DT 27121 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27121 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter the March Prize Puzzle.

1a           Journalist‘s robust idea abridged when broadcast (9)
An anagram (when broadcast) of ROBUST and IDE(A) without the final A (abridged)

6a           Means to make a bundle from crops (5)
A cryptic definition of a machine that bundles hay

10a         Could be gentler to spectacles when handled (9)
An anagram (could be) of GENTLER TO

13a         Won’t wash, as bath without plug (5’1,4,5)
Could be a description of a bath without a plug

24a         Both sides needed to cover fish basket (5)
The outer letters (both sides) of CoveR followed by a slippery fish

25a         Ship stored rye at sea (9)
An anagram (at sea) of STORED RYE

1d           Mount a conference? (6)
Two definitions, the first being a geographic feature

3d           Dock item (6)
Split as (2-4) this could mean to dock

5d           Retribution for pair is set in concrete (8)
The abbreviation of P(ai)R and IS inside an adjective meaning concrete or actual

8d           Watch salesman with consumer (8)
A type of pocket watch comes from a charade of a salesman and a food consumer

14d         Hazel’s case has teachers appearing before she will (8)
The case of a hazel comes from a charade of a teachers’ union and the abbreviated form of she will

15d         Under pressure, has to collect artist with second edition (8)
HAS around the usual artist and followed by S(econd) and ED)ition)

19d         18 represented in pen by Latin American (6)
An article similar to the answer to 18 down comes from a charade of a pen for an animal, L(atin) and the two-letter abbreviation for American

21d         Park officer made a dash before German fellow left (6)
A verb meaning made a dash followed by GER(MAN) without MAN (fellow left)

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: (pry} + {minsters} + {quash} + {one-time) = {Prime Minister’s Question Time}

1. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Fairly straight forward. Liked 18d but a bit doubtful about 24a where ‘cover’ seems to have two jobs to do. Thought that the sides were left and right, so could not make sense of what remained; thanks for the explanation.

Posted March 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Ah, explained. I, too, was looking at right and left, so thanks for enlightenment

Posted March 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I was also looking for left/right so explanation very welcome

2. weekendwanda
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Thanks setter. I am early today and did not need hints although enjoy reading them. Quick romp through until the NW corner which came in a slow last. My fault because I did not know 1a was one word. I would have hyphened so only after a trawl through the alphabet did I iget it.I then got the last ones 1 and 3d and 11a. No excuse now to put off the shopping and chores.

3. Rufus the Dog
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Needed hint for 13a, then had that face-palm moment when I got it. Otherwise pretty straightforward 24a took me a moment to work out

Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Bottom trickier than the top but not too much of a problem today. Did like 20d, reminded us of Lancelot, our old cat whose idea of a good day was more than one mouse on the menu!
    Thx to the Setter for getting the weekend off to a good start and for the hints.

5. Digby
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Found the Quickie pun to be more tricky than the Cryptic.
    Both provided an enjoyable interlude to a dull, drizzly morning.
    With thanks to setter & solver.

6. Colmce
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one, nicely clued and fairly gentle, no real problems.
    Thanks for the review…not needed today. Entry submitted with clear conscience.
    Thanks to the setter.

Hi tension in chateau McE, Everton v Wigan in the Cup, scouse partner panicking.

• Caravaggio
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, I agree with your comments, Colmce, and, as a Liverpool supporter [as is Mary], I’m taking great delight in the discomfort being experienced by the Evertonians, who’ve just seen their team go in at half-time 3-0 down…

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

The Evertonians’ turn will come (tomorrow afternoon).

• steve_the_beard
          Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I sincerely hope so… but we’ve seen wonderful runs come to an end before… shouldn’t it be easy to be a Spud?

7. Davidbaudains
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Any hints on 23a? Completely stumped!

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog David

23a Heather’s clothing remains striking (7)
      Another word for heather around (clothing) some remains (of a fire)

• Davidbaudains
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Not needed as I had a duh moment! But thanks anyway. Bd I was surprised to see my normal c/s of jersey onto did not appear rather than my name. Has the site changed? I changed my email address a while back when I switched to Apple. Thoughts pse?

• steve_the_beard
          Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

This isn’t a definitive answer… but I think that changing your email address makes you a different person here…

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

It could be that you are logged in to facebook or a similar site. There should be an option to change the way you are commenting.

• Shawn
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the clues here. I had another word in here to complete the puzzle, but could not see the match! Dumbo. Always like to check and confirm my answers. Thanks once again for this special blog.

8. Adastra
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

It may have been a walk in the park for most of you, but it’s the very first Daily Telegraph Cryptic I’ve ever finished without any help at all, and I’m feeling really pleased with myself. The hints, explanations and discussions on this blog have taught me so much and I want to thank every single one of you.

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Adastra

Well done!

• Caroline
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Me too! I have a smug look of self-satisafaction! I still enjoy reading the hints and comments though. Now, what to do with the rest of my Saturday!

Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Try the NTSPP (see recent posts above right) – its very good.

• Shawn
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I finished rather quickly as well, and went to the gym! Circuit, rowing and cycle. Probably will not be able to walk tomorrow! Exercised my brain and body today!

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Well done you! Personally, I thought that today’s crossword was a little harder than the usual Saturday fare, which should make you feel even better :-)

Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Well done Adastra – you should be feeling really pleased with yourself – keep commenting. It sounds as if you may have been lurking for a while – I sometimes wonder just how many lurkers there are out there.
      I certainly agree about the blog – wonderful, isn’t it? :smile:

9. Only fools
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Pleasant puzzle on a less than pleasant day ,some nice clues,faves 3d,19d,13a.
    Thanks very much .

10. Rosie G
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Have only recently returned to cryptic crosswords after a long absence and have been really grateful for the hints that have been getting me back up to speed again. Really enjoyed this one and no help needed today. Yippee! Thanks to setter and for the entertainment value of the clues

11. Gardenman
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Oddly enough it took me longer to complete the Quick Crossword than it did the Prize one today – which I thought was a nice wee coffee break puzzle. Harking back to the pun contained in the first four clues of the ‘Quickie’, I know it was meant to read ‘Prime minister’s question time’, but 6 across’s answer ‘quash’ isn’t very close to sounding like ‘quest’ – or have I answered something wrongly?

• Digby
      Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Agree. See my comment #5 above.

12. Rosie G
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Doing the crossword on the iPad I did not realise it was all four clues, but I got quash too and do not think the whole pun is very good in that case

Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle – fairly straightforward for a Saturday, I thought, but that sounds a bit discouraging to people who have managed to finish one for the first time so I’ll just add that I’ve been following this blog for three years now (or is it two – not sure) so I ought to be able to do them by now.
    My only problems were of my own making – answer to 15d in space for 14d and vice versa! :roll:
    My favourite clue was 11a – it really did what it says.
    I also liked 17a and 2, 3, 7, 18 and 20.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.
    Going to have a go at NTSPP later.
    Quiet here today – where is everyone – OK, I can guess!!

• mary
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Apart from the rugby Kath, a few of us have had trouble accessing todays puzzle blog

Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Ah – rugby was it? And trouble accessing the blog? As my grandmother would have said “Whatever will they think of next”?
        No idea who won what or who was playing against who and, to be entirely honest, couldn’t give a monkeys but I do hope that the best man (team) won. Perhaps I should go away now . . .

14. Eileen
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Hi might be easy but I can’t get 13d because can’t fit the first word of 13a in. Please please help I’m goi ng crazy wiith frustration as I know I should be able to see it. Thanks

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

13d Desmond’s flipping work! Habitual response is high-handed (8)
      DES(mond) followed by the reversal (flipping) of the 2-letter musical work and an habitual response or spasm

Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Sorry BD – rather assumed that all you clever people were watching sport, although I have to confess that I don’t have the first idea what is on! Not that that will surprise any of you. :oops:

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The stupid South African referee totally ruined the rugby. I didn’t care who won, but he stopped the game from being enjoyable.

• mary
            Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I agree Dave, never seen so many penalties but for me it was the right result , now for next week ;-)

• Caravaggio
            Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with your comment, Dave, but not the previous one regarding tomorrow’s outcome at Anfield!

• mary
              Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Hopefully you are right Cara!

• Dinosaur Pete
            Posted March 10, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Quite agree, it seems that the Southern hemisphere sides play to different standards of applying the rules to us. Maybe if we all played to the same rules we’d win more often. (but don’t let Mary know !).
            Also, while passing I’ll just mention that yesterday I couldn’t get any of your hints or the comments thereto but all seems fine now.

Roll on next weekend Mary !!!!

Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Eileen
      For 13d – the definition is high-handed. You need a 3 letter abbreviation for the name Desmond, followed by the usual 2 letter word for work but upside down (flipping) and then a 3 letter word for a habitual response – and I can’t think of a better way to give you a hint for the last three letters but I hope this helps. Good luck.

15. Dawn
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints and blog, some hints helped complete the bottom half which I found harder than the top half.

No real favourite clues today but I always feel a sense of accomplishment when the last clue is filled in,

16. MikeT
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I’m struggling to understand the wordplay in 22A, as it appears (to me) to indicate losing the wrong letter? Agree about the SA referee!

