Hints and tips by mercurial Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ****

Thanks to all who turned in to Saturday’s get together. A good time was had by all. Thanks in no particular order to:

• Jean Luc Cheval who brought goodies for all and some individual gifts too.
  • Cryptic Sue and Beet who brought cakes.
  • Prolixic who brought puzzles (and his lovely self).
  • Tilsit who has an everybody may write a clue puzzle, please request an answer if you want to write a clue for Tilsit’s puzzle.
  • Big Dave for organising it (but not for hijacking my parking space outside the Bridge House)
  • Senf, for flying across an ocean to be there. (Falcon, Pommers, 2ks, Mr Kitty. Where were you?)
  • Saint Sharon. Isn’t she just the best?
  • Everybody else too numerous to mention.

Below are my hints and tips to this typical offering from Rufus. They are there to help. I hope they do so. Definitions are underlined and actual answers are hidden beneath the greyed out boxes which say ‘click here’

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Completely honest followers of Scarborough and Leicester (4,3,6)
FAIR AND SQUARE:   The word which follows Scarborough in a very old folk song together with the word that follows Leicester to find London’s predominant entertainment areas particularly for cinemas

10a    Discourage editor returning to journalism (7)
DEPRESS: Our overworked shortened form of the word editor is reversed (returning) and followed by our regular term for journalism in general

11a    Uniformand its wearer? (7)
REGULAR:  A double definition the second being a permanent professional member of the armed services

12a    Remain in support (4)
STAY:  Also a double definition. The second being a brace or support

13a    Left out of clique, charming hostess whose guests made pigs of themselves (5)
CIRCE:   Remove the letter L (left) from a group of people with a shared profession, interests, or acquaintances.  What you are left with is a character from Greek mythology who invited Odysseus’s companions to a feast where by means of a dish laced with a magic potion and a wave of a magic wand turned them into pigs. Well that’s their story and they are sticking to it.

14a    Abundant Religious Instruction given by church (4)
RICH:   The initial letters of religious instruction together with the abbreviation for church

17a    Time for settling scores? (7)
EVENING:   A double definition. The first being a time of day usually from 6pm until bedtime

18a    Retribution seems in order (7)
NEMESIS: Anagram (order) of SEEMS IN

19a    Fired for sloppy editing (7)
IGNITED:  Anagram (sloppy) of EDITING

22a    Skilful when holding a chopper (7)
CLEAVER:   Begin with an adjective meaning quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; intelligent. Now wrap it around (holding) the letter A

24a    Country or Empire with no politician (4)
EIRE:  Remove the member of parliament (politician) from the word empire and you are left with the Gaelic name for Ireland

25a    Open a fresh page (5)
AGAPE:  A from the clue followed by an anagram (fresh) of PAGE

26a    Bird‘s speed when crossing the sea (4)
KNOT:   This dumpy little shorebird is also a nautical measurement for speed. I wonder how many of these per hour this bird can fly at?

29a    Decrease — one’s differences, say? (4,3)
IRON OUT:  A clever clue. Split the first word 2,5 to make it all allude to the answer
This clue was changed online to accommodate the amended answer to 8d:
29a This person is exceptionally self-conscious (7)
EGOTIST: a straightorward cryptic definition

30a    Painting technique Pam is converted to (7)
IMPASTO:   Anagram (converted) of PAM IS. Followed by the word TO from the clue

31a    Place of business for ruling class (13)
ESTABLISHMENT:   A double definition again. There are not many thirteen letter words which fit both definitions are there?

2d    A really quiet rest can bring calm (7)
APPEASE:  A from the clue. Quiet in a cryptic crossword clue usually denotes the letter P from musical notation. The words ‘really quiet’ in this clue suggest a double P. This is then followed by a word meaning rest

3d    Swim in three lanes (4)
REEL:   A lurker hiding within the letters of the words in the clue. How they refer to the word Swim I will leave to those of you who own the BRB. Possibly Senf who has a brand new copy

4d    Building a tree-house? (7)
NESTING:   A cryptic definition of what birds are doing when building a little house for their eggs and their cute little chicks.  Anybody who has seen the excuse of a pigeons nest would question the use of the word house.

5d    A contest between two Poles and old Arab (7)
SARACEN:  Place a sporting contest runners might be involved in between the two poles at either end of The earth’s axis of rotation

6d    Do some pressing (4)
URGE:  Make a strong effort to persuade

7d    Meetings of supporters possibly raise about £50 (7)
RALLIES:   Anagram (possibly) of RAISE around (about) the letter used to denote the Pound Sterling and the Roman numeral for 50

8d    Revamped edited files as classical carol for the faithful (6,7)
ADESTE FIDELIS:  Anagram (revamped) of EDITED FILES AS will give the Latin name of the carol Oh Come All Ye Faithful
This clue has now been revised online as the original anagram gave the incorrect spelling of said classic carol – 29a and 27d have also been revised:
8d Classical carol for the faithful feels edited as in error (6,7)
ADESTE FIDELES: Anagram (rather appropriately in the circumstances – in error) of FEELS EDITED AS

9d    Not a chorister is out of tune in such an arrangement (13)
ORCHESTRATION:  Anagram (is out) of NOT A CHORISTER

15d    Arrival time? (5)
BIRTH:   The time of one’s arrival as a baby upon this planet.

16d    Fossil resin that should be approached with caution (5)
AMBER:  This fossil resin that is sometimes used as jewellery is also one of our traffic light colours towards which one should proceed with caution

20d    Apprehensive over sun resorts (7)
NERVOUS:  Anagram (resorts) of OVER SUN

21d    Watch, no hands! (7)
DIGITAL:   A cryptic definition of a watch with numbers displayed but no hands to point at them

22d    They’re round games, perhaps (3,4)
CUP TIES:  The answer refers to games played during the rounds of a knockout competition.

23d    Might it be served at a stag party? (7)
VENISON:  The meat that comes from a stag or deer

27d    Concluding passage is a bit of flamenco dancing (4)
CODA:   The answer here is a lurker. Hiding away within the confines of the clue.
This clue was changed online to accommodate the amended answer to 8d:
27d Singer is keen to turn up (4)
DIVA: the reversal (to turn up in a down clue) of an adjective meaning keen

28d    Second million that Dad’s put into tinned food (4)
SPAM:  Take the abbreviations for Second and Million and place an affectionate term for your Dad inside. I cannot believe the following clip actually exists. Golly Bongs!

Is Mr Squires ironing pile building up? There seems to be a lot of pressing evening and ironing around this puzzle.

The Quick Crossword pun: bray+sand+bit=brace and bit

1. Senf
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Oh dear, MP can’t avoid answers in Latin (his Tilsit ‘write me a clue’ on Saturday was also in Latin). At least today’s answer had the clue written for him and it is an anagram.

Completed this very enjoyable puzzle at a quick gallop while waiting for my train to Manchester. The abundance of anagrams and lurkers helped. I did need some electronic assistance to find the charming hostess in 13a; I originally wrote in the generic type of charming hostess which (sic) was also a perfect fit.

Favourite by a country mile – 1a!

Many thanks to Rufus and MP.

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I did the same for 13a!!! Forgot about the pigs!!

2. phisheep
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Struggled at the end, as I’m convinced that 8d should be in the plural FidelEs, at least that’s the way I remember it (it’s *all* ye faithful). Google thinks so too.

and, aaaagh … the penny just dropped on that Waterloo clue from Saturday!

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Hi phisheep. Are you someone we know under a new alias?

• phisheep
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Very old alias actually, been around since the early days, but lots less time to post now.

• Mary
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Phisheep, long, long, time no see, I actually am not posting much these days so it is quite a coincidence that we are both here today!!! We used to have a lot of fun on here and on the clue writing site, can’t remember what its called now, I remember winning one week and having to do the full review of clues the week after!!!!! Hope you are keeping well :-)

• phisheep
            Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hiya Mary!

