Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

I struggled with parts of this, this morning, not helped by putting the more obvious (to me) but wrong ending to the first word at 31a.

1. Distinctions that have to be fought for (6,7)
{BATTLE HONOURS} – The sort of distinctions that were emblazoned on a regiments colours after the late 1700s.

10. Up in arms (7)
{RAMPANT} – A word that can mean unrestrained or violent, is also a heraldic pose, where an animal stands on its hind legs with its forelegs extended.

11. One’s health-giving cooking device (7)
{TOASTER} – Someone who drinks to your health is also a device for cooking bread.

12. Well-established business (4)
{FIRM} – Double definition, securely fixed in place, or a commercial enterprise.

13. Churned up mud at starting line (5)
{DATUM} – An anagram (churned up) of MUD AT.

14. Hold a strong position (4)
{KEEP} – To retain possession of, or a castle stronghold.

17. Near understanding? (7)
{INSIGHT} – A word that describes penetrating mental discernment for example, could also when split (2,5) describe something that is close enough to be seen.

18. It provides no latitude for the navigator (7)
{EQUATOR} – Because it has a latitude of 0 degrees.

19. Graduate and get dead drunk (4,3)
{PASS OUT} – Getting your degree could also describe losing consciousness.

22. A graduate ordered don to clear off (7)
{ABSCOND} – A Bachelor of Science with an anagram (ordered) of DON added.

24. Pet duck (4)
{LOVE} – A word that means showing affection, is also a 0.

25. Riddle — what was the craft of the Jumblies? (5)
{SIEVE} – The Jumblies went to sea in it, whilst we would use it to separate lumps from powdered material.

26. Drive away from Soho (4)
{SHOO} – An anagram (from) of SOHO.

29. One may peg out playing it (7)
{CROQUET} – An outdoor game where you hit wooden balls through hoops.

30. Polish female to ring back (7)
{SHELLAC} – Take a pronoun used to refer to a girl or a woman, and then add a reversed (back) word that means to communicate by telephone to get a type of thin varnish.

31. Result of choosing the wrong type for the job? (8,5)
{PRINTERS ERROR} – Might produce a problem in a book, journal or newspaper for example.

2. Possibly dreams about one getting honours (7)
{ADMIRES} – An anagram (possibly) of DREAMS around I (one).

3. A drop of drink, right? (4)
{TEAR} – a drop of eye fluid can be made from a drink followed by an R (right).

4. Passage straight from the pamphlet (7)
{EXTRACT} – An excerpt from a literary work is EX (from) and another word for a leaflet.

5. Doubter is disposed to be intrusive (7)
{OBTRUDE} – An anagram (is disposed) of DOUBTER.

6. Test centre where players try to stay in shape (4)
{OVAL} – A cricket ground in south London where Surrey play, is also egg shaped.

7. The only thing a defeated army can beat (7)
{RETREAT} – By making a withdrawal.

8. Driving force (7,6)
{TRAFFIC POLICE} – Are also known as the Highway Patrol in the USA.

9. Drama students are resolute (8,2,3)
{PREPARED TO ACT} – People who have studied theatre, could also be people who are ready to do something if necessary.

15. Radiant woman goes up West (5)
{AGLOW} – Take a Slavic woman’s name, reverse it and then add W to get a word that means softly bright.

16. Soundly ridicules appearance (5)
{GUISE} – A word that means to mock or make fun of sounds like a word that describes your aspect or semblance.

20. Various upsets requiring rescuer (7)
{SAVIOUR} – An anagram (upsets) of VARIOUS.

21. A gardener should get it up before it gets down (7)
{THISTLE} – By doing a spot of weeding.

22. Warns guides (7)
{ADVISES} – Double definition, to give notice, or to give counsel. Don’t the two definitions overlap somewhat?

