Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ****

Tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa (Greetings, greetings, greetings to you all). We thought it was about time that we introduced another Maori greeting. This is a somewhat formal one. Perhaps one that would be used if a group of visitors are being welcomed to a marae or meeting house.
Jay has kept us well entertained once again this week.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Women carrying weapons got more affectionate (6)
WARMED : W(omen) and a word that means carrying weapons.

5a     Deer’s popular — what’s the ammunition? (8)
BUCKSHOT : This answer split 5,3 is a male deer’s and a word for popular.

9a     Bad result — shooter calls the shots (5,3,5)
RULES THE ROOST : An anagram (bad) of RESULT SHOOTER.
imgres

10a     A beer a radio operator sent back for prince (8)
MAHARAJA : Reading the answer back to front we have A from the clue, an informal word for a glass of beer, then A from the clue again and an amateur radio operator.
imgres

11a     East of Libya, more rational to retreat in battlegrounds (6)
ARENAS : East of Libya means its last letter and this precedes a word meaning more rational written backwards.

12a     Mark‘s letter from Greece welcoming Turkish leader (6)
STIGMA : The 18th letter of the Greek alphabet has T(urkish) included.

14a     Finds fault with fools eating cream (3-5)
NIT-PICKS : A word for the elite or cream is included inside a word meaning fools or stupid people.

16a     Dated only first of three during service award (8)
OBSOLETE : An three letter award for public service surrounds a word meaning only and the initial letter of three.

19a     Jokingly said ‘Swallow‘ (6)
INGEST : A homophone of what something said jokingly might be described as being.

21a     Plant stand put on front of terrace (6)
TEASEL : The front of T(errace) precedes a stand that an artist might use.
imgres

23a     Breeding exercises understand about energy (8)
PEDIGREE : Two letter abbreviation for physical exercises is followed by an informal word for understand then an abbreviation for ‘with reference to’ and E(nergy).

25a     Inquiry as it is no vintage brew (13)
INVESTIGATION : An anagram (brew) of IT IS NO VINTAGE.

26a     Islanders run wild with son after noisy drink (8)
CYPRIOTS : A word for run wild, then S(on) all follow a homophone of a word meaning to drink.

27a     Tries, for example, wearing less, with no top (6)
ESSAYS : A three letter word for expressing ‘for example’ is included inside less after the first letter is removed.

2d     Rates adjusted after sailor gets up-to-date (7)
ABREAST : An anagram (adjusted) of RATES follows one of our many possible options for sailor.

3d     Whisky area and island (5)
MALTA : A type of whisky or its raw material, then A(rea).

4d     Slight anger follows reprogramming of iPads (9)
DISPARAGE : A synonym for anger follows an anagram (reprogramming) of IPADS.

5d     Island that must have a hotel in mind? (7)
BAHRAIN : A from the clue and H(otel) are inserted into something that does your thinking for you.

6d     Unusual item’s last to go for a court in the Vatican (5)
CURIA : A substitution clue. Take a type of unusual item and substitute A from the clue for the last letter of go the unusual item.

7d     Criminal whose gang is getting clean (9)
SHOWERING : An anagram (criminal) of WHOSE is followed by another word for gang.
images

8d     Part of Australia unpopular with defender (7)
OUTBACK : A word meaning unpopular and a word for a defender in many team sports.
imgres

13d     Hardly mention what an undercoat may need (5,4)
GLOSS OVER : What a decorator might do to apply a top layer with his brush.

15d     Badly hit trader is not very good (5-4)
THIRD-RATE : Anagram (badly) of HIT TRADER.

17d     Terrible verbosity — not so! Quite the opposite (7)
BREVITY : An anagram (terrible) of VERBOSITY after you have removed SO.

18d     Bottles links supporting European politician (7)
EMPTIES : Start with E(uropean), then usual abbreviation for a politician and a word meaning links.

20d     How the man at the back speaks? (7)
STERNLY : The man speaking thus is probably at the back of a boat.

22d     Girl seen on Circle line? (5)
LASSO : This line is probably held by a cowboy. A word for a girl is followed by the circular letter.
images

24d     Middle of night, prison sent up breakfast for American (5)
GRITS : The central letter of night precedes the reversal of a slang word for prison.

We pick 10a as our favourite today. The Quickie pun below really had us working hard so we added a picture to help.
imgres

The Quickie pun   kappa  +  ceilidh  =  capercaillie

1. Kitty
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Loved every moment of this, though it was over too soon. Even had time to fit the quickie into the same sitting.

Had to verify the answers to 6d and 21a, otherwise plain sailing with lots of smiles along the way.

Clear favourite is 19a.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks for the review which I shall check out now.

2. Kitty
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:02 am | Permalink

P.S. The quickie pun prompted investigations and we found this clip which made us chuckle.

(If you don’t want quickie spoilers, don’t click the link.)

• Jane
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that one, Kitty. Ages since I saw it last and it always raises a smile – hard to imagine that anyone will ever be able to fill David Attenborough’s shoes.

3. Owdoo
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I have a week off work this week. The only downside is that my non-driving son relies on me for a lift to the train station so unfortunately that means I still have to get up early, but at least I have more time to enjoy the puzzles. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    No problems with this one today, pretty straightforward. The only one I wasn’t familiar with was 6d but very solvable from the wordplay.
    13d raised the biggest smile so that gets my vote for favourite.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.
    2*/3*

• Bluebird
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

It’s a shame about the chauffeuring duty, but in my book, if you’re only driving there and back, you don’t need to get up until two minutes before leaving the house and hope you don’t get involved in an accident………..http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Please refrain from comments re slobbery………

Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

2.5*/3*. Lovely puzzle with the NE corner stretching me a bit over 2* time. I agree with Kitty about 19a being my favourite.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

5. dutch
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Today it was the anagrams I liked: 9a (bad result shooter), 23a (inquiry as it is no vintage), 15d (badly hit trader), and especially 17d (terrible verbosity – not so). I like the last one because I think it is very clever to find the opposite within this word and then use “not so”.

However some clues I found very weak and they nearly (but not quite!) spoilt the puzzle for me: 3d (whisky area and island) and 20d (how the man at the back speaks).

Very doable toughie today, I thought.

Many thanks Jay and 2 Kiwis

6. omar
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I agree re 20d, but otherwise all good fun….

7. Beaver
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Always seem to be a * behind the 2K’S in my rating, and the same applies today-a **/*** .for me,a high standard of cluing all round ,liked 10a and 26a.Liked the 2K’s pics-thought there may have been a mention of the cricket !

Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Thank you Jay. I thought that this was a bit easier than the usual Wednesday, but I am not complaining ! I enjoyed the challenge. Thanks 2Kiwis for the review and hints and congratulations on your success in the cricket – exciting stuff by the sound of it ! Good Luck in the Final.

9. Ora Meringue
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Did it! Red letter day for me today as I did it without electronic help or hints.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif
    Cannot say I parsed all the answers and thinking that 6d was Curio held me up for a while, but I got there.
    Smug mode now fully engaged.
    No doubt to be plunged into despair tomorrow (or even when I get the time to have a crack at yesterday’s) but I am enjoying the moment today.
    My favourite clue was 19a.

Thanks to the setter and to Two Kiwis for the review.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Well done you. Felel free to crow as much as you like. You deserve it

• Kitty
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Yay! Ora Meringue rules the roost today. Well done :).

Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Well done from me too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Carry on being smug Ora Meringue, there’s (nearly) nothing better than completing a good cryptic crossword on your own. Well done.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Hanni
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif Be as smug as you like, you’ve earned it.

10. Angel
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

A very pleasurable exercise. TVM Jay and 2Ks. Until now Kia Ora was my limit but now perhaps I may also say Tena Koutou to you both. Today South went in before North mainly because I had an “r” at the end of 1a which made 4d difficult not helped by also trying to incorporate ‘ire’ for anger. Needed explanation for 6d. Solved 9a without recognising anagram. ***/****.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

11. Spook
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle today plenty of anagrams to keep brain active, favourite clue 10ac.
    Back offshore in a few days so it’s back to work eat sleep routine.
    Many thanks to the two Kiwis and Jay.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Posted March 25, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

A typo in your email address sent this comment into moderation!

12. Bluebird
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I agree with most of these comments. I found it much easier than yesterday’s, barring hold up on 6 and 7d.

In my head teasel is spelled with a Z, but no idea why.

Thx to the setter and you two kiwis.

Posted March 25, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle. Many thanks to Jay, and to 2kiwis for the review.

I think the hint for 6d needs a slight alteration – it is the last letter of curio that goes, not the last letter of go.

• Ora Meringue
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I agree.
      Even if I initially didn’t get it right.

• Steve_the_Beard
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

The clue is telling you to put the last letter of go, “o”, in place of an “a”. The fact that this substitution takes place at the end is mere happenstance.

Posted March 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I think that Jezza has it right. If we had to put the O in place of an A we’d end up with the wrong answer.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza. Have corrected the hint.

14. Angela
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one. Liked 20D and 19A. It fell into place relatively easily.
    Obviously my brain Is back in gear.!!

15. Harport
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I loved 20d but putting ‘going over’ for 13d caused me all sorts of problems in the SW corner.

• John
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I started with “Paint over” and had similar issues!

• Liz
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Me too. I had brush over which held me up for some time.

Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

over too quickly, but enjoyable. 19A gets my vote. Thanks Jay and 2Kiwis.

17. John
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I come in peace…..

An unusual amount of free time in the working day today, so thought I’d have a bash at this over lunch. I’m always delighted when I can finish unaided, and then see that it’s rated *** by the reviewer.

