Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ***

Less than a week now before we leave for our brief visit to where most of you live. All very exciting and one of the highlights will be meeting at least some of you at The George on 19th May.
This will be the last regular Wednesday blog we will be doing for a few weeks although we hope that we will not be totally out of touch.
Good stuff from Jay once again today. The NE corner was once more the trickiest one for us.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Cause followed by friend from time to time (12)
OCCASIONALLY : The friend here is possibly a military one and is preceded by a synonym for cause used in its verbal sense.

9a     Sweden anticipates new Romanian republic (3,6)
SAN MARINO : The IVR code for Sweden precedes (anticipates) an anagram (new) of ROMANIAN.
imgres

10a      It should beat a runner, for example (5)
PULSE : A runner, or perhaps a pea or a lentil even, are examples of this.

11a     Pressure line like this found in one pub (6)
ISOBAR : A two letter synonym for ‘like this’ is inside the Roman numeral one and a pub.
images

12a     Government supporter wielding party axe? (8)
TAXPAYER : Anagram (wielding) of PARTY AXE.

13a     Tactic doctor employed during walk (6)
GAMBIT : One of the many two letter abbreviations for doctor is inserted into a word for a way of walking.

15a     Fail to get on record broadcast (8)
DISCLOSE : The record here is described by its shape, and precedes a word meaning ‘fail to get’ or misplace.

18a     Condiments made from French wine and grapes fermented without phosphorus (8)
VINEGARS : The French word for wine is followed by an anagram (fermented) of GRAPES after the chemical symbol for phosphorus is removed.
imgres

19a     A quiet drive, and a place for contemplation (6)
ASHRAM : A from the clue, then the two letter instruction to be quiet, then a word for drive or thrust roughly.
imgres

21a     Reserve time to visit coast (3,5)
SET ASIDE : Take another word meaning the coast and insert T(ime) as the third letter.

23a     Restore salesman’s demeanour? (6)
REPAIR : The abbreviation for a travelling salesman, then a word for demeanor or manner.

26a     All square in topless form of rugby? (5)
EVENS : The form of rugby played with a smaller than standard sized team (and which New Zealand wins quite regularly) with the first letter removed.
imgres

27a     Fitting engaged sign on back only, initially (9)
TAILORING : The engaged sign is what a fiancee might wear on her finger. It follows a word for the back or last part and then the first letter of only.

28a     Changing printer seems to give a false impression (12)
MISREPRESENT : An anagram (changing) of PRINTER SEEMS.

1d     Removing son during pleasure trip (7)
OUSTING : The abbreviation for son is included in a word for a small pleasure trip.

2d     Firm retaining worker to produce a bit of poetry (5)
CANTO : Our usual insect worker appears inside the abbreviation for a company.

3d     Marine worrying as if angler will lose line (9)
SEAFARING : Marine here is an adjective. It is an anagram (worrying) of AS IF ANGLER after L(ine) has been removed.
images

4d     State loves welcoming greeting (4)
OHIO : Two tennis score loves surround a short informal greeting.

5d     Sort of plant for a dreamer with no name? (8)
AROMATIC : Start with A from the clue, then a word for a dreamer, and then remove the N(ame) from this word.

6d     Improving after circuit, getting to drink eagerly (3,2)
LAP UP : A three letter word for a circuit is followed by a word meaning improving.
imgres

7d     Footballer perhaps must cover shot for lover of drama (4-4)
PLAY-GOER : A two letter word for a shot or turn is inserted in the middle of what a footballer is an example of.
imgres

8d     Decline, missing a second order (6)
DECREE : A synonym for decline has removed from it A from the clue and S(econd).

14d     Terminals planned with no area for an entertainer (8)
MINSTREL : An anagram (planned) of TERMINALS after A(rea) has been removed.
images

16d     Fool invested in Creole cooking pot (9)
CASSEROLE : An animal synonym for a fool is inserted into an anagram (cooking) of CREOLE.

17d     One’s owed money from councillor and journalist (8)
CREDITOR : The abbreviation for councillor is followed by a senior journalist.

18d     Blood line? (6)
VESSEL : A cryptic definition of a tube in the circulatory system.

20d     Special man having strength to cross river twice (2,5)
MR RIGHT : A word for strength surrounds two river abbreviations.

22d     Transport mainly carrying American food (5)
SUSHI : A word meaning to transport usually by sea has its last letter removed and the abbreviation for American included.

24d     Mature, about 49, and able to move quickly (5)
AGILE : A word meaning mature as a verb has the Roman numeral 49 inside it.

25d     An ineffective person — or Mayfair politician (4)
WIMP : The postal area (we assume) of Mayfair is followed by the abbreviation for a politician.

20a was chosen as favourite by the team-member who reckons she found one (or maybe not)!

Quickie pun    lie  +  tree  +  leaf  =  light relief

Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

2*/3.5*. Great fun as ever from Jay. I was cruising along nicely, almost R&W for three quarters of the puzzle, when yet again the NE corner held me up.

12a was my runaway favourite.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks – lovely pictures, especially 6d.

P.S. For Expat Chris – 4d is fine by me :wink:

2. George
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Quite an easy romp today. I quit enjoyed this puzzle but maybe that was as a relief from my struggles yesterday!

!*/4* for me.

Thanks to all as usual.

3. JonP
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Fairly straightforward and up to Jay’s usual high standards. Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay **/****

4. dutch
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

These days whenever the crossword is really on the back page, I think ah good, Cryptic Sue will be happy.

Enjoyable solve today, not too taxing

I liked “anticipating” in 9a, 12a (government supporter) is very nice and gave me a chuckle, I liked 14d (terminals planned) and 20d (special man).

The Phosphorus felt like a bit of a jolt in 18d – is there some basis for including phosphorus in grape fermentation?

Many thanks setter and 2Kiwi’s, and I very much look forward to meeting you on the 19th!

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Dutch, although I am an expert in drinking wine I know rather less about making the stuff! However I do believe that wine does contain small amounts of phosphorus in the form of some type of phosphate (which thankfully is rather more benign than pure phosphorus!) I guess this must either be added when the wine is being made or possibly derived from fertilizers used when growing grapes.

• Dutch
        Posted April 29, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that

how about
        “…without phosphates, initially”

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted April 29, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Dutch, I don’t think that’s necessary because phosphates are chemical compounds which contain the element phosphorus (combined with oxygen). So the surface reading of the clue seems fine to me as it is.

5. overtaxed
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Agree with 2Ks. Top rh corner held me up but having said that, I found this a lot easier than yesterday’s. Favourite was 12a once the penny dropped.
    Thanks to the setter and 2 Kiwis.

6. Khinjan
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Knocked this one off in no time.

BD. If you monitor this, can you drop me a line? I met you and we had a photo of us at Cambridge.

I’d like to be in e-mail contact with you and some of the other luminaries of the cruciberbalist community.

7. Angel
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink

This really was a proverbial walk in the park helped by numerous anagrams but somehow it didn’t really feel like a Jay offering however I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you. Thanks also 2Kiwis for your temporary farewell hinting and bon voyage to these shores followed by a happy time here. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif In my book good clues included 10a, 12a, 21a and 26a. */****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

8. Ora Meringue
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, though needed the hints for some of the NE corner.
    (10a and 8d had me foxed).

Didn’t like 18d much.
    Favourite for me was 27a.

Thank you to the 2 Kiwis and I hope you enjoy your trip to the UK very much.
    Thanks also to the setter.

9. Hanni
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:44 am | Permalink

**/****

Pretty much what RD said, R&W until the NE corner.

Great fun from Jay as always. 12a and 20d provided plenty of amusement.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwi’s for a great blog as ever. Enjoy your trip!

10. omar
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Me too…fairly straightforward except for a couple in the NE corner…..I did not know 9ac was a republic but worked it out and then googled it…

11. Beaver
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Always seem to be a star behind the 2 K’s, and here we are again with a **/***- nice pics as usual. No obscure words etc just clever cluing, liked 12a and 19a for the surface reads.-,thanks Jay.

12. Jay legs
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Nice enjoyable solve after some of the recent puzzles **/*** 12a 10a were the favourites Many thanks to the 2 Kiwis and Jay. Hope the weather improves for your visit to the UK, we have reverted to wet & windy again

13. silvanus
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I seem to be in good company, the NE corner took longer than the other three combined. Significantly less tricky than yesterday’s for sure.

Favourite for me was definitely 12a.

Many thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis (as I live in London I hope to pop along on May 19th and meet you :-))

14. fran
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

NE corner particularly 8d and 7d ” goer ” !!! led to problems with 15a. Never heard of 19a Liked 20d and 21a sent me into nostalgia mode or mood ***/ ***. Thanks to the 2 Kiwis

Posted April 29, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Over too soon, but fun. 12A gets my vote. Thanks, Jay and the 2Kiwis. Have a great trip! That’s one long trek. What route are you travelling?

• 2Kiwis
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Wellington – Melbourne – Dubai. The stops are just transit and refueling. You are right, it is a loooooong trek, but we enjoy flying.

Posted April 29, 2015 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

That’s one long journey. I’m SO glad you enjoy flying – I hate it – I get ants in the proverbials after about two hours – after four hours I want to kill whoever I’m sitting next to (unfortunately that’s usually husband or, in the past, one of the Lambs) and after six or more hours I want to crash my way into the pilot’s cabin and find an ejector seat button. Oh dear!!

• 2Kiwis
          Posted April 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

In that case Kath it might be a good idea to have an ample supply of tranquillizers before you come to visit us at home. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

. . . or a gun!!

• Expat Chris
        Posted April 30, 2015 at 4:34 am | Permalink

I went solo to Oz once, many years ago. Washington DC to New York . Change planes to LA. Another plane to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night to refuel. Then to Sydney. Change planes to Perth. 26+ hours travel time in all and heaven only knows how many time zones. I read six paperbacks and didn’t sleep a wink. I arrived in Perth to no luggage. It had never left DC! Those were the days when the airlines accepted responsibility and Qantas paid up handsomely for every day my luggage was late, and delivered it to the door. Super holiday, though, with big brother I had not seen in 17 years.

• JonP
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I just did UK to Sydney via LA and Honolulu – then back via LA, Chicago, Tennessee and Atlanta. I used to like flying – not quite as much now… Safe journey.

16. Kitty
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I lapped up this puzzle and no prizes for guessing my favourite answer and hint. Favourite overall is 20d. Incidentally, 5d 3d 20d put me in mind of Mr Snow from Carousel.

Thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis – I’m really looking forward to meeting you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif.

Posted April 29, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay for the Wednesday challenge
    – not too hard today. Thanks 2Kiwis for your review and hints. Rained off today and disappointed by a poor lunch at the famous inn at Southwold.

• hilary
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Which one?

• Sweet William
        Posted April 29, 2015 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

The Crown.

• hilary
          Posted April 29, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

You should have tried Coasters in Queen Street, my friend Ruth speaks favourably of them.

• Sweet William
            Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Thank you Hilary – will put it on the list !

• Miffypops
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Did you see the water clock on the pier?

• Sweet William
        Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Not today MP – but have enjoyed the fun on the pier in the past ! A bit wet and windy today.

• hilary
          Posted April 29, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Ah but it cleared up later.

• Sweet William
            Posted April 29, 2015 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Just in time for a walk on Westleton Heath listening to nightingales. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

18. Gwizz
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

A gentle stroll in the park for a change. Nothing too disturbing for once!
    Favourite was 20d and overall I think 1.5/2.5….thanks to Jay and well done the 2K’s; safe journey to you.

19. SheilaP
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Good straightforward puzzle today with some clues we could answer fairly easily and some which took a bit of solving, which is how it should be I think. I hope our weather warms up for your visit 2Kiwis, at the moment it is freezing here in the north, though probably warmer in the south. Thank you to the Wednesday setter and to the 2Kiwis.

20. Young Salopian
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

A good balanced puzzle today: some easy, some more thought-provoking. I too thought this one a tad easier than yesterday, but overall a 2/3 for me. Always like Jay’s wordplay.

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Good to see you back YS

Posted April 29, 2015 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Yes – I’m glad to see that you’re back too. Quite often people “pop in” and leave a comment and then disappear into the middle distance. Keep commenting, please. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

21. Liz
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Not too bad today. A bit slow to start, but once 9a went in, it seemed to speed up. Like others I found the NE corner a hold up. I had 7d pencilled in but had to use the hints to work out why. For a while I had ‘miscarry’ for 15a which threw things a bit. My favourite clue was 25d…….there are plenty of these around! Thanks to setter and to 2 Kiwis for hints. My rating is **/*** . Freezing up here in N Norfolk with a strong Norwesterly breeze……not quite time to pack the woollies away!

22. Toadson
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle. Glad to have finished it after yesterday’s (did less than half yesterday but really liked 4d when it eventually came to me this morning!). Thanks to all involved.

23. Miffypops
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Typical far from Jay. A very enjoyable and accessible puzzle which fell into place quite nicely. I failed to get 5d depite having all of the checkers. Thanks to Jay. Thanks also to the 2ks for their usual high standard review (although I do detect a certain bias towards their homeland, and why not?). Great pictures as always. I am hoping to get to meet you both in May but it is unlikely I will make the London meet on the 19th as I will be in Cornwall on holiday. Shame.

• Paso Doble
      Posted April 30, 2015 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Miffypops, you couldn’t have chosen a better place to go on holiday…..in our opinion!

24. Hilary
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

A very strange thing happened yesterday – a new book arrived in the post and I was so engrossed that I did not even look at the crossword. So I return to the fray today refreshed and sailed through with no electronic help at all a rare occurrence although a slight problem with reversing a couple of letters did hold me up slightly at one stage. No particular favourites or perhaps too many to mention and the anagrams brought joy to an old lady’s heart. Loins girded for Thursday which is always a bit of a challenge.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

My advice is not to be tempted with yesterday’s puzzle. It was very tough. Rejoice in today’s success Hilary. Well done. I hope the hip is better.

• hilary
        Posted April 29, 2015 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you much better. Reading blog makes me very glad I read my book instead of attempting crossword as it might have seen me back in the cupboard under the stairs with my box of tissues.

Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

All very pleasant and doable until I got to the north east corner,8d and 15a eluded me, so thanks for putting me out of my agony 2kiwis.
    12a was my favourite.

Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Marginally better than yesterday’s but still very difficult. Can’t get on the setters wavelength at all this week. Mind you it doesn’t help that I had no idea what either a canto or an ashram was! Still at least there was a couple of sports clues (no cricket though!).
    For me ***/**
    Thx to the 2kiwis whose hints I certainly needed today.

27. Tstrummer
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Enjoying the rare luxury of a midweek day off means I get to add my two-pennoth on the same day that the paper is published, after dealing with the locksmith, the laundrette, the recycling, an old Toughie from March and the washing up. I thought this was on the easy side, but then Jay and I always seem to get on just fine. I liked 12a, 7d and 20 down. Many thanks to Jay and K-squared (I hope to meet you in the George if you’re there early enough) for the usual professional review and pix. The ailurophiles out there (Kitty) will have appreciated the illustration for 6d. More of a dog man myself. 1*/3*

Posted April 29, 2015 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. Just four more sleeps before we go now. This is as exciting as Christmas for a six year old. It will be great to be able to put faces and voices to names that have become so familiar to us.
    Glad you enjoyed the puzzle and review. Cheers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Ginny
      Posted April 29, 2015 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Hope you have a very good journey and a great time over here.

Posted April 29, 2015 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

29. hilary
    Posted April 29, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

To 2Kiwis have an amazing trip wish I could get to meet you. Thanks for your help with crosswords and look forward to your return. P S you say you like flying – I must be one of the very few people who have never flown. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted April 29, 2015 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Very late today but nice clean house as a result – a bit http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif
    I think 2*/3* for difficulty and nearer 4* for enjoyment.
    Jay’s crosswords almost always have, for me at least, a few things in common:-
    1) I love them
    2) I’m very slow to get started
    3) The down clues go really well and make up for the lack of across answers on first read through – should always use CS’s law and start with with the downs on Wednesdays
    4) I always end up with about five problems at the end which take as much time as the whole of the rest of the crossword.
    26a and 7d made me go blind as that kind of clue always does.
    I spent too much time trying to make 15a into an anagram (broadcast) of ON RECORD.
    Also spent a long time trying to make 19a begin with “AP”.
    I liked almost all of this but in particular 18 and 21a and 20 and 25d My favourite was 12a – brilliant, and very topical!
    With thanks to Jay and thanks and well done to Kiwis – see you soon! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted April 30, 2015 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay. Managed most of it, but got stuck in the NE corner like most people. Needed the hints for 15a & 5d. Favourite was 20d. Talk about a coincidence, was struggling with 10a, and was labelling a mini disc by Pink Floyd called Pulse. Took ages to see 12a was an anagram. Was 3*/4* for me.

32. Catnap
    Posted April 30, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I did this last night and much enjoyed it. 20d was my fave, followed by 10a, 13a, 15a, 2d. 5d, and 6d. **** for enjoyment.

I didn’t need any hints, but 5d and 8d did take quite a while before the penny dropped. And, of course, after the P.D.M, I couldn’t see why it had taken me so long…

Much appreciation to Jay for a very fine Wednesday puzzle. And much appreciation to the 2Kiwis for an excellent and most beautifully illustrated review. Needless to say, I love the picture for 6d!

2Kiwis, I hope you have a good flight and a wonderful stay over here in the UK.