Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

An entertaining crossword (as usual) from Rufus this morning. Perhaps a little trickier than normal with some of the clues 7d,8d,13d requiring a bit more lateral thinking.

If you need to see the answer just highlight the space between the curly brackets.

1. Not against roughing up an opponent (10)
{ANTAGONIST} – An anagram (roughing up) of NOT AGAINST is also an adversary.

9. Ring Henry, love (4)
{HALO} – The definition is ring. Take a shortened form of the name Henry, and then add O (love).

10. Mixes drink for fund-raiser (6,4)
{JUMBLE SALE} – A sale of donated articles could when read as (7,3) be a collection of muddled beers.

11. Made up for having date wrong on the inside (6)
{ATONED} – An anagram (wrong) of DATE with ON inside is a word that means to make amends.

12. Have a cigarette and look happier (5,2)
{LIGHT UP} – A sort of double definition, to start smoking or to cause to become cheerful.

15. Sort of map to study on journey (7)
{CONTOUR} – A map that shows elevations and surface configurations by using lines that denote height is constructed from the standard crossword three letter word for study, followed by a synonym for a trip.

16. Scot returns to service somewhere in Scotland (5)
{NAIRN} – Reverse a Scottish name and then add the initials for the Senior Service to get a market town found east of Inverness.

17. Unspeakable acting! (4)
{MIME} – Exactly. To act using only gestures and body movement.

18. It’s bad form not to (4)
{FROM} – The opposite of to is an anagram (bad) of FORM.

19. Being the boss I may interrupt cook (5)
{CHIEF} – Place I inside a word for a professional cook.

21. Snow shoe accepted by some backward Arctic people (7)
{ESKIMOS} – Put a runner used for gliding over snow into a reversed SOME.

22. Tool for portions of lobster? (7)
{PINCERS} – A type of grasping tool is also what you would call the claws of a lobster.

24. Islander comes out of trance (6)
{CRETAN} – A Mediterranean islander is also an anagram (comes out of) TRANCE.

27. Hardcastle is converted in religious places (10)
{CATHEDRALS} – Another anagram (is converted) of HARDCASTLE.

28. Tread the stage (4)
{STEP} – Double definition, a single act of walking or one of a series of actions.

29. Helpful belief I can spread around (10)
{BENEFICIAL} – An anagram (spread around) of BELIEF I CAN is something that produces a positive result or is advantageous.

2. Identifying word as no French one (4)
{NOUN} – The part of speech used to identify something is NO plus the masculine French word for number one.

3. Some British submarines set up and spring a trap (6)
{AMBUSH} – Another word for a surprise attack can be found hidden backwards between the two words British submarines.

4. Ended series, having exceeded time allowed (7)
{OVERRUN} – You need a synonym for ended, and then another for a series to get a word that means to extend or last beyond a limit

5. I am taking mother up to Muslim leader (4)
{IMAM} – IM and a reversed two letter word for mother.

6. Thomas’s initial motive for betrayal (7)
{TREASON} – The first letter of Thomas, followed by a word that means “a rational motive for a belief or action” is a word that describes a breach of trust.

7. Not a starter in the ocean race (4,6)
{MAIN COURSE} – Not a dessert either. Another word for the ocean, and then a word that describes a fast moving flow of water.

8. Dead bodies seen in protected areas for shooting? (4,6)
{COLD FRAMES} – These are in fact wooden frames with glass tops in which small plants are protected from bad weather. You need to find synonyms for dead and bodies to make it work.

12. A poor reason for limping? (4,6)
{LAME EXCUSE} – An unconvincing explanation for being unable to walk properly.

13. He won’t get the sack if the bag’s big enough (10)
{GAMEKEEPER} – Bag here refers to catching or killing pheasants for example.

14. Courses for non-drivers? (5)
{PATHS} – Where you might walk and not expect to find motorised traffic? A bit weak perhaps? My first thought was “putting greens” but unfortunately it didn’t fit.

15. Move stealthily like Red Indian, quietly (5)
{CREEP} – A word that means to move slowly and carefully is made from a North American native Indian that originally lived in central Canada plus P (quietly).

19. It’s smoked chestnuts and hazelnut (7)
{CORNCOB} – A type of pipe is also another word for hackneyed usages or cliches. plus a nut of any of several trees of the genus Corylus (hazel for example).

