Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** - Enjoyment ***

Lovely weather here in the Loire at the moment, and an equally pleasant crossword to start the week.

The answers can be revealed by highlighting the space between the curly brackets.

1. Arranged priests to take saucy examination (5-6)
{STRIP SEARCH} – An anagram (arranged) of PRIESTS followed by a synonym for mischievous or roguish produces the type of examination where you need to remove your clothes.

9. No curates should take her out (9)
{COURTESAN} – Another anagram this time of NO CURATES.

10. Sign of resistance in Spanish port (5)
{VIRGO} – Put R into a city port found in North West Spain for the sixth sign of the zodiac.

11. Passes out at college (6)
{EXEATS} – Not a word that you run into on a regular basis, but something you might want to try and drop into a conversation. A term, that means “leave of absence from school or some other institution” pluralised.

12. They won’t stand for their instruments being played (8)
{CELLISTS} – People who play a four-stringed musical instrument of the violin family that is pitched lower than the viola but higher than the double bass.

13. Inventor having no team backing (6)
{EDISON} – Reverse one of two or more contesting factions and NO for an inventor who invented the phonograph.

15. Official ceremony that means work (8)
{FUNCTION} – Double definition, a formal social occasion, or an assigned duty or activity.

18. I am getting stout as a businessman (8)
{IMPORTER} – IM plus another word for a dark sweet ale brewed from black malt is the sort of businessman who brings in goods or materials from a foreign country to sell.

19. Popular with nurse, so propose! (6)
{INTEND} – A word that means to propose or plan, is made from IN (popular) and another word that means to care or look after.

21. Rev up? (3,5)
{SKY PILOT} – A slang term for a member of the clergy, especially a chaplain in one of the military services.

23. Horse on hire, having been broken (6)
{HEROIN} – An anagram (having been broken) of ON HIRE is a hard drug sometimes referred to by the slang term horse.

26. Tell everyone Ann lost weight (5)
{OUNCE} – Remove ANN from a word that means to make known publicly, to get a unit of weight equal to one sixteenth of a pound.

27. What figures neat girls may display (9)
{TRIANGLES} – An anagram (may display) of NEAT GIRLS.

28. Time of year when the daffodils come out (2,6,3)
{ST DAVIDS DAY} – The feast day of the patron saint of Wales.

1. Conceal confidential note (7)
{SECRETE} – A word for hidden or confidential is followed by E (note) for a word that means to place something in a hiding place.

2. Disturb with sound arguments (5)
{ROUSE} – A word that sounds like ROWS is a synonym for disturb.

3. Poet excited with fruit cake (5,4)
{PETIT FOUR} – An anagram (excited) of POET and FRUIT is also a small ornamented cake.

4. Some conversed in Gaelic (4)
{ERSE} – Another name for Irish Gaelic can be found inside the word conversed.

5. Fell Race entrant who didn’t win? (6-2)
{RUNNER-UP} – Someone who comes in second place could also be someone who does mountain running and hill running.

6. Poor house for student near Brighton (5)
{HOVEL} – A seaside resort west of Brighton plus L (student).

7. Pops round to unload guilt (5,2)
{DROPS IN} – To visit someone informally and spontaneously could also mean to “unload guilt” if it was spelt (4,3)

8. Influence of converted priest, say, is mounting (8)
{PRESTIGE} – An anagram (converted) of PRIEST with E.G. (say) reversed.

14. The little devil! Telling stories and making insinuations (8)
{IMPLYING} – A three letter word for a small demon, is followed by a word that means “characterised by untruth” produces a word that means to express or indicate indirectly.

16. Implicated — and worried? (9)
{CONCERNED} – Double definition. Culpably involved or feeling or showing worry.

17. Left in rush, but made statement (8)
{REPORTED} – Place the nautical term for left inside another word for a kind of tall grass that grows on wet or marshy ground to get a word that could describe having presented a formal account.

18. A sailor can’t be far out with such navigation (7)
{INSHORE} – In fact the sailor is actually close to land.

20. Power line that may last for many years (7)
{DYNASTY} – A succession of rulers from the same family or line.

22. One can’t imagine being without them (5)
{IDEAS} – These are mental thoughts or conceptions.

24. Looked to go up, then went ahead (5)
{OGLED} – A word that means to look at someone amorously or lustfully is a reversed (up) GO followed by a word that means to show the way to by going in front.

25. Weekend I’ve arranged in Russian city (4)
{KIEV} – The last letter of week then an anagram (arranged) of IVE.

The Quick crossword pun: {brock} + {holly} = {broccoli}

1. Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable again. I thought last Monday’s to be a little tricky, but here Rufus is back to his best with only one uncommon word (11A0. I particularly enjoyed 25D.

2. mary
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle from an amazingly sun soaked West Wales, we have had the most beautiful weather over the lats three days or so, thus my abscence from the blog, I have been doing the crosswords early on and spending time in the sun, once again the sky is a cloudless blue and it is very warm already, thanks for the hints Libelulle there were two I was stuck on today, well one I couldn’t do and the other I couldn’t ‘see’ , 11a I had never heard of and 17d I stupidly couldn’t see! three fav clues today 26a, 25a (best fav) and 28a, although there have been so many years when the daffodils have not lifted their heads by then!! It is so good to be able to sit in the sun to do the crossword and at 9am in March!! :-D

• mary
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

sorry that should be 25d

• collywobbles1
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Mary,
        Pay attention. You should be there on Saturdays. Your absence was noted. at least but I’m glad that you are back now
        Gentle warm weather here in the Languedoc and summer seems to be around the corner.
        Crossword very enjoyable but have not finished it yet

• mary
          Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Hi collywobs, thanks I am paying attention :-D

• collywobbles1
            Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Good girl

• collywobbles1
              Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I would give this 3* at least. What a start to the week

• mary
              Posted March 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

But if the weather stays like this my visits may be brief!!! :-)

Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Glad you thought it was a 2 star for difficulty, I thought parts were very tricky, not a nice start to the week at all. I hope this doesn’t presage another bad week like the last one.

• Brian
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Perhaps I’m missing something but what has prestige got to do with influence 8d? Nothing in Chambers mentions or implies influence.

• mary
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Hi Brian, it is given as a synonym in CCD :-)

• Roland
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Hi Brian, In my copy of Chambers it says, “standing or ascendancy in people’s minds owing to associations, station, success etc” – which I think sounds synonymous with influence.

4. Roland
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Quite an enjoyable start to the week without it being too testing. However, one or two that slowed me up – 10a, sign of resistance, couldn’t get Omega out of my head, 23a, never heard of horse as a slang term for heroin, and 27a, it’s also an anagram of integrals, which is what I had entered until none of the crossing words worked! **/***. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

• Colmce
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Horse under Water, Harry Palmer novel by Len Deighton, 1963

• Roland
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Thanks Colmce – I must add it to the growing list of novels I should have read but haven’t!

5. Colmce
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, a few little traps which I obligingly fell into, sorted it out in the end.
    We had 11a at school, not a good school just pretentious.
    Thanks to compiler, and Libellule for the review.

Normal weather returns to the SE, temp soaring under blue skies.

• mary
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

glad you have the sunshine back at least you haven’t atolen ours! :-D

• Jackie
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

weather report – here in Dubai, having suffered over a week of dust and wind, it rained (well tried to) today! Can’t remember when it last did that but at least it will settle the dust for a while.

• julian of ec4
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

So did we… usually for lunch on Fridays…

6. Birdie
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

No real problems today, although I too hadn’t heard of “horse” in that context, but put in the answer from the checking letters. I can’t see the anagram indicator at all for 9a – am I being dense?

Could we have the Quickie pun? I can’t get the first part and it’s infuriating me!

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• Roland
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

The first part is the given name for a badger in fables, as Reynard is to Fox for eg.

• Birdie
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thank you Roland. I didn’t know that, and what with “horse”, I’ve learned a couple of things today:)

• Senf
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Found this amazing site a few weeks ago, now decided to take the plunge and make a post from Texas. I think “out” is doing double duty with “take her’ as someone a curate should not date and as theanagram indicator, but somewhat remote from the words to be unscrambled. Thanks to all the “hinters.”

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Senf

I think this is an &Lit clue where the definition is given by the whole clue.

Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

You’re quite right, at least on one point!! This IS an amazing site. I’ve learnt so much in the two years since I found it. Everyone is very friendly and helpful – keep commenting. :smile:

Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

A perfect startt to the week from Rufus and thank you to him for avoiding that perishing cat when clueing 26a. Thanks to Libellule for the hints too. After freezinig yesterday, I am pleased to report that I took the right day off, the sun is shining and I have got so muich done this morning and am now able to sit in the sun and relax this afternoon.

• mary
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

enjoy sue, I am off to the botanical gardens soon :-D

8. alan
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Kiev is in the Ukraine, not Russia

• Libellule
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Alan,
      You are correct – I wonder how old the clue is?

9. Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

11a edged this towards 3* difficulty for me – 18d and 22d not very cryptic otherwise very enjoyable start to the week. Many thanks.

10. Paul Mayers
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today; not too taxing. 21a is vaguely familiar, although having served seven years in the Royal Navy, I never came across it. Something I do remember: since the Chaplain is billetted in the Wardroom and wears an officer’s uniform, I once asked him what rank he was. His reply was; “The same rank as the person I am speaking to at the time”. Happy position to be in, I suppose; a luxury I’ve never enjoyed!
    Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Your change of name sent your comment into moderation!

• Libellule
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Thats possibly because its more of an Americanism, I have heard the phrase before from MASH.

11. Jackie
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable start to the week although I must admit that 21a had me waiting for the hints – never heard of that description before. No real favourites, they were all quite fun.

12. Roger
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

As others have said..very pleasurable and with the excellent hints here, got the last few.

One niggle. Setter…please get an up-to-date atlas. Kiev is the capital of Ukraine. Says he who is of 50% Ukrainian stock and so entitled to be at least a little peeved !!

13. Droopyh
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Great Monday lunchtime – thanks to Rufus and Libellule. I put integrals for 27a which didn’t help!

• Roland
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

yep, same here.

14. BigBoab
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rufus for a nice wee crossword, very enjoyable and not too taxing. Thanks also to Libellule for the review and hints. I agree with Roger however, Kiev is in the Ukraine , a justly proud independent country in its own right.

15. Steve_the_beard
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

What a pleasant start to the week – thanks to Rufus and Libellule. 23A was my last in, but 1A and 9A went in very quickly, how strange :-)

As Colmce wrote above, Deighton’s “Horse Under Water” is an excellent thriller, and well worth a read.

Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Started off rather badly by putting “get going” for 21a – oh dear!! Then realised that that corner wasn’t going too well and there had to be a reason for it. Sorted that one out but still couldn’t get the dreaded 21a and had to use the hint – I’ve never heard of the expression. The rest went well. Favourites include 1a and 6 and 14d. With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Another lovely day – off for dog walk then gardening.

17. dryburgh
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Apart from initially going off completely on the wrong track with 8d, which held me up a bit, I thoroughly enjoyed this puzzle. I remembered that horse = heroin from Len Deighton’s “Horse Under Water”, quite a feat of memory as I read it years ago. Many thanks to Rufus (? – compiler) and Libelulle.

18. Lea
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

That’s the first Monday puzzle I have done for quite a while and it took me a bit of time to get on the right wavelength. Didn’t know 21a so thanks for that Libellule. I did know 11a so guess that might make up for it. 27a was the first one I put in (and I got it right first off). An enjoyable puzzle on a bveautiful sunny day.

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule

19. beaver
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Agreed a gentle and enjoyable start to the week,just about **and then***,last in was 11a,knew it was ex-something,couldnt get my mind off exeunts -sort of a pass,or direction to leave the stage -would’nt fit anyway – eventually found salvation in the dictionary!
    Did the Sunday Teleghaph for a change-it was such a lovely day,sat outside with a bottle of ‘ fizzy’ pink pinot-just the job.

20. Derek
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Good fare to start the week from The Jolly Roger once again!

Liked : 1a, 11a, 21a, 28a, 3d, 18d, 20d & 24d.

28a was clearly for Mairi mhath (Mary) as usual!

Weather here in NL is fantastic.

Libellule – I always carry a good stock of Loire wines mainly reds even though my main love is for Burgundy and for rosé the Var. Of course with roast lamb one must drink Pauillac!

• Libellule
      Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Derek,
      I personally prefer whites, but the odd bottle of red always goes down well.

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Personally, I always prefer Young’s Special with Lamb.

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Not Black Sheep !!??

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Not in this weather – far too heavy. Must admit, today I’ll be partaking in a rather nice vintage – Thatchers 2011 vintage cider. Absolutely yummy but doesn’t go with lamb at all (which is why I’m having a salad).

• Captain Duff
        Posted March 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Youngs, the Wandsworth brewery. I used to have a flat in Wandsworth many years ago. Their pub next to the brewery was called The Ram Inn until pressure from the PC brigade no doubt forced it to change the name to the Brewery Tap.

21. wingnut
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Nice start to week. Last to go was 11a after a struggle – comprehensive education showing there no doubt. Several other new things leant (forgotten by tomorrow!) – new definition for horse and and a (military) cleric. Liked 1a and 9a.

22. St. George
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Good start for me too, finished all but 11A thanks to BD.

23. Annidrum
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this exactly easy to-day but got there eventually . I never heard of 11a but crossword solver helped and I’m really kicking myself for not remembering that Rev. having come across it quite a few times in the past year and a half (well maybe at least twice) but isn’t it said that you need to come across something 8 times for it to sink in properly?
    Fantastic couple of days here in Cantabria too.
    Thanks to Rufus & Libellule

24. Edward Bear
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

25d its in Ukraine not Russia

25. Toadson
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Like some others, I was held up by a couple of clues today. Let’s see what the rest of the week brings!