Jane
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Straightforward puzzle today but this didn’t detract from the enjoyment factor. Favourite clue was 28a. Didn’t know that pie is a printing term.

27. Lea
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Late to it but enjoyed doing it – didn’t take too long but a nice puzzle nevertheless. My favourites were 18a and 28a.

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

28. Ainsley
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Need to disagree a bit on this one. Needed half a dozen hints and still trying to get 17d. So I found a bit tricky. 1a & bottom left corner caused most probs. Didn’t enjoy it that much either but did like 18a & 1d. Sorry to be negative

• pommers
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Ainsley
      No need to apologise – sometimes you’re on the setter’s wavelenght and sometimes not.
      No pasanada!

• Ainsley
        Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks pommers

• mary
          Posted November 16, 2010 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Its always the same Ainsley, as Pommers says, sometimes a puzzle everyone finds really easy and enjoyable I struggle with, you never can tell, so you’re not negative just honest :)

29. paolors
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Delightful, lots of excellent clues.

30. Derek
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Usual gentle start to the week from Rufus.
    Best for me : 1a, 18a, 28a, 3d, 8d, 17d & 18d.

BTW Libellule, prepositions govern the accusative case in English – so in your opening remarks to the post – …from Gazza and ME – s’il vous plait.

No hard feelings meant!

• Ian
      Posted November 15, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

So its good night from I, methinks! Thought I’d put a word in for 9a as my favourite clue. Great crossword, thanks to all.