20. Natural cover in Eden? (3,4)
{FIG LEAF} – The sort of covering taken from nature that was intended to conceal something regarded as shameful and was often used in paintings or on sculptures.

23. Tart and explicit Rice/Webber piece (6)
{CITRIC} – A word that means acidic or sharp can be found hidden between the words explicit and Rice.

25. Things cracked up to stupefy (4)
{STUN} – Reverse (up) hard shelled fruit to get a word that means to daze or render senseless.

26. The Hispano-French girl? (4)
{ELLA} – A girls name can be made from the Spanish and French words for “the”.

The Quick crossword pun: {falls} + {salaam} = {false alarm}

1. SpikeyMikey
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Got this done before the daughter headed off to school. First in was 1a and last in was 8d – that took a bit of thinking – but the penny eventually dropped :-) Good fun! Thanks to Libellule for the Hints and Tips.

2. Colmce
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Did enjoy this, galloped through until top right corner and came to shuddering halt. Eventually got them but taxed my brain a little.

Thanks to Rufus.
    And thanks to Libellule for hints and tips.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

My thx to Rufus for a very pleasant start to the week and to Libellule for explaining 8d. It’s obvious but I did like 26d :-)

• mary
      Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

It’s often the short ‘obvious’ ones that are the best Brian :-)

Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

… and, for me anyway, always the ones that take the longest!

4. Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

One of the rare occasions when I complete the grid before Big Dave posts his blog … a great start to the week for me

5. Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

7d &8d taxed me somewhat but otherwise a nice Monday morning stroll in the park .Thanks to Rufus Libellule.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

A nice gentle start to the week. Favourite clue – 18a. Least favourite clue – 25d; my pet hate is reversals where there is ambiguity in the wording as to which is correct. In this case, is it ‘Things cracked’ that needs to be reversed (up, in a down clue), or the verb ‘to stupefy’? I think it can be read either way, and a checking letter is needed before you can put the answer in.
    Moan over – Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I almost completely agree… apart from 18A being my LEAST favourite! Wouldn’t it be boring if we were all the same :-)

Thanks to all.

7. toadson
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Needed a hint for 8d. Liked 7d and 26d. Thanks to all.

8. Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

A good Monday starter puzzle and very entertaining. The only one to flummox was 8d, which dawned on me after a short break. Thanks to setter and retriever.

9. mary
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle and thanks for the blog hints though I didn’t need them today at one point I thought I might when I got to the top R/H corner! 7d, 8d and 18a being the last three in! As usual lots I liked today my favourites being 2d and 18a :-) , I hope Mrs L is firmly on the road to recovery, continued good wishes :-)

• mary
      Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

not being able to ‘see’ 18a and at this point not having 7d or 8d I almost put ‘morf’ in, thinking it could be thought of as a bad form I suppose!

• Brian
        Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

If its not going to something it’s coming …. Something

• mary
          Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

yes thanks Brian I got the answer but at first I theought ‘morf’ being a person with neither particularly male or female attributes could have bee a ‘bad form’

10. Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Agree with the comments above. Nice start to the week. Many thanks all.

11. john middleton
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Nice one for me, managed to complete it whilst waiting for a hospital appointment.

12. wingnut
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Did anyone else put Bolster (a cold chisel) in for 22a? Seems valid to me as “portions of” could indicate an anagram. Not quite finished yet but will pick up again in a while.

13. Roland
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

A quick run through, except for 7d and 8d which took a little thinking about. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

14. Hrothgar
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

As ever, charming and enjoyable puzzle from Rufus.
    8d took a wee bit longer than the others.
    Thanks Libellule.

15. Captain Duff
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable, and done before the coffee got too cold. First in was 5d and last, like others, was 8d. Favourites 2d, 10a and 7d. Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule. Is anyone else suffering with man flu? It’s day 11 and I’m still boosting Kleenex’s profits!

Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Hope that the man flu improves – my husband also has it. He isn’t boosting Kleenex’s profits as he is one of the very few men who still uses “proper” hankies, unfortunately! Yuk!! :roll:

• Roland
        Posted March 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I too still use proper hankies Kath. As you say, there are very few of us left.

• Annidrum
        Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

And I thought my husband was the only one who used “proper” hankies!!

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

… wrong!! Maybe there are more of them than we know about! :smile:

16. Weekend wanda
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

On train. Just read comments but not hints. Everyone remarkably same today. I got all in apart from 7 and 8d. At time of writing I have 8d although not exactly clear why. I shall refrain from looking at the hints to see if I can get 7d after a break. The other one requiring lateral thinking 13d I got easily but the checking letters were good!

17. Joe 90
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Loved 18 across………

Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Like everyone else, I galloped through this straightforward crossword until I got to 7d and 8d which took me as long to sort out as the rest of the clues put together. Thanks once again to Rufus and Libellule.

19. BigBoab
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule, standard Monday fare but none the less enjoyable for it.

20. mary
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Collywobbles must be on holiday?

21. Estragon
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Had to invent a Scottish town, had to come here for help with 8d but all done. :)

Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

When do the answers to Sundays puzzle come out? That 18d still has me beat.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Friday lunchtime. Have a look at the hint and illustration Dave gave yesterday.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

“He” , “I” and “U” all appear in a well-known table

• Libellule
      Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Brian
      Did you check the hint on this blog from yesterday?
      Its a very very good clue :-)

Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I thought it was one of the cleverest and trickiest clues that I’ve ever come across. Took me ages to understand it.

23. wingnut
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Got there in the end with 8d then 18a being the last to go. Thanks Rufus and Libellule. Being keen on maps i liked 15a although the “on” threw me a bit, but it made sense in an all one sort of way.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Lots of great clues today – really enjoyed it. Along with most other people my last ones were 18a and 8d – would have been quicker to get one if I’d had the other! I’ve never heard of the kind of pipe in 19d – spent quite a while wondering why anyone would smoke corn on the cob! Oh dear!! I’ve never heard of the 16a Scottish town but it was easy enough to work it out. Loads of four letter answers which I always find difficult. I liked 17a and 12 and 26d. My favourite was 18a. With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

25. Derek
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle from Rufus.
    10a, 16a, 18a, 21a, 27a, 7d, 9d, 13d 19d & 26d were my likes.

Many thanks BD for posting the article re Roger’s party.

26. Addicted
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Glad I wasn’t alone in having trouble with 8d – had to resort to hints for that one! Otherwise not a lot of problems – good start to the week. Thank you Rufus and Libellule.

27. Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Like most others, the NE corner needed a second look after a walk in the Sussex Spring Sunshine.
    This was the sly old fox at his cunning best! Thanks to Rufus for the mental gymnastics, and of course to Monsieur L.

28. Little Dave
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

All done save 18a – DOH! What a clot I am. Otherwise a pleasant perambulation.

29. Captain Duff
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you Kath. Maybe I’m on the mend – my patient wife says my sneezes are getting less violent!

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

….. and mine are just starting! :sad: At least I use tissues ….

30. Mystic meg
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

8d got me and bizarrely 11a. Otherwise things are looking up! (even though Monday is I understand, by repute, easy ).. :-)

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Yes – 11a also got me for quite a while – not helped by not having 8d either ….. I do think that Mondays are one of the easiest days of the week although there were a few tricky little ******* in here today! :smile:

31. Annidrum
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

8d last one in for me too, liked 7d once the penny dropped .Liked the whole thing really and thanks to Rufus & BD. :smile:

32. Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Nice one Rufus and a good review from Libellule so thanks to both.

Thought this was a fairly gentle puzzle apart from 7d. As ex-yacht racers we coulldn’t get the surface out of our heads so it ended as last in. :oops: Strange though that we got 8d immediately :grin:

33. upthecreek
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Along with just about everyone else, I got stuck on 7 and 8. Two great clues which i eventually worked out after a lot of cogitation. Also liked 10, 12 and 13. Thanks to Rufus for a more difficult than usual start to the week.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Off to deepest darkest Suffolk tomorrow to spend a couple of days with my lovely cousin and her equally lovely husband. :smile: My only slight worry is that the crossword could be “ONE OF THOSE TUESDAYS” and I will have no access to hints, comments or help of any kind! Oh dear!! I’ll just have to wait until I get home on Wednesday pm. :sad:

• Hrothgar
      Posted March 13, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

You won’t need any help :)
      And it should take you about ** minutes.