Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

After yesterday’s debate about the identity of the setter we can be pretty certain that this is by Giovanni. Normally I’d complain about the number of anagrams but some of them are so good, especially the wonderful 18a which must be a strong candidate for clue of the month, that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Let us know what you thought.
If you want to reveal an answer just highlight the gap between the brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

1a  It’s ‘ruined by the abrader’ ? (10)
{THREADBARE} – this is a sort of semi-all-in-one describing something that has been ruined by someone rubbing away at it. It’s an anagram (ruined) of THE ABRADER.

6a  Capital city that is held by king very briefly (4)
{KIEV} – the abbreviation for ‘that is’ is held between a king in chess notation and a brief V(ery).

10a  Trainee given whip, having collected low exam grades (5)
{CADET} – a type of whip with two low exam grades inside it.

11a  Cocoa I’ll have initially drunk — I really want the harder stuff! (9)
{ALCOHOLIC} – an anagram (drunk) of COCOA I’LL H(ave).

12a  Like someone wearing tartan  unable to act? (2,5)
{IN CHECK} – double definition, the second meaning restrained or held back.

13a  One who is sleeping won’t be doing much for the business (7)
{PARTNER} – cryptic definition of someone who, if he or she is sleeping, has money invested in a business but plays no part in running it.

14a  Promising to study quietly inside when there’s heavy stuff to digest (5,7)
{BREAD PUDDING} – a present participle meaning promising or up-and-coming has inside it a verb to study (especially at university) and the musical abbreviation meaning quietly.

18a  Pursuit of public schoolboys with abnormally low mental age (4,4,4)
{ETON WALL GAME} – the sporting activity that Dave, Boy George and their chums got up to at their public school is an anagram (abnormally) of LOW MENTAL AGE. Brilliant!

21a  Get flung around in middle of mess produced by floods (7)
{ENGULFS} – an anagram (around) of FLUNG is inserted between the two middle letters of (m)ES(s).

23a  Port sending granite abroad (7)
{TANGIER} – an anagram (sending … abroad) of GRANITE.

24a  One holds booze in chest protected by electronic sounding device (9)
{BARKEEPER} – this is a mainly US term for what we would call a publican or licensee. A chest (a container rather than the Dolly Parton appendage) goes inside (protected by) an electronic device that’s used as an alerter.

25a  Indian people invading mountain castle (5)
{INCAS} – hidden (invading) in the clue.

26a  Part of actor‘s register in speech (4)
{ROLE} – this sounds (in speech) like a register or official list.

27a  Navy led by head that’s friend acting like a father (10)
{PATERNALLY} – the abbreviation for our navy is preceded by an old word for a head and followed by a synonym for a friend or comrade.

Down Clues

1d  Sort of expert breaking the ice (6)
{TECHIE} – an anagram (breaking) of THE ICE gives us an informal term, often used derogatively, for an expert.

2d  Edit revolutionary piece of legislation (6)
{REDACT} – a charade of an informal term for a left-wing revolutionary and a piece of legislation.

3d  Taking a direct line with sales force needing to be sorted out (2,3,4,5)
{AS THE CROW FLIES} – an anagram (needing to be sorted out) of WITH SALES FORCE.

4d  Be without post after First in Biochemistry? It’s a crime! (9)
{BLACKMAIL} – the first letter of B(iochemistry) is followed by a phrase (4,4) indicating that the postman has no need to call on you.

5d  In summary, harvest has been interrupted by cold (5)
{RECAP} – a verb to harvest one’s crop has C(old) inserted.

7d  Unfortunate home — middle of floor is in a state (8)
{ILLINOIS} – to get this US state we have to string together a) an adjective meaning unfortunate or adverse, b) the adverb meaning at home, c) the middle letter of floor and d) IS (from the clue).

8d  There’s little good in dreadful avarice evident in minister’s home (8)
{VICARAGE} – the abbreviation (little) for good goes inside an anagram (dreadful) of AVARICE.

9d  Irishmen did not get confused by modern TV feature exciting viewers? (5,9)
{THIRD DIMENSION} – an anagram (get confused) of IRISHMEN DID NOT produces what you are promised from the latest TV technology (as long as you’re prepared to wear a set of goggles that make you look like a 1d).

15d  Gape naughtily, having got there after flipping? (4,5)
{PAGE THREE} – far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth! An all-in-one clue with the answer coming from an anagram (naughtily) of GAPE followed by the result of reversing (flipping) two letters in the word ‘there’.

16d  Pay tribute to soldiers, joined by MP maybe (8)
{REMEMBER} – a particularly appropriate clue this week. The abbreviation for the Royal Engineers is followed by an elected representative (MP).

