Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

We have a typical Giovanni puzzle today, good clueing, a few smiles and several religious references. There’s one clue (22d) where I’m not at all sure of how it works, so any assistance on that one would be gratefully received. Whether you have any ideas on that one or not, we’d like to hear your views in a comment.
To reveal an answer just drag your cursor through the space between the brackets under the relevant clue.

Across Clues

1a  Tries to get new deal to redevelop one great site (12)
{RENEGOTIATES} – an anagram (redevelop) of ONE GREAT SITE produces a verb meaning tries to get a new deal.

9a  Pussy full of vivacity getting left half hidden in vehicle (9)
{CABRIOLET} – this is a type of convertible car. Put a feline creature (pussy) around (full of) a synonym for vigour or vivacity and the first half of LE(ft).

10a  Name given to stone or cactus (5)
{NOPAL} – we want the name of a Central American cactus (no relation to Billy Nomates!) which is the food source of the bugs from which cochineal is obtained. Start with N(ame) and add a gemstone.

11a  To talk about old part of the Caribbean (6)
{TOBAGO} – Start with TO, add an informal verb meaning to talk at length which is reversed (about) and finish with O(ld) to make a Caribbean island.

12a  Page with written piece on the electron, say (8)
{PARTICLE} – an electron is an example (say) of a P(age) followed by something written in a newspaper,

13a  Bound to be hit (6)
{LASHED} – double definition.

15a  International organisation makes leftie furious (3,5)
{RED CROSS} – the name of an international humanitarian organisation if treated as separate words could be leftie and furious.

18a  Treachery in a job, say, when badly treated (8)
{APOSTASY} – start with A and a job or position followed by an anagram (when badly treated) of SAY to make a noun meaning defection from a religious organisation or renunciation of a religious belief.

19a  Not so much gold for one letting out property? (6)
{LESSOR} – someone letting out property could be redefined (4,2) as two words meaning a) not so much, and b) gold.

21a  Church officials who may be working at the fringes? (8)
{SIDESMEN} – cryptic definition of minor church officials who hand out hymnbooks and take collections, for example.

23a  Fractures bringing torment into the Civil Service (6)
{CRACKS} – put an implement of torture (torment) inside the abbreviation for Civil Service.

26a  Sudden movement? You’ll need breather, having little energy (5)
{LUNGE} – a bodily organ that breathes is followed by E(nergy) to make a sudden movement.

27a  A few words to get brigand finally condemned (9)
{SENTENCED} – we want a term for a few words with a proper grammatical structure. Now add the last letter (finally) of briganD to get a synonym for condemned (by a judge, to some time in prison, perhaps).

28a  It’s hard to get folk talking in Ireland! (7,5)
{BLARNEY STONE} – amusing cryptic definition of something that’s hard and is supposed to confer the gift of the gab on anyone who kisses it.

Down Clues

1d  Most of London maybe enthralled by authentic performance (7)
{RECITAL} – put a synonym of authentic around three-quarters (most) of what London is an example of to get a musical performance by a soloist or small group.

2d  Arrest old boy, someone very rich (5)
{NABOB} – a charade of an informal verb meaning to arrest and the abbreviation for old boy brings us a word which once described a European who had amassed a large fortune in the East but which is now used for any person of great wealth,

3d  Like young man following advice and being destroyed (5,4)
{GOING WEST} – double definition – firstly what a young man following advice on how to make a fortune might have been doing in nineteenth century America, and secondly being destroyed (a saying that may have its origins in a journey to Tyburn to be hanged).

4d  Instructed in time past (4)
{TOLD} – a charade of T(ime) and a synonym for past.

5d  Sort of mammal panther seems to be from what it’s consumed! (8)
{ANTEATER} – a mammal which, in a cryptic sense, may describe a panther (based on the three-letter word which that animal contains or “has consumed” cryptically).

6d  Painter making some patterns – terrific! (5)
{ERNST} – hidden (some) in the clue is the surname of a German painter who was a pioneer of surrealism, so the surface reading is very appropriate.

