Sloggers and Betters XIII

Sloggers and Betters XIII

What? The 13th annual “Sloggers and Betters” gathering for crossword setters and blog contributors and readers will take place in London, following on, as in previous years, from the annual lunch for Times setters.  The George no longer take reservations, but start by looking in the Parliament bar (first door on the right) – fellow cruciverbalists are not hard to find.

When? 2:00pm onwards on Tuesday 16th May 2017.

Where?

London – meeting at the George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

The George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

And later? Anyone still standing will be heading towards a nearby restaurant.

Who? Anyone who is interested.

Why? It is hoped that most of the Times setters and several of the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and FT setters will put in an appearance. There should also be a cross-section of bloggers and readers from this site, Times for the Times and Fifteensquared. This is your chance to meet us!

How? You can just turn up on the day, but feel free to indicate your intentions by leaving a comment.

If you’ve never been before, these are very friendly functions and you have the opportunity to meet other like-minded people.

1. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted April 4, 2017 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I will have to arrange my life differently. Last time it was a meeting in Orlando, this time a holiday in California!

Posted April 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Don’t put anything in your diary for 14 October apart from the S&B

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted May 13, 2017 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

CS,
        Just re-visited.
        14th October?

Posted May 13, 2017 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Times Championship was originally planned for 14 October but will now be on 4 November

• Hoofityoudonkey
            Posted May 13, 2017 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Oh well, I will have to miss it as I am busy that day lol

• LabradorsruleOK
            Posted May 15, 2017 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Thanks CS. Pardon my ignorance but is there a get-together, for lesser-lights like me to coincide with the event? Clearly you and others will be concentrating on the main event.
            Can”t imagine how difficult it must be to get ready to take part.
            Good luck to all who are brave enough to be put through the mangle.

Posted May 15, 2017 at 7:22 am | Permalink

There is indeed a gathering for all at the George, hence my suggestion that people put the date in their diary

2. Tstrummer
    Posted April 5, 2017 at 12:56 am | Permalink

I’ll pop in for a bit before work for a tomato juice. Sigh

3. Posted April 9, 2017 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’m to be found at all of these unless otherwise stated. (And likely to be stated loudly with many accompanying :cry: emoticons.)

So yes, you can expect to see me there, as well as in Nottingham the previous weekend …

… and should you wish to get some practice in (any excuse!) there’s a gathering happening at the same place this Wednesday the 12th. Some Timesy people will be there (but don’t let that put you off! ;) ) and one or two Indy setters too, if my information is correct. A friendly bunch in any case.

Posted May 14, 2017 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that I’m going to get to London on 16th May – husband and his next brother down have made plans that probably make it impossible. I just love it when no-one thinks I need to be told, let alone asked, if something fits in with me! If there was a ‘little face’ that looks like someone growling I’d do it here but I’ll just have to make do with a :sad:

5. Beet
    Posted May 16, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I’ll be popping in after work – looking forward to it.