Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

Most of the clues today are fairly straightforward but the compiler has thrown in a few trickier ones (18a and 7d, for example) to keep us on our toes and there are also a couple where a bit of general knowledge is required, so I’ve upped the difficulty rating to three stars. Let us know how you got on.
If you need to reveal an answer just highlight the space between the brackets below the clue.

Across Clues

1a  Incorporated is gold tooth (7)
{INCISOR} – a front tooth is formed by joining together a) the abbreviation for incorporated (as used in the USA for a company that would be ltd. or plc here), b) IS (from the clue) and c) the heraldic tincture of gold.

5a  Favourite Australian river (7)
{DARLING} – double definition.

9a  Stupid duck in animated film (5)
{DUMBO} – an informal adjective meaning stupid is followed by the letter that looks like zero (a duck in cricket) to make the title of an animated Disney film.

10a  George meets trendy friend at one gaudy bar (3,6)
{GIN PALACE} – this is a derogatory term for a showily pretentious public house. Start with the abbreviation for George, then add an adjective meaning trendy, a synonym for friend and the playing card with one spot.

11a  Bellman, say, ringing the changes without hesitation (2,3,5)
{BY ALL MEANS} – an anagram (ringing the changes) of BELLMAN SAY produces a phrase meaning certainly or without hesitation (in agreeing to a request or suggestion).

12a  Article put in study for church dignitary (4)
{DEAN} – insert an indefinite article in a synonym for a study.

14a  German writer penning long horror story (5-7)
{SPINE-CHILLER} – the name of probably the second most famous German writer (after his friend Goethe) goes round (penning) a verb to long or yearn. The result is a frightening story.

18a  Part of magazine that could be recent? (6,6)
{CENTRE SPREAD} – this describes the facing middle pages of a magazine and it’s the type of clue (a reverse anagram) that I always have difficulty in describing. If you treat the answer as anagram fodder followed by an anagram indicator you should arrive at the word ‘recent’.

21a  Old rogue beheaded in part of church (4)
{NAVE} – remove the initial K (beheaded) from an old word for a rogue.

22a  Old man ripe for changing may be dad (10)
{PALINDROME} – an anagram (for changing) of OLD MAN RIPE produces a type of word or phrase of which dad is an example (pop would be another one).

25a  Lawyer’s assistant partner given a nasty glare inside (9)
{PARALEGAL} – this is someone who’s had some training but is not a fully qualified lawyer. A word meaning partner or chum has A and an anagram (nasty) of GLARE inside.

26a  Country home’s help going round (5)
{INDIA} – this Asian country comes from an adverb meaning at home followed by the reversal (going round) of a synonym for help.

27a  Composer from Belarus met an arranger (7)
{SMETANA} – hidden (from) in the clue is the name of a Czech composer whose most famous work was The Bartered Bride.

28a  Once viewed old things differently (2,5)
{ON SIGHT} – O(ld) is followed by an anagram (differently) of THINGS to make a phrase meaning once viewed or as soon as seen.

Down Clues

1d  Owing money is driving Italian round bend, possibly (2,4)
{IN DEBT} – the definition here is owing money. Put the abbreviation for Italian vermouth round an anagram (possibly) of BEND.

2d  Fighting, groom with a temperature (6)
{COMBAT} – groom here is a verb. Add A and T(emperature) to make fighting.

3d  Misery caused by wrecks located by docks (10)
{SPOILSPORT} – someone who is a misery or wet blanket comes from a verb meaning wrecks or damages followed by where you’d find docks.

4d  Prankster’s lilting accent, not British (5)
{ROGUE} – remove the initial B (not British) from a lilting accent.

5d  Rail fare may be taken here (6-3)
{DINING-CAR} – cryptic definition – think of fare as sustenance.

6d  Study religious education to get a degree (4)
{READ} – the abbreviation for religious education is followed by A and D(egree).

7d  A ring worn by one ‘It Girl’? (8)
{ISABELLA} – this is a girl’s name (think of the actress daughter of Ingrid Bergman, Miss Rossellini). Insert (worn) A and an informal word for ring (as in “give me a ring sometime”) in I (one) and the abbreviation for ‘it’ or the quality of being attractive in an erotic way.

8d  Leaves with English novelist on railway (8)
{GREENERY} – Graham the English novelist precedes (on, in a down clue) the abbreviation for railway.

13d  Random strikes across damn silly island (3-3-4)
{HIT-AND-MISS} – a phrase meaning random comes from a verb meaning strikes around (across) an anagram (silly) of DAMN and a two-letter abbreviation for island.

15d  Lots again suffering homesickness (9)
{NOSTALGIA} – an anagram (suffering) of LOTS AGAIN.

16d  Companion has forty winks, we hear, following second strong drink (8)
{SCHNAPPS} – the abbreviation for a Companion of Honour is followed by what sounds like (we hear) has forty winks. All that goes after S(econd) to make strong drink. We had this word in last Wednesday’s Toughie when the clue was: ‘Head of Physics in school dozes? It’s the drink (8)’ – which clue (if either) do you reckon should be the Toughie one?

