DT 27767 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27767 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Another month, another puzzle!  Have a go at our Monthly Prize Puzzle today.

Some hints follow.

7a    Front drive in SW19? (8)
A cryptic definition of a type of drive or stroke in a sport that is famously played in the London borough that has SW19 as its postcode

10a    This woman wants olive in a cocktail — kind of square? (6)
This woman’s name is an anagram (in a cocktail) of OLIVE followed by a type of square used for drawing right angles

11a    Take part in cruise, as on a liner during summer, perhaps? (8)
I wonder if Kath managed to find this hidden word?

12a    Back number about getting in sunscreen, say, creating film externally (2,8)
The reversal (back) of the two-letter abbreviation for number followed by the two-letter abbreviation for the Latin word meaning about inside the type of liquid preparation of which sunscreen is an example (say)

14a    I would put in directions to get extra (4)
The abbreviated form of I would inside two compass directions gives this extra or addition to the cricket score

17a    Garry leaves cap in valley (4)
Drop “garry” from the name of a Highlander’s cap of thick-milled woollen cloth, generally rising to a point in front, with ribbons hanging down behind

21a    Carry On Nurse, seen with former partner (6)
This verb meaning to carry on or continue is derived from a verb meaning to nurse preceded by the usual two-letter former partner

24a    State of the French pottery (8)
This US state is a charade of the French for “of the” (2,2) followed by some pottery

1d    Thought it should be taken up to be wrapped by midday (6)
The reversal (taken up in a down clue) of IT inside (wrapped by) another word for midday

2d    Scoundrel making one downtrodden? (4)
Two definitions – a scoundrel and a part of the foot that is “downtrodden”

5d    Overflowing river moved towards floe (not south) (10)
An anagram (moved) of TOWARD(S) FLOE without (not) the S(outh)

6d    Think about getting mother involved in ball, that will add fragrance (8)
A verb meaning to think around (getting … involved) the two-letter familiar term for mother

15d    Objective of man, 100 — to stay in bed! (8)
Here objective is an adjective not a noun – a four-letter man’s name and the Roman numeral for 100 inside BED

16d    Set out to get inside before time in wind (8)
An anagram (out) of SET inside an adverb meaning before time

18d    Not very careful with chimneys in outskirts of Cromarty (6)
Some Scottish chimneys inside the outer letter (outskirts) of C[romart]Y

22d    Urban area to west and north (4)
TO followed by W(est) and N(orth)

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: car+bow+hide+rates=carbohydrates

Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:35 am | Permalink

1*/2*. I was disappointed by what I thought was a bland puzzle with some clumsy wordplay and several convoluted charades (e.g. 12a). It was R&W for me except for 15d and, my last one in, 17a. 7a was my favourite.

Thanks to the setter and to BD, whose explanation I needed to understand why my answer to 17a was correct.

Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Thank you Saturday setter, I enjoyed that and pleased to finish before the invasion of family – 7 – for the weekend ! arriving in 20 mins. Thanks BD for the hints – have a good weekend everyone http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

3. collywobbles
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

This puzzle seems to be more General Knowledge that a Crossword

Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

It depends what you call General Knowledge – 17a probably is and, at a push, 7a but can’t see any others.

• Kitty
        Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Well, you have to know some words and their meanings, as well as the principles of cryptic crosswords.

• collywobbbles
          Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I quite agree

4. Caravaggio
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Like Sweet William, I was pleased to finish this puzzle in reasonable time, principally because Arsenal v Liverpool is being screened on BT Sport from 12:45 and, dare I say it, a draw’s of no use to the Reds…

• Caroline
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I know very little about football except they both play in red! So who doesn’t need a draw?

Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

You obviously know more about football than I do! Anyway if they both wear red how’s anyone supposed to know who is who? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Caravaggio
          Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Liverpool are known as the ‘Reds’; Arsenal are known as the ‘Gunners’, Kath.

Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif but thanks anyway. I’ll stick to digging in the garden!

