Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Kia ora from Aotearoa.
It is hard to find anything positive to say about the weather we have been having during the last week. It has been cold wet and windy. Floods in some areas, wind damage in others and even widespread dollops of snow in some parts of the country. Not at all what we expect in January when most people are taking their summer holidays. Everyone is hoping that it will settle down soon and we can get back to the beach and barbecue scene that is so much part of a Southern Hemisphere summer.

Unlike the weather, Jay is much more reliable and unfailingly delivers a high quality puzzle every Wednesday.

Please leave a comment telling us how you got on.

1a     Comes to accept first people on the make (10)
ARRIVISTES : Comes or reaches a destination, contains the three character designation for first.

6a     Takes off, dismissing odd characters from, say, press (4)
APES : The answer is found by selecting alternate letters in the last two words of the clue.

10a     Popular preserve of a South American (5)
INCAN : The two letter word for popular and then preserve by putting in sealed containers.

11a     Half of profit being given in cashback is criminal (9)
REPROBATE : A cashback or refund surrounds the first three letters (half) of profit.

12a     Flourish, but seeing deprivation in return of Mafia (7)
BLOSSOM : A slang word for the Mafia is reversed and put outside a word for deprivation.

13a     Fire supplier that’s not as serious (7)
LIGHTER : A double definition. The first is a familiar item to smokers.

14a     Bearing and status (12)
WITHSTANDING : A synonym for ‘and’ and then another word for status.

18a     Acutely embarrassing group in church value prayers at heart (12)
CRINGEWORTHY : A group or circle is inside the abbreviation for the Anglican Church. Next, a word for value, and then finish with the central letter (at heart) of prayers.

21a     Workers to return, joining a single plant (7)
ANEMONE : A collective word for male workers is reversed and comes between ‘A’ from the clue and single or unity.

23a     Tact and art redesigned as lure (7)
ATTRACT : An anagram (redesigned) of TACT and ART.

24a     Reportedly man on range gets such protection (5,4)
CHAIN MAIL : A synonym for range that is often applied to mountains and then a homophone of a word for a man’s sex. (No sniggering at this hint please).

25a     Love stern reputation (5)
ODOUR : The tennis score love and then stern or serious.

26a     College porter going after the fourth of July (4)
YALE : The last letter (fourth letter) of July and porter or beer.

27a     Gun initially held by lunatic seen on the rocks (10)
            Gun initially held by stranger seen on the rocks (10)     (Newspaper version)
STONEHENGE : An anagram (lunatic/stranger) of SEEN ON THE contains the first letter (initially) of gun.

1d     A king — one in front of mob rioting with arms like this (6)
AKIMBO : ‘A’ from the clue then the chess notation for king, the Roman numeral one and an anagram (rioting) of MOB.

2d     Minister is member of board with first two members sacked (6)
RECTOR : The first two letters are removed from the title for someone who is on a corporate board.

3d     Where one loses sight or night vision, nap restlessly (9,5)
VANISHING POINT : An anagram (restlessly) of NIGHT VISION NAP.

4d     Sailor’s handiwork and most of charisma developed in South-West (9)
SCRIMSHAW : An anagram (developed) of CHARISMa after the ‘A’ has been removed is inside the letters for South and West.

5d     Throw out former pupil following exercise (5)
EXPEL : The two letters meaning former, then physical exercise and a pupil or learner.

7d     Fruit left worker in agony (8)
PLANTAIN : Another word for agony surrounds the abbreviation for left and a worker insect.

8d     The cheapest accommodation is always accepted by coach (8)
STEERAGE : A poetic word for always is inside a coach that we associate with the Wild West.

9d     Old hotel tonight — no different! (4,2,3,5)
LONG IN THE TOOTH : An anagram (different) of HOTEL TONIGHT NO.

15d     Girl mostly following sailor for protection (9)
TARPAULIN : A three letter word for a sailor and then a girl’s name without its last letter.

16d     Withdraw from event before end of relay, causing irritation (8)
SCRATCHY : A word meaning withdraw from an event that is often applied to racehorses and then the final letter of relay.

17d     Sack everybody pinching women’s online protection (8)
FIREWALL : Sack or dismiss from employment, then the abbreviation for women and a word for everybody.

19d     Primate‘s blessing coming after degree (6)
BABOON : A bachelor’s degree and a windfall or blessing.

20d     Leading actor emptied venue fast (6)
STARVE : The first and last letters (emptied) of venue follow a leading actor or screen idol.

22d     Bill supporting former lover’s demand (5)
EXACT : The former lover that we met in 5d is followed by a parliamentary bill once it has been passed.

Our favourite is 18a. We thought it a fitting description of today’s Quickie pun too.

Quickie pun    furrow    +    dime    +    sake    =    for old times sake

1. Senf
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Another very enjoyable puzzle, completed at a fast gallop; perhaps it was the Dalwhinnie assistance being consumed as an early toast to the immortal memory and my birthday (and practicing for the BB) – */****.

No electronic assistance needed, and only one reference to the Small Red Book to confirm 25a. There seemed to be some very familiar answers – 21a, 26a, and 22d?

The first time I think that I have seen the first word of 24a as a synonym for range.

Joint favourites 14a and 18a.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:04 am | Permalink

This very enjoyable puzzle proved to be a tale of two halves for me. I worked in my normal manner – clockwise from the NW and had alarmingly few entries as I headed into the bottom half, which then surprised me by falling into place almost immediately. After that, a bit of perseverance paid off in the NE corner but I needed to stop and come back later to finish the NW sector. So, a mixed bag of difficulty leading to an overall 3* time rating and 4* for enjoyment.

There were lots of goodies from which to pick a favourite, and my choice is 14a – a long word beautifully and concisely clued – with 18a in second place.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

3. Young Salopian
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this excellent Jay puzzle. Some inventive clueing, and a good mix to keep the fun going throughout. 4d was a new word for me but the wordplay was accurate enough to solve it. I would agree with the 2*/4* rating, 11a just beat 18a as my COTD.

Many thanks to all three birds involved in today’s production.

4. Gazza
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Thanks to the ever reliable Jay and the ever entertaining 2Kiwis. I liked the puzzle but laughed most at the Quickie pun. My favourite clue was 14a.
    I know that some people have exotic pets but I didn’t realise you could get a corporate boar. :D

• Jose
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Yes, and isn’t it cruel and a little dangerous to be riding it?

• Angellov
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:35 am | Permalink

LOL for me too with Quickie pun but have to admit I needed help to work it out – d’oh!

• Miffypops
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Naughty Gazza. After all you have the means to correct the hint. So might I but its best left alone I think.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. As we had geckoes as exotic pets last week we were tempted to leave the corporate boar as this week’s equivalent but on second thoughts decided to add the missing D after all.

5. Jose
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:16 am | Permalink

19d. That baboon seems to be afflicted with monumental haemorrhoids.

6. Angellov
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Not too taxing but good fun. 14a and 18a among several clever clues which were engaging to fathom. North went in first with a bit more application required in the South. Thanks Jay and the 2Ks.

7. pete
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:31 am | Permalink

A new word for me in 1a, but easily worked out. Not very taxing but quite enjoyable. Favourites were 18a and 14a. 2.5*/3.5* Many thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis

8. JonP
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A very pleasant puzzle today which didn’t take long to solve.

Thanks to the 2Kiwis and Jay */****

9. Spook
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Pretty good seem to be able to do most now without electronic or thesaurus help, how different from when I started doing the crosswords and blogging.
    Thanks to 2Ks and Jay.

10. Colin
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:53 am | Permalink

The NZ weather had better buck it’s ideas up for our visit mid Feb.

Another nice easy solve, three in a row.

Thanks for review.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

We also hope for better weather by then, for our sake as well as yours.
      Tell us more about your plans for visiting NZ.

• BusyLizzie
        Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Also hoping your weather improves as our friends depart from San Francisco tomorrow on their cruise arriving in Auckland on Feb 12 – don’t think they are expecting cold weather. Our South Florida winter is very pleasant right now, but was hotter than normal until recently.

11. Dottie
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Got stuck on 1a which from hints turned out to be a word I didn’t know, but hey ho you should always learn a new word every day! Otherwise a very enjoyable puzzle.
    Favourites 18a and 27a.

Thanks to Kiwis and Setter.

12. Beaver
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Good hair day after yesterdays grey mist !
    No particular hold ups ,a well clued and enjoyable puzzle so a **/**** or me.
    Have heard of 1a, but can’t recall seeing it in print so needed the checking letters.
    I do like charades, and 18a was top draw- not a common word either.
    Not head of 25a meaning reputation, but no doubt it will be in some reference book.

Posted January 25, 2017 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

A good crossword from, as others have already said, the reliable Jay.
    My last two answers were 1a – suppose I might have heard of it but had forgotten – silly, not the most difficult to work out – and 3d which I just couldn’t see.
    4d came into my head in a flash of light which was lucky as I didn’t know I knew it – it’s funny how brains work sometimes.
    I didn’t know that 25a could mean reputation and was slow with 2d – no excuses there.
    Whenever I see ‘Man, say,’ in a clue like in 24a I always think it’s going to be something to do with the Isle of Man because I’ve been caught out so many times.
    I liked 14a and 9 and 20d. My favourite was 18a.
    With thanks to Jay and to the 2K’s.

14. Jen
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Glad Senf is starting the day toasting the bard, we Aquarians do things properly!! Good puzzle and review thank you. 1 across was a new one to me.

• Senf
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

The benefit of living six time zones away from GMT. By mixing time zones, I can make a day last 30 hours and, using that, I will have another toast later on.

15. Graham
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

14a last one in and I put highstanding in. Thanks for putting me right.
    I didn’t realise 1d was a proper word having only heard it used in the brilliant sitcom Game On.
    (The hint for 2d needs editing)
    Thanks all.

16. RayS
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Not over challenging. Hadn’t come across 1a before but was able to work it out and then confirm in the dictionary. I guess 1.5*/4*. I liked 14a and 24a the best.

17. Paso Doble
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle from Jay as usual and thanks to the 2K’s for the blog.
    See you all on Saturday and some of you on Friday night,

18. pommers
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

An old-fashioned Jay puzzle where it was best to start with the downs. We only got five of the acrosses but then cracked eleven of the downs on first pass.

**/**** from us. 14a was favourite and 18a and 7d on the podium.

Ta mutchly to Jay and the Kiwis.

19. Miffypops
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thats three easier puzzles in a row. Only 1ac gave any trouble but was soon put in its place. I doubt that I would have got 8d if I hadn’t sulked through so many episodes of Antiques Roadshow. Thanks to Jay for an entertaining puzzle and thank you Colin and Carol. The problem with finishing early has been that Saint Sharon set me on as kitchen boy chopping meat and veg for Cornish (Warwickshire) Pasties. Six litres of Damson Gin has been bottled and Marmalade production is either about to begin or be left until Friday. Who Knows.

20. Omar
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle BUT not convinced re 14a….

• Senf
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Omar – this may help, ‘bear’ (minus the ‘ing’) is in the entry for the answer (minus the ‘ing’) in the Small Red Book. I like the hint provided by the 2Ks but think of ‘tolerating’ or ‘resisting’ as additional synonyms of ‘bearing.’

21. dutch
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Lovely, thanks Jay

18a seems to be a favourite description of rookie corner homophones

Thanks 2Kiwis

Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Sorry I found this to be a poor effort with words I hadn’t come across before in 1a and 4d. Most of this was 18a.
    For me it was */***
    Thx for the hints.

23. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

A couple of headscratching moments but it all finished faster than usual. I needed to check the meaning of 25a. I also thought this was going to be a pangram. Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

24. HughGfan
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Never heard of 1a got the arrives bit but needed the hint, thanks. otherwise an enjoyable workout of the brain cells. Unlike some other comments I quite liked 14a. As usual thanks to setter.

25. LetterboxRoy
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Agree with all the positives above. All done nicely but 11a top clue for me. I’ve been pronouncing and spelling 21a wrong all my life!
    Many thanks to Jay and to 2K’s for the review.

• BusyLizzie
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Also been saying and spelling that flower wrongly for ever, until it popped up recently, in the Quick crossword I think.

26. shropshirelad
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

As (nearly) everyone has said, this was an enjoyable romp in the ‘Crosswordland of Jay’ with not too much to hold up the solve. Lots of clues made me smile but I can’t nail down a particular favourite that stood out from the rest. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and the 2K’s for their review.

Good to see that Jean ‘Toilet’ will be attending the Birthday Bash – I hope the pub has an adequate supply of red wine to cope :)

• shropshirelad
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Forgot to say Happy Birthday to the Scottish Bard – slàinte :)

27. Mr Kitty
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology I was just able to finish today’s crossword at 34,000 feet somewhere near the southern tip of Greenland and then write this comment about it. A very nice puzzle overall. I liked 24a quite a lot, but I liked 18a even more, so that’s my favourite for today. Thanks to Jay for the crossword and to the 2Ks for their entertaining blog.

28. silvanus
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Yet another excellent puzzle from our midweek maestro, a veritable joy to solve. The only slight blip for me was the use of both “most of” and “mostly” as last letter deletion indicators, when other options could have avoided such a repetition.

Four ticks to Jay from this solver went to 14a, 26a, 27a and 20d.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and to the 2Ks, I hope you manage soon to see more of the traditional long white clouds rather than the dull grey variety.

Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed this, good fun. I had an antique 4d on my keychain once but it was stolen, I was so mad.
    I checked 25a in the thesaurus but it didn’t give “reputation” as a synonym; however, I suppose you can say someone is “in bad odour”?
    So much to like, 14a, 27a, 9d for instance, but fave is 18a.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2Kiwis for the review, bad luck about your weather.

Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find it all that easy but I certainly enjoyed the challenge .
    There were so many great clues but I think I’plum for 18a as my favourite.
    What a beautiful place you are in ! Thanks to the Kiwis and Jay.

31. Bluebirds
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

No ‘lunatic’ in my newspaper version – 27a?

1a foxed me and just couldn’t get my brain to work out some of the word associations

Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

The paper has ‘stranger’ as the anagram indicator

• LetterboxRoy
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Me neither – I’ve got ‘stranger’ – suppose they’re both anagram indicators of sorts.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks for pointing that out. The hint is now adjusted to have both options covered.

32. Jane
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Late in today so I think it’s all been said.
    Very enjoyable puzzle with only a couple that gave pause for thought – 1a was a new word for me and 25a needed checking in the BRB as I’ve never associated the answer with ‘reputation’ – doubt I’ll remember for next time!

14&18a vying for top honours with 20d getting a mention for the smile factor.

Thanks to Jay and also to 2Ks. Hard to feel too sorry for your experiences with the variable weather – it’s like that all the time for us!

33. Amanda
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t get 16d, si thanks for your answer!

Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Nothing to do with crosswords at all but I heard something today that made me laugh. The olympic gold medalist swimmer, David Wilkie, was told off for swimming too fast in his local pool and he was being interviewed about it on the radio. The interviewer ended up by asking him if, now that the people at the pool know who he is, they had offered him a fig leaf. I suspect he meant an olive branch – well, I hope so anyway.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

:lol:

Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Oh, thanks for the much needed guffaw, Kath!!

Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Morning all. The proofreader is in trouble again for the missing D in the hint for 2d. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we still had the draft copy of the hints so it became very obvious which one of us was responsible for the error. Tut tut tut!
    We had a slight edge of anxiety when we were doing the blog as the weather conditions had caused us to lose internet access for short spells just before starting time. As it turned out we need not have worried as it all held together at the crucial times.
    Enjoy the party at the weekend all you lucky people who can make it. We are soooo envious.

36. Aunty Marge
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Dear Dave

I finally cracked it!!! I’m Aunty Marge at last!!!! Now I can see ‘Name’!!!!

AND I got the puzzle out all on my own some again – but then it was a 2* so perhaps not as good an achievement as yesterday

All the best

Aunty Marge

• Miffypops
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Now you need to sort out your own avatar. See FAQ No 22

37. Gwizz
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Good selection of clues with a couple of less obvious answers in 1and 18a. The latter was my favourite and overall I think 2/3*.
    Thanks to Jay, and to the 2K’s paddling about down under.

38. Jaylegs
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable but not straightforward puzzle 😏 ***/*** Favourites 27a ( I was one once), 15d and 24a which held me up for some time as I was sure it was someone riding the range with his legs protected by leather chaps 🙁 As always thank you to the 2x Ks and to Jay for cheering up a cold, foggy Wednesday 😰

Posted January 25, 2017 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very well constructed puzzle from Jay, lots to keep the grey matter turning over. Took me ages to get 19d&1a, the penultimate and last in respectively. I’ve seen a lot of 21a’s recently, they must be in season :-) I enjoyed 3d because it reminded me of the movie with the same name, Kowalski was the lead character 1971 I think. Favourite was 18a, perhaps Mr Kitty can tell us how often this has appeared, such an unusual word. Was 2*/4* for me.

Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Whizzed through this one. Unusual for me when solving a Jay.
    Made me feel quite chaffed.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2ks for the review.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Do you mean chuffed? Chaffed or chafed is a different matter entirely

41. BusyLizzie
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Satisfying challenge today; never heard of 1a and would not associate 25a with reputation, so thanks to 2 KiWis for filling in these holes in my education🙂

42. Jon_S
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

About ** for difficulty sounds ok. Pleased to get both 1ac and 4d from the wordplay, both being new to me. All in all an enjoyable mid-week diversion.

43. Posted January 25, 2017 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

While one kitty soars over the clouds the other is barely above sea level. That’s why I’m rather late commenting on this greyest of days (so grey as to be almost white… ), though I did the crossword ages ago on a surprisingly un-packed tube.

The puzzle was of course the usual Wednesday goodness, and I could echo most of the comments above. 1a was new to me but I rode the wordplay bus safely home; my real dumbo moment was in the (undisclosed and staying that way) amount of time it took to work out the two letters not at the beginning of 2d… In my defence I was tired and glum.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis for maintaining the high Wednesday quality.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 25, 2017 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Or grey enough to be almost black? I cannot recall a clue causing so much comment since the last one that I cannot remember.

• LetterboxRoy
        Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

You’re funny, will be pleased to meet you on Saturday :grin:

• Jane
          Posted January 25, 2017 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Does that mean you’ve decided to come? Do hope so.

• LetterboxRoy
            Posted January 26, 2017 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Yes, Jane. May remain anonymous though!

44. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted January 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Another cracking puzzle from Jay, great clues.
    Just needed a hint for 14a, I totally missed the significance of ‘and’..
    I felt ‘rocks’ was a bit disrespectful to 27a, one of the wonders of the ancient, or any other, world!!!
    I’m sure we have had 21a recently.
    Fav was 18a
    Thanks as ever to Jay and 2xK’s for a great blog

45. Tstrummer
    Posted January 26, 2017 at 12:48 am | Permalink

I loved it: witty, inventive, smooth and doable. I think I have only seen 1a written down in Private Eye, so I very much enjoyed that, but not as much as the very slick 27a, so that’s first past the post tonight from a very strong field. Fingers crossed for the Ks and thanks to them and my favourite setter (I may have let that slip before). 1*/5*