MPP – 060

Monthly Prize Puzzle (May 2017)

A Puzzle by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (20th May 2017).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

Please read the instructions carefully.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then do not mention any detail about the puzzle, especially references to individual clues, until after the closing date.

1. Hasslethymi
    Posted May 6, 2017 at 9:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Brilliant puzzle, Prolixic. Kept me royally entertained!

Reminded me of the joy of reading ‘Ella Minnow Pea’ by Mark Dunn for the first time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Minnow_Pea

“Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs!”

Well worth a read for those who haven’t come across it.

2. jane
    Posted May 6, 2017 at 12:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

So – it had nothing to do with the quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog!
    Very much enjoyed this one, Prolixic, thank you. I also learned one new word, a new definition and the fact that there are some words I have to really concentrate on in order to get the spelling correct!

3. stanXYZ
    Posted May 6, 2017 at 5:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think I have the correct five solutions but (as Eric Morecambe once said) “not necessarily in the right order” to make a “coherent” sentence.

Thanks to Prolixic.!

4. silvanus
    Posted May 6, 2017 at 5:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Excellent fun, thank you very much Prolixic.

Posted May 7, 2017 at 10:17 am | Permalink | Reply

Have been away so late getting on to this one.
    Certainly a significant challenge and huge fun.
    Thanks Prolixic

6. Rahmat Ali
    Posted May 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have just sent my entry and set my mind free.
    Have never come across such a sentence even while learning typewriting years ago.
    Superb puzzle; excellently done. Thanks to Prolixic for the fun.

Posted May 7, 2017 at 11:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Prolixic for this wonderful exercise in style.
    Noticed something else but as it’s a prize….

Posted May 8, 2017 at 9:50 am | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks Prolixic for a most enjoyable challenge with the NE putting up the biggest fight. I’ve still got three answers which I can’t fully parse but that’s about par for me with a Prolixic puzzle.

9. Senf
    Posted May 9, 2017 at 8:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

A very good cranial work. Five words, forty letters, put together in a sentence – coherent, maybe, time will tell.

Thanks to Prolixic.

10. Catnap
    Posted May 14, 2017 at 4:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry to be bothersome. I have just tried to send in my answer but the ‘captcha’ code doesn’t appear. I tried to send anyway, but of course it failed to go. Is there a problem somewhere or am I doing something incorrectly?

• Catnap
      Posted May 15, 2017 at 10:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Postscript: Thank you very much, I have now been able to submit my answer. I think the problem lies with my Windows 10 computer. Am using my old laptop and the ‘captcha’ code was there.

11. Catnap
    Posted May 15, 2017 at 11:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Clever, inventive, and mega enjoyable! Very big thanks to Prolixic for a super puzzle. It’s kept me entertained for ages!
    I have five clues with forty letters making up a coherent sentence. I’ll be delighted if it’s correct. We shall see…