Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty */** Enjoyment **

This is a pretty easy puzzle and one which, for me, seemed somewhat mechanical and lacking in sparkle. You, of course, may have thought that it was wonderful – let me know.
If you want to see an answer just highlight the spaces between the brackets under the clues (if you are accessing the blog from a hand-held device see the FAQ s for how to reveal the answers).

Across Clues

1a  Raw talent given suit after part of course (5,7)
{ ROUGH DIAMOND } – this is a description of someone with potential but who lacks polish and sophistication. A suit (of cards) goes after the part of a golf course that a player tries to keep his ball out of. The second word works for a single card but as a suit it should have an S on the end .

8a  A long run largely devised to produce weariness (7)
{ LANGUOR } – an anagram (devised) of A LONG RU(n).

9a  Town is accommodating quiet jam makers by church (7)
{ IPSWICH } – this is a town in Suffolk. IS contains the musical abbreviation for quiet, then that is followed by the organisation famous for jam (and Jerusalem) and one of the abbreviations of church.

11a  Hold first woman trailing bishop and priest (7)
{ BELIEVE } – the definition here is hold in the sense of hold true. The first woman in the Bible follows the abbreviation for a bishop on the chessboard and an Old Testament priest.

12a  Imperial figure from Amritsar in ashram (7)
{ TSARINA } – hidden (from) in the clue is a female imperial figure.

13a  Dogs, perhaps, heard in part of supermarket (5)
{ AISLE } – This is something that you find in a supermarket (or church). It sounds like (heard) a geographical feature of which that of Dogs (in London) is an example (perhaps). Dogs makes a change from Man.

14a  Fib about male getting insubstantial public exposure? (9)
{ LIMELIGHT } – this word meaning the glare of public exposure was originally a method of illumination used in the theatre in the days before electricity. Put a synonym for fib around M(ale) and end with an adjective meaning insubstantial or flimsy.

16a  Animals taken round second old city in ship (9)
{ DESTROYER } – hoofed animals go round S(econd) and a legendary old city famous for its siege to make a type of warship.

19a  Manage to follow shop’s principal range (5)
{ SCOPE } – a verb meaning to manage follows the principal letter of S(hop) to make a range or sphere.

21a  Popular drink I had in flat (7)
{ INSIPID } – flat is the definition here and is an adjective rather than a noun. It’s a charade of a) a short word for popular or trendy, b) a verb to drink a small amount and c) a contraction of “I had”.

23a  Excellent teacher restraining troublemaker finally, vacant sort (7)
{ AIRHEAD } – an abbreviation meaning excellent and the senior teacher in a school contain (restraining) the final letter of (troublemake)R.

24a  Like one observant ambassador say hosting big noise (7)
{ HEEDING } – the definition is like (some)one (who is) observant or paying attention. The abbreviation of the title of an ambassador is followed by the abbreviation of say or “for example” containing a loud noise.

25a  Skill is a necessity principally for mechanic (7)
{ ARTISAN } – this is a person working at a manual trade or mechanic. String together a synonym for skill, IS A and the principal letter of N(ecessity).

26a  Hotel stew has to be replaced to attract the most publicity (5,3,4)
{ STEAL THE SHOW } – an anagram (to be re-placed) of HOTEL STEW HAS produces a phrase meaning to win the most applause or attract the most publicity.

Down Clues

1d  Irritates the French following row (7)
{ RANKLES } – a verb meaning irritates or causes resentment comes from one of the French definite articles following a row or tier.

2d  Music-maker from this country left to go into posh sheltered place (7)
{ UKULELE } – Gnomey’s favourite music-maker (which I always have problems spelling) comes from the abbreviation of our country followed by L(eft) inside the letter used for posh and a sheltered place.

3d  Spare holy ground for boisterous activity (9)
{ HORSEPLAY } – an anagram (ground) of SPARE HOLY.

4d  Old despot with empty outburst, thick type (5)
{ IDIOT } – the forename of the old Ugandan despot is followed by the outer letters (empty) of O(utburs)T.

5d  Wrongly term claims concocted by lecturer (7)
{ MISCALL } – a verb meaning to use the wrong name for something is an anagram (concocted) of CLAIMS followed by L(ecturer).

6d  Third character in Lent in a poor condition holding fast (7)
{ NAILING } – the third letter of (le)N(t) is followed by a present participle meaning in a poor condition or in delicate health.

7d  Part of pack mischievously hid can full of weight — and big snack (4,8)
{ CLUB SANDWICH } – this large snack comes from one of the suits in a pack of cards followed by an anagram (mischievously) of HID CAN containing (full of) W(eight). The surface doesn’t seem to mean anything .

10d  Fashion in judicial investigation producing much sorrow (5-7)
{ HEART-RENDING } – a synonym for a fashion or craze goes inside a judicial investigation or official inquiry. The definition is producing much sorrow or distressing.

