Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

We had a great time at Wairakei Resort last weekend.  The weather was outstandingly perfect so we were able to do all the things we had planned.  Hot-pool bathing, walking, seeing the sights including the magnificent Huka Falls,  9 holes of golf, eating far too much and hanging out with family.  What more could we ask for?

A few tricky ones from Jay this week and good fun as ever.

Please leave a comment telling us what you think of it.

1a         Do they provide a view of dogs across India? (3,7)
BOW WINDOWS : A child’s term for dogs which includes a three letter abbreviation for IND(ia).
images

6a         What may measure resistance if working for the Crown? (4)
OHMS : These units, relating to electricity, are made up of initials that you find on letters from the government.

10a         Arrangements to pay for calls? (5)
TERMS : Double definition the second definition has to do with naming.

11a         Lean on board for guest on game show (9)
PANELLIST : A board that you would put on a wall say, precedes a synonym for lean (not the thin sort, more like the Pisa tower).

12a         A star looking embarrassed on the way back is in pieces (7)
ASUNDER : Our particular star then the embarrassed colour reversed (on the way back).

13a         Outstanding students covered by revised rates (7)
STELLAR : Anagram (revised) of RATES encloses the repeated one letter abbreviation for a student.

14a         Solve problems of currency and go away during Tourist Trophy (12)
TROUBLESHOOT : Tourist Trophy (TT) encloses Russian currency and a word meaning ‘go away’.

18a         Learned if fit for changing this sort of gear (12)
DIFFERENTIAL : Anagram (changing) of LEARNED IF FIT gives something that might be part of your car.

21a         Common ground for parking after a lover gets frisky! (7)
OVERLAP : Anagram (gets frisky) of A LOVER then P(arking).

23a         A group of workers backed working with eastern plant (7)
ANEMONE : A from the clue then term for a group of workers reversed (backed) plus usual two letter word for working, then E(astern).
images

24a         Popular dénouement must include time and meaning (9)
INTENDING : Two letter word meaning popular then T(ime) then a word you might use to describe the finish or final few minutes of something.

25a         Fitting end to sports encounters (5)
MEETS : Archaic term for fitting or appropriate then S (end to sports).

26a         Place for looking at animal skin? (4)
HIDE : Double definition. The first definition is for our twitcher friends.

27a         Recent changes in hotel employee share (10)
PERCENTAGE : Anagram (changes) of RECENT inside (in) name for young boy attendant or hotel employee.

1d         Act as bearer in shop? (6)
BETRAY : Split 2,4 it means take the part of something for carrying drinks. Shop in this case is a verb.

2d         Women provide weapons, leading practice exercise (4-2)
WARM-UP : W(omen) then what you might do when you supply guns and a two letter word for leading.
images

3d         Criminally daring sideline organised by executive? (7,7)
INSIDER DEALING : Anagram (organised) of DARING SIDELINE. The whole clue is also the definition.

4d         Free trade with Peru? That’s something different (9)
DEPARTURE : Anagram (free) of TRADE and PERU leads to a deviation from your normal course of action.

5d         Complains, dismissing hotel drinks (5)
WINES : A homophone. Take away (dismissing) H(otel) from a synonym for complains.

7d         Part of family history from the man I left in kitchen, for example (8)
HEIRLOOM : The two letter male, then I from the clue, then L(eft) inside a part of a house that could be a kitchen.

8d         Flood of pasties regularly supporting most of planet (8)
SATURATE : Most of the letters of one of the planets in our solar system, then the even letters (regularly) of pasties.

9d         Church official says piece for politician (5,9)
ELDER STATESMAN : A charade. The church official is probably Presbyterian. A synonym for ‘says’ and a piece from a chessboard.

15d         New arc light absorbing energy makes you listless (9)
LETHARGIC : Anagram (new) of ARC LIGHT with an extra E(nergy) included.

16d         Warn a receiver, impounding half of monies (8)
ADMONISH : A from the clue then a receiver for a satellite signal enclosing (impounding) three letters of monies.

17d          Touched by journalist supporting unlimited offer during performance (8)
AFFECTED : Remove the first and last letters from ‘offer’ (unlimited) and put this inside a three letter word for performance and finish it off with the usual two letter journalist.

19d         Chap, for example, with a cellarful of wine for sale (6)
BODEGA : Colloquial word for a man, two letter ‘for example” plus A from the clue.
images

20d         The French understand a person who rents (6)
LESSEE : Plural French definite article then word for understand.

22d         Elegance of model travelling across Italy (5)
POISE : Verbal synonym for model which includes I(taly). The pic has very little to do with the clue but we put it in anyway.
20141109_114430

We couldn’t decide between 1a and 1d so have gone for  both as ‘tops’. (That avoids having two favourites).

The Quick Crossword pun: Antibes+yacht+ticks=antibiotics

Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Thank you Jay – enjoyable and a bit of confidence restored for me ! I therefore expect a few “read and writes” from the experts ! This level of difficulty is fine by me http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif Thanks 2Kiwis for your review and hints – sounds like a jolly weekend http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

2.5*/3*. My extra half for difficulty was due to the time it took me to get my last two in – 1d & 10a.

I agree with our reviewers that 1a & 1d are excellent clues but my choice for favourite is 3d.

I had heard of the answer to 19d but never knew what it meant until I looked it up in the BRB today. I’ll try and store that one in my memory for future puzzles.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

3. Jane
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

“Daddy wouldn’t buy me…….” What a wonderful start to a glorious Wednesday romp. Slight hiccup at 1d having confidently put in ‘basket’ but that was the only problem.

No sports, no obscure words, abbreviations, countries – thank you so much Jay. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Favourite just has to be 1a, which I reckon may well take the honours today – and appreciative mentions for 6a & 19d.

Job well done, 2Ks and so pleased to hear that you had such a great family weekend.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

My Dad used to sing that. Wasn’t it an Edwardian music hall song?

• Jane
        Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Yes it certainly was! Strangely enough it appeared in a TV programme a few weeks ago – sung by an extremely over-dressed lady supported by the usual line-up of chorus girls!

Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Interesting, I googled it and learned all sorts of strange things, also about the song “any old iron”. Who knew?!

4. Rod
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Thanks 2Kiwis for sorting me out. I had Bagman for 1d which left me with Giros for 10a which I knew was wrong but couldn’t figure it out. Drove me mad. Otherwise a romp

5. Chris
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

My laugh out loud clue was 1a but the one I most admired (and spent longest over) was 1d – because even having guessed an answer it still took me some while to see the wordplay. Many thanks to the setter for all the fun and the 2K whose hints I just managed without.

6. dutch
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Also struggled with 1d and 10a. Had put in bagman, with an unsatisfactory giros in 10a. Glad i’m not the only one.

Favourite was 3d (criminal sideline) for its all in one nature. I liked 27a (hotel employee share), 8d (flood of pasties), and 19d (chap with wine cellar). Visited a few of these in Manorca.

not being a twitcher i did not understand first definition of 26a. I thought the “you” in 15d (listless) was out of place somehow.

Thanks Jay and 2 kiwis

7. Bluebird
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I also had bother with 1d.
    As usual when I got stuck with 2 to go, I went away and did something else and then came back and did the outstanding ones ( but wrong in the of 1).

Sun coming out, so off to assemble raised beds……..

8. boltonbabs
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Struggled with 1d, eventually put in “batman” for no discernible reason, except that it fitted! Was due to go for a 10 mile walk today, drove to the starting point during a deluge, and then came straight back. Needless to say, it has now cleared up.
    Thanks to the setter and the 2kiwis.

9. Tony
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I, too, did not get 1d. Even with everyone’s posts – and thank you – I am not sure I understand the connection between shop and (verb) betray.

• Hanni
      Posted November 12, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

To ‘shop’ someone, means to go behind their backs and report something. For example being ‘grassed up’ to the police by a friend is ‘shopping them.
      If it helps, I still didn’t get the answer right.

• Tony
        Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much – I was not aware of this meaning, (nor of being grassed up I might add – I must lead a very sheltered life!) and sadly the clever word play of the clue was lost on me.

10. Clarky
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Great fun with several ‘laugh out louds’ especially my favourite 1a, once the penny dropped. A 13a test today!
    Thanks to setter and reviewer as always.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

For me, the most enjoyable DT puzzle so far this week! Thanks to Jay, and to 2Kiwis for the review.

12. Owdoo
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Add me to the “held up by 1d and 10a” club.
    Lack of time today meant I caved in and resorted to a hint which took the edge off my enjoyment.
    3*/2*
    Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

13. Michael
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I put ‘batman” in 1d and don’t really see it as wrong – I don’t know about ‘Betray’ seems a bit weak somehow!

Having said that I really enjoyed this one.

Tomorrow is another day – onward and upward! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

14. SheilaP
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

1 down was the last one in for us too, and I think it was clever. An interesting puzzle which required a bit of assistance for us to finish, but nothing to frighten the horses so to speak. Thank you 2Kiwis and the setter.

15. deecdee
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

1d Shop – sell down the river – betray

Posted November 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog,deecdee.

16. Rick
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear I was not alone in finding the 1/10 mini puzzle a bit tricky! Loved 1a when I finally got it. 1 difficulty star for those clues plus another for the rest makes 2*/4* for me for a most enjoyable midweek diversion.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay. Luckily I got 1a&d and 10a quite early. Was held up for a while in the NE corner, then managed to get 8d, and the rest fell into place. Last in was 5d, I could only think of whinge for ages, then had a whine about it http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif
    Favourite was 1a, was 2*/3* for me. Sun now out in Central London.

18. fran
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Difficult for me 1d failed me I put in barman as a last resort ! as a result 10a crashed : still some satisfaction with many of the others .Thanks to you Kiwis

Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I’m with Rick on this one so 2* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    For no obvious reason 4d and 11a were my last two. I could see 4d was an anagram and still couldn’t get it for ages.
    I was also pretty slow with 14 and 18a – bits of cars could be yet another thing to add to the ever increasing list of things that Kaths can’t do.
    Lots of good clues so I’ll restrict myself to just a few of them – 1, 21 and 26a and 1d. My favourite was 3d.
    With thanks to Jay and Kiwis. I’m not sure that having two ‘tops’ is so very different to having two favourites but I’ll let you get away with it because the photo pic for 22d is very nice – glad you had a good time.

20. Miffypops
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Nice and easy today solved in Bruges where we are for a few days. Thanks for the photo at the end of your review. It is always good to put faces to names. Thanks for the blog and thanks to Jay for the puzzle

21. Gwizz
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

No problems until …..1d! I went down the BATMAN route having already considered… and then dismissed the correct answer; heaven knows why!
    An excellent puzzle today which needed a bit of thought. Thanks to Jay and the Kiwis

Posted November 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Not a read and write, but not unduly difficult and very entertaining. Many clever clues, but I think my fave has to be 1a as it reminds me of a song my Dad used to sing to us. Thanks to Jay, and to the 2Kiwis for the review, and the picture!

23. Hanni
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

***/***
    I also went down the batman/bagman route for 1d.
    There were quite a few clues that raised a smile including 1a and 3d. My favourite has to be 14a. Lovely stuff.
    Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for blogging. I’m very glad that you had a good holiday.
    Today, between hideous work, I have been making Christmas cakes/pudding s. Now I just have to figure out where to hide them so the various scavengers don’t eat them. By scavengers I mean my other half and child type things.

• Jane
      Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Hanni, well done you – I found the easiest way was to let my Mum continue to make them and then keep them at her house until the appointed day. She got so many brownie points from her grandchildren and it also let me off the hook! Downside is that I am now relatively useless at baking (and sewing, come to that – Mum was also a star in that department). Younger daughter has definitely inherited her Granny’s baking talents – which reminds me:- yes, I have finished the cleaning, including the oven! That was a little pointless since she will doubtless take over the kitchen for baking experiments whilst she’s here and they invariably give rise to a lot of bubbling and splashing. Delicious results, though!

Make the most of having the child type things still at home. Once they leave, you no longer have any control so you just worry about them twice as much!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Hanni
        Posted November 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

It sounds like you’ll have plenty of fun, and food, when your youngest gets back tomorrow. :-)
        I hear what you say about sewing. I’m a decent cook but am verging on dangerous with a sewing machine. Or a simple needle come to think of it.
        I do dread the day child type things leave. Though I usually need to lie down when I look at uni fees.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

The day our younger ‘child type thing’ left home I started crying as we left her in London. The heavens opened and all the drains clogged up so the car was in water that went half way up the wheels prompting husband to “suggest” that there was already enough water outside and that if I didn’t stop it would be just as bad inside before very long. Oh dear!

Posted November 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Oven cleaning – are you having a laugh? I’m convinced the world is sharply divided into two groups when it comes to this. There are those who work on the principle that it’s fine as it is, it’s not unhygienic as it’s too hot for bugs to grow whenever there’s any food in it and anyway no-one can see it. The second group wipe it out every time they use it – I call that OCD. No prizes for guessing which group I’m in! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Jane
          Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

OK – confession is good for the soul……….. my oven has this magic button – press it and the oven cleans itself!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif Only trouble is that you have to take out all the wire racks and side pieces first, and they’re quite the worst bits to clean.

Tried the Toughie before I went out tonight – just to give everyone a laugh, I got precisely two answers in. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

If you really can’t get anywhere with a puzzle then I suggest copying in all the across answers from the blog (trying to understand the wordplay as you do so) then have a go at the down clues, now with the advantage of lots of lovely checking letters.

• Jane
              Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Yep – that’s what I try to do, figuring that I’ll learn something if nothing else! I just have this horrible feeling that if I’ve only managed two by myself then I’m way off the setter’s wavelength. Still……….. you never know!

Thanks, gazza, I do appreciate it when expert puzzlers like your good self take the time to help us ‘sloggers’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Hanni
            Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Kath/Jane…
            Kath I am very much with you on the temp bacteria are destroyed. Therefore why spend an hour cleaning the thing. But there is still this tiny part of me that remembers the Aga. The same Aga my mother still has therefore I make a vague effort.
            As for child things leaving…I will be very much like you. I absolutely put my foot down about boarding. The floodgates will open the day we do drop them off. On the upside I have amazing stepchildren, (I hate that term), that generally come back home whenever they are hungry/washing/hungry/broke/hungry/advice/hungry!
            Jane…worry not about the Toughie. And no one will ever laugh at you. You’re intelligent, funny and you endured golf club dinners. :-)
            The latter as the presidents wife etc.

• jean-luc cheval
              Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

My problem is quite the opposite. Apart from the cleaning the oven which I have to dismantle (including the double glass front) my child thing wants me to go with her… And back to good old London if you don’t mind. Except I don’t see myself starting a business again in London. I just don’t have enough millions to live and work in Covent Garden anymore. St Martin’s school of art it might be but she will have to start with a bedsit.

• Hanni
                Posted November 13, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Jean-luc..
                St. Martins is an excellent school but I agree.
                I am trying not to release my inner A.A.Gill.
                But I will.
                I would rather eat at Le Jardin any day than eat at a place that says ‘Dinner by’….
                This is food, not Sesame Street. Ego’s are inedible.
                I know this is not helpful but I do hope for you and your family/daughter enjoys London.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hanni
                Posted November 13, 2014 at 12:23 am | Permalink

P.S if we ever get to Hyères and Le Jardin I cannot wait for good food, good wine and good conversation. We even speak French. Mine does improve the longer I am there. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

24. JonP
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

**/**** for me today. Thanks to 2Kiwis and Jay.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Morning everyone. Good to see you have all been behaving while we were asleep. 1d seems to have been the clue to cause most problems, it was our last one in too. We decided to put our photo with 22d as, with the answer being POISE and the word ELEGANCE being in the clue we thought it the most appropriate place for it. (We should now duck, but it is probably a bit far for people to throw things anyway). Cheers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

26. Framboise
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed today’s offering so thank you Jay! For me it was 2*/4*. 1d made me chuckle. Did not need the review but read it nevertheless, always good fun so thank you to 2Kiwis. Jean Luc, so we we are practically neighbours, fancy that! We shall look you up pretty soon – we have passed your restaurant many times… Rarely dine out in Hyères. Many British people in Hyères?

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I just saw your post. I will be away this weekend but I will try to contact you next week through the blog. Let us hope that the weather improves before the Gapeau arrives in town.

27. F1lbertfox
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Good fun indeed. I didn’t start this crossword until this afternoon, but soon started chuckling away with clues/answers like 1 across and 1 down. Many favourites, but too many too mention them all. 10 across was a particularly good one I thought, mainly because it was my last one in. Thanks to Jay – most enjoyable and best one of the week so far. (IMHO) :-)

28. Michael
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Trying to amend my email address – I’ve moved to BT and am wondering if I’ve made a wise decision.

• Posted November 12, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Moving to BT – possibly a wise decision. Using an email address that is tied to the service provider – debatable!

• F1lbertfox
      Posted November 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with Big Dave – I’m also with BT, but I have both a gmail and an AOL email address. If you ever decide to leave BT for whatever reason, you can always retain your email addresses and ‘take them with you’.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Well I found this quite difficult, though not 1a, which is my favourite.14a held me up the longist, even though we have seen it before.Thanks Kiwis, I am glad your trip was a great success.

30. Vancouverbc
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Slept in today so late to the party. ***/***. I’m also one of the 1d/10a group. Needed the hints from the 2Ks – many thanks for saving my sanity. Beautiful blue sky today but very chilly.

31. Poppy
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle. Many thanks to setter. 1a my favourite as Poppy considers all windows have been installed for her personal entertainment – thankfully she is a quiet viewer of life, apart from when the postman arrives as that marks the start of her day job to bring the mail right to my seat. Any big parcels get dragged at the end of her shift, for which she expects time and a half bonuses. Thank you 2Kiwis for the hints. Your trip sounds super, and I loved the pic for 22d.

32. Hilary
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I too had struggle with 1d and 10a but I went and had some supper and when I got back the answers dropped into place. No fave raves today just relieved that I had finished. Thanks to 2Kiwis glad the family reunion went well.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

33. Maggie
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I got to 1a through windows in Bow providing a view of the Isle of Dogs – it was either that or ‘bung it in’… 1d definitely too tricky. Bodega a new one for me – must drink more wine in future. Did pretty well for me but still an (enjoyable) slog. ;)

• Hanni
      Posted November 12, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I actually like your thinking for 1a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif If it works it works.

Posted November 12, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

A whisker over 2* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment, l think. I liked 1d, but 14a is my pick of the clues. My thanks to Jay, and to the 2kiwis (with a large helping of envy over the weather in your picture!).

Posted November 12, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Got a bit stuck with NW corner. 2d misleading with the plural of weapons and didn’t get terms for calls nor betray either. But very enjoyable nonetheless. Great picture for 23a as I have vases and vases of anemones in my restaurant. We are in full season for these flowers at the moment and some have 60cm stems. I’m going to blow my own trumpet again but Hyeres (oh not again) is the capital of cut flowers with our flower market selling all over Europe. I think you should all move down here. We simply have everything. Thanks to the setter and to 2kiwis for the wonderful review. http://www.directfloralintl.com/france.html

36. Joel
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Can anyone enlighten me on Tourist Trophy? Haven’t seen that in Crosswordland in 20 years of doing them!

• angel
      Posted November 13, 2014 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Are you seeking more gen on the long-established Isle off Man T T motorbike street races? FYI apart from Tourist Trophy I gather TT is sometimes said to stand for Titanium Testicles which are needed to enter these races!

• Tstrummer
      Posted November 13, 2014 at 1:07 am | Permalink

TT crops up from time to time, but usually as initial letters in an answer rather than in the clue, which I usually includes “race” or similar.

37. angel
    Posted November 13, 2014 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Came late to this after busy day in London including visits to see the heart-rending Poppy work of art at the Tower of London and then the excellent “Late Turner” exhibition at the Tate which was made more interesting for me as a result of having recently seen the “Mr. Turner” film. I see I am not by any means alone with my problems over 1d/10a – tried desperately to use bazaar for “shop” so many thanks 2Kiwis for putting me straight on that and good to make your acquaintance! Thanks also to Jay for a challenging puzzle. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

38. Tstrummer
    Posted November 13, 2014 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Well I found this quite hard for a back-pager. It was more in Toughie territory for me, but I got there in the end after also going down the bagman/giro route. I knew giro had to be wrong and it took much tobacco and London Pride before I finally clicked. This took me into 5* time. However, I loved the difficulty, so thanks Jay, I’m giving you 4* for enjoyment for such brilliant clues as 1a, 6a, 14a, 18a, 3d and 9d. Thanks too, as ever, to K-squared for the review and envy-inducing pic (does everyone in NZ have giant tulips growing out of their heads?)