DT 27408 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27408 (Hints)

The Northern branch of Big Dave’s Crossword Club

with Tilsit as your host

There’s still time to enter this month’s prize Puzzle.  You are strongly advised to read the instructions thoroughly before entering.

While they are all partying like it’s 1999 in Bristol, it’s left to me to look after the shop. I’ll try and be around as much as I can but I am off to an Open University tutorial in Salford. I’ll try and pop in from time to time, so you’ll all have to play nicely and behave yourselves. If not, you won’t get any of Crypticsue’s cake. Mind you neither will I!

Anyway, as is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, an assortment of clues, including some of the more difficult ones, have been selected and hints provided for them. Please don’t post direct answers, it’s not cricket!

Some hints follow:

1a Draw an old friend (9)
The name for a draw in games like chess, is a word meaning old (as in bread) added to a word meaning friend.

8a Going ahead with illegal roof‑stripping? (6,3,4)
What a burglar is doing on the church roof is a way of saying going in front.

16a Nottinghamshire maid turned tail in boat yard (6)
The name for a boatyard is that of the female member of a certain outlaw’s gang with the last two letters switched.

17a Buffet car? (6)
A cryptic definition for a vehicle where you could get a buffeting!

19a Turkey’s suspended attachment of power unit by the French (6)
An unusual word for the part of a turkey’s throat. Take a unit of power and add the definite article in French et voilà!

28a Holiday express — rising fare! (9)
A word sum. Take a word for a short holiday and tack on something that means express or rapid. This leads you to food you get on rising.

2d Hearing test (5)
A double definition. The name for a legal hearing can also be that of a test.

3d Willingly it has been handed down (6)
Here, willingly is used cryptically, in the sense of what is left when someone dies. The whole clue becomes a cryptic definition for something left.

4d Second husband’s dry woolly yarn (6)
A word meaning a second (in time) has H (husband) and a word meaning to dry something will lead you to a type of yarn.

6d Strange tribal manoeuvring causes military bluster (5-8)
An anagram (manoeuvring) of STRANGE TRIBAL will give you threats associated with warmongers.

7d One who’s in a hurry to give you a winning horse? (6,7)
This is a cryptic definition that leads to the name for someone like John McCririck (don’t worry, there won’t be a picture!). The phrase can be found be taking a word means speedy as well as the job.

14d Play with a tot first (5)
A word for a type of play is something that refers to a small tot (of whisky) and A afterwards.

22d One is not able to take the long view with it (6)
A cryptic way of saying what someone suffers from if they can’t view distant things.

23d Judge admitting priest in mitigation (6)
A short name for a judge in sport take the name of a biblical priest inside to get a word meaning mitigation.

26d Money that is taken from old club (5)
The name of an old golf club needs to lose i.e. (that is, in Latin) to give you a slang word for money.

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {prick} + {leap} + {air} = {prickly pear}

1. Hrothgar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Pleasant Saturday morning stroll through fairly doable clues.
    Many a chuckle on the way eg 17a, 19a, 28a and 9d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Tilsit.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

1*/3* for a very pleasant puzzle on a foul day. I particularly liked 8a, 17a & 28a.

Sorry not to be able to get to Bristol today. I hope everyone there has a great time and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and Tilsit.

3. njm
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

1*/3* for me too. Would have been easier if I hadn’t put ****** for 3d as my first entry!
    Thanks to setter and Tilsit.

4. williamus
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Just done – a little earlier than usual but only because I’m on the train to Bristol. ETA 10:39 so will have time for a spot of Geocaching before meeting some of you later. 7d last in, 1a my favourite and 8a made me chuckle. Many thanks to The setter and to Tilsit for the review, though hints not needed today.

• bd on the train
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I’m on the same train – near the back of coach B.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Is “BD on the train” the sequel to “Snakes on a plane”?

5. pommers
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Pleasant enough but not much of a challenge. Favourite probably 8a, although it’s a bit of a chestnut methinks.

*/*** from me.

Thanks to setter and Tilsit

6. bifield
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

A nice gentle puzzle for a sunny Saturday morning. Thanks to setter and to Tilsit for the hints which were not needed today. I will be at The Cornubia later , I am really looking forward to it.

7. Michael white
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Most enjoyable today 4*. An early finish for me. Favourite 27a and 8a – also my first in. Very wet and windy here so I think it’ll be a day inside. Thank you BD for 4d help and the setter.

8. mary
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one, thanks Tilsit for the hints, my favourites!! were 1a, 8a and 27a
    Have to go out for a while but be back later if anyone needs help, I’m sure Kath will be along soon although I think she is rather busy today with visitors? Anyway don’t be afraid to ask there are lots of nice people on this blog willing to help out whilst all the ‘usuals’ are partying in Bristol Happy Birthday Blog … congratulations on the success of this tremendous blog Dave … have a great time xx

• Caravaggio
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

What do you mean you’re going out, Mary? You’ll have to be back by 12:45 as Liverpool v Arsenal is live on BT Sport and is then followed by Ireland v Wales on the BBC… I enjoyed this puzzle too, particularly as I saw the three large answers straight away and I’m pleased to say that everything else then fell into place very easily. Thank you for input, Tilsit, and, whilst this comment could be confusing, I’ll add: “Alright Dave?”

Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I know Cara…be back by then just a short visit to a cat!!!! But I haven’t got BT sports! Eldest son sitting in Kop end at moment with ex-husband…eldest son…Arsenal supporter!!! Ex-husband Liverpool supporter, should be fun, if I’m right the last time we beat Arsenal at Anfield was 2007??? Also Welsh Derby today Swans v Cardiff

• Caravaggio
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Your eldest son must be a great disappointment to you, Mary! I have total empathy with you, however, because my son, Adam, is a Manchester City supporter… You’ll have to console yourself with the commentary on 5 Live and then switch to television.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I will Cara, means I can be on here at same time, younger son, brother, nephew and eldest grandson however all support Liverpool :-) , not long now…

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

What about that then Cara!!! Yeeha

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I’ve just seen the latest Liverpool – Arsenal score with about 30′ to go. Amazing. I’m neutral on this one, but very nice for you Liverpool supporters!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Very nice indeed RD :-)

9. Shawn
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Pleasant and the grey matter was awake and working this morning. 4d and 8a are my favourites today.

10. Angel
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Thanks Mr. Ron for a Saturday puzzle with just the right combination of exercise for the old grey matter plus plenty of fun. I agree with Williamus and am not sure whether 1a or 8a is my favourite or even 19a. How noble of you, Tilsit, to hold the fort whilst all the others are enjoying a hooley. Here in West Sussex we have had a basinful of weather this a.m. with thunder, lightning, downpour, sunshine and now back to black clouds – thank goodness for prospect of RU diversion this p.m. ***/****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, I really enjoyed that. Thanks Tilsit for your early hints. The day goes downhill with yet another visit to The Reebok. Perhaps England will win at Murrayfield ? Have a great time all you partygoers !

12. Wayne
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward Xword today, couldn’t quite parse 16a so thanx to Tilsit for the explanation. Weather here (South Coast) horrendous. Thanx to all as usual.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a good crossword – fairly straightforward although I was held up by a few – well, OK, several.
    I had an ‘alternative’ (ie wrong) answer to 2d for quite a while which screwed up 1 and 8a but fitted with 12a so it didn’t occur to me to doubt it.
    I tried to make 8a an anagram (illegal) but that just wouldn’t work.
    7d was my last answer – didn’t see it for ages. I have, at least, learnt how to spell the16a Nottinghamshire maid – would have spelt her with an ‘O’.
    I liked 8, 17 and 19a and 6 and 10d. My favourite was 27a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Tilsit.

With all the ‘big cats’ away in Bristol I was going to suggest a party in the naughty corner for all the ‘mice’ left at home but I think Tilsit will be watching us and, anyway, I bet there will be beady eyes (or BD eyes) making sure that we all behave nicely.
    Have fun everyone. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Prolixic
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

We are watching you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

We’ll be good – try to be, anyway!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

We will all be ‘playing nicely’ as Tilsit put it, no need to keep an eye on us Prolixic…http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Now then Kath if I bring the drinks, what have you baked…

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

That’s the spirit – all we need to do is fool them that we’re all being really good then, when they’ve stopped looking – and they will, trust me – we can be as naughty as we like.
            I’ve got some bread cooking, you bring the drinks – any other offers anyone . . . .
            Why are you going to see a cat?

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Owners on hols so I’m visiting him… quiet here today..all in Bristol or watching the football and rugby…

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Oh – I thought you might be getting a kitten.
                Yes – very quiet here – let’s rock the boat a bit.
                Lots of people coming for supper tonight so cooking – need to do some tidying up too – house looks like a muddy bomb site.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

We can’t really rock it can we, we need others…unless you have something particular in mind?? How ever do you manage to cater for so many people, I can only imagine you have one of those lovely big ‘live-in’ kitchens

• spindrift
              Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I’ve got some “Fat Rascals” I could bring (bought in Betty’s of York by eldest boy)

Thought the puzzle was reasonable but not helped by solving 2d as ***** which was my first entry. Thankfully I saw the error of my ways. I’ll accompany myself to the naughty corner but please let me out by 14:30 for the match if the weekend.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Of course spindrift we all want to watch the Wales/Ireland game, maybe I’ll bring Telly to naughty corner too :-)

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I think I’m trying for the treble today…Liverpool, Wales, Swans :-)

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

No – we don’t all want to watch the Wales/Ireland game.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

ok then..we’ll join you after the game http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Naughty corner for you! That was my first answer for 2d too – I thought it was pretty good – a pity that it messed up other things. See you in the naughty corner . . .