15d  Preserve a dram with meal that’s cooked (9)
{ MARMALADE } – a preserve normally eaten at breakfast is an anagram (cooked) of A DRAM and MEAL.

17d  American priest in religious group, one wanted by the police? (7)
{ SUSPECT } – put an abbreviation for American and P(riest) inside a religious group or faction.

18d  Page put in memorial with a copy (7)
{ REPLICA } – put P(age) inside a Roman Catholic term for a personal memorial of a saint (including, bizarrely, bits of bone or other bodily parts) then finish with A to make a copy.

19d  Extend time inside (7)
{ STRETCH } – double definition, the second an informal term for time spent inside at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

20d  Supervised position of carpenter at work? (7)
{ OVERSAW } – the definition is supervised, but cryptically as (4,3) it might describe the position of a working carpenter.

22d  Figure getting mine owner’s instruction in pit? (5)
{ DIGIT } – a figure in the range 0-9 could (at a stretch) be the terse instruction (3,2) of a mine owner to one of his workers.

None of the clues really stood out for me today. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: { CABBIE } + { NETT } = { CABINET }

1. Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Must agree with your assessment Gazza, nothing too inspiring today but not too difficult.
    I like your illustration for 9A. I used to go to school near there and my Mum and Dad once stayed in a hotel opposite the town hall pictured. The clock chimed every quarter of an hour all night. They loved it. (not)

2. Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I also agree. Quite straight forward and not very taxing. Pleasant though.

3. Wozza
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I actually found it quite tough but also found it flat particularly after Sunday and Monday’s great offerings.

4. mary
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Morning Gazza, I thought this was ‘workable’ rather than mechanical today, all the answers can be worked out more or less from the wordplay, though 24a took me a while and was last in, some of the readings I thought were rather iffy, eg 7d and a few others, I enjoy a crossword where I can work things out and it’s good practice despite some of the readings, a two to three star all round for me today, this may be my last day of crossword peace for a while with the Easter hols and various grandchildren arriving at various times, one on a two night stay, Oh the joy of it! :-D

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Nothing too tricky today. I checked the spelling of 2d, and hesitated with 1a (I also thought the suit should have an S on the end).
    Thanks to setter, and to gazza for the notes.

I have just printed off the Toughie. As soon as I saw the setter, I had a ‘Beam’ across my face!

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Likewise re 2d..

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I didn’t have a problem with the spelling at 2d (in any case the wordplay helps!) but the spelling of the second U for an E is extremely prevelant. Very straightforward today – If I were to have been on the train it would have been a one stopper. Thanks to the setter and to gazza.

6. Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Entering AIRIEST for 23a wasn’t a good move. I’d thought it ended in ST – ‘vacant’ SorT – before I got the reading right. Otherwise a fairly simple one.

The timer on the iPad app hasn’t been running when I’ve entered the Cryptic page on the past few days.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Must be me, managed 5 answers unaided, just couldn’t get on to the setters wavelength. For me a 4 star for difficulty and a 1 star for enjoyment.

• mary
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

We’re all different Brian, I didn’t say I had finished it unaided, I didn’t need the blog hints but I still needed to use my electronic ‘friends’ and books :-) , I think since starting cryptic crosswords (just the Telegraph) almost three years ago, I have only finished 4 or 5 completely unaided, my first was a Rufus

Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I quite liked this one but made life more difficult than it need have been by a couple of really stupid mistakes. I spelt 8a wrong which meant 2d didn’t fit (and didn’t get 1a for ages anyway) and I managed to split 10d into 4, 8 instead of 5, 7. Oh dear – not a very good start! I didn’t get very many of the across answers on first read through and so had convinced myself that it was going to be a very difficult one. After sorting out all the problems that were of my own making it all went well. Probably a 2/3* for me today. I agree about there being no clues that particularly stand out – perhaps 20d. With thanks to the mystery setter and to Gazza.
    Do I dare have a look at the toughie if time permits?

• Jezza
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

It is your favourite setter today, Kath. Not too tricky, but not too easy either. Somewhere in the middle :)

Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I might just take a peep with one eye shut in case it scares me off! Have only ever tried a couple of his toughies before and, even though he is my favourite setter, found them pretty much impossible.

9. Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Fairly average Tuesday for me. I still have trouble with the U and the O in 8d which doesn’t help with the down clues, although knowing Gnomey’s favourite instrument did help with 2d. Thanks to the Mysteron and Gazza too.

The Beam toughie is very good – the bottom half goes in easier than the top, if you are looking for the best place to start. The most fun crossword of the day award, however, goes to Arachne in the Guardian. Do give her a try if you have time, you won’t be disappointed.

• andy
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

It did?, I found it the complete opposite and have ground to a complete halt in the SW

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Have to agree about the Beam and Arachne puzzles – both excellent :grin:

• Senf
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I also had the U and O transposed in 8a which did not help at all with 2d. Checked the etymology for 8a and it has Latin and French roots – both very fond of putting U after G!!

10. Colmce
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, for review, found this puzzle quite straight forward, and got all the answers for the right reasons without any electric help, so 1* difficulty would seem to be fair.

For a duffer like me it was a pleasant start to the day, but I can see that for hardened solvers it would be very basic. Thanks to the setter.

11. beaver
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

**/** today for me,thought it looked difficult initially,but was’nt once i got a start, could’nt see where the ‘L’ came from in c ubs in7d. i was working on the premise that cubs were part of the pack-ie small boy scouts! instead of a suit of cards,never mind,realised in the end,apart from this self inflicted error the rest was logical.

12. dryburgh
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyed the puzzle, it suited my having to fit in doing it between several interruptions.
    The one sticky one for me was 24a – had the right answer but wasn’t sure why. So clear when explained by Gazza!!

13. Drongo
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

In the illustration for 7d is that a fly sitting on top?

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I think it’s one of those spear-things (don’t know the technical term) thrust through it to stop it all falling over.

• Jezza
        Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Skewer?

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

That’s the word.

• Drongo
        Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

No it’s definitely a fly!

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Didn’t notice that… Got distracted by 2d..

• Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Its howy they prepares them now. They makes the sarnie and sticks a sticker through then they sticks a bit of green gunk to the top of the sticker thingy (and its a bugger to get off) so that the punter assumes its part of the food, wolfs it down and gets a pierced tongue for their troubles (you’ve probably seen all these youngsters who had them for school dinners and some who tried eating them upside down and did the upper lip or even eyebrow)

14. St. George
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Went through it fairly quickly but hit a wall with 2D and 8A I will never spell 2D incorrectly again! Thanks Gazza.

15. Addicted
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Didn’t think I could do this at first read through then settled down to it later over lunch and it went like a dream, though in a rather odd way in that I started on the right, then across the bottom half, up the left and top was last, with 4d being last in. Hiccup with 8a as also spelt it wrong (funny word, isn’t it??) then made the effort to check it, which allowed 2d to fall in nicely. Agree nothing very outstanding but liked 11a and 13a. Thanks for nicely illustrated hints!

16. Posted April 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyable but only a 1* for us. At least that meant we could get it finished sitting outside before the rain arrived :grin:

No stand-out favourites today.

Thanks to the mysteron and Gazza.

17. Senf
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Still work in progress here in Texas, but I really like the construction of 9a – especially the Jam and Jerusalem connection.

18. Nigel Baker
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I must be having an off day today, thankfully needed something not too taxing a 1/2* – about right. 2d nice picture of a uke!
    24a last in and held me up a little. Overall very enjoyable 4*
    Many thanks to all.

19. henostat
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & Gazza. Managed it ok, but I agree with Gazza’s view that it lacked a bit of sparkle, pleasant nonetheless. Favourites 13a & 22d. Actually had a small amount of rain this afternoon in Central London.

20. Posted April 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I was a bit of a mardarse (fellow Mancs will understand this) about yesterday so would like to say I enjoyed today’s.
    The only thing that spoilt it was not having the final suit in at the bottom.

21. Derek
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I found this puzzle to be very 21a!

Can’t really choose any likes or faves!

Re 9a : I cannot find any slang reference anywhere to the WI being jam-makers although it seems to be an old concept. The DT did mention the idea a day or so ago by mentioning Mr. Nilsson shoving in to the ladies’ bailiwick!

Fish and chips tonight then rasps and cream.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I think it’s probably just the image that the WI have. There was a bit of a kerfuffle (can’t remember when) about whether or not they were breaking all the “Health and Safety” rules etc etc. If I’ve invented all this I’m pretty sure that someone will tell me!!
      Enjoy your supper!! :smile:

• Senf
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

My mother was in the WI and always referred to “Jam and Jerusalem.” Jam as a generic term for all the home made “stuff” and William Blake’s poem which was/is the WI “Anthem.”

• andy
      Posted April 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Derek

might help, but I think Senf has it. Anyway enjoy your eel and potato dish sans vino!!!

• Derek
        Posted April 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks Andy!

22. dogeatingpike
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I dont think much of the grid for the quickie today, not that I ever do it.

23. Little Dave
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

All done save 24a. Doh!

24. Terryatslough
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Made the same mistake with 8a, Kath. Glad to find another with same weakness. I thought this was pretty hard, Brian, note, & I’ve been doing the DT for ages. Couldn’t get going at all at first till 9 & 12 got me started. Also misspelt 15 – terrible. Scrabble on line should have sharpened me up – due rain pm.

25. RogBrown
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Did nobody notice we had diamonds, clubs & hearts round three sides but no spades across the bottom? What was that about?

%d bloggers like this: