Hints and tips by ShropshireLad

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

[Sorry for the delay, but ShropshireLad’s review took over an hour to arrive – probably because of problems with my laptop. BD]

Good Morning everyone. Today’s puzzle is exactly what you would expect from Jay – no too hard and fun to complete. The one clue that I was scratching my head at was 5 down as I can’t remember seeing a clue of similar construction.

As usual, the definitions are underlined to give you a leg up and hopefully my hints will help you complete the puzzle. If all else fails, then the answer can be revealed if you click on the grey ‘Click Here!’ box.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Our president’s first to get in newly-developed softer bed (4-6)
FOUR-POSTER: This is an anagram (newly-developed) of SOFTER that contains the ‘our’ from the clue followed by the leading letter of President (president’s first).

6a    Clear duck enclosure (4)
OPEN: Start with how a zero score in cricket would be shown (duck) followed by the type of enclosure that you would possibly find a pig in. No, it’s not a sty.

9a    Take court action before defence’s case becomes material (5)
SUEDE: Take a 3-letter synonym of what you would be doing if you were to ‘take court action’ and add the first and last letter (case) of ‘defence’

10a    People who chase English partygoers? (9)
ENGRAVERS: Start with the 3-letter abbreviation for ‘English’ followed by a synonym for ‘partygoers’.

12a    Second snare set after bear gets part of bag (8,5)
SHOULDER STRAP: The abbreviation for ‘second’ and a synonym for ‘snare’ follows (set after) how you ‘bear’ the burden.

14a    European sailor welcomes bearing from this guide (4,4)
POLE STAR: Start with the name of a European followed by a common 3-letter word used in crosswords for ‘sailor’ and that then contains (welcomes) the abbreviation for a bearing on a compass.

15a    Key needed with complete part of drainage system (6)
GUTTER: The ‘key’ required is a musical key followed by (needed with) a 5-letter synonym for ‘complete’.

17a    Energy shown by two sons after playground break (6)
RECESS: The single-letter abbreviation for ‘energy’ and the abbreviation for ‘son’ twice (sons)follows (after) a 3-letter synonym for a playground.

19a    Stick out for diamonds in genuine setting (8)
PROTRUDE: Start with a 3-letter synonym relating to ‘for’ and then take the standard abbreviation of ‘diamonds’ and place it in a synonym for ‘genuine’.

21a    Sought approval from copper — then four arrived drunk! (7,6)
CURRIED FAVOUR: The ‘copper’ here is not PC Plod – it is the abbreviation for the element, followed by an anagram (drunk) of FOUR ARRIVED.

24a    Next to a feature of a right-angled triangle (9)
ALONGSIDE: How the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle could be described if it were split 1,4,4.

25a    Turn back in regret for likeable villain (5)
ROGUE: Take a term for ‘turn’, reverse it (back) and place it in a 3-letter synonym for ‘regret’.

26a    Regularly repressed language (4)
ERSE: The language required for the answer appears using alternate letters (regularly) of ‘repressed’.

27a    View American college brochure (10)
PROSPECTUS: Take a synonym for ‘view’ and follow it with the 2-letter abbreviation commonly used for ‘American’.

1d    Quick meal with no break (4)
FAST: Just as it says on the tin – the first meal of the day minus ‘break’.

2d    Implement sort of strength mostly in support of university (7)
UTENSIL: The sort of strength required here is normally used to describe how strong steel is – without its last letter (mostly). That is then preceded by the abbreviation for ‘university’ (in support of – in a down clue).

3d    Winning, before bands break into song (13)
PREPOSSESSING: Start with a 3-letter synonym for ‘before’ followed by a word used to describe groups of people that a Wild West lawman would gather to catch the bad guys. That is then followed by what you would do if you broke into song.

4d    Lose cargo, large amount (8)
SHEDLOAD: 2 synonyms, one for ‘lose’ followed by one for ‘cargo’.

5d    Symbol of America with links to either part of Goldeneye (5)
Newspaper version: Symbol of America that could divide and occupy Goldeneye
EAGLE: The answer to the clue is a word that could be used at the end of ‘golden’ and before ‘eye’. I much prefer the on line version of the clue.

7d    Clown leaving rubbish under jetty (7)
PIERROT: Take a 3-letter synonym for ‘rubbish’ followed by (under – in a down clue) another term for a jetty.

8d    Inquisitive type runs to support Korean spy in trouble (4,6)
NOSY PARKER: An anagram (in trouble) of KOREAN SPY is followed by (to support – in a down clue) the abbreviation for ‘runs’.

11d    Set about studies as part of military training (7,6)
ASSAULT COURSE: The ‘set about’ here is a synonym of a violent act followed by a set of classes (studies).

13d    Recognise increase in worth (10)
APPRECIATE: A double definition.

16d    Waves from mugs drinking last of beer (8)
BREAKERS: Start with cup normally associated with babies that contains (drinking) the final letter (last) of ‘beer’.

18d    Asking questions, seeing scoundrels covering evidence of debt (7)
CURIOUS: A 3-letter term for ‘evidence of debt’ is contained in (covering) a 4-letter synonym for ‘scoundrels’.

20d    Leading Conservative may be standing (7)
UPRIGHT: Start with a synonym for ‘leading’ followed by how a Conservative’s political bias is viewed.

22d    Chauffeur ignoring volume for this appliance (5)
DRIER: Remove the abbreviation for ‘volume’ from a what a chauffeur is.

23d    Releases, lacking right charges (4)
FEES: Take a 5-letter synonym for ‘releases’ and remove (lacking) the abbreviation for ‘right’

Well that’s me done for the day – I have enjoyed filling in for the 2K’s these last few weeks and hope that I’ve been of some assistance to you. Normal service will be resumed next week when they return from their holiday.

The Quick Crossword pun: ghetto+near+fool=get an earful

1. Senf
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable, completed at a fast gallop with assistance from a sprinkling of oldies but goodies/recent repeats – */****.

Not overly impressed by 4d, but it’s in the BRB so hey-ho.

Candidates for favourite – 10a, 15a, and 24a – and the winner is 24a for its nautical connotation.

Thanks to Jay and the Lad for another high quality blog – I still think the 2 Kiwis’ ‘hold’ on the Wednesday blog might be under threat.

• Weekendwanda
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Unusual but following on from Mr K and the demographics – perhaps a word for the younger solvers. I do get fed up with some of the old words, unless indicated to be a such, for example Plaintiff for a person who makes a claim in Court proceedings.

• Tstrummer
        Posted June 22, 2017 at 12:38 am | Permalink | Reply

These are often words (like plaintiff) that many of us encounter every day and so I would argue that they are current and so fair game for setters.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

2.5*/5*. A very nice mix of clues in terms of difficulty all with excellent surfaces providing superbly enjoyable entertainment from start to finish.

I don’t know if Silvanus’ repetition radar will have bleeped due to the recurrence of “support” but, in mitigation, in one case it is “in support of” (i.e. a supporter) and in the other it is ”to support” (i.e. a “supportee”). Before Jose and others object, [I think] I have made up that word! :wink:

Sometimes I complain about charades, but when I do my objection is either because the clue is verbose or because the surface is convoluted or both. Today Jay provides us with the beautiful 3d – a perfect charade. I also liked 27a very much.

Many thanks to Jay and to SL.

• Jose
      Posted June 22, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink | Reply

Me, “object”? How very dare you! :-)

3. Michael
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable, finished last night before lights out, some very nice ‘charades’!

My Weather Station is showing 31.9 degrees in my back garden, I’ve got some decorating to do but it’s just too hot!

4. RayS
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nothing to unnerve the horses today. An enjoyable romp. 1*/3.5*. 31 degrees here at the moment. I actually rather liked 4d and will mark it as my favourite. Also 3d, 24a, and 27a scored highly. 5d was a cleverly constructed clue albeit easily solved.

5. omar
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

** for difficulty for me, but v enjoyable – I didn’t see a problem with 4d although a slightly ruder version is today far more current (regrettably?)…..24a was my last in and my favourite…

• Senf
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

I did think about the ruder version for 4d, fortunately it was quickly eliminated by the checker from 10a.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 7:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t know the rude version – I could probably guess but I’ve never heard it.

6. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Enjoyable but a little like the weather a bit sticky. Couldn’t really understand 5d in the newspaper. I am still intrigued how different clues emerge. Is it because the electronic version is an “improvement” on the hard copy?
    LOI and COTD for me was 10a. Coincidentally I am due a visit toours to get the trophies from Sunday inscribed.
    Thanks to Jay and SL. Your hints are always appreciated. Hope it has been as rewarding for you.

7. Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

I was a bit slow due to the weather and distractedness, but thought this another good one from Jay. Thanks to him and to ShropshireLad.