Really struggled with a few here, 6d was a word that I dredged up from somewhere in the dim and distant past, I’m so annoyed that I had problems with 23a, being a big follower of horse racing.

Favourite of the day for me was 19a….and isn’t 21a what Yorkshire painters use??

• Kitty
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the clarifying your comments yesterday John. I think one of the reasons you provoked such a response (other than not explaining your remark) is that Gazza’s introduction had entirely the opposite intent.

The bloggers and many of the contributors here are more experienced solvers, so there is a danger of opinions being skewed. Tuesday puzzles in particular often suffer from being labelled easy and uninspiring from our “commentariat” which I suspect is not a representative sample of the solving community.

This site is for solvers of all levels of experience and ability. Nobody would bother to write hints if they weren’t needed by anyone. I find it a lovely, helpful and friendly place. Do stick around and share your opinions of the puzzles, and you will find yourself welcome.

Well done for finishing today’s unaided :).

• Shropshirelad
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hear, hear.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hanni
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Well said Kitty and well done on completing the crossword John.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Hello John. It is good to see you back.

• John
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops. Some might have been tempted to type the same message as you, with an “r” on the end of the word “you” http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Hi John,
      Re 23a. The funny thing about this word is that it came from the French ” pied de grue “, you altered it and send it back to us in that form we have now adopted.

• John
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Us English eh, what are we like? Scamps, the lot of us!

• Liz
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Hi John. Just caught up with all the squit (Norfolk term) from yesterday. My comments are on yesterday’s blog. Cheers, keep on solving!

Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I agree with 3* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment – my brain seems to be on a go-slow today otherwise I think it would have been a 2* difficulty but I managed to make problems for myself.
    I can’t spell 5d but the very obvious anagram at 9a sorted that out.
    I don’t think that I’ve met 6d before or if I have I’ve forgotten it.
    For some reason 26a and 4d were my last answers and 27a took ages although I really can’t see why. Oh dear!
    I liked 10 and 19a and 13, 17 and 20d. Any one of those could qualify as my favourite today.
    With thanks to Jay for a really good crossword and to the 2K’s for their hints, pictures and lesson in the Maori language. When I first saw the picture for 9a I thought the white cockerel had three legs but I think there’s a brown chicken behind him! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    I can’t resist a go at the Beam Toughie although I’m not sure that brain is up to it today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Kitty
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Yes, that’s not his leg!

• Angel
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I trust you are not casting ‘nasturtiums’ on anyone who did not recognise anagram in 9a! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted March 25, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Certainly not – I wouldn’t dream of it! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted March 25, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Tough but very enjoyable. Couple of odd problems for me, never heard of 6d but Google came to the rescue and ring for gang seems a little weak but the clue as a whole is clever. Not sure that I would associate a stigma with a mark but the BRB lists it. Fav clue today for me was 26a, very clever I thought.
    Thx to all.

20. George
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

A straightforward one for me today which is great as I seem to have been struggling a bit of late. 2*/4* I would say.

Posted March 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Yet another idiom that I didn’t know. Although not difficult to get I don’t find it very elegant, sound wise I mean.
    Had to check Google too for 6d and 21a and was shocked to learn that 5d was an island. I always thought it was a landlocked country. Silly really.
    Favourite is 7d today.
    Glad to see that John came back. Very often newcomers disappear after the first telling off.
    Thanks to 2kiwis who are surely waking up soon for their appearance and to Jay.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Yes Jean Luc, one of us is now out of bed. The other one is still there sipping her tea. We also checked 5d to make sure it is an island. Cheers.

Posted March 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable solve! Fave 26a, but lots of clever clues.
    Thanks Jay and 2Kiwis.

23. Graham Wall
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

This was a slow starter for me but I kept returning at regular intervals to have another nibble at it and is now totally digested. Would agree with the 2ks with their rating and thank them for the review. I quite liked 26A as it had a certain something about it.

24. Framboise
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Thought I had completed today’s puzzle but in fact had 21 wrong – vessel instead of teasel! Plant stand = Vessel? Went a bit loopy… Enjoyed Jay’s lovely puzzle and would give 19a my vote for favourite. Never heard of grits for 24d but got it right nevertheless; before I did, however, had a bit of trouble with the South East corner because of 27a – did not realise I had to use less minus the first letter – was looking for a word meaning strip, bare or something of the kind minus its fist letter plus i.e! Anyway this did not spoil my enjoyment so I would go for 3*/4*. Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis. Completed Toughie and back page puzzles yesterday but did not blog because of feeling a bit under the weather – dental problem, much better today!

