Prize Puzzle – 052

Monthly Prize Puzzle (September 2016)

A Puzzle by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (17th September 2016).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. John Edwards
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 8:21 am | Permalink | Reply

The link doesn’t work :o (

• Posted September 3, 2016 at 9:08 am | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog John

It works ok for me in three different browsers – what result do you get?

• John Edwards
        Posted September 3, 2016 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

I get this:

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at

Check the address for typing errors such as instead of
        If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
        If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

2. dutch
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 10:20 am | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks Prolixic. Very clever – a joy to solve.

answer submitted, though I still have question marks by a couple of clues

• dutch
      Posted September 3, 2016 at 10:25 am | Permalink | Reply

have now resolved my question marks (I think!)

many thanks again

3. silvanus
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 11:27 am | Permalink | Reply

Absolutely brilliant, so cleverly constructed. I fully concur with Dutch that it was a joy to solve.

Favourite clues for me were 18a, 22a and 16d.

Many thanks indeed, Prolixic.

4. KiwiColin
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink | Reply

That is soooo clever. Have sorted out the answer and submitted it but there are still a couple of bits to sort out in the morning.
    Thanks Prolixic.

• KiwiColin
      Posted September 3, 2016 at 7:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Overnight cogitation did the trick. Correcting the answer I had for 23d unlocked the logjam.
      Thanks again Prolixic.

5. stanXYZ
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 4:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

That seems to sum it up nicely – an exclamation of wonder, admiration and amazement. Thanks, Prolixic.

My favourite clue: the one with “Gloriana” in it.

6. Colin
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 5:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is so frustrating, completed the grid…98% certain the answers are correct.

The last step is eluding me.

Ah wait, I think I’ve got it.

Prolixic, a mind that works in 5 maybe 6 dimensions.

Great fun to do, many thanks.

7. Jeroboam
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Fantastic. Right up my street. Will come back and add more when the review goes up.

Posted September 3, 2016 at 9:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Brilliant! After a week without crosswords this was a glorious way to get back on the horse. After a slow start everything gradually fell into place including the final answer although I still haven’t fully parsed four of the clues.

Many thanks, Prolixic, for a great challenge. I marvel at your ingenuity.

9. Jane
    Posted September 3, 2016 at 10:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Completed this bar the final step hours ago – it’s taken since then for the penny to drop and the letters fall into the right order!
    A masterpiece, Prolixic – thank you so much.

10. Maize
    Posted September 4, 2016 at 1:00 am | Permalink | Reply

What a pay-off!
    Tremendous combination of ideas working on multiple levels which, for the solver culminates in a massive hurrah! when it all comes together with a rush at the end.
    Many thanks Prolixic.

Posted September 4, 2016 at 10:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ugh. I have encountered a road block in the SE corner. Hopefully the potholes will be filled before the closing date.

• Jane
      Posted September 4, 2016 at 11:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

I hope so, Chris. Isn’t this one of your rare chances to win and claim your prize?

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted September 5, 2016 at 12:34 am | Permalink | Reply

Not if I get there first.
        I already have one waiting for me on my next trip.
        Ready for the second one. :wink:

• Expat Chris
          Posted September 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Greedy boy!

12. Mike Ewart
    Posted September 4, 2016 at 11:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very clever! Brilliantly conceived and executed throughout, and a wonderful d’oh moment for the final stage. Gave me royal entertainment on a flight to Boston today (still Sunday here) and beat the inflight movies hands down.

Posted September 5, 2016 at 12:36 am | Permalink | Reply

Did exactly what you asked Prolixic.
    Thanks for the super clever fun.

14. Ora Meringue
    Posted September 5, 2016 at 5:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I managed it…..I think!
    Not at all sure of the parsing of several of the clues, but figured it out!

Great fun and so pleased with myself!

Thanks to Prolixit.

Posted September 5, 2016 at 8:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve been battling the lurgy for two days so maybe it’s having a fever that unlocked my crazy side. I picked this up after a much needed nap and BAM! The 150W light bulb lit and I saw what I’d been missing, which enabled the last few clues to be completed. Now to submit with fingers and toes crossed because, as Jane says, for once I will be on the right side of the pond at the right time.

So carried away at solving I almost forgot…Prolixic, you are just a star! This was absolutely wonderful. I would hug you but I’m full of germs.

16. Werm
    Posted September 8, 2016 at 8:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Great puzzle so thank you BUT I cannot input my answer and now I cannot access the site at all I’m afraid.’s server DNS address could not be found.

• Posted September 8, 2016 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Try changing your DNS servers – the site is there.

17. Robert
    Posted September 16, 2016 at 10:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

One word for this – Amazing!