7d  Big clubs given promises of money after spring (8)
{SPACIOUS} – the definition is big. Put the abbreviation for clubs (in bridge, say) followed by promises of money, all after a mineral spring with health-giving properties.

8d  A story’s written about any number of immigrants maybe (6)
{ALIENS} – put a mendacious story, plus the ‘S around the letter standing for an unspecified number to get immigrants, maybe, or foreigners generally.

14d  Telling off Carol when concealing ailment (8)
{SCOLDING} – Carol is falsely capitalised to make you think of a girl but it’s actually a verb. Put a very common ailment inside to make a present participle meaning telling off.

16d  Go over loch that’s showing anything but turbidity (9)
{CLEARNESS} – turbidity means cloudiness or muddiness so we want the opposite, i.e. anything but. It’s a charade of a verb meaning to go over (as a horse may do to a fence in an equestrian competition) and the name of a well-known Scottish loch.

17d  Judge fools, type falling short (8)
{ASSESSOR} – the definition is judge (literally someone who sits in judgement). Put a synonym for fools in front of another word for type without its final T (falling short).

18d  Holy monk finds the answer sitting on a tree (6)
{ANSELM} – an abbreviation for answer followed by (sitting on, in a down clue) a type of tree produces the name of an Italian-born theologian, philosopher and saint.

20d  Grounds with lodge in having buried uranium (7)
{RESIDUE} – the definition is grounds (not part of your landed estate but the sort you’d find at the bottom of your coffee cup). Put the chemical symbol for uranium inside a verb meaning to lodge.

22d  Last thing soldiers will want, something bringing pain or destruction (5)
{SHELL} – This was the last answer I put in, because I didn’t, and still don’t, really understand it. I think that it’s a double definition with soldiers being ants or beetles who acquire one of these as armour in the last stage of their development. It’s also an explosive artillery projectile which brings pain and destruction. However, I’m not at all sure about this and look forward to crossing the foregoing out and replacing it with the correct explanation when someone tells me what it is! [Thanks to Giovanni for providing the correct explanation – It’s an all-in-one clue with the answer coming from the last letter (last thing) of soldierS followed by HELL (something bringing pain or destruction)].

24d  Two bean counters with zero? This’ll have beans! (5)
{CACAO} – a bean counter is a somewhat disparaging way of referring to an accountant. Put an abbreviation for an accountant twice (because there are two of them) in front of the letter that looks like zero to get a seed-bearing tree.

25d  Climbing mount, see a stake (4)
{ANTE} – a stake, in a card game for example, is the reversal (climbing, in a down clue) of a mountain (and volcano) in Sicily.

The clues I liked today included 9a, 11a, 18a and 5d, but my favourite is 28a. Let us know what you thought in a comment.

Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable Friday puzzle completed in fairly good time. I marked 3d as my favourite. Agreed with confusion on 22d – but think I have worked out a better definition than the one we had early. Perhaps Giovanni will explain. Thanks Gazza for the notes. Liz – today’s toughie is definitely not the one that will get us that piece of gateau in town!!

• lizwhiz1
      Posted August 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

going to have a go anyway… may only get one answer but what the heck!!!!

• Posted August 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Bravo!

Posted August 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

My comment about not meeting for cake was mainly due to the fact that for a couple of hours I didn’t think I was going to finish the T without BD’s helpful hints. Let us know how you get on.

• lizwhiz1
          Posted August 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Have actually done 11 after starting off with 1a from the blog! Got 4d straight away as it was the first diaphanous thing I thought of, but did not know why! Will persevere for a bit!

2. Barrie
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Tough one today, thought putting an obscure religious clue on a key down 18d was a bit underhand. but overall an interesting work out from the Master even though I failed miserably with most of it!!

3. Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

18a was my favourite. Sorry I cant help out on 22d, gazza but yours is asa good an explanation as I can see.
    Thanks to Giovanni for the puzzle and gazza for the review. I’m off to continue sweating on the Toughie!

4. dingo
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Re 22d Could the soldiers be as in the boiled egg variety?

• Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Now THAT’s a good thought!

Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:24 am | Permalink

That’s brilliant – now why didn’t we think of them!!

