DT 27169 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27169 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Mum’s outfit, with antique flower (8)
A fairly simple charade to start with.marigold

5a           Peg and I obtained starting price first (6)
Follow the abbreviation used in betting circles for starting price with another way of saying I obtained.

spigot

13a         One’s installed to observe production (7-4)
A cryptic definition  – installed referring to where this person might be seated to observe a production.

16a         Collapse and wake up by good fire, confused (4,2,5)
Two words meaning to wake up, followed by the abbreviation for good, and an anagram (confused) of FIRE.

21a         Up the longest? (7)
Longest in stature.

tallest

26a         Elaborate presentation of badger’s domestic tranquillity for audience? (3,5)
Two homophones (for audience)  – firstly a badger’s home and secondly  tranquility or calmness.

1d           Ponder about one’s ill-treatment (6)
Insert a shorter way of writing one’s into a verb meaning to ponder.

4d           A contender?   One cannot be serious! (11)
A  contender for a particular title might be said to be lacking in substance or earnestness.

8d           Terence goes round bay getting wild fruit (8)
Insert an anagram (wild)  of BAY into the diminutive form of Terence.

tayberry

15d         Engaging person (8)
Someone who engages people to do a job of work.

employer

17d         Neither liquid could be contained by that (7)
Don’t spend time trying to find a liquid to be contained, it’s the anagram indicator telling you to rearrange NEITHER.

20d         Whipped us some dessert (6)
An anagram (whipped)of US SOME produces a whipped dessert.

mousse

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

Big Dave is attending the S&B gathering in Manchester today –  I hope everyone has a great time, only wish I could have been there too.   If you need any more hints, just ask.  As will become apparent later this afternoon, I have quite a lot to do today and no time to make cake so I hope everyone will obey the ‘rules’ and stay out of the Naughty Corner.

PLEASE DON’T PUT WHOLE OR PARTIAL ANSWERS OR ALTERNATIVE CLUES IN YOUR COMMENT, ELSE THEY MAY BE CENSORED!

The Quick crossword pun: (mull} + {akin} + (tire} = {Mull of Kintyre}

1. Colmce
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Early bird this morning CS.

Some nice misdirection which of course fooled me and some indicators which I should have known but didn’t (10a, 17d),made this harder than it should have been, eventually stumbled to finish.

Thanks for the hints.

Thanks to the setter.

2. bd on the train
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Thanks to CS for doing today’s hints. but it’s a quick visit to the naughty corner for 1 across!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hopefully no-one else has read it yet! Have made it much less naughty!

Hope you have a great day out!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I had read it but I won’t tell anyone :-)

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Thank you Mary – I knew I could rely on you.

Have you got sun today? It was glorious at 7 this morning (Mr CS couldn’t sleep so…. :( ) but we now have cloud.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

No it’s not very nice here today sue, we were hoping to go away today but we are leaving it until tomorrow now, it rained here during the night!

• spindrift
            Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Persisting down in West Bridgford & we’re off to look at bathroom tiles. On with the dance, let joy be unconfined…

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:52 am | Permalink

What tablets are you taking spindrift? I want some ;-)

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I missed whatever it was that sent you to the naughty corner!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

And we’re not telling :-D

3. njm
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Not too difficult today. 24a last in for me, since I missed the anagram indicator – DOH! 4d favorite, **,*** rated. Thanks to setter and for hints.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

A puzzle of two halves for us. Top left and bottom right went in quite easily but the bottom left held us up for a while. It turned into a two sitter!
    Still don’t get the ‘conclusively’ in 23a, must be missing something.
    Enjoyable overall with the best clues for us being 12a and 10a.
    Never heard of the fruit in 8d (Thx Google) and 24a seems a clumsy word.
    Thx to the setter and to BD.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I am definitely not BD :)

Look up concusively in the dictionary and you should see how this relates to the solution of 23a.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Must say I’ve done this sue and I still can’t see it?

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Which bit of a piece of writing does 23a? I know what I mean but suspect that might not be very helpful! :smile:

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

You’re right Kath, thanks for trying though :-)

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Sorry – I really must try harder!! :smile:

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I think I know what you mean!

• Vorkorsigan
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Just got it after staring at 3 empty letters for 30 mins!

• Brian
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Much apologies, so used to BD doing the Saturday hints that’s made an assumption. So sorry. Thx anyway for the hints, I’ll try looking up conclusively and see if it helps.

• Brian
          Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Sorry still don’t see it. I’m beginning to wonder if I have the wrong answer. Can’t think of how to describe my answer without getting sent to the naughty corner or using an alternative clue which ALWAYS results in BDs red ink?

Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Have a look at Gazza’s hint @ 10 below.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I may be wrong Brian but I think conclusively just means the ends of words in these types of writings sound the same, sorry best I can do without ending up there too!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

or rather sounded the same

• Brian
                Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thx Mary I obviously have the right answer but I do think it makes it a clumsy clue. Just the first two words would have been sufficient.
                Ah well off the mow the lawn before the next shower.
                Can’t put it off any longer.

• Vigo
                  Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

If you drop conclusively you’d have a clue for a homophone maybe? (My predictive text is still trying to put homophobe).

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

The 8d fruit are raspberry/blackberry cross that came from Scotland. They taste like raspberries but are really quite sour – we have a row of them – they’re pigs to prune but make the best jam ever.

• Tantalus
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

In Glasgow they are called poisonberries cos they are so bitter. (on the rare occasion that they get fruit in Glasgow).

Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that I’d call them bitter, just very sharp which is why they make such wonderful jam. They’re also great mixed with apples in crumbles or pies.

• Tantalus
            Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I meant the people in Glasgow!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

:grin: Never been there but, to me as a southerner, anything north of Birmingham might as well be Scotland! Will now duck head and wait for missiles to be hurled!

• Tantalus
                Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I think some might find that a smidgeon offensive – but lets hope that no one was offended unintentionally. My Dad was from Glasgow, but I have forgiven him.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I SO didn’t mean to offend anyone and am really sorry if I have – will now go away and hang head in shame. :oops:

5. Only fools
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I was going to say another simple but enjoyable crossword ,but looks from the hint I may have an incorrect answer for 13a ! Crikey!
    Probably be proved wrong but cannot remember 24a appearing for quite some time ,if at all .
    Thanks very much .

Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

No I don’t think it has either OF

• gnomethang
      Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Only Fools – your second word is probably wrong (as was mine when I came to hit ‘submit’. CS’s hint will probably help. Thanks to Sue for standing in and thanks to the setter. Not too much trouble here today.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Hi gnomey, mine must be wrong too!!

• gnomethang
          Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

The clue refers to the person that is ‘installed’ as opposed to the architectural feature.

• Only fools
            Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Good .I had the right answer !

• Caravaggio
              Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

And so have I! I thought that this was a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle, without being too easy, and I’ve had to give some serious thought to one or two answers. It’s been raining here for the last hour or so but the sun has just broken through and, hopefully, we’re going to have a decent weekend. Thank you for today’s hints, Sue.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I got it wrong too, now corrected

• Tony
            Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Same here, it was the only difficulty I had today, although 8d had me thinking, I suppose they are like ************? (Am I allowed to say that…Ooer!?) [No you are not, so I have edited. CS]

6. mary
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Hi Sue, thanks for the hints, I needed one or two today, there are a few clues I don’t understand my answers to, however I’ll wait to see what everyone else says! Fav clues today 2, 12 & 18d, we are hoping to go off for a few days in the motorhome tomorrow so I probably won’t see you all til Wednesday or Thursday, a two to three star for me today

7. Little Dave
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Morning all. Nothing too stressing here and fairly straight-forward. 12d made me smile. All done waiting for my car to be serviced! Thanks to the Setter.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

A lovely crossword for a not so nice morning – I thought it was fairly straightforward with some good clues.
    I was a bit slow with a few – 9a and 4d in that top corner and 23a and 15d in the bottom corner.
    I liked 13, 16 and 23a and 6 and 7d. 10a and 12d both made me laugh.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and CS.
    Rather grey and drizzly in Oxford – not complaining as the garden needs some rain and I could really do with an enforced day off from the it.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I knew our weather had changed because you’d been doing a rain dance Kath ;-)

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t go quite that far!!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I also really liked the quickie pun today – they seem to have stopped using italics in the paper if the pun is more than two words.
    Do we get a NTSPP today. Have just printed out the MPP – I will enjoy that later.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

We do indeed get an NTSPP although I should warn you that it is by Elgar and takes a lot of working out (and that’s just the instructions!).

Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the warning. I think I’ll go with gazza’s advice to Expat Chris and stick to the MPP – have printed it out and had a very quick look but sun has come out now so will do it later.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I had 16A in the bottom left corner and still don’t get 23A. I did enjoy the puzzle today, even though I couldn’t finish without a couple of hints and had the wrong second word for 13A. 17D was very clever. Many thanks,CS for the help, and thanks to the setter.

After yesterday’s toughie battle, in which I was thoroughly routed, I think I’ll give the NTSPP a miss!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

If you’re giving the NTSPP a miss you should definitely have a go at the MPP which is a fair bit gentler (but very entertaining).

23a Sounded similar, conclusively (6)
      … or had endings that sounded similar.

• Expat Chris
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks,Gazza. I did have the correct answer but couldn’t fully work out why. Working on the MPP and enjoying it. A few still to go.

11. Tantalus
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to CS and the team.

It was surprisingly nice to not to see the red comments from BD (I always associate the red comments as criticism probably from my days at grammar school). Maybe that is why BD does it, part of his authoritarianism?

Anyway, burnt toast in bed today, Mrs T is still giggling about the Cockney clue (or maybe dementia has set in). A perfect day here in Boston – off to transplant some Montbretia.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

His comment should have been red as he was sending me to the corner, good job he didn’t as I have far too much to do today. He obviously can’t send red comments from his mobile.

I giggled at the Cockney clue so either Mrs T and I have both got dementia or :D

• Tantalus
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

If is was not for our crosswords every weekend keeping our grey (gray) cells going, I think one of us would be in “the home” by now.

Anyway, let’s she if she remembers me in the morning – if not, it may be like having a new wife.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Me too Tantalus, I always associate red comments as a telling off for something done wrong, as you say from my days in grammar school too

Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I also associate red writing with a good telling off but I think as ‘head honcho’ BD is as unauthoritarian and liberal as it it’s possible to be while still maintaining SOME kind of order in the ranks! :smile:

12. stanXYZ
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

A nice relaxing crossword after yesterday’s struggle with Elgar!

5a – reminded me of the Dudley Moore sketch auditioning for the role of Tarzan. :grin:

13. Shawn as in 'prawn'
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I don’t think I have the right answer for 13a. And I can’t see BD’s hint above? Why would i sit there to see a production? Or am I being thick. But please do not get sent to the corner for helping me. Great puzzle though and great clues. Thanks.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Shawn,
      You’ve extended your alias so your comment needed moderation. Both aliases should work from now on.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I think you might have the wrong second word in 13a. Have a look at the discussions further up the page (comment 5)

• Shawn as in 'prawn'
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you. I now have the right one. Went through the whole alphabet and had lots of words that fitted. Feel like a King Prawn now!

14. Dawn
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

19d, 2d and 4d still elude me, nudges gratefully received

Thanks to CS for the hints and to setter too.

Loved 10a :-)

Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I loved 10a too.

19d A simple double definiton – the first one is the first two words of the clue and the second the remaining word.
      2d Definition is strapping. A reversal of one word in the clue followed by another meaning broken
      4d Another double definition. There’s a hint above.

• Dawn
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you CS, now done – held up by wrong spelling of second word in 26a and totally wrong answer for 9a

15. Kingsley
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Hi All, here I am again reporting from East London, South Africa. I managed it all without the hints today, except for 13a, as I was looking for a THING to be installed and not a PERSON, anyway, got it now, (I think) thanks to Gnomethang’s hint (which I thought was a better hint than the “official” one – IF my answer is correct!)
    Incidentally, the DT crossword has been published in our local newspaper for only the past four or five months, and there are already a little “community” of people (some of whom I know) who have won the weekly prize. I bumped into Desiree this morning at a shopping mall (she’s a three times winner) and discovered that Shawn (also won two or three times) is a cousin of her late husband’s. (Small world – especially in our little town!)

16. Vulpus_rex
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Hi All – I’ve got 10a but cannot for the life of me work out how “one in seven” relates to the answer! Any hints?

Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

If you have the correct answer, I am sure the penny will drop soon – I can’t think of anyway of explaining it without being banished to the Naughty Corner for years and years and years :)

• Vulpus_rex
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Ah ha! The penny has indeed just dropped!

Posted May 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter and CS for hints. Some tricky anagram indicators, good fun. 10 mins rain today in Suffolk – so back to the North West tomorrow !

18. Collywobbles
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve come to the puzzle late today and I’m struggling on 18d. I’ve got the second word but I can’t see the first word. Mary, it was one of your fav clues. Can anybody help?

Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

You are looking for a ‘writer’ – having got the second word, you should get the first.

• Collywobbles
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Got it CS, dead easy, thanks for your help

19. Eileen
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

hi please can someone help me with 18d don’t really understand the clue

and 15d and 25a…..really do need help with these 3. thanks

Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

18d – a type of ‘writer’ a word meaning touched followed by a reversal of a mine
      15d I gave a hint for this first thing this morning
      25a The definition is rambling. Follow how the Queen usually appears in crosswords with a diatribe.

20. Collywobbles
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

CS, I don’t understand 10a. Can you help

Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

10a is a really clever cryptic defintion. As I said to someone earlier, if I have to explain it, I will spend the next 100 years in the naughty corner.

• Collywobbles
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I’ll provide the lemon drizzle cake

Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Why might this ‘one of seven’ need a tissue?

• Collywobbles
            Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Actually, I’ve got it now and you are right it is very clever. My last clue, I think, is 7d. I’ve got the first word but I can’t see the second. Can you help?

• Heno
              Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

2nd word in the clue is another word for the second word in the answer.

• Collywobbles
                Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Heno. Got it and finished and thanks to CS for the help. Cake not required?

• Heno
                  Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I like cake, but I was trying to avoid going to naughty corner to get it :-)

21. Outnumbered
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I breezed through most of this very very quickly…. Then got totally stuck on 15d and 23a, which eventually needed electronic help. Then looking here I found I had the second word of 13a wrong too. So thanks for the hints everyone.

Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Crypticsue for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, only had a problem with13a, had the wrong second word unti I read the Blog. Favourites were 26a and 12d. Was 2*/3* for me. Sun out this afternoon/ evening in Central London. I’m recovering from yesterday’s Reading Beer festival.

23. Weekend Wanda
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable as was yesterday’s. My last two in were 15d and 23a. I had 15d but thought it must be wrong.My mistake with 23a is a trap I always fall into (as yesterday with the poison) by going through the vowels ad I’m sure a consonant won’t fit. Missed the anagram in 24a so struggled with that for a time. I could not look further than the short version of a journalist. Have we not had 14d earlier this week? Thanks setter, Sue and bloggers. I do think “conclusively” was needed in 23d as that made it cryptic.

24. CARRIE
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I’m not quite finished, three to go. A few duh! moments. On the whole I enjoyed it. Thank you CS

25. Derek
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable Saturday puzzle with some sharp word play.

Faves : 5a, 10a, 22a, 26a, 2d, 4d, 12d & 18d.

Weather here still magnificent.

Lamb chops with Chinon for dinner then strawbs and cream.

26. Sarah F
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle which I’ve nearly finished. Can anyone help me on 9a. 6d and 10a?

• Heno
      Posted May 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

9a, first syllable=another word for reserve( as in a football team), 2nd syllable=another word for team up.
      6d, first syllable=another word for pounds ( like car-pounds ), 2nd syllable shortened form of I have.
      Think of the seven in Walt Disney.

27. laney
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I seem destined to be the last to attempt and complete these Saturday crosswords. Baby sitting my grandsons…….the youngest being nine months and never away from a vital bit of his mum’s anatomy…….has certainly added to the day’s challenges. Really enjoyed this crossword. Thanks to setter and CS. And now for a stiff G&T along with a prayer that my daughter returns before her baby wakens!

28. una
    Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

very pleasant puzzle. Thanks to Cryptic Sue for all the clues. My last one in would be 19d, if I could only work it out.I am pretty sure 22a and 26a are correct , not convinced by my 24a. I know you gave an answer to 19d previously, but it didn’t help, as I’d gotten that far already.

• stanXYZ
      Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

I wish people commenting about the crossword could distinguish the difference between “Clues” and “Hints”!

Where is Grumpy Andrew?

• una
        Posted May 4, 2013 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

You are right. But what about a hint on 19d ?

• stanXYZ
          Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:06 am | Permalink

19d – Double Definition

1. Rip Off
          2. Coat

• una
            Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

That’s exactly the same hint CS gave and obviously , I’m hopelessly stupid, but I haven’t worked it out yet.Or my checkers are all wrong.

• una
              Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

oh well, I’ll probably wake up tomorrow or some other day and figure it out. Or not !

• una
                Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:43 am | Permalink

ok ! finally got 19d , but I’ll just have to mull over 24a.

• stanXYZ
                  Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:54 am | Permalink

24a – An anagram?

Good Night!

• stanXYZ
                Posted May 5, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Una – 19d – Have you checked your checkers? 22a, 24a & 26a?

• una
                  Posted May 5, 2013 at 1:02 am | Permalink

got it all out now I think, 24a was the hold up. Thanks for your help.Sleep well !

29. mary
    Posted May 5, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Well done to sue for holding the fort on a very busy Saturday

30. Terry Healy
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Could I have some help with 23 across please
    Many Thanks
    Terry

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

If you read through all the comments, you may find one or two that help.

31. Terry Healy