Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ***

For those who struggled last week, I think you will find today’s crossword nice and straightforward (somewhere between one or two stars for difficulty I think). We have the usual mixture of anagrams, double definitions, cryptic definitions etc with smooth surface readings. Classic Rufus!

If you are struggling to find the answer from the hints highlight the space between the curly brackets.

1. More than enough to make a graduate dissolute (8)
{ BASINFUL } – BA (graduate – Bachelor of Arts) is then followed by a word for wicked to give an overwhelming amount.

6. Made some copies and hastened away (3,3)
{ RAN OFF } – Double definition, to print or copy or to steal or take away.

9. Turkish leader about to conclude business (6)
{ AGENDA } – A three-letter word for a Turkish civil or military leader is placed around (about) another word for finish is a list of matters for a meeting.

10. Drive from A to B with mini, erratically (8)
{ AMBITION } – An anagram (erratically) of ATOB and MINI produces the sort of drive you need if you want to achieve anything.

11. Soldiers roar and sing wildly (8)
{ GARRISON } – Another anagram (wildly) this time of ROAR and SING for a body of troops maintained at a particular place.

12. Girl’s pen had broken (6)
{ DAPHNE } – Anagram (broken) again of PEN HAD is a girls name.

13. They provide coverage for domestic flights (5,7)
{ STAIR CARPETS } – The sort of covering you might put on a flight of steps inside your house.

16. What once was assumed before an engagement (4,2,6)
{ SUIT OF ARMOUR } – Something you might have chosen to wear before a fight in the middle ages (assuming you were a knight).

19. Plastered and pebble-dashed? (6)
{ STONED } – A slang word for drunk or intoxicated could also be what you might put on external walls along with plaster.

21. Third party insurance for a girl out on a social occasion (8)
{ CHAPERON } – This third party is an older person who typically accompanies a young unmarried woman in public.

23. Accumulates shares that have increased in value (6,2)
{ STOCKS UP } – To collect a supply of something, could also be what happens if the value of shares improve.

24. Republic is to bring back a king (6)
{ ISRAEL } – A Middle Eastern republic is, IS followed by a tragic Shakespearean king reversed (bring back).

25. Regions about to be given charity (6)
{ REALMS } – RE (with reference to) followed by an old word for money or goods that are given as charity produces the sort of regions that a King or Queen might rule.

26. Natural source of heat dehydrates various items (8)
{ SUNDRIES } – The earth’s star and a word for removing moisture is a collection of miscellaneous objects usually too numerous or too small to be specified.

2. A sort of dog blanket (6)
{ AFGHAN } – A breed of a dog, is also the name of a type of blanket that is knitted or crocheted in colourful geometric designs.

3. Private hotel used by monarch (5)
{ INNER } – The definition is private (something happening internally). Put a word for a public lodging house serving food and drink and then follow this with the usual abbreviation used to describe the current queen.

4. Signal to employees keeps up the standard (9)
{ FLAGSTAFF } – Simply another word for signal, then a word for a group of employees when put together produces a tall pole on which a piece of cloth is flown.

5. Motorist waiting for a chance to pass (7)
{ LEARNER } – Is also waiting to get rid of his L plates.

6. Free sailor put inside when violent (5)
{ RABID } – Put AB (Able Bodied) inside a word meaning “to free from” is also a word that means frenzied or mad, commonly associated with hydrophobia.

7. Used in correspondence when college set up exam (9)
{ NOTEPAPER } – Reverse (set up) the usual private school found in Berkshire, then add a synonym for an exam e.g. a set of written examination questions and you should end up with a word that describes something you would write a letter on.

8. Book subscription too often renewed (8)
{ FOOTNOTE } – An anagram (renewed) of TOO OFTEN is a printed annotation that you might find at the bottom of a page.

13. Wicked, and I can’t, alas, reform (9)
{ SATANICAL } – An anagram (reform) of I CANT ALAS is a word that means profoundly cruel or evil

14. Deep feeling trouble over an allowance (9)
{ ADORATION } – A word for profound love or regard is derived from the common crossword term for trouble or fuss (Much *** About Nothing) which is then placed over a word that describes a fixed allowance of food or provisions etc.

15. Translate ‘blue tits’ for foreign film caption (8)
{ SUBTITLE } – An anagram (translate) of BLUE TITS is the sort of printed translation you get for the dialogue of a foreign language film.

17. Unusually precise cooking instructions (7)
{ RECIPES } – An anagram (unusually) of PRECISE.

18. Father to watch animated sailor-man (6)
{ POPEYE } – This spinach loving cartoon character appeared recently in Toughie 514, An informal word for father and a way of regarding something.

20. Records talk without us (5)
{ DISC }S – Remove US from a word that describes speaking with others about something and you have another word for vinyl records.

22. It’s a mistake to hesitate or to become upset, right? (5)
{ ERROR } – ER (hesitate), OR (reversed – upset) and R (right).

Quick crossword pun: { melon } + { collie } = { melancholy }

1. Prolixic
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

I agree that this was a gentle start to the week from the Monday Magician. The only one that delayed me was 2d but the penny dropped soon enough. Favourite clue was 8d.

Many thanks to Rufus for the crossword and Libellule for the review.

2. Nick
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Middling difficulty I thought, rather than ‘easy’, but very entertaining and there were many witty clues that I enjoyed.

I took a while on 16a but it made me smile; also 18d, 19a and 21a were not desperately hard but enjoyable with the humour.

Thank you to Rufus and Libellule.

3. AnnB
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Good gentle start to week .Ready for much tougher ones later.in week…. I guess !
    Thanks to R & L for the CW & review

4. Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Not too hard but quite enjoyable. I was panicking at the beginning, getting the first 7 across answers straight away, luckily things slowed down until I came to the down clues. Liked 16a and 19d.

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

BTW – never thought I’d say this (especially in public), but C’Mon Zimbabwe.

5. Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I found it tricky in places but looks like it is just me!
    Lovely start to the week though.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

• Lea
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Not just you – I got stuck in bottom r/h corner with 21a (which I didn’t like) and 18d (which I did like). Other than that it was okay

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule

Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Definitely not just you – I got stuck in the top left hand corner.

6. Geoff
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward stuff today with lots of fun along the way. Nice to have one I could finish even if it didn’t get me out of the CC!

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule, I needed a few explanations, especially for 2a. Glad the blog was up early, have to go into town and it would be raining, of course.

• mary
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Nice one Geoff :)

• Nick
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

2a … 2d?

Type of dog and type of blanket. No, I didn’t know the blanket either, but I had enough letters in…

7. Wayne
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Pleasant start to the week and after the weekends offerings I certainly needed it.
    Thanx to compiler and Libellule as usual.

8. beangrinder
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

2* for me. Some good clues needing a bit of pondering. I find it so tricky to get a line of thinking out my head e.g 20d; I kept trying to surround ‘us’. Is this the ageing process or is it Monday fatigue? Thanks for a good quality, easier than last Monday, puzzle. Thanks to Libellule too.

9. mary
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Morning Libelulle or apres midi with you, I must say I didn’t find it as easy as you and would have given it at least a 2* got stuck for a while in the NW corner and the SE, however another smart crossword by Rufus, liked 13a, 16a, though I didn’t get them straight away also 5d and 18d, yet another Shakespeare play that I hadn’t read, that makes at least three in less than a week, well I suppose I have only read two so……… and they were my favourites! I wouldn’t have got out of the CC on this one today but Geoff seems near to doing it :-) a horrible wet day today but not too cold, just off to read all hints, thanks Libelulle

• Upthecreek
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I didn’t realise 18d was a Shakespeare play!

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

no sorry UTC I should of course have had a full stop and a gap! :)

• Franny
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Which two Shakespeare plays are those, Mary?

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Franny, Midsummer Nights Dream and Merchant of Venice

• Franny
          Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Two which are close to my heart also! :-)

10. Collywobbles
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

What a good puzzle, thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks tp Rufus and Libellule.

11. mary
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

just one query, 8d, how is a book subscription the same as a footnote?

• Libellule
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Read as sub (under) script!

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Oh yes, very clever, thanks Libelulle :)

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

From the ODE:

Subscription
      Formal: a signature or short piece of writing at the end of a document: he signed the letter and added a subscription.

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

thanks Dave

• Upthecreek
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Morning Mary. It means writing below. You didn’t give the answer, did you.??.

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

That “rule” only applies to weekend prize puzzles. During the week, if you don’t want to see any answers, don’t read the comments until after you have finished the puzzle.

• mary
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Hi UTC thanks for that, it is ok to mention the answer on weekdays it just applies to the prize puzzles at weekends :)

• Upthecreek
          Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

It applies to prize puzzles and me!

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

UTC

I have checked all 248 of your comments and the only time you were censored was on Saturday 18th December 2010.

• Collywobbles
              Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

◦ Big Dave
              Posted February 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink | Reply
              I’m really not interested in counting peoples comments – and neither should you be.

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I did that check in response to a particular accusation.

Counting the total number of comments is very easy for me – counting how many on a specific post is much harder.

• Upthecreek
                  Posted February 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I was only having a laugh!! Please don’t take me too seriously.

• Upthecreek
              Posted February 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I am most impressed by your efficiency. I was probably thinking of Aussie sunshine then!

• Collywobbles
                Posted February 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

I’m very impressed too!

12. Upthecreek
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Good puzzle today done in quick time. Favourites were 21 and 16. Hoping for a sterner test tomorrow.