Good to see you again. Yep, those were good times. I’ve forgotten what Anax’s site was called – think I lost track of it when it changed platforms some years ago.

• Magichatuk
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Can you help re: Waterloo clue from Saturday?
      My penny is refusing to drop.
      Unless that would be breaking any rules.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Magichatuk, see Tilsit’s hint in his answer to comment 10 on Saturday.

• Magichatuk
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

In the words of a certain yellow cartoon character- ‘Doh!’

• Beaver
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I mentioned this brilliant clue in my blog comment, took me ages until the penny dropped, lets say the solution gave you the instructions for a substitution!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Any excuse …

• Beaver
            Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Baba o’ Riley,here comes Blucher !

• Magichatuk
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you- it was a perfectly fair clue only I just couldn’t see it! This is why I love this site – so many people willing to help out.
          I’m nominating that for clue of the day because it defeated me (which isn’t hard) even though I had the answer.
          Thanks to all who helped to end my anguish

• Stinky Pinky
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Yes you’re right, it IS Adeste Fideles, which made us take far longer than necessary to “iron out” 29 across – grrrr!

• Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Stinky Pinky

Several clues have now been revised.

• Angellov
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Hear hear phisheep 29a completely threw me thanks to having put in carol title correctly for 8d.

3. florence
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Well that was fun. If I am allowed more than one favourite, they are 1a, 13a, 29a, 8d and 21d. 13a was my last one in. 28d reminded me of school. We could have fritters instead of fish on a Friday. Thank you Miffypops and setter.

4. Badger
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:49 am | Permalink

8D definitely “FIDELES” – had me confused for quite a while!!

Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:50 am | Permalink

0*/3*. This was the ultimate R&W today with my writing speed the only constraint. Nevertheless it was still lot of fun with 1a my favourite.

I would have liked 13a to have been my favourite but her guests did not make pigs of themselves; she turned them into pigs. Still it’s a nice idea. Also phisheep is spot on about 8d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

6. Jose
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:52 am | Permalink

MP. I was doing a DT Toughie crossword by Messinae (?) in a Hamlyn book last night and one of the clues was: Rock legend found in “Electric Ladyland” (5). Just up your street, I thought. Mr K, can you please find out if that’s the only time this particular “rock legend” has appeared in a DT cryptic.

7. pete
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Fairly straight forward apart from 8d, couldnt work out the anagram and never heard of the carol before. I also was puzzled by the spelling, could only find it ending in ES. 1a was my favourite. 2.5*/2.5* Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

8. Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Back in the goldfish bowl swimming around a grey plastic castle. The elephants are washing their trunks and the neighbours are burning all the wood in Surrey.

It’s Monday. Rufus has provided us with a crossword in his usual style and Miffypops has produced a blog in his. Things must be normal. Thanks to both.

• LetterboxRoy
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
      Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

It’s a shame that’s normal. Sorry I missed you on Saturday, I would have liked to talk to you :rose:

• Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks LbRoy. I’m hanging on! Normal is a bit of a shock to the system but it could be worse. Yes, it would have been good to get beyond “hello” in the chat stakes. Next time, definitely. :yes:

• LetterboxRoy
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Look forward to (not cyber-speak) speaking to you in 363 days. :grin:

• Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Yes. Though that seems like an awful lot of days. Still, if every year is getting shorter …

9. Jose
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

MP. 29a – is that Joan Baez?

• Miffypops
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

It is

10. Geodebass
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I found this one pretty easy, even for me as a relative newbie to cryptics.( Did it online as an experiment, but prefer the printout, a 2b pencil and a good eraser!)
    Needed some electronic help for a couple, and didn’t know the lady in 13a either.
    I’m with Phisheep on 8d, that’s how I remember it too. */*** for me. Thanks to Rufus and MP.

11. bifield
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

A lovely start to the crossword week, not too difficult but very enjoyable. Favourite definitely 1a. Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops for his illuminating review.

12. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Not quite gentle but fun and satisfying.
    Favourite 1a took some time, having realised it wasn’t Leicester “Fosse” (soccer historians will know) had to forget football connotations.
    Thanks to Rufus & HgMP for hints presented in his usual entertaining way.

13. Beaver
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Not a difficult start to the week ,but lots of fun.
    Re Miffypops and 3D, you reel when your head swims!
    Only hold up was 8D , had all the checking letters in when I remembered my uncles masonic lodge which was ‘semper Fidelis ‘-with this information the first word soon yielded.
    Lots of Knots at Beaumaris which perch on the steep sea wall and seem oblivious to peering watchers.
    Liked1A ,most peoples favourite-There was a brilliant clue in Satudays Telegraph involving Waterloo- well worth a visit.

14. Deep Threat
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks to MP for the review.

Sorry to have missed many of you on Saturday by arriving rather late in the day, due to other commitments. On the plus side, there was a good evening in the Novotel on Friday.

I’m with others about 8d. The second word of the hymn title is very definitely ‘fideles’ (plural), as shown by the rest of the first verse and chorus: ‘laeti’, ‘triumphantes’, ‘venite’, ‘videte’ are all plural forms. I’m afraid Rufus has slipped up here.

15. RayS
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Very gentle start to the week. 0.5*/3* for me. 8d was the first one in for me and like some others I put fideles, which appears to be the accepted spelling. It all depends on whether ‘all ye faithful’ is singular or plural. Fidelis is the singular vocative case and fideles the plural. My old Latin lessons are never wasted! I lie 1a and 13a .

16. omar
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Easy-ish, despite some obscurities (8d for instance)…;like others, thought 1a was the stand-out

17. Jaylegs
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Yes I was yet another one who had an “e” instead of an “i” in the second word of 8d 😳
    But fortunately there was no 4 letter word beginning with “e” to fit 29a 😬 */**** My favourite was 1a once I had decided it was nothing to do with “Foxes” 🤔 Thanks to MP and to Rufus 😊 Nice photo of a Red Knot Calidris canutus 😏

Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

A fairly gentle start to the week apart from a couple of problems.
    I agree that the second to last letter in 8d should be an ‘E’ which is what I put – didn’t help 29a for a while but that’s what happens when I don’t write all the letters of the anagram down.
    My 13a ‘charming hostess’ was a witch which fitted even though I couldn’t see why – back to BD who says that if you can’t explain your answer it’s probably wrong. Oh dear.
    My first attempt at the answer to 6d was ‘iron’ because it so often is but 1 and 11a fixed that.
    I liked 26a and 3 and 15d. My favourite, along with most others, was 1a.
    With thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.
    A big pile of ironing to do and then on to Mr Rookie as a reward to myself.

19. Mary
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Same problem with 8d an E at 29a!!! admit to not getting 13a at all! Thanks for blog MP fav clue today 1a,

20. MalcolmR
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Well, as someone who failed his Latin O level, I’m not going to enter into the 8d discussions, other than to say I have never heard the Latin title before. Needless to say, I hadn’t heard of our Greek character with the pigs either. As a former chorister, I did like 9d.

**/*** for me.

21. stanXYZ
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Very pleased to see that the mistake in 8d has been ironed out.

I also originally put in “iron” for 8d – Do some pressing (4)

Which reminds me … must do the ironing … maybe tomorrow? Or the day after?

• stanXYZ
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Oops – 6d – Do some pressing (4)

22. Gwizz
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Unusual for one clue to be so outstandingly popular! Can’t argue though…
    Nice start to the week, in spite of the e/i discrepancy. 1/3* overall.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to MP for his review.

23. maagran
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

29A and 27D have now been given different clues to allow the correct spelling of 8D
    The computer would not accept my entry on the old puzzle. Had to start again in a fresh browser

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Just out of interest, as I don’t subscribe to Telegraph on-line puzzles, what are the new clues?

Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

8d Classical carol for the faithful feels edited as in error (6,7) :D

29a This person is exceptionally self-conscious (7)

27d Singer is keen to turn up (4)

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

:lol:
          Laugh of the day – well done Rufus!

• Senf
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

RD –
        29a – This person is exceptionally self-conscious (7)
        27d – Singer is keen to turn up (4)

8d – Classical carol for the faithful feels edited as in error (6,7)

Now MP will have to correct his hints and tips!

(But a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has gone.)

• Senf
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Rats – cryptyicsue beat me by 2 minutes!

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks anyway, Senf, to both you and to CS. Better twice than never.

• Senf
              Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks RD – I will blame Sir Richard Branson for delaying my submission (Virgin Trains wifi).

• Miffypops
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

My hints and tips are correct for the puzzle I solved. I won’t be doing double duty. The song is Oh come all he faithful to Bethlehem one by one on the only donkey we have. Singular then innit? Frank Sinatra sang it with an I.

• BusyLizzie
            Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, you mean I have to go it alone! Thought I was losing my mind there when the hint clue and the one I printed off were different. A bit more thinking then.

• Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

The new clues have been added, along with hints for those clues.

• Posted January 30, 2017 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Many thanks, BD.

• BusyLizzie
                Posted January 30, 2017 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Yes thank you!

• Organum
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

8d clue has been edited too, with appropriate wit!

24. shropshirelad
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, it must be Monday although unusual to find my near neighbour has made a slip up in 8d. Mind you, I made a slip up yesterday by being lazy and taking a taxi to Euston – then I left my mobile in said taxi. Thanks to the lovely staff in the information centre for helping me get it back. There are no public telephones in Euston – can’t believe that! Anyway, the puzzle didn’t hold me up for very long and I will join the rest of you by picking 1a as my COTD.

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and to the poorly schooled orphan boy for his review.

25. silvanus
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Very rare to see an error like 8d, I wonder if Rufus was thinking of “Semper Fidelis” and had his Latin endings confused. A pity that a) it wasn’t corrected in the paper before publication (apology tomorrow perhaps?) and that b) the error necessitated changing two other online clues as well. Hey ho.

I also agree with RD that Odysseus’s companions were made into pigs and didn’t make pigs of themselves, but I fully realise that doesn’t make for such a satisfying surface!

My joint favourites were 1a and 5d.

Many thanks to Mr. Squires and to Miffypops, it was good to have a little chat on Saturday.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I agree, Silvanus, but the 8d error was worth it for Rufus’ extremely funny correction.

• silvanus
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Absolutely, it displays his sense of humour to perfection :-)

Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I agree, without the error, we would never have had that superb clue! What a corker.

Posted January 30, 2017 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Goodness! That was Rufus at his very most benign.
    Not knowing anything about Latin, I bunged in 8d without question.
    I had met 13a in another crossword before, maybe not DT as I used to do The Times as well. That deserves honourable mention, as does 5d, but fave is 1a, following the masses.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to M’pops for his usual entertaining hints.

• florence
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I bunged in 8d too without question Merusa. You live and learn. I didn’t do Latin at school. Not sure I did English either.

27. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Splendid puzzle. Needed the hint for 13a so thanks MP. I thought 1a was such a neat clue so another thanks to Rufus.

Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

That was short and sweet . I am not complaining.
    I nominate 1a as my favourite.
    With thanks to Miffypops and Rufus.

Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Wanted to thank everyone for making my weekend in London such a pleasant experience and Shropshire Lad for the great Chinese meal. Should have taken the lobster had I known in advance.
    Everything was open at Heathrow in the early hours and he will be pleased to hear that I bought some Shropshire blue from Harrods.
    Funnily enough, I wrote Fidelis in 8d and didn’t notice anything wrong until I got on the blog.
    Was beaten by 22d. Never heard of this before.
    13a went straight in. One of my waiting staff called her daughter Circe despite my warnings.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

30. Jane
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Finally arrived home quite late yesterday following the ‘birthday’ weekend in London and then had to rather unexpectedly ‘hit the deck running’ this morning, so crosswords have had to take rather a back seat for once.
    Like Kath and some others, I tried very hard to make ‘witch’ work for 13a but had no problems with 8d because quite frankly I didn’t know how to spell it anyway! Latin was never my strong point……….
    More than happy to go with the trend and nominate 1a for favourite with a mention for 16d as the surface read raised a smile.

Thanks to Rufus and to MP – not least for continuing to find music clips he knows I won’t appreciate! In answer to your knotty question – most birds fly at a speed of between 20-40mph when simply progressing from A to B.

PS. A HUGE thank you to BD and everyone else who contributed to making the weekend so special.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Jane. What is not to like with today’s two clips. I sought them out thinking how happy you would be tapping your toes and singing along to both. It was nice to meet you again on Saturday. Same time next year apparently although just how Big Dave can book the date without the rugby fixtures being published is beyond me.

• shropshirelad
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

You haven’t posted any Perry Como – she was telling me how much she treasures your gift of a Perry Como CD last year. She never goes anywhere without it :whistle:

• Jane
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

OK – you win, I’ll pop it in the post for you.

• Framboise
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Jane, I would have loved to meet you! Hopefully this will happen next year! All the best.

• Jane
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Hope so, Framboise. Meantime, take good care of that little bundle of puppy.

• florence
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I had 8d as one of my favourites, not knowing it was wrong. I was so full of pride that I’d got the anagram right. My bubble has now been burst by a lot of very clever people. Fair enough. Sorry I missed you on Saturday Jane, but at least I signed your book last year. Hope you added a lot more signatures.

• Jane
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Florence,
        I’m up to 41 signatures at the last count – none of them duplicates but maybe I’ll need to write a list to keep it that way!

• Miffypops
          Posted January 30, 2017 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

ATTAgirl!

Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

We had happily put in the answer for 8d with an I without thinking to question its accuracy. The usual pleasant solve that we expect on a Monday.
    Thanks Rufus and MP.

32. Aunty Marge
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – only a 1* – thats why i solved it – Liked one across – agree with all on adeste fidelis – i always sang adeste fideles hence also took a while to figure out the ironing clue

(Along with many others)

Posted January 30, 2017 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I enjoyed this, a nice start to the week. I was beaten by 8d, looked up the answer and as I didn’t do Latin at school, had no idea it was wrong. I’ve just seen the new clue, and it’s very witty. Like most people, 1a was my favourite. Last in was 29a, the original version. Was 2*/4* for me. Luckily I didn’t get a Latin clue to write yesterday.

34. Sheffieldsy
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

We breezed this one for once, 0.5*/2.5*. It’s probably just as well as we have a limited window on Mondays – Mrs Sheffieldsy has her bridge lesson Monday morning, most of the afternoon is my first duplicate bridge session of the week and in the evening she’s off for a couple of hours practice!

I did Latin at school and paused two letters from the end when filling in 8d (in the paper paper). A quick look at the letters we had scribbled down revealed two ‘I’s and in it went without a care. Made the rest of the puzzle much easier, for sure. I recommend this method.

LOI was 13a, took a few seconds to dredge that one up. COTD clearly 1a.

Thanks MP and Rufus.

35. Framboise
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Hello everyone! Managed to solve today’s offering on the day rather than a day later, hurrah! Needed Miffypops’s review for 8d and 13a, otherwise no problem. Flagging a bit as I am writing this having been up since 4 am – guess why? Well done Big Dave for this blog which is so special to a lot of us and me especially! Next year I shall partake in the birthday bash with Mr Framboise and Fifi in tow. I would have loved meeting Jane and anybody else who sent me nice little notes as well as known faces. Back to the puzzle which was most enjoyable and on the easy side. Many thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

• Jane
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

They keep a big container of doggy treats on the bar so Fifi should enjoy herself!

36. Angellov
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

To coin a phrase I went through this from top to bottom like a dose of salts! Nevertheless some fun was had en route. D’oh I missed lurker in 3d. Thank you Rufus and MP who today was surplus to need apart from 3d parsing. 😐

37. Jon_S
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

As usual for a Monday I clocked a pretty slow time, perhaps *** for difficulty. One of these days I’ll get the hang of Rufus, but it wasn’t fated to be today. Latin phrases? Gah. Last in 15d, one of those clues that is obvious once you spot it, but not until then.

Posted January 30, 2017 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

A nice, albeit relatively untesting workout: 1*/3*. I enjoyed the Homeric connection at 13a; others have already pointed out the misspelling in 8d. Thanks to Rufus, and to Miffypops.

39. BusyLizzie
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I learn something every day from these puzzles, 13a was missing my education. Like some others I also wanted to put in iron for 6d at first, but I always doubt myself when it seems too easy, and this time it was. 1a was favorite.

40. bajanbeachbum
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

They did make pigs of themselves inasmuch as they ignored Odysseus’s warnings to cover their ears. So their swinish state was self inflicted.

• Posted January 31, 2017 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog bajanbeachbum

41. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

I am totally confused by 8d, how can the second word be ‘fidelis’ yet 29a be ‘egotist’?? Don’t understand!!
    Anyway the crossword was ok, I could not solve the anagram at 9d.
    Thanks to MP and Rufus…

• phisheep
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

The original answer to 8d was misspelt and misanagrammed as “Fidelis” (and 29a was “Iron Out”). the clues changed later in the day to correct 8d to “FidelEs” and change both the clues and answers to 29a and 27d to fit in.

Your 8d is the original version, your 29a is the revised one.

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks, yes got there in the end

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted January 30, 2017 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Ignore me, I have seen the revised hint…

42. Mcmillibar
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Read MP’s rating and thought, ‘ahh… good, this won’t take long’. I seem to be on my own going for at least two and a bit. Fun though. Also on my own probably for liking 23d for its slightly silly humour. Oh well, it’s late and you are all off to bed anyway.
    Thanks Ruf and MP for the fun. MP, what was that site again where you get some of your illustrations please?

• Miffypops
      Posted January 31, 2017 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Type your search into Google. Hit return. Select IMAGES.

43. Miffypops
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 2:57 am | Permalink

Type what you are looking for into Google and click on IMAGES.

• mcmillibar
      Posted February 1, 2017 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Thank you MP. I was pretty sure that, about 6-7 weeks ago, you mentioned in reply to someone else, another site. Maybe I am mistaken but I did look it up at the time and tried to remember it not with much success it seems.

Posted January 31, 2017 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Today’s paper contains an apology for the misspelling of Adeste Fideles in the solution grid ‘above’

45. David Kelly
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Raced through then got stuck on 13 across and 8 down. Know next to nothing about mythology and Latin 😀

46. Jose
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Another very mild Monday offering. I got 8d, with the I, from the fodder but it was new to me. I found 8d to be a bit incongruous – an obscure, difficult (but good) clue amongst many that were elementary/easy. Still quite good fun, though. 1*/2.5*.

47. Young Salopian
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Late to the party as usual for the Monday puzzles. 1a easily my favourite, and I personally doubt we will get a better one all week. This was a 1*/3.5* for me, with the enjoyment lifted a notch by 1a. Thanks to Rufus and MP. Now for Tuesday’s offering.

48. Margaret Beddard
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

It’s adeste fideles,not adeste fidelis,which affects 29 across.

Posted January 31, 2017 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

If you read all the comments, you’ll see that not only was this pointed out several times yesterday, but the clue and other intersecting clues were changed as a result. There was also an apology in today’s paper

49. rodger
    Posted January 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

In my paper 29 across is a different clue and answer

Posted January 31, 2017 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

If you read the (revised) hints, quite a few of the comments and the apology on the back of today’s paper, the fact that the clue for 29a had to change is explained.