Now to brave the heat and head to London, where a certain flight will be touching down in less than an hour. :yahoo:

8. Beaver
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another */*** for me today.
    As a charade fan I concur with RD that 3d was one for the purist, and I thought there were many other excellent clues ,liked 10a and 27a for their surfaces and 2d for its originality.
    Thanks all.

9. Hoofityoudonkey
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 12:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Completed ok on a beautiful Minorca morning, I had no idea what 5d was all about, so thanks for the explanation.
    Fav was 1d. Last in was 2d, great misdirection that sold me down the river.
    Thanks SL and Jay, home tomorrow.
    As I finished this very early (about 6 am), so I thought i would look at the Toughie, big mistake!

10. jane
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

With the possible exception of 5d which I thought was a bit ‘iffy’ from the newspaper clue, I found this to be an extremely satisfying solve – not an obscurity or questionable synonym in sight.

Several contenders for the top spot including 10,24&27a plus 3d and – with apologies to Senf – 4d.

Thanks to Jay for a great start to another very warm day and to SL for completing the tour of duty during the 2Ks absence. Whilst I would seriously doubt that their Wednesday slot is ever in danger of being hijacked by anyone else, I’ve no doubt they will be pleased to see the proof that there is a very able-bodied seadog who can step up to keep a firm hand on the tiller whilst they enjoy shore leave!

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Jane – I agree wholeheartedly with you about the 2K’s Wednesday blog spot and I certainly wouldn’t like to be in competition with them. I have no desire to get up at ‘stupid o’clock’ to solve, review and post on the site. :)

I also thank you for missing out the word ‘old’ between ‘able – bodied’ & ‘seadog’. You are my new BFF

• Miffypops
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

• jane
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

You just knew how much I’d enjoy that, didn’t you!
        Is there a level above sainthood? If so, I’m nominating St. Sharon right now.

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi MP-Could you please remind me of post 25 DT28457.

• jane
          Posted June 21, 2017 at 5:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Tonto,
          If you look at the right-hand column of this blog, there is an item headed ‘Recent Posts’. DT28457 is still showing there – just click on it and then scroll down to the comment in question.

• Tonto McTavish
            Posted June 21, 2017 at 5:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Jane – it was Mp’s 12.45 am comment I was mindful of.

• jane
              Posted June 21, 2017 at 6:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah – there is something you need to appreciate about this site, Tonto. There are two sets of rules – one is BD’s (and most other people’s) rules, the other is MP’s rules. The first rule of MP is that there are no rules. Don’t worry, you’ll learn to live with it!

• Tonto McTavish
                Posted June 21, 2017 at 6:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Don’t do as I do- do as I say?

• Miffypops
                  Posted June 21, 2017 at 9:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like I said I don’t like it when others post music clips on my blogs.

• Tonto McTavish
                    Posted June 21, 2017 at 9:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ray T stretches Synonyms. Tom Waits Shore Leave, music?

• Miffypops
                      Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Tom Waits. Neil Young. Bob Dylan. Van Morrison. Music to the Nth degree. Some people know how to criticise. Some people know how to listen. I prefer the listening I’m glad I learnt how to do so.

• ShropshireLad
                    Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do I care? Not one jot :)

• Tonto McTavish
                      Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Hi MP,-No point fishing if you don’t expect a bite. Nelson Muntz is my hero.

• Tonto McTavish
                      Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Could you remind me which of MP’s favourites did Agadoo.

• Tstrummer
        Posted June 22, 2017 at 12:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for the TW. Appreciated on this hot sofa. Best live act I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a few

• Senf
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lady Jane, no need to apologise, as is said across the English Channel – chacun à ses goûts.

11. PLR
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Found this a bit more of a challenge than the other correspondents and my rating is more in keeping with RD’s than Senf’s. 10a, 12a, 21a, 24a and 3d were all great clues. Thanks to the setter and SL.

12. silvanus
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another superb puzzle from Jay, for some reason I can’t recall having previously encountered “chase” in today’s less usual guise, so one to log for future reference.

RD is correct (as always!), my repetition radar did give a little bleep with the two instances of “support”, but such was the quality of the puzzle, for once I wasn’t going to let that detract from the overall enjoyment.

Two clues stood out for me, 4d and 8d. I agree with Jim (a.k.a. the able-bodied seadog!) that the online version of 5d is definitely superior to the paper version.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and to SL.

13. Angellov
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too demanding but lots of fun – nice one Jay – thank you. Thanks also to SL for being on hand in case of need. Several goodies vying for Fav spot including 10a, 12a, 24a and 11d. Like the surface of 3d but not sure “winning” is appropriate; winsome possibly. 😅phew!

• Angellov
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just twigged the Quickie pun – tee hee 🙂

14. Martin Bartlett
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Could’nt get SOHCAHTOA out of my head for 24 but otherwise no problems. The late Mrs B. would be proud of me as trying it daily on my own for nearly 4 years has almost brought me up to her standard with this blog. Thanks.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Martin – what a lovely thing to say – thank you.

15. Gwizz
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

A very pleasant challenge from Jay which was over almost too quickly. Nothing to disturb the horses and remarkably no sweat is broken. 21a was my fave clue. 2/4* overall.
    Thanks to Jay, and to SL for his review and for stepping in to the breech these last few weeks.

16. mcmillibar
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 1:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi All… **/*** from me today. I enjoyed this but tried at least three different solving locations in house and garden to try to find somewhere cool enough. I did consider taking all the shelves out of the fridge and climbing in but that would have been a very temporary solution. It seems to me that 4d is the sort of clue our Millennials would come up with were they to become setters. Ugh! Next it will be words ‘gobsmacked’ etc. Double Ugh!
    I liked 9a best. Thanks to Jay and SL.

• Senf
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

An on-line search suggests that 4d originated in the 1990s; perhaps it was developed as a ‘cleaner’ version of the rude version which apparently dates back to the 1960s.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Jay and to Shropshire Lad for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle as usual from Jay. Nothing too difficult, although I had quite a bit of head scratching before I finally solved 10a, which was last in. Favourite was 24a. Was 2*/3* for me. Much too warm at the moment, that’ll teach me to moan when it was cool and grey!

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

I had a mate who went to work in Phoenix, where, during summer the temperature is never < 100°, he said to me "never, ever complain about the English weather again"

• Weekendwanda
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Once went to Phoenix early April. We all plunged into the pool to cool off upon arrival. Natives thought we were mad but certainly more than hot enough for us

• RayS
          Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

It was >100 when I was there a few years ago – but it was a very dry heat, so I found it more bearable than I expected. A pool and a/c is essential though!

• Senf
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very topical. A ‘major’ news item on this side of the pond today – yesterday flights were being cancelled in Phoenix when the temperature reached 48 deg C. But as RayS says, it was a dry heat.

• jane
          Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

It was newsworthy here as well, Senf. Favourite (and only) son-in-law told me about it yesterday when I rang to check on the condition of his mum-to-be wife.

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 4:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

We’ve been going to Phoenix / Scottsdale for over 10 years now. Normally in September. We were there late last June when it was over 110 every day for 10 days. It proved too much for two oldies like us. The annual pilgrimmage to the Grand Canyon was a blessed relief. At those temperatures it’s bl***y hot, dry heat or not. Add blazing sunshine & you could fry eggs on the car bonnet. Would add umbrella to list of essentials.

18. Weekendwanda
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Brilliant I thought. Started and finished on the train this morning – before the blog was up. 5d exceptional I thought. Yes – different – but none the worse for that. Do not have paper in front of me but ticked a number as outstanding. Last in was 3d for which I needed all the checking letter. I did not get round to yesterday’ but found Monday’ very difficult for a Rufus. Could not get the long words.

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

I couldn’t get the short words either, Wanda!!

19. JonP
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 2:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Straightforward and enjoyable as ever from Jay.

Thanks to SL and Jay */****

20. Mary Mary
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

**/*** for me today and can someone please explain the ramifications of 5d as I still can’t understand the clue?
    Needed my frazzled wits about me on this humid day but enjoyed the occasional challenge eg 12a and 7d. Artfully misleading clues are fun !
    Many thanks to setter and hinter !

• RayS
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Symbol of USA=eagle. Separate goldeneye in to golden and eye insert golden and you get golden eagle and eagle eye.

• RayS
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Whoops – I think ‘ve blundered by putting the actual answer in – apologies.

• jane
          Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Don’t worry, Ray – although giving an answer is a bit frowned upon until later in the day, BD only wields the red card on prize puzzle days. Having said that, you do still need to be wary of CS……………!

• RayS
            Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Jane. Maybe we can put it down to the heat – or more likely I was too eager to show off – pride before a fall and all that.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 7:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

No – you don’t need to worry about CS – she’s off in Ireland celebrating her grandson’s fourth birthday.
            Bet she now pops in – oh dear – I’ll be in trouble, just for a change.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 11:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

See – what did I say? Oh dear! Nice to know that she’s still keeping an eye on us though.

