MPP – 062

Monthly Prize Puzzle (July 2017)

A Puzzle by Alchemi

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (15th July 2017).

The competition is now closed

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

Please read the instructions carefully.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then do not provide any help for other solvers or mention any detail about the puzzle, especially references to individual clues, until after the closing date.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted July 1, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well I have solved the puzzle after a considerable struggle but despite a thorough search have still not been able to find the question. Looks like it will have to be a task for the morning. Thanks for the challenge Alchemi. I WILL get there!
    PS. Congratulations on the rugby.

• Dutch
      Posted July 1, 2017 at 4:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

The instructions could not have been clearer – two columns and a row

• KiwiColin
      Posted July 1, 2017 at 9:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I had one letter wrong that was preventing me seeing the Nina. Have now got it sorted. Phew!

2. stanXYZ
    Posted July 1, 2017 at 2:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

I found the question without cheating but needed “help” to get the answer.

Thanks to Alchemi !

• Alchemi
      Posted July 1, 2017 at 3:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

I very much doubt anyone will know the answer without looking it up. I certainly didn’t.

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted July 1, 2017 at 5:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Am I right in thinking *********?

• Tonto McTavish
          Posted July 1, 2017 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry, just remembered the rules, hope I didn’t give anything away.

• Posted July 1, 2017 at 7:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

… and you are not right anyway.

• Tonto McTavish
            Posted July 1, 2017 at 7:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks, and apologies again.

3. Dutch
    Posted July 1, 2017 at 4:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks alchemi

Solved and the Nina helped me get the last few, eg ***. Bit of an effort, I must admit.

Cheers

• Posted July 1, 2017 at 7:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Even an innocuous-looking comment like this does give away where the Nina can be found, so please observe the instructions.

4. jane
    Posted July 1, 2017 at 10:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Dear goodness, Alchemi, you didn’t make that easy!

5. Orphan Annie
    Posted July 2, 2017 at 9:17 am | Permalink | Reply

How does the word P A N I C feel? I know it says prize crossword and should be challenging but when you cannot spot even one answer after numerous readiness it is sad.

Posted July 2, 2017 at 9:43 am | Permalink | Reply

I’d agree with you that it is a tricky one. I had a go so that I could suggest ways into the puzzle for you.

After you’ve put it down for an hour or so, come back and see.

Good luck

• Ora Meringue
      Posted July 2, 2017 at 8:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t know if I’m allowed to say this, but I thought *** was slightly easier than the rest.

• Posted July 2, 2017 at 10:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

No you can’t. Please resist the temptation to give any help at all.

Posted July 2, 2017 at 1:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

This was certainly a stiff challenge but very enjoyable. As it happens I did know the answer without having to look it up but I can’t explain how I knew without being censored! There were a couple of new words for me and I had two answers that I couldn’t fully parse. Many thanks, Alchemi.

• jane
      Posted July 2, 2017 at 1:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

You’re one up on me, RD, I only realised that I already knew the answer AFTER I’d looked it up!

7. Ora Meringue
    Posted July 2, 2017 at 8:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, that was a tough one!

I certainly had to look up the answer.

Thanks, Alchemi.