Hints and tips by Kitty

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

One of Monday’s blogging team has been hard at work this weekend, the other hard at play. As the latter, it falls to me to do the hints today.

Rufus has done his thing once again. It’s a Kitty-friendly puzzle, what with answers like 12a and 23d. As such I hope you will indulge me in a rather feline blog. I found it easy going, but slowed down somewhat at the end.

Definitions are underlined in the clues. If you want to see the actual answer then press ANSWER to reveal all. If you do not want to see the answer, do not click.

1a Awakening of love in Laura’s unexpected (7)
AROUSAL: Insert the letter that looks like zero (love, in tennis) into an anagram (unexpected) of LAURA’S.

5a Tommy’s upset about parking warning sign (7)
SYMPTOM: A second clue to match the first. An anagram of TOMMY’S around the abbreviation for P(arking).

9a Teacher‘s expression of disgust with our skipping university (5)
TUTOR: A clicky sound of disapproval followed by OUR from the clue without (skipping) U(niversity).

10a Stores periodically issued? (9)
MAGAZINES: Stores of ammunition, or periodicals.

11a Business residence (10)
OCCUPATION: A job or profession, or the act of living in a building or place.

12a How to express satisfaction at a stroke? (4)
PURR: The stroke is a caress, and in this case it produces the sound of a happy cat. A quick introduction to Cole and Marmalade – you’ll be seeing them again!

14a Possibly she dreams it’s a principal post (12)
HEADMISTRESS: This school principal is an anagram (possibly) of SHE DREAMS IT’S.

18a I accept order mistakenly went to and fro (12)
RECIPROCATED: An anagram (mistakenly) of I ACCEPT ORDER. Given quid pro quo.

21a Constantly right (4)
TRUE: Right or genuine. The answer also means constant or faithful.

22a Our respect will be misplaced for such an oppressor (10)
PERSECUTOR: OUR RESPECT will be anagrammed (misplaced) to form a tyrant. Here are two – I said you’d be seeing them again!

25a Freely able to speak with added detail (9)
ELABORATE: An anagram (freely) of ABLE and then to make a formal declarative speech.

26a Oil producer under pressure has a heart of stone (5)
OLIVE: A cryptic definition that is nicely misleading. Put all thoughts of crude oil out of your mind. This fruit, which has a stone at its centre, is pressed to make oil.

27a It provides backing for actors (7)
SCENERY: The backdrop in a theatre.

28a One in no hurry to leave the hospital? (7)
PATIENT: Someone undergoing medical treatment might be this when suffering delays without complaint.

1d Gesture that produces a lawsuit (6)
ACTION: Behaviour. Or court proceedings.

2d Fresh topics for study by light-minded scientists (6)
OPTICS: An anagram (fresh) of TOPICS gives the branch of physics to do with light.

3d Squabble a great deal? Rubbish! (10)
SCRAPHEAPS: Piles of rubbish, formed from a quarrel or fight followed by a great deal, as in lots or oodles.

4d I’m fired about restrictive practice (5)
LIMIT: A word meaning set fire to around (about) the I’M from the clue in a rather Yoda-like construction. To restrict or confine within bounds.

5d Foreign girl who drops in after marriage (9)
SIGNORINA: The Italian for an unmarried lady, where dropping the IN would give her title when married.

6d It has misleading passages (4)
MAZE: Some passages or paths in this lead to a dead end.

7d Hairstyles for 16? (8)
TONSURES: Not very cryptic if your first thought is that 16 refers to 16d. Shaven crowns.

8d Spray coat produced by damp suspect (8)
MISTRUST: A fine spray of liquid and then a (usually highly unwelcome) coat produced when iron reacts with water and oxygen. Suspect in this case is a verb.

13d Extend an invitation to sleep on the floor? (7,3)
STRETCH OUT: To elongate. If you said this to someone you could be inviting them to lay at full length.

15d Variety of odder army transport (9)
DROMEDARY: An anagram (variety) of ODDER ARMY gives a creature one might use to cross a desert. One hump, not two.

16d Relatives in a religious order (8)
BROTHERS: Not sisters … not nuns. The male counterparts.

17d True account supported by cleric (8)
ACCURATE: The abbreviation for account precedes (supported by, in a down clue) a clergyman in the Church of England.

19d A way to travel is to walk (6)
STRIDE: Two letters for a type of road followed by a word meaning to travel on an animal or vehicle (or a broomstick, which Chambers also specifies in its definition!).

20d Passionate study in art (6)
ARDENT: A room in a house inside the ART from the clue.

23d Old Prime Minister’s going up to rest (5)
SLEEP: Reverse the first Conservative prime minister together with the ‘S from the clue. To take rest by surrendering consciousness. I could use a little more of this right now!

funny-sleeping-cats-26

24d Intended to go to Eastern Front (4)
FORE: The first three letters of our final answer (and my last in) are defined by the first four words of the clue. Follow this with E(astern) to get the front part of something, especially a ship.

My favourite clue today was – surprise, surprise – 12a. What was yours?

The Quick Crossword pun: PURSE+PYRE=PERSPIRE

1. Ora Meringue
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Check your hint for 20d

• Kitty
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Now fixed – thanks, Ora.

• Ora Meringue
        Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

2. George
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

All went very well for me with today’s puzzle with the exception of 5d. I sat there for quite a while with the puzzle otherwise complete trying to work out the wordplay – until I finally understood what it all meant!

So on balance 2*/4* I think.

Thanks to everyone as usual for puzzle and blog.

3. Ora Meringue
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one as I usually do on Mondays.
    Struggled with 24d until I saw the hint.
    Thanks to the setter and to Kitty.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Good fun thank you Rufus and thanks to you Kitty for your review and hints – and photos of course !

Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:19 am | Permalink

1.5*/4*. Light and fun as ever from the Monday maestro.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Kitty.

6. Angel
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I’m not often stuck for 4-letter words but, like you Kitty, 24d stymied me but it had to be that. Otherwise just nicely challenging and helped by several anagrams although not my favourite things. Took a while for 7d to spring to mind. Not sure about 11a and first word of the clue being synonymous. Fav(s) 5d and 26d as simple enigmas. ***/***. Thanks Rufus and Kitty. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

7. Hanni
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:19 am | Permalink

*/***

R & W Monday. I like R & W Monday because I’m rather nervous about The Don does Tuesday.

Last in was also 24d, that took some sorting.

Nice way to start the solving week.

Many thanks to the setter and to Kitty for a fine blog. Thought of you when 12a went in!.

8. Miffypops
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:27 am | Permalink

A great big thank you to Kitty today. The Open University and its deadlines are far more important than this blog. I owe you one Kitty. XX

• Liz
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Tell me about it!

Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

It all went together very smoothly for us without any significant delays and plenty to smile about along the way. Enjoyed all the cute pics too.
    Thanks Rufus and Kitty.

10. Senf
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus for another straightforward start to the week finished comfortably before lights out last night. Although 24d was a bit of a head scratcher and was the last in. Thanks to Kitty for the very pleasant illustrations above.

11. Paso Doble
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

An enjoyable Monday Rufus – a 2/3.5 for us. Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review – we loved Marmalade and Cole and their plans to dominate the world.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

1* (just about) difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    I thought there were lots of anagrams – I don’t mind as I like them – I made it eight and tried, briefly, to make an extra one at 8d.
    21a was rather absent mindedly ‘ever’ but 16 and 17d soon sorted that one out.
    24d was my last answer – something had to be.
    No real problems.
    I liked 5 and 12a and 3d.
    With thanks to Rufus and to Kitty.
    Fed-up with the weather http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif but off to France tomorrow for a couple of days http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Jane
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Have a lovely time, Kath. Any chance you’ll get to see Jean-luc (or even Mr. T!).

Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks, and no to both bits in the second sentence – only away for a couple of days and a night in the middle.

13. Collywobbles
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Now, I do like anagrams as a means to get into a crossword, and I am a committed Rufus fan because he usually starts the week with a laugh, a doable puzzle, and some clues which are stretching, but I do feel that there may be too many anagrams today. Sorry Rufus

Having said that I am really enjoying the puzzle

Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I agree with Collwobbles, at least , that was how it felt while solving. I just counted them and I got 7 enigmas, as Angel puts it.Perhaps 7 isn’t too many.
    I like 12a , 25a and 26a among others. I don’t think I would have solved 8d or 24d without Kitty’s hints.Four lovely feline illustrations ! Well done.
    Thanks to all concerned.

• Collywobbles
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Perhaps I was premature. It seemed like more than 7 and they were very helpful

15. happy days
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable romp as usual from Rufus. I do agree with others, though, that it was rather too heavy on anagrams

16. Jane
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Pretty much R&W with the exception (as others found) of 24d, which involved a bit of head scratching.
    Just as well MP wasn’t blogging today, with all those anagrams!
    Liked 21&28a plus 3&17d. Favourite goes to 5d.

Thanks to Rufus and also to Kitty – had a feeling you’d like 12a!

Back to the Rookie now – causing me all sorts of grief.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Yes – Mr Rookie is causing me a load of grief too.
      Having said Mr Rookie I wonder if he is a she – only from the name really. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

37.65% of this grid could be completed by anagrams alone. Not that I noticed until you mentioned it Jane

• Jane
        Posted June 1, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

You should be getting on with your coursework – not checking percentages of anagrams. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

The final EMA for my current module was submitted at 11.55 am. The next module (number 3 of 6) begins in mid September

17. dutch
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Rufus treats us to some delightful anagrams today. I particularly like 2d (fresh topics) and 25a (freely able to speak). I also like 26a (oil producer)

I didn’t recognise anything cryptic in 7d thinking only of 16d.

Lovely puzzle, many thanks Rufus and thank you Kitty for the introductions to your family.

18. toadson
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I found this one slightly ‘mechanical’ – how many anagrams?? Nonetheless, thanks to all!

Posted June 1, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

OK, maybe slightly anagram-heavy but lots of nice cryptic clues too. I liked 8d, 5d and 25a, of which the middle one was my tip for the top. 1*/4* overall, and a nice way to kick off the week. VMTs to Rufus, and to Kitty for a purrfect review. You have some splendidly relaxed pussies!

Posted June 1, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Apart from 24d which was a dreadful clue, the rest were very pleasant. Especially liked 26a which was very clever. Such a shame the setter spoilt it with 24d.
    Thx to all.

• MickyH
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Totally agree on 24 down – went through the whole alphabet (mentally) dismissing the correct answer very early…grrr!

• tstrummer
      Posted June 2, 2015 at 1:34 am | Permalink

For once, Brian, I am in total agreement with you

Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review and hints. A very gentle start to the week. Was 1*/3* for me. Favourite was 8d. Last in was 24d, took me a while to get it. Raining at Headingley.

• MickyH
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Don’t think even biblical-type rain will help there!

22. mebebob
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

My hold up with 24d was trying to match the answer with ‘ intended’ and that ‘front’ meant the first letter of ‘eastern’.

23. williamus
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Another nice start to the week. Agree 2* for difficulty but 4* for enjoyment, but then Mr Squires’ puzzles just do it for me. Like Kitty 24d was the last one in… how can a four letter word where you have half the checking letters be such a teaser? 15d was my favourite. Many thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review and the explanation to 24d.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Almost forgot to drop in as it was over well before the blog was open.
    And the rookie took all my undivided attention.
    I was only slowed down by writing dromadery in 15d. Soon rectified and I shall vote for it being my favourite mode of transport. Weather forecasters predict that in 30 years, we’ll have the same climate as North Africa. Bring on the camels !
    Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the kittyful review.

25. omar
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

24d was my last too…..a thoroughly enjoyable and tightly clued puzzle….

26. Liz
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Nice easy one today…confidence restored! No real problems, although a bit slow to start…the anagrams are always welcome in such situations…then plain sailing. 1*/2** as no real aha! or laugh out loud instances. 1st day of summer and its perishing here in North Norfolk!

27. silvanus
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

The usual gentle introduction to the week and an abundance of pleasing anagrams:-)

Favourite clue is 12a, I’m beginning to wonder whether our Monday setter knows who will be doing the review on here and is deliberately including feline-related clues?!

Many thanks to Rufus and to Kitty.

• Miffypops
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I doubt it Silvanus. I asked Kitty to do it alone at 7.00am this morning as I went out for a pint last night instead of working on my essay. The clue doesn’t need to be feline related for Kitty. It just needs to be a clue.

28. Gwizz
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

A very gentle introduction to the week… and month!
    Virtually a R&W although good fun regardless. Favourite clue was 8d.
    Overall 1*/2.5*
    Thanks to Rufus for letting us off easy, and Kitty for the review.

29. Collywobbles
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Well done Kitty, good and clear hints. I am a little troubled by all the cats though. My dogs don’t like cats, except at certain times of the day. Super puzzle Rufus, I’m looking forward to next Monday

• Kitty
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Dinner time?

For you and all the other dog fans on the blog, I present The Oatmeal and his best friend:

My dog: the paradox.

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Well done Kitty, very funny. It’s not Rambo however. Rolf and Ruggy have left us but Riley takes their place and the meal is breakfast.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

I can’t even be bothered to comment on that load of rubbish! not funny at all and I wish I hadn’t spent a few minutes of my life on it.

• Angel
          Posted June 1, 2015 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Hear hear Kath – what is this blog coming to! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Collywobbles
            Posted June 2, 2015 at 6:45 am | Permalink

If you think that Rolf and Ruggy leaving us is a load of rubbish you should be ashamed and I still mourn their passing, as I would any animal

30. bfgp
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

24 down
    nope – still can’ see it!!

• Kitty
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, bfgp.

The answer is front as opposed to aft. Moving away from ships and towards animals, the legs in front of the hind legs would be the ____legs.

• Jane
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Hi & welcome, bfgp.
      If you intended something to go to a person known as E, you might well say it was ‘for E’ as opposed to anyone else.
      Does that help, or make it worse?!!!

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I adore you Jane.
        I always love reading your comments.
        I can’t wait for BD to ask you to do a review. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_heart.gif

• Jane
          Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Posted June 1, 2015 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Hear, hear. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Miffypops says YES! Pommers? Kitty? Gazza? Big Dave?

• bfgp
        Posted June 2, 2015 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Thanks Jane, brilliant!!
        Finally got it after your cogent explanation!

I’ve been doing the Telegraph Cryptic for over 50 years (I hope to finish it shortly) and I don’t think I’ve ever been so slow to see a perfectly proper clue, especially as the rest of the crossword took about *******.

Thanks for putting me out of my miseryhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

I gave up on this one bfgp. Leave it to Kitty I thought. leave it ti Kitty I did. Kitty wont let us down.

31. pommers
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

21a is a poor clue. As Kitty says the answer means constant or right, not constantLY. 24d is about the worst clue so far this year but the rest was a doddle. As far as I’m concerned it gets */**.

Thanks to Rufus and Kitty – like the cats, especially 13d http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Kitty
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Interesting. I only underlined the second word in 21a because I thought the same. But according to the BRB, the answer can also be an adverb. So I have now changed my mind and think it is a reasonable enough double definition.

