Hints and tips by a still mangled Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

Today we have another fine puzzle from the Monday maestro Rufus containing several interesting takes on cryptic definitions a few (too many) anagrams, a homophone, an initial letter clue but no lurkers unless they are so well hidden I failed to spot them.

I have had a satisfying weekend of Rugby Football particularly enjoying EXCELLENT wins by Coventry and England. Roll on next Saturday

The hints and tips are here to help. Definitions are underlined and the answers can be revealed by clicking on the click here box.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    One buccaneering vulgar song we hear (7)
CORSAIR: A homophone clue. A buccaneer or pirate might become (we hear) a vulgar or crude tune when split 6,3 Although the clue only has 7 letters the homophone does indeed split 6,3)

5a    He and Carol suffering disease (7)
CHOLERA: Anagram (suffering) of HE and CAROL

9a    Steps taken to make sunburn disappear? (5)
TANGO: These steps are a dance which if split 3,2 might describe how one’s sunburn might disappear

10a    Young stall-holders (9)
CHOIRBOYS: These young stall-holders might sit in stalls in a church or cathedral where from time to time they may sing a tune or two. Here are some fine examples alongside some images of England’s greatest cathedral.

11a    Uriah’s mate, terribly unprofessional (10)
AMATEURISH: Anagram (terribly) of URIAH’S MATE

12a    Cliff‘s evidence of having been hurt (4)
SCAR: A steep high cliff or rock outcrop, especially of limestone may also be a mark left on the skin or within body tissue where a wound, burn, or sore has not healed completely and fibrous connective tissue has developed. Oh the joys of copying and pasting.

14a    Some pine for a £500 crossword (6,6)
MONKEY PUZZLE: An informal term for the sum of £500 is followed by what a crossword is an example of. Together the answer gives a common name for a tree of the Pine family? This pine comes along quite often. It is a tree of the name Araucaria. A google search of the name John Galbraith Graham may provide some interest here

18a    They take part in emergencies (12)
UNDERSTUDIES: A cryptic definition of those in theatre land who step in to play a role or part at short notice due to the unexpected absence of the main player

21a    Mind how we must appear in Paris (4)
NOUS: A noun meaning the mind or intellect is also the French translation of the word we.

22a    One who enters the services (10)
CHURCHGOER: A cryptic definition of one who enters a consecrated building to attend the services or masses held therein

25a    Pursued, catching ten to be punished (9)
CHASTENED: A verb meaning to be pursued ( as a fox might be by hounds) goes around (catches) the word TEN From the clue

26a    Cried with this person getting married (5)
MEWED: A pronoun used by a person to describe themselves is followed by a verb meaning getting married to.

27a    Migrant who pays his debts (7).
SETTLER: This double definition refers to one who pays and a colonist

28a    Book public transport (7)
OMNIBUS: And this double definition does exactly what it says on the tin with the first definition being a book comprising of several books together that have previously been published separately

1d    Being disturbed, can Pat snooze? (6)
CATNAP: Anagram (being disturbed) of CAN PAT

2d    True about National Trust getting receipts for letter? (6)
RENTAL: Place an adjective meaning actually existing (true) around (about) the abbreviation for the National Trust

3d    It’s not beneath the directors, to be honest (5,5)
ABOVE BOARD: Take an adverb meaning at a higher level than (not beneath) and add the collective name for a group of company directors

4d    Happen to be unoriginal (5)
RECUR: A cryptic definition of a verb meaning to occur again periodically or repeatedly and therefore being unoriginal

5d    Inward-looking (5-4)
CROSS-EYED: Another cryptic definition. This time of an adjective describing the turning in of one or both eyes towards the nose. This would be simplicity itself to illustrate but it is a sight I hate to see. Yuck!.

6d    Means of propulsion on a Roman ship originally (4)
OARS: The answer lies with the initial letters (originally) of four consecutive words in the clue. Have you bought this book yet?

7d    Banish spirits with zero ice upsetting imbibing times (8)
EXORCIZE: Anagram (upsetting) of ZERO ICE taking in (imbibing) the mathematical symbol for times

8d    Insisted on a fresh dessert (8)
ASSERTED: A from the clue followed by an anagram (fresh) of DESSERT

13d    One with powers over the rest of us (10)
SUPERHUMAN: My last one in. A cryptic definition of one such as Clark Kent of DC Comics

15d    General thickener for cooking (9)
KITCHENER: Anagram (for cooking) of THICKENER

16d    Tea dispenser is among features in heaters (8)
FURNACES: place a three-lettered tea dispenser inside (among) the plural of the front part of one’s head.

17d    Notice worker accepting project for military assistant (8)
ADJUTANT: This notice is an advertisement. Use its abbreviation together with one of our regular workers (not the honey maker) and wrap them around a verb meaning to project out from something

19d    Network company books in which you and I will have entry (6)
COBWEB: Use the abbreviation for company and two single letter abbreviations for book (as indicated by the plural in the clue) Now place the pronoun used to determine you and I together inside the two bookish abbreviations

20d    Stared in shock seeing exchanges (6)
TRADES: Anagram (in shock) of STARED

23d    Send message to a daughter in port (5)
RADIO: Our regular three letter port (actually the first word of a three-worded port) has the letter A from the clue and the abbreviation for D(aughter) included (in)

24d    And others after time turned up (2,2)
ET AL: Take a word meaning after time or tardy. Reverse it (up) and split it 2,2

Solved in silence and reviewed to the wonderful Basement Tapes by Bob Dylan with The Band.

The Quick Crossword pun: killer+bite=kilobyte

1. Senf
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

This probably took more time than it should have done. So, I am going to blame the fact that, in North America, the clocks sprang forward at 2 am on Sunday morning and my body clock has not adjusted yet – that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

2.5*/1.5* for me – as well as the time change factor, Rufus in one of his trickier moods which resulted in the need some electronic assistance.

Favourite 14a – very clever and one of my last ones in.

Thanks to Rufus and MP.

• BusyLizzie
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 7:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

I wondered why this Monday puzzle seemed so hard, but it’s the clocks of course – think I need to move to Arizona where they have the good sense not to mess with them 😊

2. sabrinastar
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Did not think 13 down all that cryptic…………………

Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

3*/4*. All the usual Monday fun. I took much longer than I needed to finish this off as I became convinced about halfway through that it was going to be a pangram, and so I spent ages over my last two in (22a & 13d) being certain that 13d must start with a Q, which at that stage was the only missing letter of the alphabet.

Jostling for a place on my podium today are 9a, 14a, 18a & 15d.

Many Magnificats to the Monday Maestro and to Mangled Miffypops.

• Toadson
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too have written ‘LI’ next to 22a and 13d (last in). There is virtually the same clue as 22a in today’s Guardian. Thanks to Rufus and MP. Following the discussion yesterday, I thought there would either be a Dylan clip for the majority of clues, or none at all!

4. neveracrossword
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

“13d was my last one in, too. My first stab was ” *****woman” (which makes as much sense) but the right answer was clear once I got 22a.
    Thank you Rufus and Miffypops, although you forgot to mention the victory of Leicester Tigers.

5. Angellov
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

A short-lived exercise to kick off the week but it was fun while it lasted. Confused myself by initially hankering after writers for second half of 18a. Fav was 14a – the £500 for some reason always makes me think of John McCririck! Thank you Rufus and MP. Beautiful sunshine in West Sussex and it looks from the forecast as if that is the case more or less nationwide – do hope so.

6. mcmillibar
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Bouncing into the week with this fun offering, I wanted to get it done quickly to make use of this fine almost-Spring day. And did, over a pot of finest coffee. Bunch of daffodils go to 15d for it’s four-word brevity and tidiness. Much fun so thank you Rufus for a nice start to this se’nnight. **/***

7. Beaver
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wrote down */*** after completion, looks like I had a good day !
    Liked the surface of 14a and 18a and the cluing generally,
    Thanks Miffypops for the pics -loved the expression on the superheroes face.

8. RayS
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice gentle start to the week with some clever clues. I too spent some time looking for a Q for the pangram. He teased us with that Z and X in 7d. There were many to like – 10a, 22a, 19d and 14a with 5d being my favourite 1*/4* His Guardian puzzle was 1* also today.

Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I enjoyed this Monday crossword much more than usual – loved it.
    Two clues held me up – I couldn’t get choristers out of my head for 10a even though it wouldn’t fit, and 22a had me thinking the answer was going to be a vicar of some kind.
    I always thought that 21a was general common sense rather than intelligence.
    The two stand out clues for me today were 14a and 5d – either of those would do as my favourite.
    Thanks to Rufus and to the mangled Miffypops – hope you’re better soon.
    It’s a beautiful day in Oxford – blue sky and warm sun – washing’s on the line – off to the garden.

10. Spook
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Got held up in SW corner for a little while, couldn’t believe that there was another anagram. All in all though a fairly pleasant start to the week. Favourite 14a just for the cheek of it.
    Blustery here in North Cornwall but hoping for better things to come.
    Thanks to MP and to Rufus.

11. Jon_S
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Definitely on the easy side, a single * for difficulty, but on the other hand I thought this was one of Rufus’ more enjoyable puzzles. A little trickier to the south, perhaps, with more than one possibility for 13d (and yes, I picked the wrong one first). I believe that’s the first time I’ve seen 7d spelt like that, I’d naturally go with an ‘s’, but I see that in Chambers Rufus’ version is listed first, so there you go.

Posted March 13, 2017 at 1:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

The usual Rufus fun, greatly enjoyed. My only hold up was that, having solved the anagram in 20d, I wrote in the fodder instead. Dim!
    Loved it all, I think fave is 14a.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to M’pops for his review. I’ll read the blog and comments later, have to rush this morning.

13. LetterboxRoy
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable as usual, nice to see our friend the Araucaria is back again and very nicely clued at that. Lots to like, I can’t decide between 14a or 9a for top marks.
    Many thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review.

14. Young Salopian
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

2*/4* for this very enjoyable puzzle from Rufus. I thought the clue mix was good, no obscurities and some interesting ideas along religious lines, 10 and 22a. 14a my favourite. Many thanks to the aforementioned for getting the cryptic week off to a great start, and to MP for his fun review.

15. jane
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Jolly good fun from Rufus – one of his best, I thought.
    8d was my last one in – don’t know why, it just was!
    Crowded at the top with 1,9,14,18&26a jockeying for position with 5d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to the mangled one – a welcome respite from Bob but you still can’t resist needling with the likes of the 1d pic (wait ’til I tell Kitty) and that odd clip at 13d.

• Senf
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Jane – No Dylan this coming Sunday either, moving one letter to the right in the alphabet.

• Miffypops
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Elvis Costello. Can’t wait

• Senf
          Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

:sad: There is a slight possibility that you might be disappointed. :sad:

• Miffypops
            Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

I hope it’s not Eric ( watch me play guitar like I walk my dog ) Claptout

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Everly Brothers? No that’s too early I guess

• LabradorsruleOK
          Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Eddie Cochran perhaps – even BD didn’t get round to him (fortunately some might say – not me though. 20 Flight Rock was the first “used” record I bought for a shilling off the juke box at the local milk bar).

• jane
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe the pianist?

• Toadson
          Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe the gentle strains of Enya??

• jane
            Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh yes – maybe so.
            He’s just building up the suspense!

• Toadson
              Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

I hope my nerves can take it … 6 days to go!

• Senf
              Posted March 13, 2017 at 6:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, on Saturday, in a normal comment, I will include an appropriate offering for the day from Ella Eyre (see 2 Es). Then, on Sunday . . .

• Miffypops
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

The clip at 19d is by They Might Be Giants you can check out their album Flood on Spotify Jane.

• jane
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Huh? I can’t see a clip at 19d.

• Miffypops
          Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry 13d

• jane
            Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do you mean to say there’s more? Good grief………….

• Posted March 13, 2017 at 7:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

He thinks he’s mangled now …

16. Paso Doble
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely gentle puzzle for a lovely gentle sunny Monday morning in lovely gentle CamdenTown.
    Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops!

17. Vancouverbc
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

**/***. Enjoyable puzzle with the SE corner proving to be tougher than the rest. Favourites were 28a&19d. Thanks to Rufus and MP for the review. Good to see England win the sevens rugby in my home city.

18. Shropshirebloke
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 2:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Although this Rufus puzzle took very little time to solve, it gets 10 out of 10 from me for pure good fun. Some super clues, giving me at least some laugh out loud moments. Thank you Rufus, nice one.

19. silvanus
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Excellent entertainment as ever from Rufus to start the week. My LOI was 10a, I spent far too long suckered into the trap of believing I was looking for young farm animals! My joint-favourites were 9a and 15d, even if its last four letters didn’t need rearranging.

Many thanks to Mr. Squires and to Miffypops, perhaps you need Kim Kardashian’s return to nurse you back to full health?!

20. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely start to the week. Nothing contententious and very enjoyable solve followed by the early morning dog walk with clear skies & a rising sun.
    18a was COTD for me closely followed by 14a the Chilean Pine (as I recall it featured a couple of months back in that guise).
    Thanks to Rufus & MP. Can’t see the relevance of the clip for 13d, there should be hints on the hints for fossilised simpletons like me.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 3:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

It just links to all the superheroes being some thing man. Batman Spider-Man Superman. Particle Man follows that theme.

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you MP. Lost on me I’m afraid. Roy of the Rovers, Wilson, “Chained to his bat” (can’t remember his name) & Braddock VC were my superhumans. Homespun folk who inhabited Wizard & Hotspur. Couldn’t wait for next week’s editions

• LabradorsruleOK
          Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Should have added the Rover & Mr Google tells me Chained to his bat was John Taggart & I had forgotten Limpalong Leslie!

• LetterboxRoy
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wonder what Mangled Man’s super power would be?

Posted March 13, 2017 at 5:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Saw a picture of best at Crufts in the DT today. You are so right, that’s a gun dog? Really?

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 6:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Merusa,
        Sadly yes & it won Supreme Champion! Second was a dog I think they plugged into the mains judging by how its hair was standing on end.

Course it comes from the US where technically nearly every household pet is a gun dog!

On pictures – did you see yesterday’s picture in the Telegraph of Michelle Obama following her leg amputation? It’s on p31 of the electronic Sunday Telegraph

21. Jaylegs
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lovely start to the week nice crossword 😘 **/**** and nice weather 😎 Spring has sprung! Thanks to MP and to Rufus. Top 🍌 Either 14 or 18a 🤔

Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

An OK puzzle which was for me quite tricky. Don’t understand the HAPPEN in 4d. I can see that recur is not original but why happen?
    Best clue for me was 1a, a smiler.
    Thx to all

• Angellov
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Brian, surely it means to occur/happen again.

• Aunty Marge
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too got hung up on this – just couldn’t see why OCCUR was not original and then of course couldn’t solve 1a!!

23. Bluebirds
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

How do you spell EXORCISE?

• Angellov
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 4:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

With a ‘Z’ today!

24. pete
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 5:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

I found this one quite easy, but still enjoyable. The only one to hold me up was 22a. 2.5*/2.5* Many thanks to Rufus and MP

25. Aunty Marge
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 5:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah yes – a 1* puzzle – that’s how i managed to get it solved!
    Kath – i too got stuck endlessly on choristers – perhaps because these days […..] are rare indeed – my own church choir has been denuded of said same for many years now and men have gradually followed suit. Bit like the Archers cricket team ….

Also got stuck on the superman clue …. what could the other two letters be????

And I thought that the driving out of spirits was spelt with an ‘s’ until I got to solve 14a.

Posted March 13, 2017 at 7:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Enfants de Coeur et grenouilles de bénitier. It’s Monday. I thought churches were closed.
    Sometimes Rufus becomes Giovanni and the Don gives us Rufuesque (as Silvanus puts it) clues on a Friday.
    What’s going on?
    Loved all the acrosses. They could fit on a stamp as we say here. Short, concise and to the point.
    14a did make me think about Araucaria. Don’t think he will ever be forgotten.
    Thanks to MP for keeping the courage to blog.

27. Posted March 13, 2017 at 7:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

(I wrote the following earlier, but the blog wasn’t up by the time I had to leave so it had to wait. I brought with me the necessary devices for commenting (phone for internet and tab for a browser that jumps successfully through the Cloudflare hoops) but was kept sadly busy so comment I could not.)

Enjoyable dose of Rufosity to set the system to weekday mode.

The sailing was plain until I drew a complete blank at the intersecting pair 22a/13d. I took a break to do the Indy (lots of fun and not too many head-scratches today from Hoskins, btw – highly recommended) and when I returned, that fine piece of programming the Telegraph app had lost my answers. I decided then that my crosswordage had finished for the day.

Much as some here might think crosswords the only fruit, I think there should strictly be a definition by example indicator in 14a. Perfectly solvable though, and always nice to see 14a, so I liked it anyway. In the other direction, though Chambers says it has every right to be there, I’d exorcise the z from 7d and replace it with more sinuous letter to restore me to better spirits.

My favourite is obviously 26a, with a nod (off?) to 1d.

Thanks to Rufus and MP.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 8:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry about the lateness of the blog today. I pinged it to BD shortly after 9.00am. Or so I thought. I sent it successfully after a plea from BD.

• JonP
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 10:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

I love Hoskins in the Indy – always great fun, though I doubt we’ll see him in the DT anytime soon ;)

• JonP
        Posted March 13, 2017 at 10:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think he came up with a clue along the lines of “Take down my ruddy trousers! (6)”

Spluttered beer a bit and was hooked from there on lol..

28. BusyLizzie
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 7:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not the gentle Monday I was hoping for. Got off to a good start and then ground to a halt. Went outside and pulled up about 100 palm tree seedlings – who knew these trees were so time intensive, trying to seed themselves with abandon. Was able to finish with Miffypops hints. No real favorite today.

29. happy days
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 8:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good old Rufus. Never lets us down. To be picky, 7d was unusually clumsy, as was the solution spelling, but hey, things can’t always be 100% perfect! I thoroughly enjoyed the solve, as always

30. Sheffieldsy
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

A benign and entertaining start to the week, 1.5*/3*.

Thanks to MP and Rufus.

31. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted March 13, 2017 at 8:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thought this was quite tricky for a Monday, certainly harder than recent Mondays. Once I got into the “Rufus style” I was ok.
    I needed a hint for 1a, I have heard of the word, but a definite hole in my education there.
    I did not 7d could be spelt with a ‘Z’ , that held me up.
    Fav was 9a.
    Cheers MP and Rufus.

Posted March 13, 2017 at 10:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Entirely agree with MP’s scoring. My favourite was 10a, with an honourable mention for14a. Thanks to Rufus and MP. I too enjoyed this weekend’s rugby. England were terrific, and my afternoon at Sandy Park yesterday was made by a masterful performance from the Chiefs.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 11:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

The Devil is in the detail Salty Dog. The rating/scoring is attributed to BD who indeed rates or scores the puzzle on a Monday. (or any other day I write the hints). It is just the way it is. I missed the Exeter’s win yesterday as I visited FarGo Village for a cheese and chutney festival instead. Cheese v Rugby? The Twisted Barrel Brewery may have swayed the decision with their excelent range of stouts.

33. Gwizz
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Whoops! Forgot to comment.
    Nice Monday fare as usual from Rufus. No problems encountered and overall 1.5/3*. Favourite clue was the simian tree.i
    Thanks to Rufus, and to MP for his review.