Prize Puzzle – 049

Monthly Prize Puzzle (June 2016)

A Puzzle by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (18th June 2016).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. Jane
    Posted June 4, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Finding the answer is easy enough (she says, confidently!) – completing the puzzle is a different matter altogether. I’ve got six answers that I just can’t parse.
    Thanks for the challenge, Prolixic. I’ve discovered several new words and names – two of them in the same wretched answer!

• Jane
      Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Think I’ve worked out all the parsing now, although still not very confident about that for 8d.

2. silvanus
    Posted June 4, 2016 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve found nine themed answers thus far with one clue still to solve, but I’m struggling to find a tenth. I have a suspicion as to what the misnamed answer may be, but I’ll reserve judgment for the time being…

I thought the RHS was fairly tricky, but the LHS was even trickier, not encountering previously two of the answers on that side contributed to that. Rabbit Dave will enjoy this one, of that I’m sure.

Very cleverly assembled as ever by Prolixic, although I was disappointed to see the repetition of “broken” as an anagram indicator in both 14a and 2d, when so many alternatives could have been picked. I hope pointing this out doesn’t result in a scathing critique of my next puzzle?!

Many thanks, Prolixic, I hope to complete later….

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted June 4, 2016 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh dear! I had decided that I was going to avoid this puzzle as I have spent so long today working on the NTSPP, but now you have piqued my interest. Well, at least Mrs RD is out for the day and she won’t know that I have tackled three puzzles when I should have been cutting the grass …

You could get me into trouble here. Any thoughts for a good excuse for my not having cut the grass?

• silvanus
        Posted June 4, 2016 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

How about that it’s too damp? My grass is!

In the unlikely event that I’ve misjudged your interest, I’ll owe you a drink at The Oval!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted June 4, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll let you know, but I might lie just to get a free drink …

I was supposed to be playing cricket today but our opponents called it off yesterday because their ground is water-logged. I’ll go and have a look at my grass now.

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted June 4, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Inspection complete. Unfortunately it’s quite dry and play can start immediately. The Prize Puzzle will have to wait.

• silvanus
      Posted June 4, 2016 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Elusive last answer now obtained (it didn’t take me eight hours, I took a break to do some gardening!) which fortunately also yielded the missing tenth themed one.

My original suspicion regarding the misnamed answer hasn’t altered in the interim, so the magic button has now been pressed…

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 4, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, my first assessment to leave Prolixic’s puzzles well alone seems right. I really do struggle to get onto his wavelength. I did almost instantly solve the first clue I looked at. It fitted the criterion of having no definition and the answer was obviously misnamed. So, if nothing else, with one answer in the grid I could submit my answer but that wouldn’t be very satisfying!

After cutting the grass (it does look good now!) and doing some other stuff in the garden, I spent the best part of an hour in the bath during which time I managed just two further answers. I shall take a break now and come back to it again later in the hope of some inspiration.

• silvanus
          Posted June 4, 2016 at 9:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I may owe you that drink after all then…!

It’s strange, I generally seem to be on Prolixic’s wavelength and do enjoy his style, ever since the first puzzle of his I tackled at the 2015 Birthday bash. As for the NTSPP, I admitted defeat quite early. I solved a couple but soon realised that it was not going to be an easy task to complete the remainder, even if one knew where the answers went!

• Jane
            Posted June 4, 2016 at 11:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like you, Silvanus, I don’t seem to have much of a problem with Prolixic’s wavelength. The only trouble is that his vocabulary is obviously far larger than mine………

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted June 4, 2016 at 11:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

D’oh! Suddenly it all clicked! I’ve still got 3 answers unsolved in the SW corner but none of these affect the ten related clues.

My first answer, though entirely plausible, was wrong leading me to a ******* theme!! As it’s a prize puzzle I’ll email you as it is a really bizarre coincidence. It’s me who owes you a drink, and a big thank you to Prolific both for the puzzle and for correctly confirming the misnomer!

• Jane
              Posted June 5, 2016 at 10:11 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi RD,
              It was only the ‘bizarre coincidence’ that led me to the answer so early in the solve. I owe you a drink as well!

• Rabbit Dave
                Posted June 5, 2016 at 10:41 am | Permalink | Reply

There are actually two bizarre coincidences at play here – to be revealed in full after the review has been published.

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted June 5, 2016 at 10:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Prolific? B***** autocorrect! A big thank you to Prolixic of course.

3. KiwiColin
    Posted June 4, 2016 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Until I had sorted out the theme the answers without definition were a real challenge. Still a couple the bottom corners to be sorted but the solution worked out and submitted.
    Thanks Prolixic.

4. Hilary
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Reading your comments has scared me to death so have decided to shred copy of crossword and go back to yesterday’s GK which idid not get round to doing.

Posted June 5, 2016 at 2:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Prolixic for the super fun.
    Once I got the gist of it, everything fell into place.
    Lots of smiles along the way.
    Unlike last month, I am ready to send my answer.

6. dutch
    Posted June 5, 2016 at 7:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks Prolixic – very enjoyable. 14a revealed the theme early on, I found the ten nouns, and given the dialogue on this website, it was rapidly clear what the puzzle answer had to be. I struggled a little in SW but with he help of a friend i managed to finish that too.

the answers are in place but I’m not sure i’ve completely parsed 27a and 6d.

One thing i really enjoyed is that the surfaces of the 10 clues that lacked definitions were pretty good.

Many thanks

7. Posted June 6, 2016 at 9:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

It helped that I twigged the theme early on. I completed half or so without too much trouble, but then had to dig considerably deeper. A couple of things were new to me. The SW was the last in. Thanks to Prolixic for the fun.

I’ll be interested to find out in due course what RD’s original wrong answer was.

8. Werm
    Posted June 7, 2016 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well I finally managed to get access to the Puzzle, anybody else have trouble accessing the site where the puzzles are hosted? I shall now give it a go. I am not confident.