Miscellaneous Old Comments

Old comments left on a variety of pages

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Comments that have been left on a variety of different pages.

1. Son of BD
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

nice one Delia :-)

2. bigboab
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Very handy Dave, better than having your own Pears on the desk.

3. Posted February 23, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

And a lot cheaper, BigBoab!!

4. Posted February 25, 2009 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Don’t know how far this trend has infiltrated the Telegraph puzzle, but elsewhere, “radio alphabet” stuff like Mike=>M and Golf=>G is getting to be quite popular. So maybe the whole lot from Alpha to Zulu.

5. Posted February 25, 2009 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I’ve got a list of possible additions, and that one has just gone straight in at number one. Thanks

6. Federico
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Dave! long time without seeing you, hehe.
    I’m gonna try that tikka massala here… even though I still remember taste of the mango pickle frickle tickle whatever ickle is… :)

7. Posted March 2, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I used to work with Freddy in Milton Keynes, and we all felt sorry for him when a new job meant he had to move to Malaga – but then he does live in Granada!

8. Bellringer
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Having used the NATO alphabet for most of my life I have no need of that, although I am sure others may. But, a sample of Riders & Horses would be good. Napoleon & Morengo for example.

• Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Bellringer

It took me a while, but I have finally published the Horses and Riders page. Early drafts had over 600 entries, but I have whittled it down to about 100.

• Bellringer
        Posted January 6, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Ave! Dave
        I’ve been under the weather for a while and am only now catching up. Thanks for the list it should prove useful. But, I am sure that Turpin did not ride from London to York nor am I certain that his horse was Black Bess. I believe that this feat was achieved by another highwayman whose name escapes me for the moment.

• Posted January 6, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I’ve added the word “allegedly” to the entry for Black Bess!

9. Anncantab
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

how about Hebrew characters, would be useful with the Toughie today!

• Posted September 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I’ll bear it in mind – the same thought occurred to me when “beth” came up.

10. Ian
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Hi Dave,

Could you please recommend some resources to read about crosswords statistics. Google and Yahoo! are pretty quiet about it.

Ian

• Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ian

I’m sorry, but nothing comes to mind. What sort of stats are you looking for?

11. Neil
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

How about a list of Shakespearean characters?
    Big thanks for the site BTW!!!

• Posted January 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Neil

I’ll think about your suggestion. The problem is always where to draw the line on who to include and who not.

I’m working on Heraldry at the moment, but it is proving to be a bigger task than I thought and I may have to whittle down over 250 entries to about 100.

• Franco
      Posted January 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink
      • Neil
        Posted January 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to both of you!
        I live in Hong Kong and only get the puzzles when we come home and trawl through the back copies with my Father in Law from time to time. So I’m only on Sept 2011 at the moment!!!

12. Arthur Dent
    Posted June 29, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Hi BD,

How about some commonly used slang and cockney rhyming slang?

I was trying to remember if 500 was a “pony” or a “monkey” and I thought that I would be bound to find the answer here. Sadly not!

Thanks!