Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ****

Last week we were away in the ‘bush’ with family, this week we have our three eldest grandchildren staying with us, Alice 12, Ollie 14 and Freddy 15. We have sent them off to the beach with their boogie boards to enjoy the good surf that is running today while we work at putting this together.
Hope you all enjoy Jay’s puzzle as much as we did.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts.

1a     Son wearing real bling — possibly sounds familiar! (5,1,4)
RINGS A BELL : The abbreviation for son is included in an anagram (possibly) of REAL BLING.

6a     Worker not out to provide cover for injury? (4)
SCAB : A double definition. The first is a worker who does not go on strike with his workmates.

10a     Instant tea or coffee (5)
MOCHA : A colloquial abbreviation for a short period of time, and a word for tea that we have pinched from the Chinese.

11a     Quarrelsome culture developing, not without love (9)
TRUCULENT : An anagram (developing) of CULTURE followed by N(o)T after the tennis zero score has been removed.

12a     Row mainly about oven snack food (7)
TOASTIE : A hop drying oven is inside a synonym for a row or bank that loses its last letter.

13a      What may be said in fencing part of kitchen garden? (2,5)
EN GARDE : This expression from French is hiding in the clue.

14a     Feminine anger about foul-smelling resin (12)
FRANKINCENSE : The abbreviation for feminine, then a four letter word meaning foul-smelling and a word meaning to make angry.

18a     Verify guilt, turning around answer, in a manner of speaking (12)
FIGURATIVELY : An anagram (turning) of VERIFIED GUILT that includes the one letter abbreviation for answer.

21a     Nothing to write home? Good opportunity (7)
OPENING : Nothing written as a single number, then a word meaning to write, the two letter ‘at home’ and the abbreviation for good.

23a     Tempo regularly found in new melody — one by Holst (7)
NEPTUNE : Start with N(ew), then the second and fourth letters of tempo and a synonym for a melody to get this work by Gustav Holst.

24a     Read about being imprisoned by tyrant with no time for criminal (9)
DESPERADO : An anagram (about) of READ is included in a word for a tyrant without its last letter.

25a     Journey plan for English after overwhelming defeat (5)
ROUTE : An overwhelming defeat is followed by the abbreviation for English.

26a     Do be quiet — there’s money (4)
DOSH : DO from the clue and an exhortation to be quiet.

27a     Simple area of postman’s work offering financial security (4,6)
EASY STREET : A synonym for simple and a thoroughfare that a postman would use when making deliveries.

1d     Unlikely controller of viewing choices? (6)
REMOTE : A double definition. The second is the device responsible for untold domestic disharmony.

2d     Exhibition centre tariff halved for drink (6)
NECTAR : The exhibition centre is found in Birmingham (we had to look it up) and comes before the first three letters of tariff.

3d     Thoughtless broadcast knocked on the head (14)
SCATTERBRAINED : A word meaning broadcast or distribute randomly, and then a colloquial term for knocked on the head.

4d     Born fool wrapping complete tree (9)
BUTTERNUT : An abbreviation for born, then a word meaning complete or total, and a three letter fool.

wGJY9XYnButternut Tree Fruit

5d     Bug in plot must get discovered (5)
LOUSE : Discovered here means dis-covered so you remove the first and last letters from three words in the clue.

7d     Sort of bank making so much profit? (8)
CLEARING : A double definition, the first is a type of bank that makes credit and cheque transfers to and from other banks.

8d     So a fish might be beaten (8)
BATTERED : How the fish that you bought from your local chip shop might have been prepared.

9d     Cleaner that boosts operating team’s morale? (8,6)
SURGICAL SPIRIT : The type of activity carried out by an operating team in a hospital and a word for morale.

15d     Come up with gold on end of any list of stock (9)
INVENTORY : Bring about, as Benjamin Franklin did prolifically, the heraldic cypher for gold, and the last letter of any.

16d      Provided a fine cross and Spain scored at last (8)
AFFORDED : A from the clue, then the abbreviation for fine and to cross as you would a river that has no bridge, then the IVR code for Spain and the last letter of scored.

17d     Makes advances, ignoring the first two fearsome women (8)
OGRESSES : A word meaning makes advances or moves forward loses its first two letters.

19d     Stitch up trade union in firm (6)
SUTURE : A word for firm or definite contains the two letter abbreviation for a trade union.

20d     The man in optimum environment for command (6)
BEHEST : A personal pronoun for ‘the man’ is inside a word meaning optimum.

22d     Country found in rough anagram? (5)
GHANA : And we have another lurker hiding in the clue for our last one.

5d was the one that really tickled our fancy today.

Quickie pun     honour   +    role   =   on a roll

And a pic of a grandfather with Freddy and Ollie from last week.

1. dutch
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Many thanks 2Kiwis – especially for the tramping picture

Very pleasant puzzle today. Last one in was 5d (bug..) – clear what it had to be but it took a while for the parsing to click. I thought 18a was a nice anagram (verify guilt) and 3d also appealed (thoughtless broadcast). Many thanks Jay

Very nice toughie today as well

• neveracrossword
      Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Ditto – apart from the Toughie, which I might look at later.

2. pete
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable, particularly liked 3d, 7d and18a. I knew the answer for 5d, but would never have worked out the cryptic without the help from here.

3. Harport
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I thought 23a was very clever and 5d too clever. I got the bug alright but couldn’t see why

4. alan
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Is the pic for 4d a trio of butternuts?

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

The picture came up in Google images for butternut tree. As a tree, rather than a type of squash, it was new to us. Seems like it is native to North America and is also known as a White Walnut.

5. Young Salopian
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I thought this was an excellent puzzle from Jay. So many good clues, but I will nominate 14 and 23 across as a dead heat for my favourites. Many thanks to the 2 Ks for their review, and to Jay for a very enjoyable crossword. 2*/4*

6. Beaver
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Thanks to the 2K’s for the blog pics-liked the lego swordsman for 13a and the Pavlov dog for 1a, I thought of Quasimodo as his face rang a bell ! sorry.
    Back to the puzzle, best of the week so far and agree with a **/****,loved the surface of 5d and the use of ‘discovered’, honourable mention also for 23a- good start to the day and the sun has come out!.

7. Bluebird
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

That’s the third one in 3 days that hasn’t put up a fight.
    Someone is trialling me on those new Alzheimer’s pills without telling me…..

I enjoyed 9 and 27, but didn’t enjoy those clues where the parsing involved multiple single letters, e.g. 16d, but that may just be me.

You Kiwis and family look to be having a marvellous holiday. Are the schools off for a long break?

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Yes you are correct about long school holidays here. They break up about a week before Christmas and the first term for 2016 starts about the beginning of February. The academic year here corresponds with the calendar year and the long break is in mid-summer.

8. Michael
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Tricky – I had trouble ‘parsing’ 4d, it was obvious from the checkers but ‘nut’ for ‘fool’ umm – not sure about that!
    5d was another that was difficult for me to ‘parse’ – I must remember the ‘discover’ indicator.
    16d – phew!

Very enjoyable!

9. pommers
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Agree with **/**** with 3d as LOI for no particular reason, except that for a while I thought it was a word for thoughtless followed by AIRED (broadcast) with “knocked on the head” as the definition, D’oh. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Can’t decide between 13a and 5d as favourite so, as Kath isn’t here, I’ll name them co-favourites http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Ta muchly to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

10. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

**/****. Very enjoyable with a few a-ha moments. Really liked 6,10&23a and 9d. Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review.

11. Jaylegs
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Nice pretty straightforward puzzle http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifbut 5d! I mean if dis-covered had been in the clue I might have had half a chance http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gifThanks to all three birds 2 x Ks and Garrulus glandarius liked 10a, 3d & 14a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

12. Jane
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Thought 2Ks had gone on strike today as I didn’t get my usual email to let me know the review was up. Sorry, 2Ks, should have known better!
    Very nice puzzle from Jay with a couple of head-scratching moments. Complete blind spot over 6a for some reason even with 8d in place and a struggle to parse 5d.
    Top three places go to 18a plus 3&5d – honourable mentions for the smile moments to 10a&9d.
    Many thanks to Jay and to the devoted grandparents. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted January 13, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Last one in was 5d also as it took me a while to parse. But no bung in today. What a relief.
    Slowed down at the bottom as I penciled Safe Street in 27a until 15d was filled in.
    Didn’t know the tree in 4d, always believed it was some pumpkin.
    Favourite is 11a. I really thought it was quite topical considering the problems our way of life can cause to foreigners.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review and pics.

14. Kevin
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

seems like 5d was the learning point today

15. Angel
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Terrific – I really enjoyed today’s exercise. Thank you Jay. Look forward to more similar ones. Thanks also 2 Ks particularly for parsing 5d (rather contrived) and also 21d which I had attempted to justify using ‘nothing and synonym for writing – misspelt!’. Favs 13a – loved the illustration – and 9d. Also liked the photo of the three intrepid bushwalkers. ***/****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted January 13, 2016 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I thought this was going to be easy when 1a was solved upon reading it. Some were easy but others really made the brain overheat.
    I needed the hints to “get” 2d and 5d; didn’t know the exhibition centre, it never occurred to me it was actually a place so never googled it.
    I needed my gizmo to get 14a, but in retrospect it looks so obvious.
    Thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis, looks like fun with the grandchildren.

17. mre
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

A comprehensive biffing here with four unsolved. Couldn’t see 14a at all. 6a and 7d were equally elusive. 8d I had but didn’t write in thinking it could not be so simple. Otherwise straightforward.

Not a great week so far…

18. silvanus
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

An excellent puzzle with lots to enjoy. Not that difficult either for a Wednesday.

So many clever constructions, especially 5d, but I’ll opt for 1d as my favourite.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and to the 2Kiwis.

Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A superb puzzle from Jay, with some tough, and some easy clues. Needed the hints to parse 5d LOI, got the answer but didn’t know why. Must remember dis-cover. Favourite was 9d, which made me laugh. Was 3*/4* for me. Great fun.

20. Bertie
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

5d too clever by half but I guessed it. Again, 4d. Who has heard of a Butternut tree? Have heard of butternut squash, but that’s a drink ain’t it ? Unfortunately put in Bettelnut for that one. Didn’t it stain your teeth if you chewed those ? ( Somerset Maugham I think !

• Michael
      Posted January 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

A Butternut Squash is a gourd like a pumpkin.

Posted January 13, 2016 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like we are in for another fine summer’s day. Just what’s needed for the grandkids to enjoy their bikes, the beach and all the other stuff that kids that age do. It is great having them to stay and they are already conditioned to keep quietly out of the way when crossword duties are being attended to.

22. Gwizz
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

A really good puzzle from Jay I thought. Some easy some not so but all ultimately solvable. 14d was my favourite, 5d was the naughty one and 2/4* overall.
    Dis-cover indeed…..
    Thanks to Jay and the 2K’s. One day it will be summer here so I’m told…http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

23. Kitty
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Very nice indeed. Not too difficult, which is ok by me though I do like them a little stiffer.

I’m surprised that so many people had trouble with “discover” as I didn’t think it was that uncommon.

The tree as a tree was new to me but I stuffed it in unquestioningly.

One of the answers is something I have been called many times – but only ever (I hope!) due to human error or autocorrect. I’m not sure whether it’s my favourite or my least favourite!

My thanks to Jay, and to Grandma and Grandpa Kiwi.

Posted January 13, 2016 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I’m very late getting round to this today, but it was well worth waiting for. I agree with the majority who rated this 2*/4*. Like several others I was completely flummoxed by the parsing of 5d. I also got held up a bit in the SW corner as my first answer in was the obvious “hush” which fits the clue perfectly, but makes a horrible mess of 16d.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

25. Drapdor
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this.
    1a went straight in and the rest was a mix of fun and trickiness. Some very difficult.
    I liked a lot of these – 6a, 10a, 23a 1d, 8d.
    I got 5d but couldn’t parse it without the hints.
    I didn’t get 4d.
    Thank you very much to Jay for a lovely crossword and to 2Ks for the hints.

Posted January 13, 2016 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I found this awfully difficult, perhaps because I started so late .4d defeated me , as I hadn’t heard of it.
    Thanks Kiwis for your hints and the lovely pics.

27. Liz
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle with some great clues. I especially liked 14a and 26a, but favourite was 3d! Had a bit of trouble with 5d, even though I got the answer, had to look up the hints for the rationale. Thanks to setter and Ks. 2*/3*

28. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted January 13, 2016 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable.
    Lots of good clues and some toughies, eventually needed a hint or two.
    Thanks to setter and 2k’s for the blog

29. Tstrummer
    Posted January 14, 2016 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Last week’s Jay was at the easy end of the spectrum and so was this. Almost finished it on the train home but had three or four to ponder over a g&t. I liked 3d. 1*/3* Ta to Jay and the dynamic duo down under

30. Hanni
    Posted January 14, 2016 at 12:28 am | Permalink

This was almost a R&W but could I figure out the parsing for 5d? Could I heck for ages. I bunged it in and just stared at it and then back at the clue.

The rest was very enjoyable.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Ks for a great blog.

The 19d pic made me feel queasy.

31. AnntheArt
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:22 am | Permalink

At last I feel I have earned the right to make a comment on this excellent blog. Reason being that I completed not this one but Jay’s on Wednesday no. 28009 on my own with no hints. Hurrah! This blog has really made cryptics come to life for me after years of struggle so thanks to all. But the steep learning curve continues so my next comment may be a long time coming. Thanks again for this entertaining and essential blog.

• Deep Threat
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog AnntheArt. Now that you’ve come out of your lurking place, I hope we’ll hear nore from you in future.

• AnntheArt
        Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Thank you DT. Hopefully my lurking days are over.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 15, 2016 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too AnnetheArt. Great that you have un-lurked. We are glad that you find this site so useful and we will follow your progress in solving with interest so please keep commenting.

32. AnntheArt
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Oh ok so I have posted my comment on the wrong number…I’ll get the hang of it soon!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif