DT 28372 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 28372 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Cheat told conundrums changing ends around (7)
Start with a verb meaning told conundrums and swap the first and last letters (changing ends around)

5a    Wreckage in half of Family Fortunes (7)
Start with the first half of FAM[ily] and insert fortunes or fates

12a    Historic vessel takes PM to river (9)
The surname of our cuurent Prime Minister followed by a generic word frequently used in Crosswordland to define a river

14a    Stepped on it going round kitchen, finally getting fork out (5)
A verb meaning stepped on it around the final letter of [kitche]N

16a    Drill cuts out round emergency room (9)
A verb meaning cuts out around the abbreviation for Emergency Room

18a    Artist‘s distinctive design described by strange term (9)
A distinctive design inside (described by) an anagram (strange) of TERM

22a    County formerly seeking teachers’ charter (15)
This historic county is a charade of a verb meaning seeking, a teacher, the S from ‘S and a verb meaning to charter

24a    Talk about southern herb (7)
A verb meaning to talk around S(outhern)

1d    Art style with strange decency (7)
A four-letter art style is followed by an adjective meaning strange

2d    Footballer gets millions for nothing having letter, we hear, to go on old quiz show (6,4,5)
Start with the surname of an overrated overpaid footballer, insert M(illions) instead of the first occurrence of O (nothing) then precede it by what sounds like a letter of the alphabet

3d    Improvement towards the end in heading for one side (9)
Split as (4,5) this is an improvement, typically after a long illness

5d    Poetic style produces great excitement round about Home Counties (4,5)
Put some great excitement around a two-letter word meaning about then add the area of England where the Home Counties are found

6d    Place for refreshment that’s ordinary in its present state (5)
O(rdinary) followed by a phrase meaning in its present state (2,2)

8d    Half-hearted wife journalist treated badly (7)
Drop either of the middle letters (half-hearted) of a colloquial word for a wife then add out usual journalist

17d    Flats etc providing pleasant views (7)
These flats can be found in a theatre

20d    Group of soldiers has bad time in revolution (5)
An adjective meaning bad and T(ime) all reversed (in revolution)

The Crossword Club is now open.

Please read these instructions carefully – they are not subject to debate or discussion. Offending comments may be redacted or, in extreme cases, deleted. In all cases the administrator’s decision is final.

The Quick Crossword pun: haughty+cult+ewers=horticultures

1. Senf
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 11:33 am | Permalink

**/*** for me, with at least one oldie but goodie (4d).

Favourite 22a – I like a 15 letter charade.

Thanks to the Setter and BD.

And, thanks to Wales for the big favour done for England last night.

2. Graham
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I found this slightly harder than the normal Saturday offerings but still managed to complete without the need for any hints. Younger people may not of heard of the 2D quiz show but a very clever clue in my opinion.Thanks to all & come on England this afternoon.

• Bart
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

I think 2d betrayed the age if the setter. As a principle I don’t like anachronistic clues that exclude younger solvers.

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

The wordplay was pretty much unfathomable, that makes for a poor clue IMO

• Silly Sally
          Posted March 12, 2017 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I don’t remember the show but worked it out (I think?) from the letters…

• maarvarq
          Posted March 27, 2017 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Hear hear. I got it from the letters from the crossing clues, but was most unimpressed with what I was then supposed to have worked out from the actual clue – awful.

3. Thebear
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Whizzed through and got 3d but not sure why until you explained it, thank you. Are the compilers in love with our pm? Sure this is at least the third use of her name in the last few weeks.

• Senf
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I am not sure that I would describe the compilers as being in love with the PM, but, with only three letters, it is easy to clue as part of a charade such as today.

4. Toadson
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword, needed hint to fully justify my answer for 2d, but very clever once ‘seen’ (as someone has already said). Have a good weekend all.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I know the TV show but I have no idea where there is a footballer in there

• Vancouverbc
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

MP – the footballer looks like Shrek but change the “nothing” in his name for a character representing millions. I hope I’m not being banished to the naughty step.

• Silly Sally
        Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:01 am | Permalink

i got the footballer but isn’t the clue a bit slanderish? :(

• Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Presumably by clue you mean hint – that is my personal opinion, one that is shared, I suspect, by many.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

My only hold up was reading the first word of 22A incorrectly. Guilty of not bothering to parse 2D. 1A is my favorite. Thanks BD and setter.

6. Peter Courtney
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable Saturday brain starter., but struggled with 19D. Never heard of this usage.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

As it is a Saturday, all I’m going to say is that if you go to the Google search this site box at the top RH side of this page, and put in your solution, you’ll learn that quite a few people haven’t heard of this before either!

• jane
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

You can add me to that list!

Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Me too!

Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Me too!

• Tantalus
          Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Us three

• Silly Sally
            Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Me four! 🐎

• Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I can’t fit it easily into the rules for the Usual Suspects page, so I have added it to Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing

• Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

It is in the BRB as archaic slang.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

It has an interesting entry in my favourite reference book, good old ‘Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable’

• Heno
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I’d never heard of it either.

7. Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

All very pleasant, with a touch more resistance in the south. I thought I might have trouble with 2d but he turned out fine. I liked quite a few clues but think I will join Expat Chris in electing 1a as favourite, beating 13d.

Thanks to the setter and BD. Happy Caturday everybody. I don’t think SL is around at weekends so I think it should be safe to link to some cute kittens (obviously, if you don’t want to see them, don’t click here).

• Orphan Annie
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well. Love OA

• jane
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

And may the weather gods look kindly upon you!

Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Good luck! We’ll all be rooting for you.

• Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you, OA, Jane and Merusa!

(A little drop of rain is forecast but it can hardly hurt me.)

Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

2*/2.5*. A bit of a mixed bag today for me. I particularly liked 22a, 7d & 14d but I thought 2d & 5d were ghastly.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

9. Gwizz
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I thought this was somewhat trickier than the usual Saturday fare. I’m not sure I really enjoyed it but I can’t really say why. No real faves and overall 2/3*.
    Thanks to the setter, and to BD for the hints.

10. jane
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I rather enjoyed this one – does anyone who’s more familiar with setters’ styles know whether this was set by the very nice ‘Mr. Saturday’ who came to the birthday bash?
    As already confessed above, I didn’t know the dosh but the answer was fortunately very obvious.
    My top two were 1&3a.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD for the confirmations.

What a good day – and there’s still a Silvanus puzzle to come!

• Senf
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Plus lots of good rugby!

• jane
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I shall refrain from answering that…………

• Senf
          Posted March 11, 2017 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

:smile: :smile:

11. spindrift
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Nothing to startle the stallions here (as Gazza might say). The only clue i needed a hint for was the erstwhile county.

Thanks to setter for an enjoyable preamble before the England game later on. Now do I have time for the NTSPP….of course I do!

12. Angellov
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Saturdays are so much more fun these days and today is no exception. SW held out the longest. Last part of 12 across seems to appear regularly. Missed parsing for beginning of 6d. What a beautiful day and hopefully the sun will shine for England this evening. Thank you Mr. Ron and BD. ☀️🌹

13. Michael
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I’ve got no idea who the overpaid, overrated footballer is – thank god I remember the old TV quiz show. I found that several of today’s clues had very dubious wordings that I couldn’t ‘parse’ – 22a, 2d, 8d, 13d to name a few – maybe it’s me!

Rugby all the way today – come on England 🎶Swing low sweet chariot🎶

Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, a little tricky for a Saturday. Like many others, I’d never heard of the usage in 19d. Needed the hints to parse 2d & 17d. The latter was last in. Favourite was 1a. Was 3*/3* for me.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

2d is one of those clues that’s easier to solve without understanding, took me ages to unpick the obvious answer. Not sure if it’s very clever or a real groaner.
    Apart from that, bit tougher than usual for a Saturday but very enjoyable.
    Thx to all.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Another satisfactory Saturday, most enjoyable for me.
    I agree, M’pops, don’t find a footballer, but it doesn’t matter as I don’t know any, and the answer couldn’t be anything else.
    I had to google the county and the dosh, but they were easy enough to work out.
    Fave was 18a, with 13d hot on its heels.
    Thanks to setter, would like to see you again, and to BD for the hints.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Blimey, I’ve just worked out 2d, following BD’s hints closely, reading them out loud like someone just learning to read. How esoteric was that!

• Jaydubs
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I was determined to work this out too, I wrote it down and finally twigged!
        Very good clue. Thanks to all.

• Michael
          Posted March 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve just worked it out and to call him overpaid and overrated after what he’s achieved in the game is a bit rich to say the least – pun intended!

• LetterboxRoy
            Posted March 11, 2017 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Sorry Michael but I can’t agree with that. Achieved what? (…whilst supposedly ‘earning’ hundreds of thousands of pounds per week.)
            Apologies again, but I just don’t agree – that is utter tosh in my humble opinion, feel free to enlighten me if you will.
            Just expressing my opinion, please don’t take any kind of offence :smile:

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

LBR, I don’t think many people will disagree about the obscene level of pay these professional footballers get, but, like him or loathe him, he has scored 50 international goals which is an amazing achievement by anyone’s standards.

• hoofityoudonkey
                Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

He is a superb footballer, hardly his fault someone is prepared to pay him such an obscene amount of money.

• LetterboxRoy
                  Posted March 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Point taken, chaps. Just not happy with it….. call me Jose or Arsene. or Alex… :smile:
                  Difficult to argue with HIYD on this.
                  If hard work had anything to do with wealth, Ethiopian farmers would rule the world and Trump would be unemployed. That’s not political, BD; just an observation. I trust you are well. Thank you.

17. Orphan Annie
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Loved 1a which made me smile and set tone for the rest. Bottom right hand corner, down clues first followed by across clues to find nearly all done. Tiny bit of electronic help to confirm a couple of guesses. One day I will be confident enough not to do that. Thanks to BD and setter. Not boasting but just for once I have done NTSPP. :yahoo: think I deserve a nice cup of tea and a crumpet.

18. neveracrossword
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today. Many of the answers went straight in but took a bit longer to parse. Not sure that I agree with BD’s assessment of the footballer’s ability – though it is difficult to justify his pay.
    Thanks to BD and setter..

19. Florence
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

19d was new to me, but It was obvious from the checking letters. I had to google it afterwards. 2d and 6d made me smile. I finished this before the rugby started but not in time to comment. Thank you setter and BD

20. Toadson
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

I’ve just noticed a dead cat in the illustration for 5a!

Posted March 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I didn’t want to mention that. I hope Kitty misses it.

• Toadson
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Shouldn’t cause too much worry – doesn’t look real to me.

• BusyLizzie
          Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a piglet at first glance….

• Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

:( .

Well I’m not sure how that managed to slip through a wormhole but it’s a picture from the future – that’s me tomorrow.

21. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Good fun in the end. Didn’t care much for 2d until read BD’s parsing. Very clever & is my joint COTD with 7d(of course). However clue not very helpful as it could apply to any footballer – they are all overpaid.
    Thanks to setter and BD for explaining what to me was inexplicable.
    PS: Can’t believe how puerile the Channel 4 coverage of Crufts is.

Posted March 11, 2017 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I thought the Beeb had stopped broadcasting Crufts, something about the cruelty of inbreeding.

22. Vancouverbc
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Tougher than the usual Saturday fare but enjoyable. BRB needed to explain 19d. Never heard of it in this context. Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

23. Jon_S
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

A little more challenging than par for a Saturday, once or twice I thought I was in trouble, finishing at the close in *** time. The PM referenced in 12ac really is a gift to crossword setters. :-)

24. BusyLizzie
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Enjoyably tricky, making me work hard to get there, another great Saturday puzzle. I’m sure I think these through more on weekends when I can’t give up and take the “click here” option when an answer doesn’t spring to mind. Favorite was 13d, despite being one of the last in for no good reason. Had to think back to come up with 2d. Didn’t get the footballer bit, but agree with LabradorsruleOK that they are all overpaid. Hope tomorrow’s challenge is just as good.

25. Shropshirebloke
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable, but once again very short and sweet for a prize puzzle. Some good fun clues in 23 across, which was my favourite, along with 5 across. 2 down? nostalgia indeed. Thanks to the setter and BD.

26. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

All done, but the bottom half burnt some brain cells!!
    I used to have to watch 2d in my youth, hosted by Michael Miles, if I am not mistaken, though he became far more well known as rhyming slang for a very painful condition of the posterior!!
    Best of luck to the Lions tomorrow, I can’t go. No doubt we will take a hiding, but lots of money for the club, but an afternoon of beer and football to look forward to.
    A word of thanks to BD who put me on the right track to get the DT online site on an Android tablet. Thanks Dave!!
    22a was my favourite.
    Thanks to Mr Ron. and BD for the hints.

• Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Michael Miles did “Take Your Pick”. Look more carefully at my illustration.

You’ll understand if I don’t reciprocate your good wishes for tomorrow’s opponents of the Mighty Spurs.

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Oh yes…Hugie Greene…I see it now…

• Shropshirebloke
      Posted March 11, 2017 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Erm, I think you may well be mistaken with your quiz master, look again at the hint BD has given and you will see HG with Monica Rose.

27. Jmaden
    Posted March 11, 2017 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Had a different interpretation of the cryptic part of 5a to Big Dave’s hint but same result (I hope!). Derived solution by using *************** rather than inserting a word meaning fortunes into half of ‘Family’. Did anyone else interpret it this way or am I in a minority of one?!

• Posted March 11, 2017 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Please save this discussion for the full review on Friday.

28. Angellov
    Posted March 12, 2017 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Don’t know much about soccer so bunged in answer without trying to fathom 2d but d’oh the penny has finally dropped – clever I suppose. 😏

29. Sharon
    Posted March 12, 2017 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Please explain 13d. It’s completely stumped me!!

• Posted March 12, 2017 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Sharon

13d Cavalier, to support little free time after work (9)
      Isolating the definition is the hard part – just put a cavalier or mounted soldier under (to support) a three-letter word meaning little

30. almo
    Posted March 12, 2017 at 9:17 am | Permalink

can anyone put me out of my misery over today’s homophone for the first 3 clues in the Quick crossword – as it isn’t a prize item can I publish my answers ?
    Thanks

• Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:06 am | Permalink

No you can’t publish your own answers here as this is a blog about a different puzzle. However, the pun is covered at the bottom of the blog, suitably protected by a spoiler – just click to reveal the answers.

• almo
        Posted March 12, 2017 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Thanks, Big Dave, had never noticed this feature before – my second answer was wrong, very wrong and put me off the scent !

Posted March 12, 2017 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

A bit too late to comment now but I’m going to anyway.
    Quite a tricky Saturday crossword, I thought.
    I bunged in 2d – I still don’t get it even having read the hint several times – never mind.
    I agree that our current PM is going to be jolly useful to crossword setters.
    I liked 8d and my favourite is either 22a or 7d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

• Angellov
      Posted March 13, 2017 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Kath, to start with concentrate phonetically on a letter of the alphabet for 2d.

32. tstrummer
    Posted March 17, 2017 at 2:12 am | Permalink

Hughie Green (Paula Yates’s dad) and Monica Rose, the cheeky cockney sparrow. I remember she was given an Austin A40 as a birthday present on the show. I had one if them. It used more oil than petrol and ended up wrapped round a lamppost