I didn’t mind 24d either (once I’d got it and breathed a sigh of relief, anyway). I’m not picking a fight, pommers – honest[ly]! You do describe precisely my experience with many a Rufus. Now, of course, Mondays are different for me and any crossword which I can do and parse before panic has time to set in is a veritable gift from above.

32. ezfer
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Fell into place fairly easily except for a couple of problems. Got checking letters for 5d and thought word might be signorita (confusing two different languages?) so wordplay didn’t make much sense until I looked up correct spelling – then probably my favourite clue. Last one in was 1a – had put ‘motion’ for 1d so couldn’t fit any answer into checkers (despite thinking early on that 1a ought to be o + anagram I then didn’t think to question my answer to 1d so convinced myself Laura was some plant name or literary reference that I’d never heard of…!). Didn’t get held up too long by 24d – agree it was tricky but a nice ‘aha’ moment once solved. I also liked 12a, 8d and 17d so an enjoyable solve – thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the answer to 1a!

33. Mr Kitty
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

A wonderful start to the week – thanks to Rufus for that. All those anagrams helped get things off to a good start. Like most, 24d was my last in. After groaning a bit when the penny finally dropped, I decided it was a clever piece of misdirection with its implication that “intended” was the definition. Favourite has to be 12a, even if I didn’t get it right away (which I certainly should have.)

Thanks to Kitty for the witty review and the entertaining illustrations. I happen to know that when it comes to relaxing there are few that can touch Kitty, so the pictures for 13d and 23d brought a smile. I’m not a horse person, but I did like the photo for 18a.

34. Franco
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Is it tomorrow when we have the Don x 5 …

… Duck, Pasquale, Quixote, Bradman, and Giovanni ?

I’m leaving the country.

Posted June 1, 2015 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

. . . we’re off to France! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Hanni
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I’m confining myself to a darkened room. Failing that I’m going to grab a large stick and periodically poke the papers and see if they growl. It would be ludicrous to suggest that I’ve been studying obscure facts about birthdays.

• Miffypops
        Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Just get on with it. It is all doable in time.

• Jane
          Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Is this the same man who recently confessed to giving up on 24d today? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Hanni
            Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Brilliant Jane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

‘Doable’ may be possible for you MP, but the Don is my downfall and combined with a heavy cold it does not bode well.

• Miffypops
            Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Yup. It’s me. I only gave up because I didn’t have to blog it. Monday will not be so cute next week I can tell you

35. McMillibar
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Gaily tripped through this offering until stubbing my toes on 24d. A great clue with a stunning mis-direction. At no time did I think ‘front’ was the definition. I had HOPE in there… Okay… But I was getting a bit desperate. Lots of good clues here but particularly liked 12 & 26a. Thanks RayT and Kitt-T.

• Jane
      Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Hi McM,
      Yes – I was also full of HOPE for a while. Then I tried ROSE………!
      Shame that so many others seem to have disliked this one – I thought it was rather good.

BTW – Rufus today, not Mr. T.

36. Kitty
    Posted June 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Well, I am sleep-deprived and have some very busy days ahead, so I’m off to bed now and may not be around much for the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your kind comments.

37. tstrummer
    Posted June 2, 2015 at 1:50 am | Permalink

A signal failure at Norwood junction had me shifted through three different trains at London Bridge tonight before the fourth finally brought me home. With all that waiting (plus an argument with a most unpleasant member of the Southern railway staff who wouldn’t stop shouting at the gaggle of increasingly irate passengers gathering round him) this Rufus slipped gently into place, until 24d. After running through the alphabet I settled on the right answer, but I thought it was a dreadful clue and not worthy of the Monday maestro, so I’m docking him 2 stars for making an already grumpy man fume til little jets of steam came out the ears and Inspector Dreyfus style twitching began to upset fellow night travellers.
    Many thanks to Kitty for the over-pussied review and thanks, with some finger-wagging, to Rufus. 2*/2*

38. Chrisitr
    Posted June 2, 2015 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Had Brethren for 16d, which seemed to fit as I worked down the puzzle.