Hints and tips by pommers

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Morning all and welcome to a non-RayT Thursday.  Nothing in this one to frighten any horses but there is plenty to entertain them.  There seem to be a lot of clues requiring insertions and several are indicated in the same way which is my only criticism of an otherwise splendid puzzle.

I have to take pommette to the physioterrorist at 1000UTC so I probably won’t be around when the blog publishes so play nicely while I’m away.  I’ll see you all when I get back.

As usual the ones I liked most are in blue.  The definitions are underlined in the clues and the answers are under the “click here” buttons.  Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a           Obey flag — ban manoeuvres in this area of Indian Ocean (3,2,6)
BAY OF BENGAL:  An anagram (manoeuvres) of OBEY FLAG BAN.  I always like it when the setter gives us a nice easy start.

10a         American in Lincoln is hurt (5)
ABUSE:  Two letters for American inserted into the first name of President Lincoln.

11a         Arm is lost at sea in part of yacht (5,4)
STORM SAIL:  An anagram (at sea) of ARM IS LOST.  One of the many things carried on a yacht which the sailor hopes he never has to use!

12a         Mind and matter engaged by popular controversial therapy (9)
INTELLECT:  A word which can mean ‘to matter’ is inserted (engaged by) between the usual word for popular and some controversial medical treatment involving electricity.

13a         Shred message after departure to a higher place (3,2)
RIP UP:  Shred here is a verb.  It’s the three letters placed on a tombstone and a word meaning higher.

14a         Colourful band making journey inside Home Counties (6)
STRIPE:  A journey is inserted (inside) into the area of the UK where the Home Counties are located.

16a         Deal engineered by assistant in foreign city (8)
ADELAIDE:  An Australian city is an anagram (engineered) of DEAL followed by a word  of French origin for an assistant.

18a         Severe Russian seen by river — English river largely (8)
RIGOROUS:  Start with an R(iver) and then a Russian man’s name and then your choice of three English rivers but without its last letter (largely).  There are rivers of this name in East Anglia, Yorkshire and Sussex.

20a         Personal artwork   display by soldiers (6)
TATTOO:  Double definition.  This video should come with a public health warning!

23a         Good man in firm beginning to sustain legal expense (5)
COSTS: The usual two letters for a good man are inserted (in) the usual firm and an S (beginning to Sustain).

24a         Amazing seeing worker with wine in football club (9)
FANTASTIC:  Crosswordland’s favourite worker and the usual Italian wine are inserted (in) the abbreviation of football club.

26a         Porridge by 6am, say, for one? (5,4)
EARLY BIRD:  I think this is trying to be a sort of an all-in-one.  The first word is describing the part of the day where you find 6am and the second is another slang term for porridge (think Ronnie Barker’s porridge) and the whole thing is what you would be if you wanted your morning porridge at 6am.  Phew! Hope that made sense!

27a         Excuse brief liberation in capital (5)
ALIBI:  An abbreviation of liberation is inserted (in) two letters for capital as in very good.

28a         Four directions given by landlords in information sheets (11)
NEWSLETTERS:  The four points of the compass, but not in the right order, are followed by a word for landlords.

2d           Person that’s developed overhead ultraviolet screens (5)
ADULT: The answers lurking (screens) in OVERHEAD ULTRAVIOLET.  I don’t know about the paper version but this was a bit tricky to spot on the website as the two words aren’t on the same line.

3d           Location for TV dinner and 400m race coincide? (7)
OVERLAP:  This word cryptically could be referring to where you put your tray while eating dinner in front of the TV or it could be another way of describing the distance of a 400m race on a normal athletics track.

4d           Source of numbers on street? (6)
BUSKER:  These numbers are songs so who sings them on the street?  Thanks for the tip Miffypops.  This is really brill!

5d           Refusal I noted awkwardly in middle of day (8)
NOONTIDE:  A two letter refusal is followed by an anagram (awkwardly) of I NOTED.

