Prize Puzzle – May 2014

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 24 (May 2014) by Gazza

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle? The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (17th May 2014).

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

Posted May 3, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

4D was my first one in and I knew right then this was going to be fun! What a treat! So many clues had me smiling. And for the first time ever, I was able to spot the answer to the question. Thanks, Gazza!!!

• stanXYZ
      Posted May 3, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

4D wasn’t my first one in … but I did laugh out loud when I solved it.

Thanks to Gazza for a very entertaining crossword.

2. Pegasus
    Posted May 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable solve, favourites were 1a 4d 25d and the brilliant 33a many thanks to Gazza.

3. KiwiColin
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 7:47 am | Permalink

An absolute delight. The clues were so good that I could not resist sharing them with the other half as I solved them. I hope lots of commenters join in the fun of this ‘not too difficult’ puzzle and submit entries.
    Many thanks Gazza

4. Pete C
    Posted May 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Sadly my computer will not allow me to open this puzzle.
    Also, there does not appear to be a PDF option available.
    Please help!

• Posted May 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Pete

When leaving comments like this it helps if you specify the platform and browser/version that you are using. As well as the interactive javascript version you can download a java version, an AcrossLite version and a pdf.

Posted May 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

It looks as if I’m the only one having trouble.
    This is going to be one of those that is going to, in modern parlance, “do my head in”.
    Quite often I can’t get very far with the MPP’s. I’ve done most of this one but have a few gaps and a few iffy ones that I can’t quite explain – to quote BD “If you can’t explain your answer it’s likely to be wrong”. I’m sure that he’s said other useful things too but this was one of his most helpful utterances, to me anyway.
    I’ll carry on battling – I have yet to find a film star whichever way he or she is stepping.
    Back in a few days . . .

• KiwiColin
      Posted May 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Keep working on it Kath. I’m certain it is well within your ability to solve, and many of the clues are very clever when the pennies eventually drop. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

6. pommers
    Posted May 5, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Splendid stuff, thanks Gazza. You should do more of these! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Fav has to be 4d but there’s lots of other good stuff.