25. Shropshirelad
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword to complete on a lovely sunny day here in Shropshire. I do enjoy a Jay puzzle, for two reasons:
    1. The clues are always varied in their content and are a joy to solve
    2. The 2k’s reviewhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

So thanks to the setter and…..to the reviewers – kite koe wiki i muri (I do hope that doesn’t translate into something rudehttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif)

• 2Kiwis
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Strangely enough, when you next comment came through we were in the process of checking that we had got the translation correct. We award you 100% for your test piece. Well done. Ka kite ano. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Shropshirelad
        Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

whakawhetai GOOGLE – what a wonderful thing the internet ishttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• 2Kiwis
          Posted March 25, 2015 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

26. Miffypops
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Enjoyably solved over most of the day. Poor first pass but the long anagram gave lots of checkers and it all fell bit by bit. All things borrowed have been returned and some gardening has been done. Despite losing (again) at crib we still maintain our four point lead at the top of the table. Five to go including St Sharon’s GMLI who peed all over our chips last year and The Butchers Arms (away). Go Green Man Go.

• Hanni
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

You can do it Green Man. Go Green Man Go. Still think Captain Cobley should have been in Dad’s Army or something.

27. Gwizz
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle from Jay with his usual clever clueing. No real problems for me; I liked both 19 and 21a, so as most people have gone for 19a I of course will go for 21a as my favourite. 2*/3* overall.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2K’s for their efforts.

28. JonP
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this puzzle from Jay and took a little while to get going but completed it in reasonable time. Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay **/****

Posted March 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. Nice to see you have all been busy at your homework during our night. We very carefully avoided mentioning the white ball game but it has certainly captured the attention of everyone over here. There were a few seats for the final in Melbourne went on sale yesterday and they sold out in minutes. Extra trans-Tasman flights have been scheduled and are all booked out already. Euphoric madness prevails. At least everyone is smiling.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Hi 2K’s, can you confirm that my closing statement on post 25 means what I think it means? Hopefully it was ‘bye for now see you next week’ http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

A good puzzle , though I was held up by thinking that 1a was warmer.I award 26 top marks, although 19a was amusing , it was also a write -in.Thanks Kiwis and Jay.

• Angel
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

You’re not alone – as I said in Comment 10 above me too with warmer which caused me downward problems too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

31. Jane
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

A really joyful puzzle, as Jay’s often seem to be. No real problems although, with 5d in quite early on, I did try very hard to get Bambi (popular deer) into 5a. 6d was last to fall – probably Bambi’s fault! 2*/4* for me.
    Favourite is either 19a or 13d with a mention for the surface read of 23a.

Thanks to Jay for the enjoyment and to 2K’s for the review (I always love your blogs). Particularly liked the pic. at 7d.

• Hanni
      Posted March 25, 2015 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Shocking Jane. Blaming that poor innocent and tasty deer. Terrible of you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

32. Chris
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this a lot, and morale was boosted at last by steady progress (rather than my stop-start-stop of the last few days). I liked 9a despite not seeing it was an anagram at first, and 17d. 2* /4*. Many thanks to the 2Ks and Jay.

33. Liz
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

A bit harder for me today. Got held up by putting brush over in 13d then had to resort to the clues. Once that was sorted though it came right. How do you all get so much time to blog several times in the day??? It’s as much as I can do to read right through the DT and then try then crossword – hardly ever get time to try the toughie – and that’s with being semi-retired too! Perhaps I should try getting up a bit earlier?

Posted March 25, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

2*/4* – not overly hard, but jolly satisfying to solve. Choosing a favourite is no easy task, but l’ll plump for 26a. My thanks to Jay, and of course to the 2 Kiwis.

35. Hanni
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

**/****

Late to the party today. Another great offering from Jay with a cowboy /international flavour. Can you have flavoured crosswords?

Bit of a hold-up with 3d, when I confidently pencilled in Islay. Beautiful island, not the right answer, but a beautiful island. Putting in ‘curio’ for 6d wasn’t my finest moment either. Hey ho. Great fun.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis’s for an excellent blog and Maori lessons.

36. Ian
    Posted March 25, 2015 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

My hiccup was putting ‘gagged’ in for 19a before I had any other checking letters in. Then 7d fitted with the G so there it stayed until the penny dropped. Still think it fits quite well – jokingly said swallowed. Gagged. Simples.

Posted March 26, 2015 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis. A very enjoyable puzzle, took ages to get the last answer,4d, which wasn’t helped by putting in the wrong ending to 1a. That sorted, everything was fine. Favourite was 10a. Was 2*/4 * for m
    e .Said goodbye to Mum today at the funeral.

38. Tstrummer
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Thanks to Jay for a straightforward and enjoyable puzzle. I normally moan a bit if it’s over too quickly, but never on Thursday nights when I have to be up for antipodean radio duties at and unheard of hour. I particularly liked 26a, my last one in and only solved by the checkers – then I saw it. Splendid. 3* fun, 2* brain teasing