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

If you want to know why spindrift it’s because you’re supplying 4 out of the five letters in the answer, you would normally have been deleted by somebody today

• Rabbit Dave
                  Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hopefully it would just have been his comment that was deleted and not Spindrift himself, or perhaps BD will move to adoption of a Dalekesque* policy of extermination for offenders?

* I know – that word is not in the BRB!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Where is it then???? No RD I don’t think such extreme measures have been adopted yet!!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

The fact that three out of the five are wrong doesn’t matter – it’s that we’re not supposed to put even wrong answers into comments, I think. I also think that we’d probably better shut up now or we’re all going to be in big trubs here.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• gnomethang
                    Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Its because BD doesn’t want wrong or alternative answers as stated. He even pulled a hint on the grounds that the hint stated a related anagram (7d). It just avoids confusing matters.
                    Just got back in (via a little drinky-poo at London for an ex-colleague who is returning to NZ. Trains are playing up around Bristol but Andy will be getting home, albeit a bit late.}
                    Night all!

• Mary
                      Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Night gnomes http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif

• spindrift
                  Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

mea culpa! good result for ireland but mainly because wales didn’t turn up on the day!

• Senf
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Kath – belated congratulations on your début on Thursday. Based on my experience with that puzzle, it might have been a baptism of fire. Look forward to when you fly solo.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks – don’t think I’ll ever get to the solo bit.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Senf
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I’m sure you will – never say never.

• gnomethang
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Of course you will – if you happen to get stuck on something there is always an email (I think you will be included now on BD’s blogger list!)

Posted February 9, 2014 at 1:15 am | Permalink

You’re really sweet – thank you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Brian
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Today we are back to being in total agreement :-)
      Hope you are going to blog again, I really enjoyed your first effort.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brian – we’ll have to wait and see if archy can put up with holding Mehitabel’s hand again! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I’m sure he will http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• pommers
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

There’s a better than 50/50 chance that I’ll be doing next Thursday’s blog after all. Archy says he’s OK for doing it again. You’d better ask mehitabel whether she’s up for it too! :lol:

Probably not another RayT and maybe even a Petitjean but, what the hell, it’s only a crossword http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

BTW, Wales appear to be playing some sort of game that looks a bit like rugby union but clearly isn’t as skillful :lol:

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Funny pommers…not http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• pommers
              Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Hey, it’s me that’s got €30 riding on Wales. Beginning to look a bit less safe than it was last week.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Mmmm sorry forgot about that…awful play by Wales so far!!!

• pommers
                  Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Wales have looked a bit better in the second half but I fear it will be too little too late. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Not a lot… what is wrong with them!!!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

oh well good job I didn’t put money on the treble today http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• pommers
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Right you lot, I’m back now to keep an eye on you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Got the rugby on the PC so am multitasking.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

We are being ever so good today…angelic almost

• pommers
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

That’s probably because CS has taken the cake to Bristol http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

14. Senf
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

This was very straightforward and completed easily before lights out last night. Like Wayne, a few comments above, I didn’t quite understand why 16a worked, so thanks to Tilsit. I enjoyed 8a and 6d.

15. McMillibar
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

A good wee puzzle this, quick and fun. Just as they should be in my view. */**** Liked a lot of the clues a lot. Never got near sorting out the wordplay for 16a but the answer was obvious. Thanks for the hints and to setter. Already salivating at the thought of tomorrow’s. I am sure it will be. Been away the last two days so nice to be back. Seems I missed a couple of tough ones. Hope the Brizzle-bash is going well. Was that an icing-sugar iPad? There’s a first.

16. mary
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

My ipad has decided to somehow disconnect from the internet although my iphone and desktop are fine…any ideas??

• Chris
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

When this one does that, I go to Settings – Wifi – and put it near the modem so it gets a good signal, then choose our wifi again. Seems to reconnect at that point.
      (Sorry if that’s what you tried already Mary!)

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks Chris, yes I have tried that it shows the network shows up but it just keeps searching and not connecting!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

My usual answer to anything that doesn’t work is to try talking nicely to it – when that fails I hit it with a hammer.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

won’t work here Kath eldest son gave me this one and I daren’t ask him as he’s at the Liverpool match but an Arsenal supporter!!!

