Comment – Jan 2014

Archived Comments – Jan 2014

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

This page is now closed – please use the main comment page

Return to the Comment Index page

Updated 1st February 2014

1. spindrift
    Posted January 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know how much the subscription is for the puzzle site? I’ve just had an e-mail advising that £35.88 has been deducted from my account but it doesn’t say whether it’s for the puzzle site or for access to the digital DT itself which I subscribe to also.

• Posted January 3, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I believe that is the correct puzzle subscription. Seems odd that they can keep that part of the system working and not the rest – apparently they are yet again in “the final stages of testing”.

• spindrift
        Posted January 3, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave. I presume it must be a separate system possibly maintained by the bank. If it is for the puzzle subscription then I think they’ve got a bloody cheek! Imagine continuing to charge a customer for a service which has been at best a makeshift job for 6 weeks – you’d never get away with it.

• Martyn Abbott
      Posted January 14, 2014 at 8:32 am | Permalink

I was under the impression that the crossword subscription was discounted for continuous renewals.

They have been refunding me at £2.50 per month, which adds up to £30 for an annual sub.

The service is getting worse by the way – today’s link brings up 2nd December’s puzzles!

As the yoof would say “Epic fail”.

• Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Martyn

What annoys me most is that you only get a refund if you apply. This is incompetence on a massive scale.

By the way, you’ve got mail.

• Martyn Abbott
          Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Many thanks for the mail Dave.

While it’s annoying to have to apply for a refund, I got the second month’s refund without prompting, which was nice.

Not sure everyone on here is aware that refunds are available.

2. spindrift
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

10:10 & the link has not been updated for today’s puzzle. Pathetic goes nowhere near describing the ineptitude of the site’s maintenance team.

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

You’ve got mail (again)!

• Arthur Dent
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Hi Dave,
        Any chance of one for me too. I’m about to go out for the day and was hoping to have a copy in my pocket for those times when I’m waiting for my wife (most of my life).
        I have been refreshing the page on the site every ten minutes of so from about 9:30 this morning.
        Sigh…

• Ken
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Hi Dave…
        Ditto if no problems, absolutely miserable up here at the mo, still no update on site, and wife wondering what I’m up to, ink in biro is drying up.

Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

May I also have a copy of today’s puzzle?

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

All yours

• Expat Chris
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Received. Many thanks!

• Ken
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Thanks Dave All Well now.

4. Jane
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Please can I have a copy too.

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jane

It’s on its way.

5. pommers
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thought I’d give them until 1200GMT but it’s not there yet so I guess it probably won’t turn up at all.

Pretty please Dave, Virgilius is my favourite!

6. Rexmos
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’d be grateful for a copy of today’s puzzle.

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Rexmos

You too have mail

• Rexmos
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Many thanks

7. anxiousmac
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Me too, if you would be so kind.
    Anxiousmac

8. Baa
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Any chance of a copy of today’s crossword please?. I’m getting severe withdrawal symptoms! My yearly subscription is due and I’m beginning to wonder what I’m actually paying for.

Thanks BD.

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Baa

Mail is on its way.

• Baa
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

You have saved the day! Thank you so much, very much appreciated. I’ll be back later for some hints!

9. ranger
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Could I have a copy too please?

10. stanXYZ
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

“Today’s Puzzles?”

Hmmm?

Going to buy the paper! I would hate to miss a Virgilius!

11. patsyann
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

There is no 4 page puzzle pullout in my copy of today’s paper. Is it just me?

• Una
      Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

It was in the middle of the First World War pullout , in my ST.

• stanXYZ
      Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Just bought the paper … look inside the “First World War” section.

On which subject … maybe we complain too much just because “telegraph.puzzles” fails to deliver.

• stanXYZ
        Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Just bought the paper … and then what happens? Cryptic Crossword No. 2725 finally appears!

Are they taking the ****?

12. Zaphod BB
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

If I could have a copy as well, please, I’d be very grateful.
    Thank you very much indeed.

• Posted January 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Zaphod – will be with you shortly

13. Jane
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks!

Posted January 6, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

BD – Do you by any chance have a pdf of yesterday’s Virgilius please? I still have no internet access at home, and did not venture outdoors yesterday to find a copy of the puzzle.

Posted January 6, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

… on its way.

15. Catnap
    Posted January 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Big Dave, please may I also beg a pdf of Sunday’s Virgillius’ puzzle if poss? Have been away. Much appreciation.

• Posted January 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

You’ve got mail!

• Catnap
        Posted January 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Oh, lovely! Thank you very much indeed.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

16. spindrift
    Posted January 8, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

47 days. Enough said.

17. mary
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Fed up of waiting! Can some nice person please send me a pdf of todays crossword

• Prolixic
      Posted January 12, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

You reportedly have a man!

• mary
        Posted January 12, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I do????? Must be really dim today, homophone indicator obviously …?? Oh yes… duh!! thank you Prolixic :-D

18. spindrift
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 8:58 am | Permalink

“Our technical department are working hard to restore full service.” – Obviously not hard enough. Also it should be “our technical department is”. Tut, tut!

• Posted January 13, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

They’re obviously so busy that they haven’t had time to update the progress report for 10 days.

