Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

Pretty straight forward stuff today from Rufus, but still as entertaining as ever.

If the hint isn’t enough to help you find the answer, you can reveal it by highlighting the space between the curly brackets

1. Celebrity spy trial one triggered (11)
{ PERSONALITY } – An anagram (triggered) of SPY TRIAL ONE is also a well known person.

9. Certainly not like Thomas (9)
{ DOUBTLESS } – Another word for “certainly not” is also unlike the Apostle Thomas, someone who refuses to believe in something without direct physical evidence.

10. Weird how mill-race ends in the lake (5)
{ EERIE } – Put the last letter of race into one of the Great Lakes to produce a word that means supernatural or mysterious.

11. Small number may get lift or fall asleep (3,3)
{ NOD OFF } – NO (small number) and a word that means to take off or remove (typically ones hat).

12. Carefully select a manual digging implement (4-4)
{ HAND-PICK } – To choose or select with great care could also be something that you might use to manually excavate a hole.

13. Sally alters image of Tories (6)
{ SORTIE } – An anagram (alters image) of TORIES is the sort of sally that’s an excursion.

15. Weapon — injure about one thousand with it (8)
{ SCIMITAR } – Put a mark left on the skin after a wound has healed around I M (thousand) and IT to get a curved sword.

18. Gives some support for regular girlfriends (8)
{ STEADIES } – A word that describes firming something in a position or place could also be regular girlfriends.

19. In trouble, is repeatedly after credit (6)
{ CRISIS } – CR (credit) followed by IS twice.

21. Refurbished local tea place (8)
{ ALLOCATE } – An anagram (refurbished) of LOCAL TEA.

23. One who hardly rules? (6)
{ TYRANT } – An absolute ruler who governs in a harsh cruel manner.

26. Not very bright, needs to be properly organised (5)
{ DENSE } – An anagram (properly organised) of NEEDS.

27. Manufacturers of eye-drops (4,5)
{ TEAR DUCTS } – They carry the salty contents of the lachrymal glands.

28. Split up the business and go separate ways (4,7)
{ PART COMPANY } – Breaking up a formal business entity could also refer to people who separate.

1. They’re out of step and they’re over-fussy (7)
{ PEDANTS } – An anagram (out of) of STEP AND for people who are concerned chiefly with insignificant detail – crossword bloggers perhaps?

2. Drinks and a sandwich (5)
{ ROUND } – A drink for each person in a group, could also be pieces of bread.

3. Mad at being forgotten? (3,2,4)
{ OUT OF MIND } – A phrase that means forgotten or not in memory, could also refer to a person who is no longer sane.

4. Break seal to get drinks (4)
{ ALES } – An anagram (break) of SEAL.

5. An occasion of exemplary significance (8)
{ INSTANCE } – An occurrence or an example.

6. Submit return (5)
{ YIELD } – Double definition. To give in or the return on an investment.

7. One who smashes cars — on the circuit? (7)
{ BREAKER } – Someone who takes old cars apart could also be an automatic switch that can stop the flow of electricity.

8. Entertainers needing a rest sit out (8)
{ ARTISTES } – An anagram (out) of A REST SIT.

14. Sir Nigel ordered wine (8)
{ RIESLING } – Another anagram (ordered) this time of SIR NIGEL is a white wine from the Rhine valley in Germany.

16. A good reason for being late? (9)
{ MARTYRDOM } – a cryptic definition that refers to a death that is imposed because of a person’s adherence to a particular religious faith or cause.

17. He’s been willing to try to set up roster (8)
{ TESTATOR } – Someone who has made a legally valid will before death is constructed from TEST (willing to try) and then another word for a register of names or duties reversed (set up).

18. Lads can broadcast malicious gossip (7)
{ SCANDAL } – An anagram (broadcast) of LADS CAN.

20. Meet, and come up to expectations (7)
{ SATISFY } – To gratify the need, desire, or expectation of. Or to be sufficient or adequate. The two meanings seem almost identical.

22. He takes out capital cover that’s not expensive (5)
{ CHEAP } – Remember that in crossword land that capital can mean head. Put an item of headwear around HE for a word than means low in cost.

24. Bill’s getting a new car somewhere in Ghana (5)
{ ACCRA } – AC (bill) and an anagram (new) of CAR is also the capital of Ghana .

25. Mineral found in hospital cabinets (4)
{ TALC } – A fine-grained white mineral can be found hidden between the two words of hospital and cabinets.

The Quick crossword pun: { Autumn } + { attic } = { automatic }

1. wbgeddes
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I really fancy having a go at trying some crossword compiling. Any suggestions anyone?

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

If you want to try, go for it. I’m sure you will find someone to try it out & give you honest feedback. If you don’t try, you cannot succeed.

• Wbgeddes
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thanks. Prob should start with a downloadable grid from somewhere

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Good idea. If you google “Crossword Grids” it returns a good selection of sites for you to browse.

• mary
          Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

You can download a free sample of ‘crossword compiler’ from the web, which will give you an idea of how it’s done Wb, not that I can do it but I thought I’d have a go a few weeks back and downloaded this but that’s as far as I’ve got!!