• Chris
          Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Assuming no obvious recent changes to the system, I would consider switching off ipad and restarting (as opposed to putting it to sleep by closing a magnetic cover like wot I always do!) and rebooting modem / wireless unit by switching of power 30 sec and restarting. (Earlier suggestion = talking nicely. This is like Kath’s hammer but non destructive.)
          If it still fails to connect after that though, i don’t have another idea to try next. Good luck!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Chris all been tried, will have to wait until eldest son regains his composure after Arsenal’s trouncing today :-)

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

For some reason now, it has decided it will reconnect!! thanks for your help Chris

• Chris
              Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

You are welcome. However I expect it was cured (rather like a hiccups victim) by the fright of Kath’s suggestion.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

• pommers
        Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I usually leave out the talking nicely bit :lol:

17. Chris
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Got stuck for a while in left half but managed unaided. (Don’t know why I couln’t do the 6d anagram or 9d for so long. I suppose they all look easier when you find the answers!)
    I liked 19a and 8a especially; and thanks to setter and Tilsit.

18. Kingsley
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I thought some of the clues were very clever, in particular 1a, 8a, 16a (Very good!), 28a and 26d. Quite bucked with myself, as I finished the puzzle without help from the Hints! (Am I getting better or was today’s puzzle easy?)

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think it was particularly easy Kingsley a two to three star for me…so well done :-)

19. mary
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Back in a bit watching Welsh game now http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Tilsit for the hints, which I didn’t need. Pretty much a read-write for me, was 1*/3* some clever clues. Favourite was 17a. Congratulations to Liverpool , who absolutely thumped my team. Have a great day in Bristol to all those who are there. Very very windy in Central London at the moment.

• gnomethang
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

We did think of you at the time Heno!

21. Derek
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle.

Fave for me was 17a – it took me back to my youth in coastal towns in North Wales and Blackpool.

Happy memories!

22. mary
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

What’s for supper Kath??

• Una
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Gosh , Mary I did expect you to be a better loser than that !

Posted February 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one, even though it was on the easy side. The only problem now is to choose a favourite, too many good ones. Maybe I’ll opt for 16a, with honorable mention to 1a, 8a and 19a. Thanks to setter and to Tilsit for review.

I hope all are having great fun in Bristol. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Honarable mentions, now that’s a good way to get round Kath http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I have used it for a little while now in order to avoid incurring the wrath of …..

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

…and she hasn’t noticed???

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Not so far, at least, not mentioned. Anyway, it’s perfectly legal, I still have only one favourite. Can’t fault me on that count!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

She’ll find a way! I think if we say what out favourite is, then name one or two others that we would have called favourites had we been ‘allowed’ there is nothing Kath could do??? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

Posted February 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

She has but she doesn’t really think that she can argue with it as there’s nothing wrong with it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Mary
              Posted February 8, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Oops thought you were busy cooking Kath

Posted February 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Not that much to do today as we’re sharing the cooking. There are ten of us who have all known each other for ever and we’d rather get together often and share the work than less often and do it all. Our house tonight so we’re doing main course – others are doing starter, pud etc. We just have the ‘fun’ of the clearing up! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Mary
                  Posted February 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Sounds good

Posted February 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Great idea! Have fun

24. mary
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Wonder where collywobs has got to today? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

• Collywobbles
      Posted February 10, 2014 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I’m here Mary in spirit if not in body. I’m afraid that my crossword efforts were held up by the rugby and the fact that the memsahib is in Blighty visiting mother, therefore there is more housework to do. I am nearly finished but I could do with some help on 26a although I’ve got all the checking letters and 9d which I can’t see for the life of me. I’d love to finish it off.
      Poor old Wales on Saturday Mary. I still feel that they are the best team in the championship

• Collywobbles
        Posted February 10, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

It’s OK Mary I’ve got them. I had a Gnomy (is that right?)

Posted February 10, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

I do hope not. What you mean is that Gnome’s Law came into effect.

• Posted February 10, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Perhaps we could call it a Gnoment!

Posted February 10, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

:-) … good idea

Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

There already is a definition of a Gnoment -it is when you pause before sending the email asking for help with something really obvious rather than sending it and looking silly.

• tilsit
              Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

A Senior Gnoment? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• spindrift
              Posted February 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Or possibly an alternative could be an OhGnomoment which is when you press send then a nanosecond later you realise what the answer is that you’re seeking.

• Collywobbles
                Posted February 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I don’t like change and, although ‘a gnoment’ has it’s merits and a ‘senior Gnoment’ is also very good I’m sticking with ‘Gnomes Law came into effect’

Posted February 10, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Glad to see you’re ok collywobs, very unusual not to see you on a Saturday :-)

25. mikef
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I too started badly with “*****” for 2d but then saw the error of my ways and have just finished whilst watching Wales being soundly beaten by Ireland. Oh dear!

• Mary