5. Derek
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

BD your blog site suddenly became today’s!!

As I mentioned in my contact message, I liked 28a, 3d,7d & 16d.

Re 22d I consider STEEL to be a better answer.

• Derek
      Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Dingo’s suggestion is good. In the north of England we don’t call them Soldiers but (dippy bread) Fingers.

I stick by STEEL as nobody likes bayoneting.

• Derek
        Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Giovanni has the last word!

6. Giovanni
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink

It’s S ( last letter of soldiers) + Hell & lit. Thanks for being nice!

Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

So simple when its explained. I still think the eggy soldiers have merit!

Posted August 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni for proving the explanation, but I like the breakfast soldiers as well!

Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I found some of this quite tough. I had 4 clues left after half an hour, and then spent the same amount of time on the remainder! Last to go were 21a, 3d, 18d, and 22d. Never heard of 3d before (except for a song by the pet shop boys!).
    Thanks to Giovanni, and to gazza.

8. SAR gods
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

22d soilders refers to bread/toast fingers you dip in a boiled egg ie you want shell on it

• Posted August 27, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog SAR gods

The setter has already posted his intended explanation – but I must admit i like the idea of the eggy soldiers, even though it is incorrect.

9. Nubian
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I am sorry to say I failed to finish today, I just could not complete the bottom left or top right corners. There must be something praying on my mind as I have not been in this situation on a Friday for as long as I can remember.
    18d I had the answer but did not put it in as I could not justify it until I read the blog. Having read the blog I know I would not have finished the puzzle. Shame really, I’m back in the CC for the foreseeable future.

• Geoff
      Posted August 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

And most welcome you are too! Hopefully some of your skills will rub off on me :grin:

• mary
      Posted August 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

welcome back Nubian. have not had chance to do puzzle today have been getting boat ready for prospective buyers to see, hope to be back tomorrow am :)

10. Geoff
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Eventually got there, with a lot of help, books, electronic and several hints, adding this and that (apostasy) to the books as I go. Slow to get going today and quite a few tricky clues, but a very enjoyable morning before another dull session at the Crem.

Many thanks to G&G.

• mary
      Posted August 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Really well done Geoff :)

11. BigBoab
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Another great crossword from the Maestro and another great review from Gazza, many thanks to both, loved 28a.

12. Ian
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Bit of a struggle, though finished without blog. Just loved 5d _ a real lol/penny dropping/aha moment when I got it. Thanks to all. Love fridays.

13. Digby
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I found that the SE corner went in quite quickly, then slowed down a bit as I headed north and west. 5d and 21a gave me the most satisfaction, but agree that 28a and 7d were good too.

14. Pete
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Found this difficult after the last few days of much easier puzzles. At one time thought there might be two setters because the righthand side below a line from NE to SW went in quickly but the other half did not. Pleased to see others had problems with 22d. Thought it might be shell but could not work it out.
    Thanks to Gazza for the review, it helped, and Giovanni for the puzzle.

15. OzzieFromOz
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

G’Day Bloggers! Have we arrived at the final answer for 22d?

Posted August 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Ozzie – welcome to the blog.
      Yes – Giovanni himself has given us the answer – see comment #6 above.

• OzzieFromOz
        Posted August 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Exscuse me Mate, but who the hell is Giovanni?

• gnomethang
          Posted August 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Mate, he’s the bloke that set the puzzle!

16. Prolixic
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle with lots to entertain and amuse and to Gazza for the review.

17. Little Dave
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this but missed a few in the SW. A busy day so little time to dwell on it.

18. paolors
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

I found this v hard, took me ages. Well I am just done now so all day! Grateful to the blog to check the 2 answers I was sort of guessing.

19. Posted September 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Apart from blarney stone,too easy for me.So ungiovanni if u ask me.Jay’s was the best this week.

• Franco
      Posted September 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Chadwick, why are you so far behind us? Today’s (23rd September 2010) DT Crypic is #26,353. You are on #26,330.

Posted September 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Chadwick is in Kenya where the DT cryptics appear a lot later than here.