17d  All that is in revues, spread out (8)
{UNIVERSE} – the definition is “all that is” (although some cosmologists now believe that there are multiple instances of these). It’s an anagram (spread out) of IN REVUES.

19d  Greedy guts putting away last of port and party food item (3,3)
{HOT DOG} – the animal which is a metaphor for a greedy guts goes round (putting away, i.e. eating) the last letter of (por)T and the usual Crosswordland party to make a food item.

20d  Leave extremely desirable role (6)
{DEPART} – the outer (extremely) letters of D(esirabl)E are followed by a theatrical role.

23d  One dimly lit? Not my house (5)
{IGLOO} – I (one) is followed by an adjective meaning dimly lit without the “my” to make a type of house.

24d  Bone placed in useful napkin (4)
{ULNA} – one of the bones in the forearm is hidden (placed) in the clue.

My favourite clues today were 14a and 1d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {PLAICE} + {COOL} = {PLAYSCHOOL}

Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Apart from buffet car for 5d, no real problems in this one today.
    I quite liked it,; thanks to setter, and to gazza for the notes.

• gnomethang
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Me too! – Then I hit the buffers!.
      THanks to the setter and to gazza for the review.

• Jezza
        Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Its been bugging me all day – I was convinced I made the same error before; Toughie 511 last February.
        I must say I prefer buffet-car to dining-car, and with a 10-day trip to Marseille this Friday via Eurostar and TGV, I made sure we positioned ourselves as close as possibe to the refreshments (and I am sure Eurostar call it buffet-car).:)

• Heno
          Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I also had buffet car, and a feeling of deja vu.

2. Wozza
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I actually found this quite easy except I couldn’t explain my answer for 7 down and to be honest I still don’t understand your explanation – being thick I expect.

I enjoyed it a lot so thanks to both of you.

BTW I don’t seem to be able to post comments from the new iPad app so can only leave comments when on my mac. Am I missing something.

thx

W

Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

7d Insert A and BELL (ring) amongst I and SA (sex appeal).

• Wozza
        Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Thanks – it was the SA I hadn’t come across before.

W

• beaver
          Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

i gave it **/*** and like you could’nt quite make 7d work,in fact on reading Gazza’s blog i found that i had got it wrong ,my final letter was ‘e’ and i had ‘se’ for ‘sa’-sexually erotic instead of sex appeal! Clara Bow is turning in her grave!

• Colmce
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

When on the IPad I still find it easier to use the old style blog and have ditched the app, so no probs with comment, it also let’s you use reader so it’s easier to access answers in review.
      QED!

• Wozza
        Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Yes, that seems to work assuming this posts… Thanks for the help

3. Colmce
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

A bit of a thinker this one, so agree with your rating.
    Thanks for review which explained 7&18d.
    Thanks to compiler for a good puzzle.

4. MVJ Pilot
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza for the tips. Dumbo here had Daffy the duck for 9a. 14a, 7d and 3d all gave me difficulty.
    I think the best clue was 14a for difficulty but I liked the way 10a is constructed.
    Im not expert enough to rate the crossword, just happy to do it.

• Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Looks like we were posting at the same time! Great minds … or a pair of Dumbo’s

• MVJ Pilot
        Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I think I watched too many cartoons as a kid.

• MVJ Pilot
          Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Hence the inability to spot anything subtle or cryptic!

• gnomethang
        Posted May 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I’ll stick my hand up to Daffy as well!

Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

If all you Daffy people had had to spend too many years with Dumbo on entertaining small boys as I did, Daffy would be the last thing that would come into your mind when seeing the combination of stupid and duck.

• pommers
            Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Sorry Sue. To me ‘stupid duck = Daffy’. It works on many levels – Daffy = stupid, Daffy duck= stupid duck (which he is) and Daffy = duck in animated film :grin: Reckon the compiler had a lot of fun putting that one together :lol: DUMBO works but somehow isn’t as elegant an answer.

Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Agree – and it’s not just small boys – it’s small girls too! Daffy didn’t even occur to me!

Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I’d give it 2.5* ish for difficulty but apart from that as usual I agree with Gazza. thanks to him and the Tuesday Mysteron.

The toughie doesn’t take much longer to solve but is about right for the start of the Toughie week.

Fans of Dada//Paul may wish to note that he is the setter of today’s FT, which is currently putting up a bit of a fight.

6. Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else mistakenly put DAFFY for 9a then struggle with the top left corner? As soon as I realised my error it was plain sailing.

I’m a bit behind time today because yesterday I came out of retirement to play in the staff match at Ewood Park (last game before the pitch is relaid)… I could hardly get out of bed this morning!

I agree with the ***/*** rating. Thanks to the setter and Gazza for explaining 14a, I only worked it out from the checking letters.

• Horatio
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Guilty.

7. MVJ Pilot
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Re 16d I think todays clue is harder.

8. MikeT
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

9A – Another Daffy here, sucked in by “duck” – which everyone knows is a cricket score. Struggled with 14A – couldn’t get that well known German writer Frank Enstein out of my mind !!!

9. eXternal
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I really liked this one. Especially 14a for being so elegant and charming. I am one of those that doesn’t understand 7d. Surely if the ‘ring’ is worn by ‘it’ then ‘ring’ should be on the outside. Either that or I have been getting dressed wrongly all these years.

Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I think wear works as a containment indicator if you use it in the sense of bear or accept (e.g. “I’ve asked him for a loan but he won’t wear it”).

10. BigBoab
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for a most enjoyable crossword and to Gazza for the review.

11. St George
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I also agree with the ratings, and like a lot of others above had Daffy in 9A, but my last one in was 23D as I had it ending in ‘I.’ What a 9A I am. Thanks for the help Gazza.

12. pommers
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I too was a bit Daffy so consequently 2d and 3d were last 2 in, d’oh! Only started to suspect Daffy was wrong when trying to fit a word into S_Y_L_P_R_ !

Agree with Gazza’s favourites but 9a is also worth a mention for its excellent misdirection, which appears to have caught many of us out :grin:

Very enjoyable puzzle so thanks to the mysteron and Gazza.

13. Estragon
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle but 7d was a stinker.
    Regards from the Thames Valley.

Posted May 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I thought 7d was really a Toughie standard clue. It was the main reason that I gave the puzzle three stars for difficulty rather than two.

14. William Geddes
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

3 on the blacksheepometer and a good blend of stuff for my money.

A good few penny drops which is what I like combined with those where you have got the answer and it only remains to work out why.

I have a rule which is if I don’t understand why then it it doesn’t go in.

15. pommers
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Good rule but it wouldn’t have helped me on 9a – I understood exactly why the answer was DAFFY :grin:

Posted May 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this very much. I couldn’t do 18a even with alternate letters and eventually, on grounds of time, gave in and read the hint. I didn’t fall for “daffy” for 9a and managed 7d although I couldn’t quite explain the whole answer – I ALWAYS forget about “SA” and “it”. As far as which clue for 16d is concerned I’m not sure that either is Toughie standard – if I can do it then it probably shouldn’t be in a Toughie!!
    I liked 10, 14 and 22a and 3, 8, 16 and 19d. My favourite was 23d.
    With thanks to whoever set today’s puzzle and to gazza.

17. Derek
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed solving this one.

Faves : 10a, 14a, 18a, 22a, 7d, 13d, 19d & 23d.

We had a drop of rain this AM but now back to summery weather.

Must get prepared for my son’s arrival from NYC tomorrow.

18. nubian
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle, nothing contentious so will just say thanks to Gazza and the Setter woof woof

19. Addicted
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t do this AT ALL – think I only managed 10 clues before heading for the hints. 5* for difficulty for me – definitely NOT my day!

20. Little Dave
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, I too went for buffet car – DOH! Other than that no problems and done quite quickly.

21. Bemused
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyed today’s challenge, despite having a few where the answer was apparent but I couldn’t, for a while, see why – especially 16d, which I didn’t understand until turning to the tips (thanks, Gazza), as (C)ompanion of (H)onour is a new one on me. Filed away now in the old grey cells for future reference.

Particularly enjoyed 14a, 18a and 22a, where ‘dad’ had me misdirected for a while until the solution of the anagram made the penny drop.

I note references to an iPad app here – is this available on the iPhone too? If so, what’s it called, please?

22. Peter
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I have not used the site for o few weeks and now find it very difficult to navigate around from my I pad. What has happened and why has the original site been replaced. What am I missing?

• William Geddes
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Peter – it will help you, not, to know, that, I have had the same experience for over a month and, whilst, have asked the same question twice before have still to receive an answer. Perhaps the site has been acquired by News International?

23. sarumite
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

My first visit for some while and nothing of any consequence to add that’s not already been said.
    An enjoyable puzzle, but would the clue for 26a not be more accurate if “home’s” simply read “home”?
    I’m not trying to be pedantic … it’s possible the sun has scrambled my thoughts ;o)

Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I think it would work with or without the ‘S. As it’s written we can read the ‘home’s’ as ‘home has’.

• pommers
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry when disussing xword clues :grin:

• sarumite
      Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Many thanks gazza and pommers, all is now clear!

Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Gazza for the review & hints. Enjoyed this one apart from having buffet car for 5d. Soon saw the error of my ways when I got 10a. Started with 1a & finished with 7d. favourite was 9a.Great day for painting outside in Central London. Sowesters at the ready for Wednesday evening !

25. Aunty Marge
    Posted May 30, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Amazing only needed help with 2 clues & not 7d or18a . One of them was daffy! Once I got that sorted combat went in easily. We’re it always as satisfying. As this.

Posted May 30, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Aunty Marge,
      Your comment required moderation because you’ve changed your email address and alias (I presume that you are “Mystic Meg”? – if not I apologise).