• spindrift
      Posted January 13, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

BD – in this situation I would consider the use of the word “update the progress report” an unfortunate choice of phrase.

19. Baa
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Is it me, or is time going backwards? The current ‘temporary’ link to the crossword is now giving us Monday 2nd December’s crossword. Even the ‘apology’ is out of date.

Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:02 am | Permalink

If a kind person has either of today’s cryptics, I would be very appreciative.

• Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

The ether is a busy place today! You’ve got mail.

21. spindrift
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

This is extracting the urine! We’ve now got a crossword which, if numbered correctly, is about 5-6 weeks old! What the blazes is going on? It’s total anarchy. Mr McNeil is going to be getting a very terse mail from yours truly. I can’t believe they’ve taken my annual subscription when they aren’t providing what I paid for! As you can tell I am in a state of apoplexy.

• Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:23 am | Permalink
      • spindrift
        Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

That’s witchcraft. How did you do that? The access link on the DT site is still showing a pre Christmas puzzle!

• Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:31 am | Permalink

I just entered “puzzles” into their search engine!

• spindrift
            Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

If they asked then I bet it would take you and the other IT minded bloggers about 10 minutes to sort this out. What a bunch of clowns! As my Dad would say – “they couldn’t tip sh#t off a cliff without reading the instructions”!

22. spindrift
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 9:56 am | Permalink

BD – the side bar showing the recent comments seems to have gone AWOL. Or is it just me?

23. spindrift
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I’m no expert but WordPress seems to be getting a BadPress on other sites as well.

• Posted January 14, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Most plugins are provided, free of charge, by other WordPress users and you use them at your own risk.

24. julian of EC4
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

what a way to run a whelk stall! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif I suppose the news side of the business is also enjoying a rerun of Decembers news? Clearly there is more rocket science about ‘puters than we all realised in the days when we worked on and with then all day…. However, its not all bad. The sun has finally come out in Yateley and there is a good chance of a walk later.

25. spindrift
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Still can’t access the DT puzzle site. Sent 2 mails showing that I paid my subscription on 3 jan, 2 telephone calls – on hold for 2 mins each, no answer. Thanks to BD & his generosity I have access to the PDFS. Anybody else experiencing these problems or is it just me they’re persecuting for being a gobby Northerner?

26. spindrift
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Kill the budgie & give the cat a treat! I can now access the site (thanks to BD’s intercedence) – we’re having a street party and all are welcome!

27. Posted January 16, 2014 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Please add any further comments about the Telegraph Puzzles website to this post:

From today any comments about the website will be transferred to the above post.

28. spindrift
    Posted January 18, 2014 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Just solved 2 clues from another publication which i thought (IMHO) worthy of sharing:

~ he represents one and I another (7) – first letter E
    ~ it will be 8 if you don’t get a shift on (8) – first letter A

• Posted January 18, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

The first one rates as an old chestnut – I think Virgilius is among those who have used it. The second is very clever and I haven’t seen before.

Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

The second is brilliant. The first is too clever for me – will carry on ‘perservating’ – don’t disappear, please!

• Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Spindrift should have written “He represents one and I another (7)” – the capital letter is significant!

• spindrift
          Posted January 19, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Mea culpa

• Magmull
            Posted January 19, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Can’t get either of them – going quietly mad. Give us another letter or so for each – please – I’m rather ashamed of myself!

Posted January 19, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

In the first clue ‘He’ and ‘I’ are symbols.
              For the second one look at your keyboard – I thought that was brilliant.

• Magmull
                Posted January 20, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Oh thank you so much……………………Never in a thousand years would I have got the second one!

• spindrift
              Posted January 20, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

For the first clue think back to science classes and for the second Kath is spot on.

Posted January 19, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Got in now. I kept wanting to make it ‘pronoun’ but even I know that that doesn’t start with an E!

29. spindrift
    Posted January 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Slightly concerned as the hints for today’s puzzle are not on view. Everything OK BD?

Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

`I can see that he’s working on them. Perhaps he decided to enjoy some of the lovely sunshine after his subscription nightmare. All good things come to those who wait.

• spindrift
        Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Sunshine? What’s that? It’s been dark here since October!

Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Its lovely here – I have got sheets and duvet cover etc out drying in the garden.

• Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Hints are usually later on a Sunday, as BD has a lazy morning! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted January 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

And so he should!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

30. Ian F
    Posted January 26, 2014 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave,

I have just found and watched a recording of a tv programme I must have made a few years ago called “How to solve cryptic crosswords”. I found it really enjoyable and am going to copy it for a few friends and relatives who are trying to get into cryptics. The programme is based around a puzzle that Don Manley set specially for it and I thought it would be a good idea to give my friends a copy of the puzzle with a copy of the programme. Sadly though I can’t find a copy of the puzzle anywhere and, given your encyclopaedic knowledge, I wondered if you knew where I could get hold of one?

Many thanks,

Ian

• Posted January 27, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

While I still have a recording of the program, I don’t recall ever having seen the full crossword.

• Ian F
        Posted January 27, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Ok Dave, thanks anyway.

Ian

31. spindrift
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

BD re:usual suspects. a cracking idea & way beyond the call of duty. thanks for making such an effort on top of managing the site & the odd wayward blogger & solver.