DT 27271 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27271 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Get bogged down after loot taken by half of German general staff? (7,5)
A verb meaning to get bogged down is preceded by (after) some loot and the first half of GERman to get a short military staff, perhaps one carried by a general

9a           Canine hero runs in adventure cartoon (3,3,3)
One for the older solvers – R(uns) followed by IN and a series of adventures written by Belgian cartoonist Hergé

Tintin is standing amongst the main characters and others.Rin Tin Tin

10a         Sea-dog died dissolute (5)
This famous English sailor is derived from D(ied) followed by a dissolute or libertine

12a         Neckwear used by top gangster (8)
An item of neckwear followed by an adjective meaning top or first-class

13a         Old tennis champ in posh car taking less care (6)
Put the surname of the winner of the Men’s Singles at the 1975 Wimbledon Championships inside the two-letter abbreviation for a posh car

18a         Naval vessel and similar things returned carrying soldiers (old one) (8)
Reverse (returned) the three-letter abbreviation meaning “and similar things” and insert some regular soldiers and an old soldier

27a         Clip about Asian island’s primitive behaviour (9)
A verb meaning to clip or prune around an Asian island and the S from ‘S

28a         You support a child (6,6)
What “you”, as opposed to “I/we” and “he/she/they”,  represents as a grammatical term is a charade of a verb meaning to support a three-letter word meaning a, as in 50p a kilo, and a male child

1d           Tool for republicans’ objective! (7)
Split as (5,2) this could mean to get rid of the Queen, the objective of republicans in the UK

3d           Legendary queen always visiting African country briefly (9)
This legendary queen, who divided her attentions between King Arthur and Sir Lancelot, is derived by putting a four-letter word meaning always inside most of (briefly) an African country

7d           Song concerning idle fellow (8)
A three-letter word for a song followed by a word meaning concerning

8d           Engineers fast to yield (6)
The abbreviation for the Royal Engineers followed by a period of fasting leading up to Easter

16d         European town like Barcelona in vogue documentary (9)
E(uropean) and a town, like Barcelona, which is on the coast all inside a vogue or fashion

18d         Bashful takes Doc’s stuff — that’s funny (6)
An adjective meaning bashful around something you get from the doctor

20d         Harry and Mary to get job on farm (7)
An anagram (harry) of AND MARY

25d         Object to intellectual (4)
Two definitions – a verb meaning to object to and an intellectual or thinker

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

As this is a Prize crossword, please don’t put any ANSWERS, whether WHOLE, PARTIAL or INCORRECT, or any ALTERNATIVE CLUES in your comment, else they may be censored!

The Quick crossword pun: (furs} + {twirled} + {wore} = {First World War}

Posted August 31, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Another excellent puzzle today. A steady but enjoyable solve with no significant issues. I’m going for 2* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment. Last one in 16d. Favourite 1d.

BD, I parsed 28a slightly differently taking “a” to signify the first three letters of the second word, using the “a” as in, for example, “twice a year”.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

• Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Much better – I’ve amended the hint, thanks.

• stanXYZ
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Many Thanks to the Other Dave for explaining 28a!

28a nearly as good as 1d. :smile:

2. Collywobbles
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

An enjoyable offering today. I found some clues difficult but fathomable. Still a few clues to go but nearly there. Many thanks to BD for the usual help and the setter, whomever he is

Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

So, do I like 9a because of the clue or because it reminds me of childhood television? :)

• una
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

My absolute favourite as a child, 5 pm on Saturday evenings. I more or less refused to go out on Saturday afternoon in case we got home late and missed it.No record button then.

4. Michael
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Nice one, not too difficult as per the normal Saturday.

Now off to West Ham for the Stoke game – come on you ‘ammers!

Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter. Got there in the end. Like a few puzzles over the last few days I have had correct answers but not got the wordplay. Glad you had some hints today BD for this recurring problem ! 1d, and 28a. Many thanks. Thought 24 d was a real laugh !

• Shawn
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comment on 24d. Now I get it! Very clever.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Hard work but with some very clever clues (1d and 12a for example).
    Must admit that I would not have got 11a without Mrs Bs help. :-)
    Most enjoyable unlike yesterday.
    Thx to the setter and to BD for explaining 1d.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve made a mess of this one and found it really difficult – I think it’s almost certainly just me! Oh dear!
    I’ve never heard of 1a and although I got 9a I didn’t know why it was right. I needed the hint to explain my answer for 18a. I spelt 17d wrong which was just plain stupid. I knew it was an anagram but put a double letter where there shouldn’t have been and a single one where there should have been a double one – is everyone keeping up? Anyway that made 27a if not impossible certainly a bit tricky. It wasn’t until I read the hint for 27a that I realised my mistake.
    I liked 19 and 28a and 2 and 20d. My favourite was 1d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD – I really needed the hints today.

• Brian
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Sounds like my adventures with yesterday’s Giovanni!
      Don’t worry we all have days and in my case sometimes weeks like this.
      Look on the bright side, it’s sunny, warm and dry, what could be better :-)

8. jezza
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable Saturday puzzle for a long time for me! Many thanks to setter, and to BD.

9. SheilaP
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

This started off with one or two quite easy clues e.g. 9 across, we then got bogged down a bit & needed some help from the hinter, for which thank you, also of course the setter.

10. Outnumbered
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Slow going for me, but got there in the end. Found it the hardest of the week.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle. I messed up
    at the end. I couldn’t decide on the three letter word at the beginning of 7d, making 10a hard work. Needed the hint in the end. A fun puzzle with lots of good clues. Favourites were 1&12a and 1d. Nice and sunny in Central London.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Was 2*/3* for me.

13. Caravaggio
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I was grateful for a couple of hints, Dave, because I started slowly and needed to accelerate to watch the Manchester City – Hull City game, having completed the puzzle. As it happened, I could probably have continued to complete the puzzle while watching the game because the home side were far from convincing. It’ll be interesting to see what happens after Tottenham have bedded in all their new players because I can see Spurs challenging for the title [says this Liverpool supporter].

14. Derek
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable Saturday solve.

Quite a lot of old favourites in this puzzle

Faves : 9a, 27a, 28a, 1d, 3d & 16d.

After a dull morning, we are back to blazing sunsine again here in NL.

15. Toni
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Oh what an idiot! Everybody knows that ******* don’t work on farms. It held me up in the SE corner for ages. Sorted it now.

16. Dawn
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

All but 11a to go, found this tough even with hints but they filtered in eventually.

Thanks to BD as ever for the hints, much needed today.

• Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

In 11a the team is the Roman numerals for the number of players in a cricket or football team!

• Dawn
        Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks B D, I resorted to phoning Dad for an explanation which was offset by explaining the thoughts behind another couple of clues :-)

So grateful for your blog, I would not have this far without it, but crosswords in the week done by other setters still confuse so am still very much a beginner :-(

17. kate.cricket
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to find the 24 August £500 prize puzzle to print off? Thought it would be in the paper today but gather I missed it last week. I’m so cross I missed it, I thought it was last Saturday of the month. Last Saturday’s has now gone to be recycled! Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

You have mail.

• kate.cricket
        Posted August 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

18. PJ
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks once again for a most enjoyable puzzle and review.

BD, your illustration for 1a reminded me of two of my favourite films.

But I would say that Patton, as a hardnosed old cavalryman, is carrying a crop, while the answer to 1a reminded me more of what the Colour Sergeant in Zulu tucked into his belt when he needed to keep his hands free.

• Posted August 31, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

According to Wikipedia the answer to 1a can be a riding crop. It also says that Patton carried one throughout World War II; however, his contained a concealed blade.

19. weekendwanda
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Loved this one. Started and finished early and then went shopping before the hints were up. Favourites were 1 and 19a. and 1 and 24d.. 28a very good two but did not get the parsing until I just read the hint. I don’t think the first three letters of the second word are really a substitute for “a” although it is in the example given in the hint. Loved 10a too. I understand why Brian would need his wife’s help on that one. My slowest corner was SE. Why does the setter not reveal himself but thanks to him anyway and BD. Very short on comments so far – and I always enjoy reading them.

20. Little Dave
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I found this very tricky in part and I toiled on and off between chores. There were some lovely clues but 1d is my favourite and made me smile. 27a was pleasing to get. Good to get it done. A good challenge like yesterday’s. Enjoy the sunshine folks.

21. Sue
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Found this one tricky today. Mind you, having had the whirligig granddaughter staying all week, my brain is not functioning at full capacity! Favourite was 24D. Thanks to BD and the setter.

22. simon power
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

i am new to cryptic crosswords so am feeling my way in trying to work out the clues. have just discovered this site and it is most helpful.
    i tend to “cheat” by looking at the answers the day(s) after and try to work it all out – but have to say its hard going. probably need to buy some books or find some sites.

any help would be greatly appreciated

simon

• Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Simon

You could try looking at my (free) crossword guide. It can be downloaded as a Word document.

• simon power
        Posted August 31, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

many thanks. will start to look in earnest. sp

• Little Dave
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Simon. Checking back is always worth doing – I still do it now and I have been doing the DT crossword for about 20 years. Learning some conventions is essential and some indicators crop up regularly. Anagram indicators also but it all comes with persistence. There as a great book I read called How the Crack The Telegraph Crossword and this is well worth buying. And who knows you may win the Saturday competition – I got a runner up prize this year after a lot of persistence. Stick at it – it can be very addictive and great fun.

• simon power
        Posted August 31, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

hi, will look out for the book and persevere. sp

Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Hi – you will learn more from this brilliant blog than from any book. Everyone is really helpful and friendly – if you don’t understand just ask and someone will help. I think that ‘The Chambers Dictionary’ is pretty essential. It’s often referred to on the blog as the BRB because it is a (B)ig (R)ed (B)ook. I also think that a crossword dictionary is helpful – there are lots around – I don’t know which is best but I have a very old edition of ‘Chambers Crossword Dictionary’ which has a very useful bit at the front about ‘Crossword English’ by Don Manley aka Giovanni who is the setter of the DT cryptic on Fridays.
      Good luck and keep commenting! :smile:

23. Poppy
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Bit like Kath (although without her marathon drive yesterday!) I’ve struggled with this. And for the first time for ages I’m having to give up as I’ve run out of time, so feeling a bit cast down. On the other hand my beautiful rose is nicely settled in, & after a tea party involving proper chocolate ‘torte’ cake and a discussion about The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (by Rachel Joyce) with friends who even had a playmate for Poppy I’ve very little about which to complain (and certainly not a split infinitive!) :-)

• Poppy
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Sorry – many thanks to setter & BD too.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

:smile:
      Elder daughter and partner now safely installed in a flat which, I think, may be not far from where you live unless my geography is even worse than I think it is – Teddington Lock?

• Poppy
        Posted September 1, 2013 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Oh how super, Kath – that’s a lovely part (especially if they’re near the Lock itself) – and yes, you’re right, that’s not far from us at all… I can do a pretty serious coffee, or special tea or fantastic hot chocolate if you ever have a spare few minutes around a trip :-)

24. Vigo
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this puzzle very much with no need for hints – though I did need my Bradford’s list to check out the naval vessel as I thought it was a car!

Had to buy the paper today as can’t access my online puzzle subscription. Does anyone have an email address or phone number I can use to get help? Have tried the ones easily available but no joy.

Thanks.

Posted August 31, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

mail:
      [email protected]

Post:
      Telegraph Enquiries
      Victory House
      Meeting House Lane
      Chatham
      Kent
      ME4 4TT

Telephone:
      0800 316 6977

(If for any reason you can’t use the 0800 number, please call 01622 335030. This will be charged at normal rates)

Please note that phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. (All incoming and outgoing calls are recorded for training, quality control and for confirming orders and information.)

• Vigo
        Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a car too but BRB disagrees!

• mary
        Posted September 1, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

According to Google the18a (car) by Chevrolet is still being produced, it is also the name of a small warship

25. williamus
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Didn’t pick this one up till this evening and in truth nearly didn’t get round to it. Glad I did. I thought this was an excellent example of the Saturday crossword compiler’s art. Lots of clever wordplay and misdirection. As ever with me, several went in without fully understanding the construction, so grateful to BD for the explanations. Many thanks to the setter for a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle.

• F1lbertfox
      Posted August 31, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Me neither, as I spent the afternoon in the sun picking blackberries – and aren’t they huge this year? I picked almost 9 lbs today after picking similar the other evening. Oh, I almost forgot to say how much I enjoyed today’s prize crossword too – much more entertaining than most of tonight’s telly. 1 down had me scratching my head as did 28 across, but the proverbial penny did finally drop.

26. AndyB
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one. As usual needed the hints :-)

When the penny dropped with 24d I had a good laugh. Got stuck on 11a until I looked up ‘brownie’ in Chambers – never heard of that before and was thinking of chocolate cakes!

27. una
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Got there in the end.The online version rated it as * star. I don’t quite agree.I liked the homophone clues, especially 24d. Can anybody over a certain age not have found 9a a write in ? I was glad I waited for the hint before attempting to spell 3d.Thanks to setter, lovely puzzle and to Big Dave for assistance for 1a and 28a.

28. mary
    Posted September 1, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hi Kath welcome back, just popping in to say you won’t see much of me before October as we are off to Scotland for a few weeks heading for Loch Ewe and calling in Lake District on way back so here’s hoping it’s a sunny September in Scotland and see you all soon, appropriate paper work submitted Kath ;-)

• Sweet William
      Posted September 1, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Have a good time ! Its a long drive for you. We are off to Isle of Mull in a few days time – don’t use up all the sunshine !

• mary
        Posted September 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Might bump into you somewhere along the ‘High Road’ enjoy, there’ll be plenty of sunshine for us all hopefully :-)

• una
      Posted September 1, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Have a wonderful time and enjoy it all.And if something goes awry (as it will) think of me , confined to a laboratory, sweating over molecules and formulae.

• mary
        Posted September 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks Una :-)

29. Catnap
    Posted September 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I struggled to get onto the right wavelength and couldn’t complete this without Big Dave’s hints. This is not to say I didn’t enjoy what I could manage, so thanks to setter and to Big Dave.

30. Cornish Pasty
    Posted September 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Just catching up on the DT crosswords, found it a bit hard going in the SE corner. Just being a bait thick ths weekend
    I guess. 28a first word stumped me for ages, kept on thinking you meant me,! Last clue was 24d whqich tok a lot of intense staring and various incantations, kept on thinking hotel meant H in the answer and something to do with wills. Fav answers were 1d and 12a. Now to start the ST.

31. Cornish Pasty
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Just finished Monday’s, took ages to get 10a until realized it was *******. Last clue done was 22a, no idea why , obvious once got it, was not thinking it was ****** I suppose.

• Posted September 2, 2013 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Please don’t comment on the detail of one puzzle in the thread for another as it can spoil the enjoyment for those who have not yet looked at it.