• Wbgeddes
            Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Well I will go a googlin’ and see what I can find.

• Wbgeddes
              Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Just one adjustment. British crossword grids seems to be the thing to search for. Otherwise the basic search seems to be USA style word clue grids which are very different.

• mary
          Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Have you joined COW it’s a clue writing site where a word is set each week and people can enter up to four clues for the word, the results are posted on Friday evenings and the ‘winner’ gets the honour of setting the next word and judging the entries, it is good practice, there is a link to it at the side of this page

• Wbgeddes
            Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Thx Mary. Looking that up now.

2. Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

A nice straightforward start to the week for me. A few headscratching moments but all were solvable. 2* fo difficulty, 3* for enjoyment.

3. njm
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward start to the week. I agree with Libellule and Bifield on difficulty and enjoyment ratings.
    On a less positive note, the Quick puzzle on the website is yesterday’s, not today’s. This is the second time in a week, much to the disgust of Mrs. M, who is now missing her daily puzzle fix. Wake up IT dept and get it right, please!!

• Libellule
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Today’s Quick 26,727 can now be accessed via:
      The “Puzzles” menu on the Home page;
      The “Crossword Puzzles” menu on the top bar;
      The “Search Puzzle Archive” menu on the right side of the screen.

• njm
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Thanks for the update. Puzzle now successfully downloaded.

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I still prefer an early morning stroll to the paper shop to get my daily fix. I only download if we are away somewhere not within easy reach of a shop.

4. mary
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle, thanks for the hints although I didn’t need them today, the only clue that doesn’t ‘sit’ comfortably for me is 22d, fav clue 16d,agree with 2* rating today :-)

• njm
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Cap as cover for capita, he inside. I don’t see a cause for discontent?

• mary
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I don’t really understand the ‘takes out’ bit

• njm
          Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I think it means HE takes CAP as the out letters (i.e. CAP on the outside).

• mary
            Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Yes I was thinking that maybe but it still doesn’t work for me where does it say to put he inside cap? if cover applies to top of ‘capital’

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Capital refers to the the head. A cover for the head is a cap

• mary
                Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

ok so in fact the clue is saying ‘he takes out head cover – which is cap – as Libelulle says but it still does not answer the question – where does it say to put he inside cap? is ‘takes out’ the instruction for this? and if so how does this work? sorry, just trying to understand, still very much a learner :-)

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

It’s HE has (takes) CAP on the outside (out).

• mary
                    Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Well yes, thanks Gazza, if you put it like that, I suppose it’s right, is it right to you?

5. mary
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

In 13a Libelulle is ‘alters image’ an anagram indicator? doesn’t it read as anagram of ‘image’ ( I know that doesn’t fit) it was easy enough to get the answer but does the wordplay read properly?

• Libellule
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Mary,
      Works ok for me… anyone remember the band Altered Images?

• Pigdoghyena
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Hmmm…somewhere in my singles box there’s a copy of Happy Birthday. Clare Grogan was far more accomplished as an actor / actress / whatever the acceptable label is.

• Jerry
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I think it does – it alters the image of ‘tories’.

6. Pigdoghyena
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Sailed through today, having really struggled yesterday. Favourite was 15a, and 17d was last in. Thanks Libellule although didn’t need help for once.

Sadly it seems there’s no sudoku for pudding on the iPad!

7. Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Today’s Quick 26,727 can now be accessed via:
    The “Puzzles” menu on the Home page;
    The “Crossword Puzzles” menu on the top bar;
    The “Search Puzzle Archive” menu on the right side of the screen.

At the moment the Home page display still reads 184, as I can’t change that myself.

It appears to have been a different problem to that on Friday. Somehow the “Start date” for the puzzle had been set for after six o’clock this evening (18:48:15 to be precise). It’s probably human error (mine) but at the moment I can’t think what. It has not simply picked up the time when I uploaded it, as the time of uploading is given as 21:59:32 (I like to edit and upload after the emails have gone quiet).

Many apologies to all Quick solvers.

Phil McNeill
    Crossword Editor

• Julian of EC4
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Don’t you just love computers at times like this?

8. Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Enjoyable, if not too difficult fare today. Really enjoyed 27A since I enjoy clues that make you look at the world in a slightly different way (a slightly warped way in my case).

9. Sarah F
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

A very pleasant start to the week. A bitterly cold morning in Edinburgh so a walk followed by coffee and the crossword is just right!

Apparently the giant pandas love the cold, so they are at home here!!

Agree with ratings, and thanks to Rufus and Libelle.

Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Fairly quick and easy today, I thought, apart from a couple of problems which were of my own making completely. 1) 18a would have been far easier if I had spelt (spelled) 14d with the “E” and the “I” the right way round. 2) I had 7d wrong – I had “wrecker” – did wonder what the “circuit” had to do with anything! Oh dear – never mind! I liked 11, 12 and 23a (I did toy with despot briefly) and 1 and 16d. With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Jolly cold here today – going to wrap Christmas presents – have never been SO organised SO early. :grin:

• andy
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Kath I did the same re 14d, made 18a a tad tricky!

Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Oh good – so glad to know that I’m not the only numbskull around here today! :smile:

• mary
          Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

this numbskull put the s and the e the wrong way round!!!

• Gari
          Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Guess what ?, I thought I breezed through this today and then realised I also put wrecker in as i thought that a wrecking ball swinging would be a circuit Doh!. :D

• Addicted
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t sure about the e and the i,either, so left them blank til I’d got 18a, which gave me the answer! Me too for 7d, and like Katch wondered where the “circuit” came into it! Otherwise I don’t think I’ve ever completed a crossword in such record time, which was a lovely start to the week.

11. Captain Lethargy
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

It was a good monday workout today. Almost through in one reading – but not quite. My fav was 16d. Thanks to all concerned.

12. Warren
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

1 star difficulty, 1 star enjoyment for me. Really didn’t like it despite solving it very quickly but can’t put my finger on why. Maybe because I got too many answers without having to think about the underlying cryptic rationale.

13. Roland
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

A little too simple today in my opinion. As a result, all over too quickly without the need for any serious thought. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

14. The Buffer
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable start to the week, cheered me up no end. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule. Why did I need cheering up? Opened the lounge blinds this morning to see that winter has arrived in Cumbria. Scafell and all his mates are covered in snow.

• Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I thought that was the default state for Scafell. Had something similar on a visit to Scotland. We stopped to look at Ben Nevis and the missus mentioned the snow – a passer by said ‘O course there’s snow up there, Hell hasnae freezed over just yet’

• Addicted
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Yes, knew about that – rang my brother in Cumbria to-day and he was moaning about having to clear 2″ of snow off his front path!! Heck – still a white-free zone down in the SE but, who knows for how long??………?

15. Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Quick, easy, fun – it must be Rufus – this time with his cosy bedsocks on as well as his fluffy slippers. LThanks to him and to Libellule too.

It is blooming freezing in East Kent today – I might borrow the cosy socks to go with my thermal underwear as I am expecting my friend to ring in a minute and insist I got for a 2 1/2 mile round the windy marshes with her. The things I do for fitness!

Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and to Libellule for the review and hints. I found this very enjoyable but not too taxing. A nice start to the week. Favourites were 11& 27a and 17& 22d.

17. Franco
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

As a paper reader who buys the paper mainly for the crossword, I felt a bit “short-changed” today – (£1.20 for the paper).

It’s very unusual for me to just read the clues – and then “pencil” the answers in one by one without having to think!

I would prefer a harder challenge.

(Does anyone else find the “snow” irritating? )

BD, please, turn off the snow!

• Wayne
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Re: The Snow, a similar comment was made on comment 23# No:26726 (3/12/2011).

• Addicted
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Dear Franco – I also “buy” the paper (in fact, it’s in my box before I get up in the morning!) so please don’t complain about feeling short-changed – I’ll bet by the end of the week you’ll be begrudging the price for a different reason!! A fiver on it? (And yes, I do – but there’s actually none as I write this).

18. Pete
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Where or what is the snow people are talking about? None on my screen.

Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I only seem to get a tiny flurry intermittently – none at the moment! Don’t find it irritating at all – oh, here it goes again!

• Franco
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink
      • Wayne
        Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Photokeratitis?

• Gari
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

The snow on mine only show’s on the blue banner right at the top of the page so as soon as you scroll down in disappears.

• Wayne
      Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Plus on the adverts that intermittently occur under under the Quick Crossword Pun, plus occasionally in the background of the Hints and Tips and Comments. It affects my vision badly, could even be described as an “Elf and Safety” issue. Shouldn’t be a problem for BD to remove it if he so wished !

• mary
        Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I hardly notice it at all, it’s a shame it bothers you so much Wayne, it’s all in the Christmas spirit :-)

19. Roger
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Message to Phil McNeill…can you please tell us when the site will be back to normal? I have cancelled my subscription in frustration but would willingly rejoin if I knew that I would get a proper service. There is very little..nay, some would say none…information.

• Libellule
      Posted December 6, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Roger,
      My 2c, the site seems to be working perfectly ok, although it has its glitches now and then. For the last few weeks I have been able to sucessfully download the crosswords without any major problems.

• Roger
        Posted December 6, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I wonder what time of day you download them? Certainly when I was trying in the early morning – between 5.30 and 7 am UK time – it was a fruitless exercise. I also had a private reply saying that last week there were lots of problems last week, including wrong puzzles etc.

• Libellule
          Posted December 6, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Roger,
          Usually at about 7.00am – 8.00 am UK time… generally works ok for me. Trying to access the site overnight does seem to be a problem, probably because they are updating everybody’s scores.

20. Derek
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Late input from me as was at my daughter’s yesterday for Sint Dinner.
    Solved this with no reference to dictionaries or electronic aids whatsoever!
    Faves : 9a, 18a, 27a, 5d, 16d & 20d.

Weather in NL is now more normal – several hail showers and grey skies – very blustery!

The DT here now costs €3.50 (Mon – Fri) and €4.50 (Sat).

• mary
      Posted December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

That is really expensive!!

%d bloggers like this: