Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ****

Cold and windy here so we opted out of our regular walk this morning. A good day to hunker down in front of the fire to solve and blog a Jay puzzle.
A few clues with medical connections, and a few that had us beak scratching a little.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Soldiers going in with child’s medicine (11)
EXPECTORANT : A synonym for ‘with child’ or pregnant contains one of the abbreviations for soldiers.

9a     Basic education keeping youth at home (9)
GROUNDING : This can be a punishment imposed by parents on errant teenagers.

10a     Millions must be invested in science facilities, dearies (5)
LAMBS : The abbreviation for millions is inserted into the places where scientists work.
images

11a     Mature women employed by band (4,2)
GROW UP : Mature here is a verb. A word for a band has the abbreviation for women included.

12a     Chap on schedule, but sounding mournful (8)
PLANGENT : A male person follows a synonym for a schedule.

13a     In bed I’m withdrawn, what a fool (6)
DIMWIT : The first of the ‘hiding in the clue’ answers.

15a     Looking angry, seeing monk’s hood covered in grass (8)
SCOWLING : An alternative colloquial term for grass or ‘tell on’ surrounds the name of a monk’s hood.

18a     Soldier at sea welcomes a time to soak (8)
MARINATE : A from the clue and the abbreviation for T(ime) are enclosed in a seaborne soldier.

19a     Paddled furiously once a day (6)
CANOED : An anagram (furiously) of ONCE A and then the abbreviation for D(ay).
images

21a     Damned low returns in flashy jewellery (8)
BLOOMING : This mild expletive is the reversal of the sound made by a cow inside a word for flashy jewellery.

23a     China trophy given to most of side (6)
TEACUP : A synonym for a sports side loses its last letter and precedes a type of trophy.

26a     Deal with unexpected pleasure (5)
TREAT : Double definition.

27a     Extrovert son’s expenditure (9)
OUTGOINGS : A description of an extrovert is followed by S(on’s).

28a     Arguments from females in residence out of control (11)
DIFFERENCES : An anagram (out of control) of residence contains the repeated abbreviation for female.

1d     No ring — and due to be married! (7)
ENGAGED : Double definition, the first one is connected with the telephone.

2d     Paid sportsman on doctor’s publicity material (5)
PROMO : The three letter word for a paid sportsman is followed by an army doctor.

3d     Misunderstanding caused by argument against merger (9)
CONFUSION : A word for an argument against (the opposite of the first part of the previous answer) and then a merger or joining together.

4d     Old Tory leader in charge of hearing (4)
OTIC : O(ld) plus the first letter of Tory and then the abbreviation for in charge.

5d     Treasure nameless old South American plant (8)
ANGELICA : A treasure or wonderful person precedes an early South American culture with the abbreviation for name removed.
0cd4aca56248dbc89840b32416e16e8d

6d     What makes some Catalonians grasping? (5)
TALON : What we are looking for is something that is grasping and is hiding inside the clue.
images

7d     Mess that’s ending with a good link to tweet (7)
HASHTAG : A word for mess plus the last letter of that, A from the clue and the abbreviation for G(ood).

8d     Condition of motorway on the way up, dear? I leave (8)
IMPETIGO : This medical condition starts with the reversal of UK’s principal highway, a synonym for dear as an affectionate name, then I from the clue and a word to leave.

14d     Little monkey confusing some in market (8)
MARMOSET : Another word for a market contains an anagram (confusing) of SOME.
imgres

16d     How baleen changes? (9)
WHALEBONE : An all in one clue that is an anagram (changes) of HOW BALEEN.
imgres

17d     Stay away from poor Don, surrounded by personnel (5,3)
STAND OFF : A word for personnel or those employed contains an anagram (poor) of DON.

18d     Mafia type almost serious, supporting crowd (7)
MOBSTER : A three letter word for a crowd is followed by a word for serious without its last letter.

20d     Boots from office of French models (7)
DEPOSES : The French word for ‘of’ then a synonym for models or sits for a portrait.

22d     Belly up, journalist becomes less emphatic (5)
MUTED : A common word for a belly is reversed and is followed by a senior journalist.

24d     Bankruptcy nicely protecting a scoffer (5)
CYNIC : Another one hiding in the clue.

25d     Visual impairment causing line to go out of fashion (4)
STYE : Take a word for fashion and remove L(ine) from it.

Quickie Pun   course   +   ticks   +   odour   =   caustic soda

As we promised in our comment on the latest NTSPP, here is a picture of a Kotuku or NZ White Heron. We saw the rare sight of a group or siege of them on our estuary last weekend.
images

1. Paso Doble
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

We really enjoyed this puzzle from Jay. Lots of lovely clues and a few that kept us pondering for a while – last in 8d. Thanks to the 2Ks for a great review with the little sheep (one for Kath!) and an adorable monkey. Thanks also Jay. ***/****

2. Bluebird
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thank you 2 kiwis.
    This was one where they all went in but I had to deduce the explanations later.

Judging by my difficulty with the QC, I thought it might be a lot worse, but most answers were “just to the side” of one’s first thought, if you see what I mean? Lots of No 2 or 3 synonyms rather than No 1 is what I mean…I am not articulate today.

3. dutch
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

A gentle offering from Jay with plenty to like.

Just a few of my favourites include 1a (with child’s medicine), 1d (No ring..), 7d (..a good link to tweet), 27a (extroverted son..) and 28a (arguments from females in residence..)

Many thanks Jay and thank you 2Kiwis – blue sky in Macclesfield today, time to go outside.

4. George
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Another straightforward puzzle today. The west side went in quickly for me but I did have to think more about the east side. 12a was a new word for me but easily worked out from the clue.

Overall I would say 1*/4*

Thanks to setter and 2K for the blog.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Pure pleasure from beginning to end.
    Loved 7d particularly even if I was trying to make an anagram of that’s, the end of with and ag, I was left with an extra t.
    Another good misdirection was 5d.
    14d appeared not long ago but it’s such a lovely monkey.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.

6. Collywobbles
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A fine puzzle which I found challenging with a little help from 2KWs. 12a was a new word for me and I couldn’t figure the ending of 5d, and still don’t. Thanks to 2KW and to Jay for a super crossword

Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:55 am | Permalink

5d the old South American is an INCA – Remove the N (name less) and voila.

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Merci CS & 2KWs

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

The old South American is INCA. You just have to remove the N (abbreviation for ‘name’).

7. JonP
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I found this fairly straightforward and enjoyable as always on a Wednesday. Thanks to the 2kiwis and Jay **/****

8. Framboise
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Super crossword which I found quite challenging but not impossible. Needed the review for 7d – although I am sure that I would have got there with a little more perseverance. Thought of Kath with 10a – lovely picture from the 2KWs! Had a fight with 1a but succeeded in the end, same with 12a – enjoyed the brain tussle. Agree with 3*/4*. Realized that 24 was hidden after the deed, oops! Did not know that promo was used in English as well. Difficult to name a favourite as lots of clues were so clever: liked 15a, 5d and 23a. Many thanks to Jay and the 2KWs. Thunderstorm last night but the sun is back. Going back to Sussex at the end of the month and wondering how we shall survive below 20C temperatures!

9. fran
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

A really enjoyable solve , last in but don’t know why 8d .Thanks to the 2Kiwis and the setter **/*****

10. Miffypops
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Not just 10ac for Kath. Have a look at the word for “dear” in 8d. As usual with a Jayday a bit of work to do to finish. A nice workout for a hungover head. Last night was the Crib League Presentation Night. I forgot to mention that my team won the league after leading all season. Audrey also won the ladies Singles Competition. Saint Sharons team were runners up in a cup competition and their player Des Mitchell won the overall singles competition. For those of you who remember the kitchen re-fit i did, you may like to know that I have recommenced the bathroom re-fit Saint Sharon started nearly nine years ago.

• Hanni
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

You won your crib league?????? Why didn’t you say something sooner. Your natural modesty has prevented us all following the highs and lows of the success this season. Well done MP and to Captain Cobley.

• Tstrummer
      Posted June 11, 2015 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Crib? You never told us that you played crib

11. omar
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle, only marred (for me) by 8d (which I had never heard of)….I particularly liked 21a……**/*** – without 8d it would have been 8**/****

Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Terrific puzzle from Jay today.I needed the hint for 12a and that sorted the problems I was having with the top right corner.
    Quite a few great clues including 1d, 7d, 13a, 21a, but my favourite was 16d.
    Thanks Kiwis for the pic of the heron.We have lots of herons in a nearby river.It is lovely to watch them but it puts me off having a fish pond as the fish wouldn’t last very long.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I have a fish pond with Koi and goldfish, and the local herons are my sworn enemies. The only solution I have found, other than putting a net across the whole pond (which is very unsightly), is to put linked “pondfloat” (floating black plastic mesh) round the edge to stop them wading. It’s not ideal but at least you can see the fish in the centre of the pond, and they don’t get eaten!.

• GrumpyBob
        Posted June 25, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I’ve put some posts around my pond and wrapped fishing wire between them.. Can’t see the wire but can see the pond. Seems to work, we’ve had the heron in the garden several times but don’t seem to have lost any fish.

Posted June 25, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, GrumpyBob.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I loved it all. 2* difficulty and at least 4* for enjoyment.
    I usually get completely stuck on my last few answers on Wednesdays – today it was just one.
    7d looked like such an unlikely mixture of letters that I thought I must have got something wrong – got there eventually.
    Not many anagrams – I make it three and a bit. Three 21a lurkers too, and I found them all!
    I liked 11 and 27a and 5 and 7d. I’m making an exception today and going for joint favourites – 10a and 8d – my Pet Lambs, as spotted by MP! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    With thanks to Jay and the 2K’s.
    Toughie’s putting up a bit of a fight – if gazza says it’s easy and gives it one or two stars for difficulty I’ll cry!

• Hanni
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I agree about the Toughie Kath. Still have 11 to go. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted June 10, 2015 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I’ve got ten to go – off into the garden for a while now – maybe brain will do a bit of thinking while I’m out there, if it doesn’t get blown away. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

14. Beaver
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Best so far this week **/**** for me, liked 1a ,great surface read and 1d- and associated d’oh moments! Not sure about the ‘dearies’ in 10a but ok in 8d.Thanks to the 2 Kiwis for the review and pics-shame about the cricket!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

We were hoping to keep a very low profile about the cricket this time.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Hanni
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Did someone mention cricket? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

. . . not me guv, honest! Don’t understand anyway . . . is there a problem of some kind? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

15. Hanni
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

***/****

Slow and steady won the race today, a few R & W’s but more calmly thinking through each clue. I do like Jay.

5d was my last in and I certainly needed the blog to parse it. 10a made me smile and think of Kath. 12a had to be checked.

I can’t name a favourite as I thought that the whole thing was eloquently constructed.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for an excellent blog. Always a joy to read.

16. happy days
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

A lot of good surface readings. Nice short clues. I was entertained. Thanks to Jay and to both Kiwis

17. Liz
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

A really nice puzzle ..not too taxing and some great neat clues. I particularly liked 4d, 7d, 8d and 21a. Got 5d, but was a bit unsure of the rationale for the end of the word, so had to use the hint…I had the ‘ica’ from American, but totally failed to link it to the old S American! Anyway finished in record time again, so pretty pleased with myself…certainly wouldn’t give it 3* for difficulty…that’s only if I have to use the hints a lot. More like a 1*/4* for me I think…brain must be in gear at last! Perishing here in N Norfolk, wind off the N Sea….Brrrrr…… Thanks to setter and 2Ks for the hint.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. I enjoyed this, but it was too difficult for me. Got the bottom half ok, but needed 6 hints to finish. Missed the anagram in 19a. Favourite was 16d, brilliant. Got the end of 5d, but could only think of brassica. Was 4*/3* for me. The promised sun seems to be getting later and later in Central London.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this. Of course, like everyone else, I thought of Kath at 10a.
    Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today. Asked a few questions but great fun.
    Learned a new word in plangent but so good to see a puzzle with a slightly different theme in medicine. Last in was 24d, so well hidden!
    Thx to all.

21. silvanus
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Brilliant stuff, extremely enjoyable to solve and just the right balance in terms of degree of difficulty.

The surfaces were so polished that an important visitor must have been expected!

Personal favourites were 1a and 1d, but I also liked 9a, 19a, 8d and 16d.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

22. Angel
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Plenty of food for thought and a slow start but worth the effort in the end. South beat North to it. Can’t believe 7d didn’t dawn on me and I stupidly needed 2Ks’ help to parse 1a. A bit unsure about the generalities of china=23a and condition=8d. Thanks Jay and 2Ks.
    ****/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted June 10, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

8d is a medical condition which you probably only know if you, or one of your offspring, have had it.
      I remember having it when I was quite little – very scabby face – not pretty at all – but what I remember is that I wasn’t allowed to go to a birthday party in case the rest of them caught it! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Hilary
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

And you got painted with gentian violet. I was lucky I did not catch it but I had a friend called Tanis who seemed to to have it on a permanent basis.

• Angel
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Yes, I’m well aware of what Impetigo is but it is with the clue that I have a slight argument as it couldn’t stand up alone. So many things qualify as merely condition. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

23. Young Salopian
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

5d and 12a had me thinking for a while and turned this into a solid **\*** for me. Great puzzle though, and hugely enjoyable, rather like England’s demolition of NZ yesterday which I did not expect.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

A bit quiet here today – where are you all?
    Feeling like Billy-no-mates! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    Wake up Kiwis – need some company . . .

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

We’re awake now Kath. That must be the latest we have slept on a Thursday for months. Having a late night at Bridge might have helped but feel confident that our bodies have at last accepted that the time that the clocks tell us, is the correct time. Hi everyone. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

If it’s not cribbage it’s bridge. Does anybody play tarot? Such a wonderful game.
        If you like cards, have a go at the guardian Saturday prize from last weekend. It’s a real gem. Free online.

Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Late on parade today, but this challenging but very enjoyable puzzle was well worth waiting for. I agree with the 2Ks’ rating of 3*/4*. The very clever all-in-one 16d was my favourite.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

26. Hilary
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Very late starting but struggled through with lots of help to explain what I had bunged in. Thought of Kath with 10a and 8d brought back childhood memories, loved 1a and d but my real favourite has to be 5d another childhood taste memory. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

You keep on bunging em in Hilary. I do it all the time. Look where it got me.

27. RichardW
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Found this pretty straightforward – finished with no dictionary help in relatively short time. The last few days on the other hand….http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted June 10, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Quite gentle, but most enjoyable: 1*/4*. Some nice clues, of which 1a was my favourite. Many thanks to Jay, and to the 2 Kiwis for their usual entertaining review.

29. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 10, 2015 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

A game of two halves for me. First sitting yesterday evening was a doddle and then off to see shania twain – excellent. This afternoon’s restart was far from straightforward but paid off in the end. 12 a was new to me. Thanks to the setter for the workout and the 2Ks for the review. ***/***.

30. Tstrummer
    Posted June 11, 2015 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Started this on the train home and raced through. I thought I was in for a record time, finishing before my stop, but I was left with three or four unsolved when I had to trudge out into the night. Once indoors, they remained unsolved for half a pint (that’s really only one swallow at the end of a hard day) and then, grey cells lubricated, in they popped. Last one in was 19a, because I didn’t see the anagram (?) until I read the hints, I just bunged it in as I couldn’t think of anything else it could be. Favourite clue has to be 8d, my penultimate one. So thanks to Jay for the usual sterling stuff and to KK for another standout blog and for helping me to parse 5d – I got the old S American, but didn’t see the treasure. 2*/3* for me

31. ezfer
    Posted June 11, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Even as an occasional reader of this blog I thought of Kath when filling in 10a! (missed the 8d ref though). Very pleased that I managed to finish this one in fairly quick time and to then find that 3* difficulty rating. Struggled somewhat with NE corner, eventually getting 7d & 8d then 5d and12a last to fall – a new word for me. Thanks to Jay for a satisfying challenge & to 2Kiwis for confirming my thinking.

Posted June 11, 2015 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay. I found that quite difficult and with playing catch-up as well decided to use one or two – or three of your clear hints 2Kiwis, for which many thanks and for your review. Summer seems to have arrived in UK while we have been away, so its lawn mowing etc and hopefully a Pimms and barbeque this evening http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

33. Kitty
    Posted June 11, 2015 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Lovely weather here if you like it warm and sunny. Lovely crossword if you like crosswords of low-medium difficulty and high quality. Everything else is everything else.

I consulted the oracle for 5d. Treasure was probably not going to bring forth an angel to my mind, and even with the answer I couldn’t see the Inca. Oh well. We can’t always be on top form.

Lots of great clues. I was a little underwhelmed by 6d but really liked many, for example 12a.

Thanks to Jay. Thanks to the Kiwis.

I like the heron. We have a couple (not NZ ones, obviously) near to us and I always say hello when I pass by. It has also been a good year for ducklets and swanlings.

34. Bernard Juby
    Posted June 19, 2015 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Plenty of goodies here. One new word (Plangent) but my favourite was 5d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif