ST 2892 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2892 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Senf

Good Sunday morning from Winnipeg.  Springtime is getting going (sort of), chilly mornings, but approaching positive double digit high temperatures.

Mr Robert Zimmerman’s alter ego is appearing here in July.  The venue is a (ice) hockey arena (that is multi-purposed for extra revenue) but, given that ticket prices range from the Canadian equivalent of £90 (up in the ‘gods’ (a.k.a. the ‘nosebleed’ section)) to £450 (sitting on the (arena) floor), and there is no double billing with Enya, I think I will pass.

Virgilius has provided us with another very typical and very enjoyable Sunday puzzle, although he seems to have followed the recent trend of a ‘clue count’ that is on the low side (28 total today).

My favourite is 27a.

Don’t forget to follow BD’s instructions in red at the bottom of the hints!

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, a number of the more difficult clues have been selected and hints provided for them.

Some hints follow:

1a Had a get-together in spacecraft cut short (6)
Double definition, the result of a ‘meet up’ between two spacecraft or the procedure on a dog’s tail.

4a Number of staff available, holding captured enemy in half-hearted way (8)
The three letter abbreviation for captured enemy inside a synonym for way with one of the middle letters removed (half-hearted).

11a In some respect, a clever display (9)
The first of a couple of lurkers inside (in some) the third to fifth words of the clue.

13a Traveller’s guide eventually abridged (5)
The concatenation of a synonymic two word phrase for eventually with the last letter removed (abridged) gives a guide named after a Greek god.

14a Dig up seed scattered around end of plot that’s detached (13)
A synonym for dig up (from a grave), followed by an anagram (scattered) of SEED containing (around) the last letter of ploT.

23a Turn aside, having frantically tried to break up fire (9)
A synonym for fire (from employment) containing (to break up) an anagram (frantically) of TRIED.

25a In East Germany, finally abandoned fairness (6)
The single letter for East and the last letter (finally) of Germany containing (in) a synonym for abandoned.

27a First edition taken to cleaners (6)
A synonym for first and the abbreviation form of edition gives a synonym for well beaten.

1d Money equally divided by six wanting to avoid conflict (6)
A slang word for money containing (divided by) the Roman numeral for 6.

2d Study taken care of and maintained (9)
The favourite three letter synonym for study and a synonym for taken care of give a synonym for maintained (e.g. a position in a debate).

6d Nobility always poetically expressed in part of book (7)
The poetic synonym for always contained in a single element of a book.

8d Perhaps Odysseus conceals this ecstatic expression of feeling (8)
A second lurker (conceals this) in the first two words of the clue.

12d Stupidly put secret agent in most prominent position (6,5)
Anagram (stupidly put) of SECRET AGENT gives a prominent theatrical position.

18d Elizabethan courtier who brought King Edward’s predecessor (7)
The courtier and explorer who brought a new vegetable back from across the pond of which KE is a variety.

19d Opposed to what, for the French, is old-fashioned (7)
A four letter synonym for opposed to and the French for what (remember ignore punctuation in a clue).

22d Flourish as learner in time of prosperity (5)
The single letter for learner inside (in) a synonym for a time of prosperity.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

A fairly random selection for today’s musical offering, but I recall that Kath listed Billy Joel in her list of favourites (notice, a list not a single favourite) a couple of weeks ago:

Posted March 26, 2017 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Perfection! 3*/5*.

Favourite? Any one of the 28 clues.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to Senf.

2. JonP
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Another gem from Virgilius which took me a bit longer than usual to solve.

Thanks to Senf and Virgilius ***/****

3. jane
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Great way to start Mother’s Day!
    I was ridiculously slow to latch onto 26a and had all sorts of the ‘wrong’ money in 1d before the penny dropped – still needed to check with the BRB that the answer is an actual word.
    Top of the pile for me were the possibly two old chestnuts at 5&16d. It’s the way the maestro constructs the clues that breathes new life into them.

Thanks to Virgilius and to Senf – 18d put me in mind of the old Bob Newhart sketches about said Elizabethan courtier, still hilarious today.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Oh dear Jane. It is Mothering Sunday not Mother’s Day

Posted March 26, 2017 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Hear hear is what my mother would say if she were still with us!

• Angellov
          Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

And mine.

• jane
        Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Sorry, guys – didn’t mean to cause any offence, but we simply celebrate the secular event in this household. None of us spend the day visiting the mother church.

• BusyLizzie
        Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Here in the US Mother’s Day is not until May 14, and is more of a “Hallmark” moment. Much preferred the Mothering Sunday version in England, with lovely services enjoyed by both children and mothers alike.

4. Vancouverbc
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

***/*****. What a great crossword! Difficult to choose a favourite there were so many good clues. Thanks to Virgilius for an elegant puzzle and Senf for the hints. Spring has arrived and I actually had to mow the lawn yesterday.

• Angellov
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

My neighbour is mowing his lawn today (Sunday – grrr!).

• BusyLizzie
        Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

That’s the norm here, and as retirees we revel in the weekday quietness, but that is often disturbed these days by the commercial lawn cutting firms, who show up as early as 7:30am, complete with large noisy equipment, leaf blowers etc.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

We had a very early visit from a florist who insisted on tooting his horn when he arrived :( He delivered a lovely jug full of beautiful flowers to ‘Mum, Granny and Mother-in-Law’ so I can’t really complain.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I believe that lawn mowing is not allowed on Sundays in Germany! It’s part of the “quiet time” rules.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I’ve cut my grass, all 1/2 acre of it, four times this year already. I do it when it suits me which is largely dependent on the weather.

5. Paso Doble
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

we were a bit slow over this lovely puzzle but thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to Virgillius and to send for parsing a couple of our answers! ***/****

6. Angellov
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Much entertainment and plenty of challenge today. Last in were the two 1s with which Senf’s help was appreciated. Wasn’t sure about 15d analyst or 27a taken to cleaners but of course Chambers confirmed both. Thank you Virgilius for one of your best.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Like Paso Doble I was a bit slow with this one but enjoyed it a lot – don’t know why I was so slow.
    1a was my last answer which was so dim.
    I also got into a muddle for ages with 12d – hadn’t registered that it was divided 6,5 and tried to make it one word.
    14a has got me on my high horse . . . I’ve just realised that what I was about to say will have me spending the rest of the day in the naughty corner.
    I found 11a easily and then missed the other one.
    I liked 4 and 26a and 7 and 18d. My favourite was 1d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and to Senf – I love everything Billy Joel has ever done. :smile:

• Senf
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

I like the line in this Billy Joel composition about ordering a ‘tonic and gin’ – that’s my kind of drink!

Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Oh – he’s just wonderful and I love the ‘tonic and gin’ too.
        When our Lambs were little(ish) and we went on holidays which involved very long journeys in the car it was difficult to find music that we’d all listen to happily. He was, and still is in our family anyway, one that managed to please all of us.
        One of his is, to us, called, “The Swimming Pool Song” – far too long and complicated to explain why.

8. Gwizz
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I took two goes at today’s offering before it capitulated. Very good puzzle which one needed one’s thinking cap set firmly on to complete it. Favourite clue – out of many – probably 4a. 3/4* overall.
    Thanks to Virgilius for yet another great crossword, and to Senf for the hints.

9. BusyLizzie
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle from Virgilius although I do have to confess to being stuck on 3 clues that are not in the hints. Perhaps brain will kick in later. Favorite today is probably 18a although I thought it borderline cryptic.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Dead right, RD, this was perfection!
    I needed the hints to know why the reference to King Edward in 18d, I do vaguely remember those. We don’t have them here, at least I’ve never seen them.
    So much good stuff, I can’t remember when I enjoyed a puzzle so much. I loved 1d and 26a in particular.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to Senf for the Sunday entertainment.

11. Longers
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I used to have Sunday as a “no can do day” re the crossword but now, thanks to Big Dave and his band of contributors, I find it the most enjoyable of the week. That’s not to say I find it easy – in fact today’s offering has been with me in the garden all day. But now completed and not being one of those people who dislike a crossword because it’s a long solve, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I now understand why so many contributors to this blog praise Virgilius. Last one in 27ac – hope it’s correct! Stalled earlier having put an incorrect answer to 19dn which led on to all sorts of issues! It did end in que. 1ac my favourite. Many thanks to Virgilius and Senf for review. Hope that came across OK -my device preferred Virginia and Send.

12. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Bottom half was fine, but the top half defeated me.
    Good crossword, still learning though.
    Thanks Senf and Virgilius

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Hoofit,
      What this blog has taught me is that in crosswordland we all are still learning, just those like you and I have more to learn than some.

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Yes, LROK.
        Just like life really, as I used to tell my boys, “never stop learning”.
        It’s a great lesson in life really, I finish a couple of crosswords without hints, then get brought down to earth with a very hard bump.

• BusyLizzie
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Put me in the still learning a group please…even though I’ve been doing these since the dark ages 🙂

13. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

This rivalled the dog walk on a lovely sunny morning. Couldn’t have had a better start to the day.
    23a my COTD with 18d close.
    Thanks to Virgilius and Senf. Re the prices – you have to pay a lot to see a Nobel Laureate. Unless to want to come to my golf club where you can meet one for a pint.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 26, 2017 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Really? Who?

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted March 26, 2017 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

MP
        Sir Martin Evans Nobel Laureate in Medicine 2007 for his work on stem cells.

14. Shropshirebloke
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Having started on the wrong foot by putting some GK answers into the cryptic grid, my solving had very messy look about it. Having righted things, solving was steady until being completely flummoxed by 27a. Would like to say that the penny eventually dropped, but it took ‘Mothering Sunday Girl’ to provide me with the three letters I needed to finish it off. A nice offering from Virgilius and all good fun, leaving plenty of time to celebrate the day with three mothers, two sons, three grandchildren and yours truly at one of the local restaurants.

15. Jon_S
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable challenge, perhaps a little tougher than of late, *** for difficulty. NW corner last to fall, largely because of 1ac where I persistently failed to spot which bit was the definition.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Senf for the hints. A wonderful puzzle as usual from Virgilius. I was beaten by 1a, I always struggle with double definitions. Last in was 1d. Favourite was 8d. Was 3*/5* for me.

Posted March 26, 2017 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

A charming, but relatively benign puzzle: 1*/4*. Little marginal ticks of approval for 17a, 20d and 23a, but my vote goes to14a – a cleverly constructed clue which initially led me to invent several new words whilst vainly searching for a 13 letter anagram. Thanks to Virgilius, and to Senf for the hints.

18. Donaldo
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Today’s crossword was very nicely constructed and pitched. Difficult, but one where the answers came after a mental wrestle. 1a was my last one in! It took long enough to last my Caffé Nero hot chocolate (large) and a pot of tea. Perfect.

19. Sheffieldsy
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

2*/4* for this carefully crafted gem. We especially liked 7d (we laughed) but 8d is our top pick – the mark of the master, even when you look at it after solving it the lurker stays well hidden – try it!

Thanks Senf and Virgilius

20. LetterboxRoy
    Posted March 27, 2017 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I am often astonished and amused watching those guys with their blowers on a windy day wasting my service charge chasing leaves around. Pointless.
    Nice puzzle but no stand out favourites. Thanks to Virgilius and to Mr M for the not-required hints.