Comment – Feb-May 2014

Archived Comments – Feb-May 2014

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

This page is now closed – please use the main comment page

Return to the Comment Index page

Updated 1st June 2014

1. JohnY
    Posted February 2, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Hi BD, the link to the Feb MPP via the Crosswords tab at the top of the page is pointing to the January puzzle.

• Posted February 2, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Should be OK now.

• hedgehogs
        Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I am still waiting to be re-connected to the D.Tel Crossword site. Have you any idea how many others are also in the same situation.
        I have written . . and written . . and written . . and written to the D.Tel, but all I can get back is an automatic response to say they will be in touch as soon as possible. They said – 14 days ago – that I would receive a new pass word within half an hour.

PLEASE can anybody help?????

• Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

From what I understand, it’s quite a lot – someone mentioned 1,200 people the other day

• hedgehogs
            Posted March 4, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Have you received any recent updates on how many of us are still waiting for re-connection?

Think it is a bit premature to be talking about cancelling the PDFs before all members are back on line.

2. hedgehogs
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that. At least I now know there is SOMEONE alive out there :-)

• Himself
      Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I too had waited for over 2 months. Phoning proved fruitless so used the email in contact us and within 4 days was reconnected

3. Helen
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Our 2014 New Year Resolution was to answer some of the DT cryptic clues, without finding your website we would still be on the starting blocks. Thankyou for guiding complete novices through the jungle. One of the many things we get stumped by is the myriad of different words which are used to indicate an anagram in the clue, have you ever produced a list of the main suspects which could guide us?
    Thanks to all for keeping this site alive and well with all those hints and tips, I think we’ll need it for a few more weeks!!!!

4. spindrift
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Just to cheer everybody up here’s a comment from Metcheck.com:
    Storm Ruth is actually developing as we speak across the Eastern starboard of the USA and will push quickly across the Atlantic reaching the South-west on Friday evening with gale force winds ahead of the system. The similarities with Storm Petra are striking on Saturday when once again a long fetch of severe gale force winds brings large waves and thundery showers across Western areas.
    We are currently also watching developments for next Monday as models are still getting to grips with another extremely aggressive looking area of low pressure.

So, whilst the jet stream remains locked in this position the Atlantic systems will keep on rolling in. It will stop.. but we have no clear idea when.

5. Geoff marbella
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

I seem to be OK with my subscription to the DT but I cannot print out or even find the monthly £100 prize crossword. The weekly one is there to do (got 97% must have put in a typo) but the other one? Any suggestion as to where it is.

gracias geoff marbella

Posted February 12, 2014 at 8:40 am | Permalink

It is the same puzzle – they have two draws – one once a week and the same entries are put in to another draw at the end of the month

6. Geoff marbella
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Oh dear missed the point completely – i seem to have a gift for that!

Thanks Geoff

7. DavidH
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave

I can’t get the DT cryptic today and wonder whether you might be so kind as to e-mail a copy. Very pretty please.
    Thank you and hope you aren’t too close to the flooding.
    David Hawksley

• pommers
      Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

You have mail

Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

For some reason I can’t see the comment box or comments on today’s cryptic puzzle, though I can see them on previous puzzles.

Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

It is probably because you are using Internet Explorer – Andy and I can’t see them either.

• Expat Chris
        Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks. This has never happened before. I hope it resolves itself!

• Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

It doesn’t resolve itself – but I have fixed it.

Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Expat Chris
            Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks!

9. halcyon
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know why we haven’t seen a Toughie from Petitjean for some time?

• Posted February 14, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I believe he has retired as a setter.

• halcyon
        Posted February 19, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD. What a shame. I know he wasn’t to everyone’s taste but he certainly was to mine. I ‘ll use the spare “slightly mad hat” when compling my own attempts.

10. spindrift
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

yesterday i commented to BD that we might be out of the woods as far as accessing the dt puzzle site was concerned. seems i spoke to soon. it’s bust again.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

It seems to be working now

• Catnap
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

It seems to be on the blink again. I tried accessing it both from my bookmark and direct from the DT to no avail. Just a blank screen. Incidentally, I filled in the form for an Amazon voucher weeks ago but nothing’s happened …

Another thought. Flash player has just updated. I use Firefox. Could this have anything to do with the inaccessibility?

• Deep Threat
        Posted February 21, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I’ve just tried saving the Toughie and submitting it. Save gives a ‘can’t find the server’ error, and Submit doesn’t work at all.

• Catnap
          Posted February 21, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

It is working again — for me, at any rate. I’ve just managed to print off today’s puzzles.

11. Geoff marbella
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

last few days the DT crossword site will not “remember” my login and password. Ticked the box but no joy – always worked before – anyone else got this problem?

• pommers
      Posted February 26, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Yep, same here. Perhaps it’s because we’re in Spain?

• Geoff marbella
        Posted February 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

It worked before – I may have inadvertently changed a setting on my PC but no doubt there are techies out there who can offer a tweak

Posted February 26, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

It isn’t working in the UK either – well that’s my experience

• Himself
            Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

And mine, following a restoration for the second time!

• pommers
          Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

It’s working now because I logged in this morning. It seems to remember me through the day but I bet tomorrow morning i will have to key in password etc again. That’s what happened yesterday anyway.

• Himself
            Posted February 26, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Whilst your computer is left on then all is well. When switched off and then on re-entry is the order of the day!

12. Rich Carrel
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Message for Slartibartfast on one of your crossword comment boards. I am pretty sure you were referring to Anthony ‘Tony’ Clark when you refer to Babs Clark?! He attended Rutlish School and played rugby for Old Rutlishians and was a decent Cricketer! He was my father!

Message was back in Sept 2012, just thought I would say hi!

13. Rich Carrel
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Unsure to be honest, he was born 1940 So I’d imagine 1951-1958?! Used to be John Major’s Prefect according to him?!

• Posted February 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

John Major was in the year above me.

14. Rich Carrel
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Yes that was the link, cheers Big Dave!

15. JohnY
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Hi BD,
    Love the cricket terms list. They must look like gibberish to the uninterested. I’ve not read through all of them (yet), but there is a typo under “googly”.

• Posted March 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Not sure how that happened – now sorted

16. Newminster
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Telegraph has announced this morning that it will discontinue the pdf downloads as from Mar 18.
    I emailed them yesterday suggesting they might like to keep these going as an alternative to the regular web pages. It’s been a great improvement as far as we are concerned being ex-pats without access to the print edition (and to be honest not very interested in their on-line competitions) because it gives us Cryptic and Quick Crosswords and the previous day’s solutions on a single sheet and total flexibility for the puzzle page.
    Instead of having to print off each puzzle separately it’s possible to pick the ones you want and print off that section of the page.
    I don’t know whether anyone else feels the same but if so I don’t see any reason not to email the DT and say so.

Cheers

17. DavidH
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I finally got to speak to someone on the number your DT crossword link gives and she gave me a new password which may be one for everybody : 1234password. This worked and I thanked her. BUT I cannot print anything at all so have to go back to the link page crossword which I can print.
    Is anyone else able to get to the Cryptic on the screen but then not be able to print?
    I can print anything else from any site just not the DT.
    Thanks
    David

18. hedgehogs
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Don’t suppose anyone has Saturdays PDF file please. For one of us that is still waiting for re-connection.

• Posted March 8, 2014 at 8:29 am | Permalink

You’ve got mail.

• ranger
        Posted March 8, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Me too please?

Posted March 8, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I received my temporary new password a couple of days ago, followed all the steps in the e-mail, created a new password, checked the ‘remember me’ box, and obeyed the suggestion to just close the window rather than log out so that I don’t have to re-enter my details each time. Trouble is, it doesn’t remember me! I have to log on every time I access the site. No difficulty printing, though.

• Himself
      Posted March 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Snap.
      Emailed to let them know. Heard nothing!

Posted March 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Help! Can’t see the comment box or comments on today’s Toughie.

• Posted March 12, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Try it now – there was some junk code at the end of the post. Some browsers can cope with it, others, probably including yours, can’t.

• Expat Chris
        Posted March 12, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks!

Posted March 19, 2014 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Another request to the telegraph for a password, and still nothing back…
    It appears they have withdrawn the availability of the puzzles to all and sundry, as of yesterday.
    Does anyone have a pdf of the cryptic and/or toughie please?

Posted March 19, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

On their way.

• Jezza
        Posted March 19, 2014 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Many thanks.

22. palookaville
    Posted March 29, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink
      Posted March 29, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Your comment needed moderation because you’ve moved your alias around a bit. Both variations should work from now on.

23. Geoff marbella
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Is it possible to save the crossword as a .PDF file I can email to myself? Printer I use is off so need to put it on a pen drive to print on an alternate printer.

Gracias

• Posted March 31, 2014 at 7:17 am | Permalink

i use a freeware program called PrimoPDF. This sets up a virtual printer which outputs a pdf file.

• spindrift
        Posted March 31, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

BD – just for information:
        I downloaded this (or I think I did!) and it installed a malware called “mysearchdial” which took over Chrome. It was a helluva job to get rid of it.

• Posted March 31, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I’ve been using it for about 10 years or more. I always download from CNET and am careful to exclude any “bonus” programs/toolbars that are offered.

24. Geoff marbella
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Thanks for that will get it and try

Geoff Marbella (right now Geoff Hong Kong and the weather is seriously wet!)

• Expat Chris
      Posted March 31, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

At a pinch, you can take a screen shot of the page which will give you a word doc.

Posted April 4, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Sorry to be a bother again. I can’t see the comment box on the Toughie.

• Posted April 4, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

It’s there. It would help if you say which browser and platform you are using.

• Expat Chris
        Posted April 4, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Many thanks. I use IE which may be the problem. Time to download Chrome.

• Posted April 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I’ve just checked it out using IE11 on Windows 8.1 and it’s OK.

Posted April 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I think the problem was that the whole post was on the front page initially before you put in the ‘read more’ and there’s no comment facility on that page.

• Expat Chris
        Posted April 5, 2014 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Thank you both. I use windows 7 and I get busy and tend to ignore IE upgrades. Like many people, I’m not au fait with the back end. and don’t consider the repercussions.

• Posted April 5, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Try to switch to anything other than the dreaded IE. Opera is a nice browser which is often faster than its competitors.

26. Tony Douglas
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Until the debacle with the Telegraph puzzles web site last year, I used the excellent Crux app on my iPad to do the crossword. However, even though I can now access the puzzles web site again, Crux will no longer work. Crux are blaming the Telegraph & the Telegraph don’t know anything about it.
    Does anyone else use Crux & have similar difficulties?
    Tony

27. Catnap
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I give up! Have been unable to get today’s (Sunday’s) Virgilius from the Telegraph puzzles website. My subscription was renewed a couple of months back and everything seems to have been working seamlessly. Until now, that is, when I am told my subscription has expired or been cancelled. I am loathe to enter and change account details in case of hacking. Please may I beg some kind person to send me a pdf of the Cryptic (and a pdf of the Quickie, if possible, for Mr Catnap)? Mega thanks.

• Posted April 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

You’ve got mail.

• Catnap
        Posted April 20, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

That is most kind of you, Big Dave. Much appreciated. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

28. DavidH
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Big D, I have the same problem as Catnap today Monday 21st with the Cryptic.. May I call upon your generosity once again please?
    Thanking you in advance.
    David

Posted April 21, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

On its way.

29. Tony Douglas
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, here we go again. I also have the same problem as Catnap and David. Would anyone be so kind and send me a pdf of today’s cryptic, please?
    Tony

Posted April 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

On the way.

30. spindrift
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

BD – the access to the site seems to be taking a long time. I have had no problems with other sites – just this. FYI I use Chrome. Is the problem at my end do you think?

• Posted April 28, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

It’s definitely at this end. It looks like one of the addons is incompatible with the recent WordPress upgrade, but which one? That is the question.

31. Prolixic
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Those who use Crux to access crosswords on mobile devices will be pleased to hear that the latest update to the app has resolved the log-in issues with Telegraph Puzzles and you can now download and sovle the back page, Toughie, quick and general knowledge crosswords once more.

• Tony Douglas
      Posted May 31, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Hallelujah! It’s only taken seven months for the The Telegraph to get back to where it was last November. I’m not sure what improvements they have made along the way, but it looks the same to me. At last Crux now works again with The Telegraph. Thanks to all concerned and thanks to Prolixic for being the bearer of the good news.
      Tony