23. Look after new hotel for a dramatic character (7)
{OTHELLO} – An anagram (new) of HOTEL with LO (look) placed after.

27. Go, but don’t go ahead (4)
{TURN} – A chance or opportunity is also a change of direction.

28. Look noble (4)
{PEER} – To gaze, or a member of the nobility.

The Quick crossword pun: (bridle} + {sweet} = {bridal suite}

Posted August 26, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Interesting offering today but got held up in the SE corner for ages and still don’t understand 16d. If the answer is Guise which describes appearance how does that sound like ridicules?
    11a made me smile and I can’t believe how long it took to get the anagram of Soho!
    Thx to the setter and to Libellule even if I don’t understand the explanation for 16d.

• Prolixic
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

The homophone is “guys”. To guy is to make fun of or ridicule.

• Brian
        Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Is it really, that’s a new one on me. Something to squirrel away for a rainy day crossword. Thx.

Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

A fun puzzle today and I agree with Libellule’s rating of **/***. I went one step worse than Libellule with the wrong finish and wrong start for the first word of 31a, putting Proofing Error as my first answer in. I also started to enter cribbage for 29a until I noticed the answer had only seven letters!

Like Brian I couldn’t get 16d even with the hint, so thank you Prolixic for your explanation. To guy is a new verb for me.

I liked all the long answers, but 9d was my favourite, and 25a made me smile..

Many thanks to the setter (Rufus?) and to Libellule.

• Libellule
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Rabbit Dave,
      Yes, its a Rufus… although surprisingly no Rufus in The Guardian today (maybe because its a bank holiday in the UK).

Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

He is in the FT – also available free on line

Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus – if it was you ! A nice start to a lovely sunny day. Managed to get 16d, but needed to check the with BRB for the 2nd meaning of “guy” – of which I have never heard. Many thanks Libellule for your hard work producing the review and hints.

4. Graham
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Like other’s I messed up on 31A & struggled with 16D apart from those this was a nice offering & a good start to the week Many thanks to libellule for the hints.

Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Enjoyable Monday stuff once again. Had to think a bit about the degree for 22a as we usually see the arts one. Embarrassing really as one of us has the right one. Tried to squeeze cribbage into 29a too. All good fun.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

6. jg
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

6d, very topical.

Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog jg.

• SheilaP
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

What a ridiculous ending to what went on at the Oval yesterday, don’t you think?

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I would use a stronger but unprintable description rather than ridiculous.

• tonyjoe
          Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Why?. Bad light stopped play as per conditions!

• SheilaP
            Posted August 26, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

They play cricket with the lights on. Just change the colour of the ball to a white one in a similar condition.

• stanXYZ
          Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Mate, it would’ve been a travesty if England had won the Fifth Test!

Remember their time-wasting tactics when it wasn’t raining!

Strewth!

(Liked 6d! :wink:)

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted August 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

StanXYZ and Tonyjoe, you are both absolutely right, but that doesn’t stop the current regulations regarding bad light (which the umpires correctly applied) being completely idiotic.

7. Clarky
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Back to the morning routine today and found this one reasonably straightforward, for a change!
    Also struggled with 31a but down to a simple error with the ending of 22d. I had a vague recollection of the meaning of guy, so with the u and s in place that went in. I liked 8d and 22a in particular.
    Thanks to setter and Libellule.

8. angel
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

**/**. Reassuring to know my problems similar to those of several above commentators – e.g. 16d (new to me) and 31a (also wrong ending for 1st word). Surely 10a is more ‘out of control’ rather then “up in arms” as with lion?!

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Angel, as Libellule has put in his hint, rampant can have two meanings: a rampant lion in the jungle could be considered as violent or out of control, but in heraldry a rampant lion is one depicted with his forepaws raised, e.g. on a coat of arms.

9. MichaelP
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Isn’t the hint for 16d the wrong way round? The answer is a word meaning appearance that sounds like mockery. Apart from the struggle with that one I managed the rest
    **/***

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Michael, I think the hint for 16d is fine – a word meaning to mock (“guys”) sounds like the answer (“guise”).

• MichaelP
        Posted August 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I agree it makes sense either way. It was just my (incorrect) assumption that the first bit of the hint defined the answer and the rest was the explanation. No problem, I got there in the end.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted August 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Indeed. If A is a homophone of B, then B must be a homophone of A!