• Senf
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mary Mary – the 5d answer can be put after golden and before eye to make meaningful phrases thus linking to either part of Goldeneye.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Rushing to go to PT, so I’ll read the comments later.
    Another good ‘un from Jay, though I did get hung up, again, with 4d. I don’t know why I can’t remember that Britspeak, I’m getting pretty good at remembering most! I did eventually dig it out of the deepest recesses of my memory.
    Fave was 21a, followed closely by 10a.
    Thanks to Jay and to S’Lad for another stellar blog!

22. Amy Field
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Loved 24 a – in the middle of my Maths GCSE marking – what fun

Thanks again

23. Young Salopian
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

24a definitely my favourite in this immensely enjoyable and fun to complete crossword. It wasn’t particularly difficult, but what it lacked in head-scratching it more than made up for in pleasure and amusement.

Thanks to Jay for a wonderfully diverting puzzle and to my fellow Salopian for a fine review. 2*/4*.

24. Graham Wall
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thoroughly enjoyed Wednesday offering which was not too difficult but high on the entertainment scale. My rating is 2/4 Goldeneye thingy was perplexing for a while but all dropped into place eventually. Thanks to SL for his valued contribution.

25. BusyLizzie
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Living in the US, I bunged in the answer for 4d without really understanding the clue, thankfully it was right. Head cold is impeding thinking processes rights now. Plus preoccupied with how to give elderly cat 7 pills a day for high blood pressure, anyone got any tips?

Posted June 21, 2017 at 8:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely – not too difficult, in fact not difficult at all apart from a couple which caused trouble for me.
    I’d give it much more than 3* for enjoyment but then I always love Jays’s Wednesday crosswords.
    Very few anagrams unless the extreme heat has affected my ability to count which is, of course, possible.
    Please could someone tell me how I had trouble sorting out why 1d was what it had to be – how dim was that?
    5d was a bit of a problem so I needed SL’s very excellent hint for that.
    I agree with Senf about 4d – I didn’t like it – it’s such an overused expression that I’m fed-up with it and I’d never heard of the alternative anyway.
    Too many good clues to pick a favourite so maybe 12a.
    Thanks to Jay and to SL for standing in so admirably for the 2K’s – they must be home soonish.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 8:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

PS – Other stuff to worry about now so the MIcawber Toughie will keep me occupied for a while.

• ShropshireLad
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 8:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

I see that Gazza has given it a 2** rating for difficulty – I think I’d add another * :)

• Tonto McTavish
          Posted June 21, 2017 at 9:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

I agree, thankyou SL and setter.

27. Jon_S
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 9:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Middling difficulty here, with 13d and 24ac needing some thought, though I suspect looking back it must have been the heat, because neither were that tricky in retrospect. Enjoyable through and through.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 9:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good morning all. We’re back home again!. Got here last evening in time to print out the day’s puzzles to get back into the habit. We arrived home utterly exhausted as on our last day in Darwin we had spent the day at a wildlife park before leaving our rental car at the airport and waiting hours and hours for our 1.45 am flight to Sydney en route to NZ. Bed felt really good last night when we eventually made it home. Had an absolutely marvelous time so will drip feed more details later. It is hard to get back to mid-winter temperatures though after the tropics.
    Enjoyed the puzzle as we always do from Jay and thanks SL for so capably keeping the seat warm for us.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you both, it’s been a pleasure standing in for you and I hope you had a good holiday. :)

• Miffypops
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

It has been a pleasure reading your blogs SL. I am looking forward to reading about the 2Ks trip and how they avoided getting eaten alive by giant crocodiles

Posted June 21, 2017 at 11:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good to know that you’re home safely. As you can tell from MP’s comment I did pass on a few little bits of information from your email.
      Sleep well. :smile:

29. Owdman
    Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

After sailing through the last few days I ground to a halt today. I’m afraid I never seem to be on Jay’s wavelength! :(

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 21, 2017 at 10:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

That’s a shame Owdman, as I think he’s one of the fairest setters on the weekday back pager circuit. Please do persevere :)

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted June 21, 2017 at 11:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Only just realised you were a Submariner, thank you very very much.

30. Tstrummer
    Posted June 22, 2017 at 1:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Top top stuff from Jay again. Lots of subtle misdirections and elegant surfaces – only spoilt by the ham-fisted paper version of 5d, which was just a bung-in for me until I read the online version above. I do recall a 10a chaser some time ago, but what a good fun clue, so thanks Jay and, especially, to SL for sterling and much-appreciated work. 2*/4*

31. Robin Newman