• Franco
            Posted April 4, 2015 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

In some parts of North London, the Arsenal are known as “The Scum” … don’t know the post code!

• Paso Doble
              Posted April 4, 2015 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Arsenal might be known as “The Scum” and the postcode is N7. I could hear their fourth goal going in quite clearly as we live nearby. I couldn’t hear my team’s third going in to seal the match because the wind was blowing in the wrong direction from 200 miles up the motorway.

• Franco
                Posted April 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

N7 – A very nice bit of Norf London, innit?

• Caroline
                Posted April 4, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Ha ha! In our house, “The Scum” are in N17

• Tstrummer
            Posted April 4, 2015 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

No. Arsenal are known as The Filth

• Caravaggio
        Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

If Liverpool want to qualify for next season’s Champions League, they have to finish in one of the top four places, Caroline. At the moment, they’re unlikely to do so but three points would give them some cause for optimism.

• Caroline
          Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I really should take more interest – husband is at the Emirates now and son supports Liverpool. One of them will hopefully be happy!

• SheilaP
        Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

They won’t both play in red when they play each other. The refs. Have enough trouble without that.

• Dickiedot
          Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

3-0 down at HT not good L’pool

Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Confidence restored after having found all the crosswords very difficult this week.
    Yes, BD, I did find the 11a hidden answer but I’m not telling you how long it took me to do so – it was one of my last answers.
    I needed the hint to explain 17a and it took me ages to justify 15d – kept thinking of objective meaning an aim of some kind.
    I tried just about every combination of ‘directions’ with 14a before I hit on the right ones. Oh dear – cricket, but I should know that one by now.
    I liked 15 and 24a and 8d. My favourite was 7a specially as BD picked the right player for the piccy hint.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    Pet Lambs not coming until tomorrow so garden now, then NTSPP and then a look at the MPP – so much to do!

• Roger
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Ditto for me. I was convinced it was an anagram !

6. Kitty
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Like Rabbit Dave – and Kath, and probably many more – I needed the hint to understand 17a (well, I could have used Mr Google, but why do that when you have BD?). Unlike Sweet William, the invasion for us is just ending, and this was solved in the deafening quiet after they left.

I might also share RD’s moans about blandness except that I was so pleased to finish in what was probably a personal best time that all else is forgiven.

No real sparklers, but if I have to pick a favourite I’ll choose 13d.

Thanks to the setter and BD, and happy Caturday to all.

Plus a special hello to Tstrummer, working over Easter and having had a gruelling week.

• Tstrummer
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks K. Saturday is my one day off. Spent listening to Van Morrison, doing this and Thursday’s, cooking and drinking beer. The grind begins again tomorrow for six days then, joy of joys, a week out on the boat – so it’s not all bad

7. Robin Newman
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

as usual pleased to be able to complete & thankful for the hints !

liked 15a

8. williamus
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

First one this week so a nice gentle way back in. No real problems other than a momentary careless lapse with the wrong construction for 20a, soon corrected with the checking letters for 13d. Nice to get 7a straightaway. 18a probably favourite. I enjoyed it: 2*/3.5* for me. Enjoyed the hints too… especially the local flavour for BD of 5d…

Thanks to the setter and BD for the blog.

Posted April 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

If anyone has some spare time the NTSPP is fun.

• Franco
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

And then the April MPP?

(I notice that the enumeration has been changed … I was up early this morning.)

10. Roger
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one but guess if one was not familiar with London postal codes then 7a might cause some consternation!

I recognise that photo in 5D, BD although why they feel obliged to close the road at times when 4×4 and lorries can easily pass through is beyond me!

Thanks to the setter and BD

Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

It may be all very well for lorries and 4×4’s but, speaking as someone who grew up about a couple of miles from there, it’s not so good for a seventeen year old in an ancient A35 van when she’d only just passed her driving test – trust me, I know – very splashy and guaranteed to reduce the popularity with parents. Oh dear! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Took me a little while to get going but it all then gradually came together.
    Last ones in were 10a, took me ages to figure out the square. And 17a, had the answer but needed the hint to supply the why. Quite liked the misdirection in 21a, using the italics sent the mind in another direction, Oo Er Matron!
    No outstanding clues but fairly inoffensive.
    For me **/***

12. Sarah
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today and I loved the football asides in the blog. Thanks to the setter and BD **** for ma today

13. Gwizz
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

No problems with today’s challenge… except I have just noticed I have misspelt 1d. D’oh! Yet another winning entry Not!
    Regardless of the above, my favourite clue was 11a, and overall I’d say 2*/3*
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for his hints.

14. pommers
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

That was a pleasant diversion over a late lunch but nothing to frighten the horses. No stand out clues for us but if pushed we’d probably go for 17a. We’ll give it **/***.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

15. dutch
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Don’t see how I can be expected to know postal codes (7a), I had to look this up. And for 17a (Garry leaves..) I had to add garry to the answer in different ways and look that up, having never heard of the cap (last one in).

I did like 11a (take part in cruise..)

Many thanks setter and BD

Posted April 4, 2015 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

This was very pleasant, I don’t mind the odd easy puzzle at all … makes me feel that maybe I’m not that stupid after all.
    One of my first ones in on first read through was 17a, last in was 15d.
    I didn’t know that 20a was one word.
    Fave was 7a, agree with Kath that my choice was affected by BD’s tasteful choice of illustration.
    Thanks to setter and to BD for his review.

17. Hilary
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it strange that most of us made the same comment and needed our beloved leader to explain why we had put in what we had for 17a, thank you BD http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif. After a week thinking that my brain had gone on holiday without me starting, as usual, from bottom and working up I could not believe it as my trusty pencil filled in square after square until all I was left with was the fateful pair. Off to do GK. Have a super weekend everyone. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

18. Paso Doble
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Although we live in London, we don’t think it’s necessary to know the London postcodes. The late great Dan Maskell often used to introduce his programme with: “Welcome to SW19” and even the paper containing the crossword which we are addicted to hailed Andy Murray on his historic victory as ‘The King of SW19’.

Posted April 4, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

I agree about the London postcodes – I know SW19 from listening to Wimbledon commentary, I know the postcodes of the places our two Pet Lambs live, and the ones that they’ve lived in before, and apart from that you can forget it.
      I’m glad that BD chose a different “King of SW19” for his piccy hint.

• Paso Doble
        Posted April 4, 2015 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Total agreement Kath…King Federer reigns demoting Sampras & Borg to mere Princes.

19. Michael
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Good fun – I’ve learnt a new word for Chimneys and really enjoyed the little workout.

Arsenal v Liverpool earlier now Chelsea v Stoke – it’s all go!

• Liz
      Posted April 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Up the Blues!!

Posted April 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. I quite enjoyed this one, just needed the hint for 16d, last one in. Favorite was 15a. Was 2*/3* for me. Great result for the Gooners earlier. A good Easter to all.

21. Tstrummer
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Well, after a week of real brain mangers, this one slid in like a hot knife through warn Brie. I particularly liked 12a and 15d. It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep and a pint of Ruddles can do. Hope everyone enjoys their Easter Day (COYS!)
    Thanks, as always, to BD, who wasn’t needed but much enjoyed anyway, and to the setter for such a gentle ride.

22. almo
    Posted April 5, 2015 at 8:49 am | Permalink

someone please explain how the second half of the answer to 7a equates to the second word in the clue – I got it, but don’t know why !1 Thanks, Almo

• Posted April 5, 2015 at 9:55 am | Permalink

The word drive qualified by the adjective front defines the answer. You are meant to conjure up an image of the front drive of a house in SW19.

23. almo
    Posted April 5, 2015 at 10:04 am | Permalink

still don’t like it !! – front “********* ** ******” works much better for me !! thanks for your help, BD