10. BigBoab
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for an enjoyable start to the week as usual and to Libellule for the usual impeccable review.

Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the review and hints. Just couldn’t get on the setter’s wavelength today. Only got one of the long clues, 31a,but got the wrong ending to the first word. Needed 13 hints to finish and had to look 8 of them up. Favourite was 31a. Was 4*/3* for me.

12. jezza
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

As always on a Monday, a slow solve for me, but some good stuff in this one! Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

13. SheilaP
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Like crosswords with long answers on all 4 sides very much. I don’t think the homophone for 16 down is used much nowadays. Thank you to setter & hinter.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Agreed – although I’ve read that verb to ridicule, I’ve never heard anyone speak it.

14. neveracrossword
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I started out thinking this was quite difficult but once I’d established a bridgehead it seemed straightforward. A glance at 22d confirmed that the first word of 31a had to end in “s”.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

That wouldn’t have helped me. I would have put Proofer’s Error if I had done 22d first :-( It was only when I got 27d that I realised the error of my ways.

15. Miffypops
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

This was a thouroughly pleasant start to puzzling week. I wanted 29ac to be crib or cribbage (Which I played against Martin today drawing six games apiece). 13 ac is a word I only know because is is carved into the ground in Coventry City centre’s upper precinct commemorating the levelling mark from which all measurements for the rebuilding of Coventry after WW2 were taken.
    happy Bank Holiday to one and all. ta to Rufus and to Libellule. I wonder if The Jumblies ever met The Pobble?

16. Bluebird
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Away not doing crosswords for over a week and it shows.
    My solution was egg cup shaped and because I never got 1a, I struggled with the place where the egg should sit!

I didn’t like it much and I thought there were too many synonyms/allusions/ general knowledge for my holiday-addled brain.

Will try to tone up in the next few days. I wonder if it’s the alcohol?

17. angel
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

OK Rabbit Dave, thanks. You convince me that 10a can have two different meanings, in particular when referring to my birth sign!

18. Toadson
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle – needed the hint to fully understand 10a.

19. Collywobbles
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I found this a little more difficult than the normal Monday Rufus and would give it 3*/4* but the enjoyment was up to standard. Thanks to Libellule for the hints which I sorely needed and to Rufus for a slightly more difficult puzzle

Posted August 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Another good start to the week. The second meaning to 13a is new to me, always good to learn something new. Otherwise, pretty straightforward and fun. Last in was 31a. Thanks setter and hinter.

21. Outnumbered
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Really struggled with this, got one wrong and five other intersecting clues incomplete (all clues where there was no real wordplay to help out, just DDs or cryptic defns, a problem I often have with this setter)
    Would never have got 16d anyway!

22. Derek
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable start to the week from Rufus – many thanks!

Aside from the peripheral 14-letter jobs my faves are : 18a & 21d.

25a provided happy memories of Edward Lear!

Weather still summery here in NL!

23. chas
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Couln’t get the bottom RHS corner because I had ABANDON, not the right word. All finished now.

Posted August 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog chas.

• Miffypops
        Posted August 27, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

I put abandon in too to begin with but was always unhappy with the extra N. The down clue solves showed the error.

24. Jewel
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Well I had rampart for the answer to 10a and I quite like it!

25. una
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I’d put at *** fo difficulty.I still don’t get how the clue in 21d leads to thistle.Still, there were many very good clues, including 6d. Thanks to Libellule and Rufus.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted August 27, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Thistle-down contains the seeds, hence the gardener should remove the thistle before it seeds, was how we saw it. :)
      Cheers

• una
        Posted August 27, 2013 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Quite complicated ! Thank you .

26. Catnap
    Posted August 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Like Brian, Rabbit Dave & others, 16d is new to me. I couldn’t get it even with the hint! I also struggled with 3d, having misinterpreted the clue entirely — putting ‘r’ into an alcoholic measure & getting the legal word for ‘wrong’ (‘right?’). I knew I was wrong but it took ages until the penny dropped. DOH! Thanks to Rufus for a very enjoyable puzzle & to Libellule for his elucidations. **/*** for me.