6d           Sailor who commands respect mostly with the French from the south (7)
ADMIRAL:  The boss of a fleet is a word for to respect without its last letter (mostly) and a French definite article reversed (from the south in a down clue).

7d           Infected by contagious fear in a PC, apparently? (5-8)
PANIC STRICKEN:  This is one of those reverse clues which seem to me to be getting more popular with our setters.  The first word is an anagram of IN A PC and the second word is an anagram indicator.  These clues are easier to solve than write hints for.

8d           Distortion is not commonly seen in women’s make-up (8)
WARPAINT:  A distortion is followed by a common way of saying is not to give a slang term for make-up.

9d           Price lordship dished out for exotic flower (7,6)
SLIPPER ORCHID:  An anagram (dished out) of PRICE LORDSHIP.

15d         Place for records about central point on railway (8)
REGISTRY:  Two letters for about are followed by the central point, of an argument perhaps, and then the usual two letters for railway.

17d         Slander over fast food in Scottish town (8)
DUMFRIES:  Slander which is usually referred to a slung is reversed (over) and followed by some fast food from the chippy.

19d         Change the design others used with US university clearing area (7)
RESTYLE:  A word for the others is followed by an American university but with the A removed (clearing Area).

21d         Firm‘s chap probing dodgy data (7)
ADAMANT:  Another word for a chap is inserted (probing) into an anagram (dodgy) of DATA.

22d         Where mountaineer may be   nervous (2,4)
ON EDGE:  I think this is a double definition but it could almost be another all-in-one.  What do you guys think?

25d         Row about resistance — one makes an effort (5)
TRIER:  Start with a row or level and put it around (about) an R (Resistance in electrical notation)

I really enjoyed this puzzle and there’s a lot of good stuff but the best for me was 22d closely followed by 7d and 4d.

Quickie pun:   LORRY    +    KEATS    =    LORIKEETS

1. Senf
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:09 am | Permalink

*/*** – very straightforward, enjoyable, and completed at a gentle gallop.

Immediate stand-out favourite 26a, with 4d a close second.

Thanks to Mr Ron and pommers.

2. Ora Meringue
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I was determined that 4d must be busses….well they do have numbers on them……
    and am quite certain that if I come upon that clue again I will certainly still not be able to get past busses……old age I suppose, but I do have the consolation of my bus pass.

I found this puzzle quite challenging, but then, it is Thursday and even the non Ray T Thursdays I usually find quite difficult.

Thanks to the setter and to Pommers .
    Hope the physioterrorist is not too rough with Pommette.

• Aunty Marge
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

4d = busses – got me stuck too for ages – this was the last to go in

• neveracrossword
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I thought of that first, too, but dismissed it because “buses” is the only plural I would use.

3. pete
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Sorry Senf, have to disagree, I found this quite tough and not at all straight forward. I did finish without any help, but still struggling to understand 12a. Favourites were 3d, 4d and most definitely 8d. 4*/3* Many thanks to the setter and to Pommers for his explanations.

• RayS
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:46 am | Permalink

The ect at the end is electroconvulsive therapy, which is controversial.

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Was a treatment of, almost, the first resort 40 years ago as I know only too well (being the odd bod that I am they seemed to help me).

4. RayS
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Mainly straightforward, but I was held up by 4d and 8d until a couple of pennies dropped. 2.5*/3* for me. My favourites then had to be 4d and 8d, with 26a being the outstanding one.

5. Spook
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Really nice puzzle just enough head scratching and just enough entertainment.
    Nothing much to cause us any real difficulty. 11a brought back some memories of a bit of a storm we got caught up in off the Scilly Isles a case of running for shelter as fast as possible. Safe haven provided for three days
    Thanks to Pommers and setter. **/****

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Only used our storm jib once. That was to get into Malahide where we proceeded to be storm-bound for about a week :sad: Still, the Guinness and Irish hospitality were both excellent :smile:

• Spook
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

We survived though, to sail another day. I know what you mean about Irish Guiness.

6. Beaver
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Agree with Pommers re the **/****, enjoying the week so far, not too difficult and fun.
    Not sure of the ‘tell’ in 12 A,I did do a check but could not find a match with matter-I suppose it means to make an impact.Apart from this fIne.
    Thanks Pommers for the pics-22D must be Crib Goch, remember the scramble in winter 1967 as a student- scared me to death-no ropes etc must have been mad

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

22d piccie is Striding Edge on Helvellyn in the Lake district. I’ve walked down it and it didn’t just make me nervous but gave me the real collywobbles.

• Beaver
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommers-looks very similar !

Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Oh – Crib Goch – the scariest day of my life – I was absolutely terrified. :sad: :cry:

Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

PS – The Cuillins on Skye aren’t much better.

• LabradorsruleOK
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

My daughter traversed Crib Goch when she & her now-husband did the Welsh 3000s challenge (see http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk). They went up to do the Cuillins in a day but were beaten by the weather.

7. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Another nice run out. Main hold-up was trying to find an anagram (making trip) of band to fit inside SE to make colourful. Over-thinking again my downfall.
    7d then became obvious but needed Pommers’ hint to confirm why.
    COTD was 4d.
    Thanks to setter for the pleasure & Pommers for hints.
    The picture of Striding Edge (?) brought back memories of my one & only climb of anything over 3K feet when we descended via the ridge. That was back when I knew no better.
    May I suggest you go to http://www.jeremieheitz.com & watch the taster video, the scenery is breathtaking but “on edge” he certainly isn’t.

8. pommers
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Hi All, in my rush this morning I forgot to put the good ones in blue – now done.

9. jane
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Can’t quite reconcile myself to the ‘tell’ bit of 12a but no other problems to report.
    Favourite has to be 8d with 20a coming up on the rails.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Pommers – the 20a clip brought back fond memories of sitting for hours on that rickety staging and then always shedding a tear over the lone piper.
    Yes – I had forgotten all about the gentleman in 21d!

Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Your favourite non-Irish setter has his Sleuth hat on in today’s FT

• jane
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you, CS – just printed it out.

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The best I can suggest re the tell in 12a is “The pressure began to tell/matter as rain closed in after 20 laps”. Not my fav but RayT gets away with worse than that :grin:

• Senf
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

‘Buried’ in the definition for tell in the BRB – to have weight. Then, a bit further down under ‘telling’ – significant.

• jane
          Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Senf – I’ve crept as far as something that has weight being something that matters but it still niggles.

• jane
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Pommers, but I still can’t come up with the same sense if I replace one word with the other – I guess it’s just a blind spot. I can get as far as tell = show but that’s about the height of it.
        As for comparison with Mr. T – how could you!!!

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

The chap in 21d was on the telly in 1996/7.

• Wahoo
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Or 30 years before that?

10. TonyT
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

All I can say is that 4 down was brilliant

Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I agree with the 2*/4*.
    When I first started I thought this was going to be a doddle but it wasn’t.
    It took me ages to make ‘matter’ = ‘tell’ but got there, sort of, in the end.
    27a had to be what it was but I was slow with the capital bit – dim, again.
    The 7d kind of clue does seem to be getting more popular – it’s almost becoming a Giovanni trademark.
    Brilliant clip for 4d – look out, Mark Knopfler.
    I liked 13 and 20a and 4 and 7d.
    Thanks to whoever set this one and to pommers.
    I was doing quite well with the Toughie but seem to have ground to a bit of halt.

• jane
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

So pleased that you mentioned the 4d clip, Kath – it wasn’t showing when I read through the review.
      Wow – that’s some skilful fingering!

• pommers
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

It was MP who steered me to it so a big ta to him. now that’s what I call busking :yes:

• jane
          Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

That must be something of a first – MP and myself appreciating the same music!

• Miffypops
            Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Who said I appreciated it? As ever I was only thinking about pleasing you Jane

Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

2.5*/4*. I really enjoyed this slightly madcap puzzle today and I am going stick my neck out and attribute it to Shamus.

My first thought for 7d was panic-stations but I couldn’t make sense of the parsing so I wisely waited to get some more checking letters before writing anything in.

It took me a while to convince myself that the middle bit of 12a is a synonym for matter, but I think it’s just about OK.

20a was my last one in, and my short list of the best of a fine selection of clues is 26a, 4d, 7d & 17d.

Many thanks to Shamus and to pommers.

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I wondered about Shamus but I also wondered if it might be another posthumous one from Petitjean – as you say, it’s “slightly madcap”. Perhaps Shamus will enlighten us if it were he.

• Shamus
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Unable to get on the site earlier this evening so just a belated thanks to Pommers for his blog and everyone for taking the time to comment

Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I’m getting so much better at spotting a ‘Shamus’ – a treat to have two crosswords from you on the same day. Thank you

13. Aunty Marge
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Got through ok but stuck with 4d as busses but eventually worked out 12a.

Favourite was 13a

14. fran
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure who the setter was ; it had a slightly different feel about it compared to other / normal !! Thursdays ? . I really enjoyed this one and would happily give it 4* if not more. However 12a caused a problem , and I’m still not sure about it , The down clues made me smile 4, 7,8 and 17d , my favourites . Thanks to the setter? and pommers .

15. Mcmillibar
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I was a little underwhelmed by this one. Parts of it were * and some clues well into *** overall I’m going to plump for **/**. I did complete it at 3am due to a bout of insomnia so there was probably not much that would have whelmed me. Thanks Pommers for sorting me out with 4d which I was unable to solve. Hey, Spring is on the way!

16. silvanus
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Mostly enjoyable with some excellent clues. but interspersed with a couple with which I wasn’t that enamoured.

Firstly the ticks – they went to 4d (my LOI), 9d and 17d. I didn’t like “the French from the south” in 6d, even our favourite crossword “gangster” to clue AL would have been an improvement methinks! I was another who was unconvinced by “matter” directly equating to “tell”, interestingly the CCD gives neither as a synonym for the other.

Thanks to today’s setter and to Pommers.

17. Miffypops
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Another very enjoyable fine puzzle and another fine blog. Thanks to all. My grandson Harrison is three today. Where did that time go?

18. Vancouverbc
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

**/***. After a worryingly slow start it fell in to place quite nicely. Favourites were 26a and 3&15d. Thanks to the setter and Pommers for correcting my bung in at 8d – sapphist indeed 😂The Sunshine Coast (so called) had over 4″ of rain yesterday 😎

19. LetterboxRoy
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

12a held me up, but otherwise plain sailing. The music clips are remarkable, especially Mr Spider-in-a-hurry-fingers.
    All very enjoyable, 7d fave. Many thanks to Mastermind, Pommers, and MP.

20. KiwiColin
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I see that RD has got in before me in suggesting that this is by Shamus. I agree with him. My last one in and favourite is 7d but there are plenty of others that were competing for the top spot.
    Thanks Mr Ron and pommers.

21. BusyLizzie
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed again s today, did have to work hard at some of the clues, and did not finish until the second sitting. But any day I can finish without needing the hints is great in my book. Would have posted earlier but was unable to get on the site for the past hour, little wheel just kept going round and round on both iPad and iPhone. 20a and 26a were joint favorites. Just a great all round puzzle.

22. BusyLizzie
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed again today, did have to work hard at some of the clues, and did not finish until the second sitting. But any day I can finish without needing the hints is great in my book. Would have posted earlier but was unable to get on the site for the past hour, little wheel just kept going round and round on both iPad and iPhone. 20a and 26a were joint favorites. Just a great all round puzzle. Second time trying to post. Keeps timing out.

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Me too: perhaps the gremlin is why there are a number of “regulars” missing.

23. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Even though I did most of it, there was so much I could’t parse, even after reading the hints, not all is clear,
    12a – What’s “some controversial medical treatment involving electricity.”??
    3d – What’s the “location for TV dinner”??
    7d – What’s a “reverse clue”??
    So, no, this one didn’t work for me.
    Thanks to Pommers, and the setter, even though I couldn’t get on with it, I still appreciate the effort and thought that goes into putting crosswords together.
    The site was down, I hope the idiots have not returned to cause BD more grief,

• pommers
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

12a – the treatment is ECT or ElectroConvulsive Therapy

3d – location of TV dinner is on your lap

7d – the wordplay is in the answer not the clue. PANIC anagramed (stricken) gives you IN A PC.

Remember 12a as it turns up from time to time

• Glendyboy
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Is it just me, or are reverse clues a step too far? Perhaps if I ever work one out, I will be a convert.

Enjoyed it very much, but was back to counting the number of cheats. Maybe tomorrow…

• Miffypops
        Posted February 17, 2017 at 1:28 am | Permalink

I thought the word apparently was the anagram indicator for the words IN A PC but as you say the explanation is tougher than the solve.

• Young Salopian
      Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Re 12a: Electroconvulsive therapy.

• Young Salopian
        Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Sorry. Pommers got there just before me.

• hoofityoudonkey
          Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks chaps, I still don’t really understand 3d, I don’t see where ‘over’ comes from, but that’s just me being thick…

Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

a 400 m race is run ‘over’ one lap of the track

• hoofityoudonkey
              Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Ok, ta, had not seen it that way…

24. Young Salopian
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Just goes to show that sometimes the shortest, simplest clues can be the most enjoyable. 4d was a brilliant clue, and my last one in. A very enjoyable puzzle and a solid 2*/4* from me overall. Thanks to the Thursday Mr Ron and pommers.

25. Jon_S
    Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Well, that was good. Edging into *** for difficulty, 7d easily my favourite today. Good to see the site back too. :-)

Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

1*/3.5* for my money. 4d had me straining the few remaining grey cells, until the penny dropped with a resounding clang, but favouritism goes to either 15d or 18a. Ta to the Mysteron, and to Pommers.

Posted February 16, 2017 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Just been able to get on. Loved this puzzle, a bit of everything.
    Enjoyed the massed bands at the EDI Festival. A friend and I went in the 1960s, camped on a golf course, came home late at night having thoroughly enjoyed it and dead tired, in the pouring rain, to find our tent had washed away. I was young once!
    Fave was 4d, how smooth was that?
    Thanks to Shamus and pommers. I expect everyone has gone to bed by now!

28. Posted February 16, 2017 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this, and managed it with a lot less trouble than with many a Shamus puzzle. I can’t choose a favourite, but agree with the blue selection. My late appearance here is partly due to the site problems but also because I’ve been sidetracked watching videos of dead musicians, being able to have the sound up a little higher than usual as I have the keys to the catflap this weekend.

Thanks to Shamus for the crossword, pommers for the review and BD for the site. (Hisses and scratches to the enemies of the blog.)

29. pommers
    Posted February 17, 2017 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Well, an interesting day . . .
    Pommette has survived the physioterrorism but now has to go again tomorrow and then three times a week for the next three weeks, phew!
    The site’s been down but is now back up so what’s going on there I haven’t a clue.
    World No1 Mark Selby got beat in the Welsh Open Snooker by a guy who’s only seventeen.
    My mum’s bought a new flat in Great Malvern so will be a near neighbour of BD. She’ll probably meet him down the pub!
    Otherwise it’s situation normal . . . at least for now.

Off to bed now so see y’all later.

30. Angellov
    Posted February 17, 2017 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Gave up trying to access BD earlier on and have now forgotten some of the comments I planned to make. Anyway I do remember it was a pleasant trip. Thank you Shamus and indeed Pommers particularly for the impressive musical interludes. Is 14a necessarily coloured I wonder? 3d and 8d amused.

31. Jose
    Posted February 17, 2017 at 11:24 am | Permalink

This one was OK, about average and quite enjoyable. 2*/3*.

32. Gwizz
    Posted February 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Ah, better late than never… Nice puzzle with several very smooth clues including 4d which really did tick all the boxes! 3/3* overall.
    Thanks to Shamus and to Pommers for the music (and the review).