NTSPP – 021 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 021

A Puzzle by Biddle

+– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the twenty first in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week Biddle (regular contributor Peter Biddlecombe) has provided a puzzle with a topical theme – his first for the site .

The puzzle by Biddle is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 021

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. Tilly
    Posted July 3, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks for a really great struggle, Biddle! Felt a bit like 1/8 and 16/1 must have in 1969 let alone 27/6 recently, but it was certainly worth the effort. i was looking for something like 26a and, once found, words began to slot into place. Favourite clue 16/1.

Posted July 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Nice Saturday diversion – loved the theme. Can only vaguely remember 16/1 and 1/8 so can imagine the comments we will get from younger solvers!! Thanks for the puzzle.

• Posted July 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

The theory was that during the 20 25 and 27 6 encounter, the other two would have been mentioned quite often …

Posted July 4, 2010 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I went into some sort of trance on day 2 of that encounter so must have missed that bit! What ever happened to dear old Roger Taylor???

3. tilly
    Posted July 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

4. tilly
    Posted July 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Sorry, something wrong with my computer, or the typist, as my previous comment has come out twice on two different pages. What I wanted to say this time was my favourite player used to be Vic Seixas. I wonder how he might look as a clue/anagram.

5. Prolixic
    Posted July 4, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I picked up the theme fairly quickly but, not being a sports fan, the references to the players were lost on me. Needed to research the older ones! Otherwise, a great puzzle, for which many thanks to Biddle. Favourite clue 27d.

6. gazza
    Posted July 5, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Thanks for a very pleasant puzzle. I actually remembered the names of 1/8 and 16/1 from all those years ago, whereas I’ve already forgotten the two from last week. Favourite clue: 29a.