17d  Older egg is bad? Nonsense! (8)
{DOGGEREL} – nonsense verse comes from an anagram (is bad) of OLDER EGG.

Hogamus, higamus
Men are polygamous;
Higamus, hogamus
Women, monogamous

19d  Public revenue’s beginning to fail — is serenity curtailed? (6)
{FISCAL} – the ‘s is important here since this is an adjective meaning relating to public revenue. The beginning of F(ail) is followed by IS (from the clue) and a word meaning serenity without its final M (curtailed).

20d  Day the heavens may appear to be lively (6)
{FRISKY} – an abbreviated day of the week followed by another word for heavens.

22d  Brown bit of flower cut short, one inside (5)
{SEPIA} – a part of a flower loses its final L (cut short) and I (one) gets inserted.

Lots of good clues – I’ll select 15d and 16d but my favourite is 18a. Let us know what you liked.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {GNOME} + {HATTER} = {NO MATTER}

1. gazza
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Crypticsue has gone off on a pub-crawl but before setting out she left the following Toughie tip:
    Elkamere makes you work hard but is a most enjoyable exercise in demonstrating the value of perservation.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

More of an extremely enjoyable yomp through the woods and a half pint of Late Red and a black pudding sarnie in one pub, but then asking gazza to pass on your toughie tip always leads to him casting nasturtiums about my drinking habits :D

• Franco
        Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

“Methinks, the Lady doth protest too much! ”

or is it …

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

Black Pudding Sandwich? Sounds good! Mmmm!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Lovely white bread, black pudding, bacon, mango chutney, and raw onion – delicious, and served with a smile by son no 2 who is working at our local saving up for his next travelling, to South America in the Spring.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Sounds as if you’ve had a good day then – not so sure about the white bread with black pudding – the rest sounds lovely! Also not so sure about a younger offspring heading off again – I know that I would HATE it – think you’re very brave about it!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Always white bread with black pudding and/or bacon. My friend (who treated me to lunch) used to be the landlady and I used to work there and we made more of those sandwiches than you’ve had hot dinners. Wouldn’t have brown with that combo or even bacon on its own.

We heard some wonderful lines in our time Us: would you like brown or white bread with that? Reply ‘what’s the difference’. Another time the reply was ‘I’ll have half of shandy then’.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Just reminds me of Pooh Bear – “Would you like honey or condensed milk with your bread?” “Both please, and then, so as not to sound greedy – but please don’t don’t bother about the bread!” With apologies to A. A. Milne because I’m sure that’s not absolutely right!!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I have just checked in the World of Pooh (which just happens to be on a bookshelf near the computer) and your version is not as you say absolutely right but 1a in today’s Toughie :D

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

OK – give in!! If you think that I would even LOOK at a Friday Toughie you must be having a laugh! Damn – will now have to go and look at the hint (and the answer). Going to bed – absolutely knackered – people here for supper last night and we didn’t get to bed until about 1.30am which is too late for a week night.

Night, night all. zzzzzzzzzzzz very soon.

• Qix
                      Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

You should look at today’s Toughie. It’s much more rewarding to solve than most crosswords.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Just looked! :grin: Really am going to bed now!!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

2*/4* from me too. Very enjoyable, but over too quickly. I liked 18a as well.
    Thanks to both Giovanni, and Gazza.

Back to the toughie struggle!

3. gnomethang
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Thanks for the review – I fair ripped through this but am struggling with the Toughie. Thanks to Giovanni as well.

4. Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Much easier and more enjoyable than yesterday. Maybe that’s because I have an easier day! As soon as I put 15d in I thought there might be a suitable picture in the blog. I agree with the ** and **** BD rating. Regds to all

5. Colmce
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle had to do a bit of thinking but got there in the end, needed the hints for 14a to explain wordplay.

Thanks to Gazza for review and to the setter.

Typo in quickie pun?

Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Thanks – fixed now. Good to know that somebody reads it!

6. Only fools
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thought I was going to struggle until I realised quite how many anagrams there were .still brought a few smiles .2.5*\ 3.5* for me .

Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Found this difficult – which confirms my amateur status ! – but nevertheless enjoyable. The clues seem rather long and confused me appropriately.

Thank you setter and Gazza for your review and your photo at 15d and 12a as well !

• Roger
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I also used to struggle with those types of clues. The penny dropped when I realised, as you probably have, that all the little bits of clue provide tiny parts of the solution. An ‘eg’ here, an ‘is’ there. What works for me is to try and identify some that are pretty obvious and jot them down, play around with their positioning and see if anything gels.

8. rmebrown
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Strange obsession with 18a today. it’s a anagram, but not as good as 3d, for example.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Hi rmebrown – welcome to the blog.

• Janecd
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

3D was my favourite too. Managed to finished without any BD help today (doesn’t happen often). Had first word wrong in 14A though. Must try harder

9. Mikey-Mike
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Liked this as it was the first I’ve completed without help from Big Dave and mates. Like others, I thought 18a was delightful. Thanks for the enjoyable illustrations.

10. Roger
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Brilliant crossword. It was along long way down the clues before I got nary a sniff and at one point in time I really thought that I was going to have to let it go unsolved. Yup..it was that bad for me ! But then an epiphany and a few clues dropped…then a few more..and all done fairly sharpish. Motto …never despair!

Favourite clues 3 and 15. Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza

11. skempie
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

The Don delivers again. I always look forward to Friday and the Don’s offering and today is no exception. Some very clever clues that required a fair bit of thinking about, even the anagrams! 18A was good, but I preferred 1D and 3D anagramwise, my favourite today has to be 14A as my dad used to make a wonderful version of it that used to last for ages – never found anyone who could make it as well as him.
    Looking forward to an afternoon of rugby, recording the England match (as Mrs Skempie will want to see that) and watching the Wales game. Just love Wales’ new training plan – get put into a room set at -120C for 15-20 mins to get the cardio-vascular system working and then get told that if they loose, they’re going back in.

• skempie
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Oh well, just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read in the papers. The insert in today’s sport section has the fixture lists and listed under TODAY states EnglandvFiji 2:30, WalesvArgentina 2:30 etc etc. Actually, its should be listed under TOMORROW. Grrrrr

Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I did wonder whether you were in some sort of time warp. :D

• skempie
          Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Don’t know about time warp, but there are times when I feel that I’m on a different planet to others (was reading yesterday that the BBC wouldn’t allow Brian Cox to broadcast from a radio antenna pointing at a newly discovered planet before they’d completed a healthy and safety assessment in case the aliens swore on live TV)

• collywobbles
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Ditto for everything above

12. Franny
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

My brain doesn’t seem to be working today, so I’m afraid I didn’t enjoy this. I struggled with the anagrams, unusually, and needed so much dictionary and electronic help for the rest that it was not much fun. Sorry. But thanks as always to G&G. :-(

• albatross
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Glad to know it wasn’t just me! My experience was identical to yours.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I found this more difficult than 2* but I nearly always do on Fridays – more of a 3* and 4* for enjoyment. I get very bogged down with some of Giovanni’s clues but know that eventually I will get there and that they are always fair and ‘doable’ with lateral thinking and a lot of ‘perservation’!
    Today the ones that had me in a muddle were 14a, 18a (I’ve never heard of it so had to wait to get lots of letters in) 21 and 24a for no obvious reason. 3d took me ages as I was thinking more of plain speaking than the bird. I don’t really know what 9d is so that was another one that needed to wait until I had other letters.
    Lots of good clues so I’ll just pick a few – 18a and 3, 15 and 20d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.

14. eXternal
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Quality puzzle from Giovanni as ever. 18A was my favourite, he must have been pleased to find that. Elkamere equally as good, a very impressive day for Telegraph puzzles.

• Qix
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Agreed on all counts. 18a is a great find.

15. Wozza
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

3*/4* for me and agree 18a was excellent. No doubt it was a DG but I was taken aback when I got an email alert from BD at 630 this morning with a review for a Ray T… Was it just me?

thanks to both.

W

• gnomethang
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I got that as well but it was for a rather old one. More evidence of time warps!

16. soldier
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable puzzle, Giovanni never seems to fail.

I was messing about trying to fit pal around the senior service on 27a for a while before the penny dropped. Amazing that even when you sometimes know the answer you can’t seem to see what’s staring you in the face!

Many thanks to both Giovanni, for another enjoyable puzzle, and Gazza for some happy memories “a picture paints a thousand words”.

On parade Sunday, glad to see the setter hasn’t forgotten that “we will …….. them”.

17. soldier
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Shame that 9d couldn’t have been put in at 3d!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Good one!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Wow – what a great comment – SO wish that I had thought of it! As it was it took me ten minutes to understand my answer to 9d and at least another five to understand your comment! :sad:
      Having understood it all, finally, I’ve just quoted your comment to husband as an example of JUST how smart you all are in this clever place! Full of admiration! :smile:

• Franco
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

soldier, I’ve been thinking about your comment all day! Finally – I understand! :smile:

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Oh good – not just me being slow then! :smile: Wonderful comment, wasn’t it?

Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle, not easy in places but as ever with Giovanni, always fair. All you need is there in the clue. Finished without help so probably not one of his most difficult but very enjoyable nonetheless.

19. MikeT
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Struggled with SW corner. Giovanni’s clues invariably test me, but are always fair and make for an enjoyable puzzle. I particularly liked the wordplay in 15D and I knew Gazza would have to find a picture for that one. Whatever happened to Sam Fox?

• Ian
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Wikipedia makes interesting reading! Untypical Giovanni today as there were no obscure proper nouns or names – thankfully. Great puzzle and blog, thanks.

20. Chris
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Loved 18a – what an elegant clue!

21. Little Dave
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

My first post! I love this website. Well done to everyone involved. Unusually I was flying today, with everything going well in the top half and SE corner. Then 22d came to me in a flash. Petal without the L and inserting an I gives you Pieta and Pieta Brown is a singer. That must be right – especially as it fits with 27a.. Wrong! And of course that made 21a impossible. My answer even worked with Gazza’s hint!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Little Dave – welcome to the blog.
      Could I ask you to choose another alias? We already have a regular commenter called Little Dave and having two with the same alias would be a recipe for confusion.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Yes of course.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Sweet! :smile: It really is a great blog.

22. Beaver
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Brilliant fare today,bit of a scatter gun approach as i picked the clues off-not very methodical today as it took a while to get onto the setters wavelength Gave it a ***/****as it was so clever.Thanks to setter and Gazza for 15d, Miss Fox,i’d recognise that face anywhere.

23. Wayne
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Gazza, interested in your explanation for 15d (yes I do read all of the review), I got ‘three’ by considering it a simple anagram of ‘there’. Is flipping a recognised anagram indicator? Would appreciate your view on that.
    With regard to the crossword, I found the anagrams very helpful in getting me started, I always look for anagrams before getting to the meat of the crossword. As others have posted, plenty of good clues, best for me being 27a ( a non-anagram).
    Thanx to Compiler and to Gazza for his review.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

‘Flipping’ is not in the list of anagram indicators in Chambers Crossword Dictionary (but that’s not saying a great deal). I did consider it being an anagram but thought it more likely that Giovanni was just flipping round two letters.

• Wayne
        Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

OK, thank you.

24. ChrisH
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Fairly gentle end-of-week puzzle and quite enjoyable. **/**** for me.
    A bit late in the day, but now for the Toughie!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable start to a day off, thank you Giovanni and gazza too. I was just amazed at the number of opportunities for illustrations given to the latter by the former in this puzzle. 15d was my favourite.

26. Digby
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

All done without help, though I solved 19d by inserting the initial letter of the final 4 words in the clue and simply ignoring where the AL came from.
    Thanks for clearing that up Gazza, and to the Don for a most enjoyable work-out.

27. Annidrum
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Took me a while to get into this ,but then suddenly it fell into place but didn’t know 18a and asked Mr A if he knew of a “note”, “tone” wall game !!! So he put me right . Loved the puzzle but what really made me lol was your comment at 9d gazza . Needed your hint to understand the answer to 14a. Thanks to Giovanni & gazza.

Posted November 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

A really good puzzle that took us 3* time to complete. Favourite clue was 15d which had humour that we usually associate with yesterday’s setter.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

29. Little Dave
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Oi! Little Dave here. The original one….great puzzle which I would rate as 3* – loved 18a but could not get “bartender” out of my head for 24a. 19d also good. Have a good weekend everyone.

30. Hrothgar
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

For some reason it won’t download to my IPad3. My settings are same as always.
    I have a crossword App.
    Apart, really enjoyable.
    Many thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

31. gazza
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

So, where’s Mary today?

Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Yes – I’ve been wondering about that too. Did she put in an official application for a holiday or has she gone AWOL again?
      Where are you, Mary? Come back – all is forgiven!

32. Derek
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable puzzle from The Don.

Faves : 14a, 18a, 15d & 20d.

Gazza – the kilt is a masculine dress – how dare you show a bird in your picture for 12a!

Some of us solvers may be old but we are watching you like a hawk!!!

Posted November 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

The clue says tartan, not kilt. Anyway, did you want to see a picture of a hairy Scotsman?

Posted November 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s. I’m a bit late completing this, but it was very enjoyable. Agree with Gazza’s star ratings. Favourites were 14&18a and 15d..

34. una
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

couldn’t get on the radar yesterday ,tried it tonight and (most) of it fell into place. Really good clues I liked 19d and3d 20d.