• mary
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure either Mike sorry

Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Look up the letter you ‘lose’ in the dictionary and you should see the link with acceptable, which is why when you remove it it is ‘not’ acceptable.

• mary
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks sue I was thinking on those lines but just couldn’t work it out, no need for dictionary a ‘duh’ moment when I read your comment :-)

• mary
          Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

not keen on the clue though

• MikeT
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

It never occurred to me to look up the letter in the BRB, but I can now see what you mean .. and it rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind, with regard to its usage. Many thanks for clarifying this.

Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

For the majority of my time solving the DT puzzles, I only had the dictionary to work out why something meant something in a particular clue. It is still more often than not my first port of call for explaining parts of clues.

17. mary
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Amazing how much I miss this blog when I can’t get onto it! Gave up about 12.30, thank goodness all is back to normal, really enjoyed todays only needing minimal help for one or two, thanks for hints Dave, though wasn’t able to access those this morning

18. Little Dave
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Took me a little while to finish this but did so without too much trouble. Some old favourites (10a) and overall nothing particularly outstanding clue-wise (unlike yesterday’s “philander” which was really nice). Thanks to the setter of course.

19. mary
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Oh no starting to rain!

Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Surely not? It’s all it’s been doing here for the last two days – everything had dried out a bit which meant that a walk didn’t mean a kitchen full of mud but now we’re back to being as bad as we were a couple of weeks ago. Since there isn’t a little face half up to its eyes in water I’ll just do a :sad: Could also do with a little wet collie face – for her, not me!!

20. mikef
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed that one. Now back to the rugby………………………………

21. Michael
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I had a bit of trouble looking at this blog using my IPAD – as I tried to page downwards it would not stay in position and just reverted to the top of the page – is this known problem?

I have reverted to my laptop to report the problem.

Oh, the crossword was ok today – got a bit stumped in the top left hand corner but once I got 1a it all fell into place,

• Lord Luvvaduck
      Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

I have had the same problem with the iPad for the last few hours; keep on leaving it and coming back later in the hope that the bug has gone away, but it hasn’t. Perfectly OK on the desktop (Vista).

22. una
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

stuck on 18d, help please ?

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

18d It has only one eye but that’s not the point (6)
      It’s a not-very-cryptic definition of something that has an eye at one end and a point at the other.

• una
        Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

could be I have the wrong type of American politician, I guess I’ll have to sleep on as nothing is coming to mind.thanks to setter and Big Dave.

• una
          Posted March 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

penny dropped , finally. Correct politician. Thanks, BD.

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

So you found out where he was hiding!

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to big Dave for the review and hints . Most enjoyable, no real problems, my first completion of the week. Meant to blog earlier then forgot . Was 2*/3* for me.

24. una
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Where are today’s hints?Sorry to sound like a ungrateful brat, but my elderly mother requires visiting and my last four are defying me !

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

They are never usually up before midday on a Sunday.

Which four are you stuck on?

• Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Not on this thread please. Hints are nearly finished.

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I know I know – its just that being an orphan with sons who are otherwise occupied today……

25. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Happy Mothers day Sue and all Mums without whom, where would we all be ? !!!!!

Many thanks yet again for all the hints BD last one in was 7d which had me totally confused by thinking of the wrong hospital dept. Doh !

We’ve returned to ankle deep mud after a brief respite so off to don wellies and walk very patient dog before THE kick off at Twickers !

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much Pete – that’s cheered this grumpy mum up very much.

We too have ankle deep mud – luckily I don’t have a dog to walk.

• una
        Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I paused before replying because it is so easy to not be quite on the right wavelength. Happy Mother’s day and every other day too.I’ve been wondering, has the son that spent Christmas in Ireland made a big announcement yet? such visits usually precede “announcements”.

Posted March 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

They have spent other Christmasses in Ireland – however, this time we did get the announcement that we are going to be grandparents in June! No sign of any other announcments but then that’s the modern way.

• una
            Posted March 10, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Congratulations ! Wonderful news! Yes, it does seem to be the modern way. Everybody says being a grand parent is much better than being a parent.I haven’t found out yet myself. Lucky you !

• mary
            Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

congratulations sue :-)

26. kate.cricket
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Getting back to post 16 and MIke It’s comment; my mother used to say to me ( of a look or an outfit) ‘it’s very *’. I used to think she was saying ‘***’ until she enlightened me when I was older and we started doing cryptic crosswords together.

• Posted March 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Kate

I’m sorry but I have censored the actual words used as they are not in the clue – but I’m sure everyone knows what you mean.