13. Posted February 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

1* difficulty for me too – hope this a sign that things will be back to ‘normal’ this week and we won’t get unexpected levels of difficulty later on. Thanks to Rufus for a lovely start to the week – my favourite clues were 13a and 5d – and to Libellule for the review.

14. BigBoab
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rufus, your crosswords always get me off to an enjoyable and gentle start to the week. Thanks Libellule for the review.

15. Patsyann
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable gentle start to the week. Always look forward to a Rufus! 24a stood out as to-morrow we are off to Landuddno to see Derek Jacobi in King Lear.

• mary
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

love Llandudno, I could easily live there :)

16. Franny
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Such a relief finally to have a puzzle I could actually do! So thanks ever so much to Rufus and to Libellule for his always entertaining and helpful comments, even though I didn’t need them this time. There were lots of lovely anagrams to get me started, and the only problem I had was with 21a which I’m used to spelling with a final ‘e’.

Lucky Patsyann to see Jacobi in Lear. I hope you enjoy it. :-)

17. Claire
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Lovely crossword for my first ‘proper’ day of half term. The only one I struggled with was 1a – Doh!! – favourites were 13a and 19a. Looking forward to another 4 days of leisurely solving. BTW found yesterday’s very tricky! Still not done despite hints!

18. Stuart
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Straightforward start to the week – but still enjoyable.

By the way, crossword number in post title does not match the number of the crossword itself!

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Stuart,
      Mea culpa, a cut and paste that I forgot to amend. Fixed – thanks.

Posted February 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I thought this might have been a little bit trickier than a 1* – maybe closer to 2*, for me anyway, if only because I did the right hand side very quickly but got rather held up in the top left hand corner. I was trying to make 1a start with either ‘ABA’ or ‘AMA’ because the clue had ‘A graduate’ – this meant that I couldn’t do 1a or 2d for AGES! Having another dim day I think!!
    No problems other than those two.
    Liked 10 and 26a and 13, 15 and 18d.
    Thoroughly miserable day here in Oxford – cold, grey and wet – but we don’t care as we’re going to Marrakesh tomorrow evening for five days and it’s 28C and sunny over there. :grin:
    Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• mary
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

have a great time Kath :)

Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I’m sure we will – just NOT entirely sure that it’s the direction to be going in at the moment but we didn’t know that in November ….. !

20. Nubian
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Nice one to start the week.
    Thanks to Rufus and Libellule

21. Rednaxela
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

This was a pleasant start to the week for me – nothing too difficult. I’ve been away for the weekend and I have just completed Saturday’s [26480] and Sunday’s [2576] and I see there were 234 comments posted on Saturday. I have only been on here since the start of this year, and I must say that I find the site extremely useful in trying to understand word play etc and there is always someone, whether it is the reviewer of the day or one of the others who post comments, who is ready to help out if you are stuck, with further hints and tips. So I say a big thank you to BD for setting up this site and also to the regular reviewers, without whose help I would sometimes be at a total loss. May it continue to grow from strength to strength. Thanks also to the setter and Libellule for today’s contributions.

22. BiPolarBearUS
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

A nice pick-me-up to start the week. It’s a holiday in the US, and perhaps that’s why I’m finally able to weigh in while the comments are still open, despite my 7 time zone handicap. Favorites were 16 & 21.

P.S. I’ve been hooked on cryptics since a Brit friend introduced me a number of years ago. I usually print about a week at a time, and challenge myself during idle moments or while on trips. The Blog has been great fun, and a big help when I tire of banging my head against hard objects. Thanks to BD and all the rest of you.

• Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog BiPolarBearUS

• Upthecreek
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Snap. Obviously a bear of good taste!

• mary
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

nice to meet you BPBUS

23. Cicero
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for a nice puzzle (16a and 13a raised a chuckle) and Libellule for the notes.

I only struggled with 21a as I wasn’t aware that the answer could be spelt without an E on the end, and with 1a as it’s a slightly odd word.

• mary
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

My mother always used it when she was fed up with something she’d say ‘I’ve had a basinful of this’ !

Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Mine still does …. and quite often!!

• Cicero
        Posted February 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

My mum isn’t that polite, it’s probably why I didn’t get it quickly!

Posted February 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Cicero – so what is your Mum’s version of “I’ve had a basinful of ….?” Whenever mine starts a sentence with that I know there is trouble on the way!!

• pommers
      Posted February 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

1a last one in for me and I’d never have got it without the checking letters. Then they gave me the second part of the word and it twigged a memory from my Gran who used the phrase!

24. milkyboy
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

slow start in the nw corner, but not too much trouble thereafter. Some smiles along the way. thanks to rufus and libellule

25. Gari
    Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Cicero
    I also thought that it was spelt with an “e”, it was the last one to go in for me and when I put it in my Collins electronic dictionary without the “e” it corrected it to with an “e”. :D

%d bloggers like this: